You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Duca d'Aosta really needs a buff

20 comments in this topic

Members
1,201 posts
3,483 battles

Other than its speed and good looks this light cruiser is really frustrating to play...

Good points..

• 12k range 50 knot sea mine torps sometimes hit slow witted players
  • Its fast
  • It has sonar and defensive fire for a tier 6

Bad points..

• 90% of the time its uptiered to tier 8 games
  • Tier 8's blap it in 1 salvo, any range, any angle
  • It fires empty beer can shells that have ultra low damage, low fire chance and the AP is only effective against tier 5 light cruisers at close range. Last game 136 HE hits, 1 fire 22k damage..
  • AA is very poor for a cruiser
  • Secondary guns are feeble and useless
  • It has  Battleship concealment, which is stupid seen its small and narrow, meaning its easily spotted and killed, often 1 or 2 minutes  into a game..

Basically unless its in a tier 5-6 game it is a chore to play, its just like playing survival. Most other light cruisers have good points like excellent AA, fast firing HE machineguns or good stealth, this tub has nothing and its as premium boat..

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 6

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
2,360 posts
24,137 battles

One improvement is to give this ship SAP. You have to play this ship as a support ship at the end of its gunnery range. Otherwise its a port queen.

[--V--]
Members
1,602 posts
14,841 battles

Duca d'Aosta is another example of WG selling a turd.   Just like Oklahoma and many other ships which have NO upside other than training captains.  Except, you can't earn enough xp/credits in her to make it good at that.

Port queen ---- WG will never buff.

• Boring 1

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Personally, I think she performs fine.  Like many other Premiums, she fits a certain niche.  Once you find that niche, her ratings go up.  On terrain maps (she does need terrain help in many matches), she is perhaps the best DD killer at tier.  Then there are those times you can sit behind terrain, pop the spotter, and rain the pain (some might call it tickling) on BBs.  Again, sort of a niche.  You can sometimes even do it in the open if you need to draw red attention off a friendly.  in this case speed and WASD can be effective.

Members
867 posts
9,353 battles

One of the few ships I regret buying.  In theory, it should be a good ship.  But it has a terrible health pool, terrible armor, and needs about 1km longer range on it's guns. I tried to make it work when I first got it, but gave up.  Now it only comes out for snowflakes and occasional co-op goofing around.

[VIGIL]
Members
1,409 posts

Did this ship come in some kind of bundle/crate event?  I have it, but haven’t sailed it.  I feel like got it and the Polo in something.

[VOP]
Members
1,151 posts
2 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

One improvement is to give this ship SAP. You have to play this ship as a support ship at the end of its gunnery range. Otherwise its a port queen.

Personally, I like the HE and rather it be left that way.

[-HUGS]
Members
872 posts
12,475 battles

Personally, after 62 battles, I get   62.9% WR, 2040 PR, 43.2k avg dmg. It took me a solid 15 games to get somewhat comfortable but at this point, I think she's a solid T6 light cruiser. But yeah.... You'll need a good commander; she's not going to perform that well with your base 10pts commander. 

Indeed, it's hard to play against T8. But so is any light cruiser that has limited range and no smoke.   You'll want to improve spotter plane duration; the coal upgrade might be a good choice. The extended range it provides is critical when bottom tier.
Her armor make it hard to play in open water but she is probably one of the best T6 ship to kite at range and dodge shells.  36 knots, good turn radius..  With steering gear mod, she is super agile and doesn't bleed that much speed when turning. Go dark for launching those torps behind you, resume HE spamming.

If I look at wows-numbers, she is far from being the worst cruiser at T6 so I doubt she'll get a buff. Try playing more T6 light cruisers maybe? Dallas might be good choice; it's another light cruiser that forces you to learn to use terrain and develop solid map awareness.

Edited by Mr_Argamas

[SPTR]
Members
28,204 posts
20,705 battles

Im all in for a concealment buff and rof buff as empty beer cans should be easier to load into the breech than actual shells.

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

No worries...she'll get a buff, but only in the Kerch "Russian" version.  'Cause everything gets better when it becomes Russian.

:Smile_hiding:

[SALVO]
Members
15,648 posts
9,782 battles

Only thing she really needs is SAP... she should be more attuned to the TT line. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
6,666 posts
11 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Tier 8's blap it in 1 salvo, any range, any angle

I dropped a Duca from 100% to 20% in one good salvo with a Hawkins...(T5 8-in UK cruiser, that has as big a citadel as Duca...)

Members
4 posts
7,783 battles

Duca is just a ship you can't be too aggressive with and have to watch incoming fire to turn or angle out of the shots.

Honestly, the thing is Match Making should do what they do with IX is to have straight 7's or have them be 5 through 7. Match-making is harsh mid-upper tiers being that 1 and 2's are pretty nonexistent. 

3 - 5 Low Tier

4-6 Mid Tier

5-7 Middle-Upper tier

8-10 High Tier

But doubt Wargaming would ever do such a thing, there is alot of ships that gain dust in the port because they can't be played decently when out tiered. 

[GLF]
Members
1,312 posts
23,123 battles

I got mine free in a T6 premium crate, and immediately wished i could un-get it free in a premium crate.  

I refuse to play it in randoms.  PVE only.   Just another boring average premium that was out before the rest of its line, and therefore gets nothing unique from its line also.  

Your best course of action with this ship is to forget that you have it.  

[ROCIN]
[ROCIN]
Members
747 posts
15,944 battles

Best thing about owning Dd'A is knowing you will never draw it again from a Christmas crate.

:cap_happy:.

Edit typo

Edited by contag10n
  • Haha 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,585 posts
30,508 battles
5 hours ago, Dudefella said:

Did this ship come in some kind of bundle/crate event?  I have it, but haven’t sailed it.  I feel like got it and the Polo in something.

Duca never got a special release, she was a plain 'ol Premium release from a very long time ago.  It's possible you got her as something like a Santa Crate drop.

1 hour ago, contag10n said:

Best thing about owning Dd'A is knowing you will never draw it again from a Christmas crate.

:cap_happy:.

Edit typo

I still remember people selling off Premium Ships they didn't like, and winded up getting them again from Santa Crates :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
4,709 posts
16,427 battles

Give it SAP and keep HE/AP WG! 

Other than that, it's a light cruiser. So it's weaknesses are what most light cruisers have to deal with. edit: ALSO BUFF ABRUZZI 

itta.jpg

Edited by Rollingonit

Members
1,201 posts
3,483 battles

My Pensacola, another forgotten cruiser nailed a Duca d'Aosta at 15k earlier. Weird how both the Pepsi and Duca d'Aosta are both ultra vulnerable, yet the Pepsi is 10x more capable and powerful.

[_AAM_]
Alpha Tester
488 posts
10,205 battles

Personally, I see nothing wrong with her.  Play her at ranges of better than 11km, and use your speed and maneuverability to throw of the aim of BBs and CAs/CLs.  In this way, she's kind of similar to ATL when caught in open water, but faster and with shells that don't "float." 

Edited by dingodude

[4HIM]
Members
3,654 posts
21,261 battles

Both the Duca botes suffer a bit from being released well before the tech tree line. They fire HE while the silver ships don't. An optimal captain would take DE, but that's a wasted skill for tech tree ships. Used to run DE on the Duck-in-a-toaster when it was my only RM ship. Did fine lighting fires. Nowadays not so much. 

But it's fun launching sea mines and a couple minutes later seeing torp hit ribbons pop up. Then remember that I did indeed launch them.