You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lady_Athena

This game needs less ships, more maps...

11 comments in this topic

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,167 posts
3,032 battles

Not gonna lie.. It does...

Constantly spitting out ships after ship, line after line... Why not spit out some new maps for every tier range as well once in awhile? Or switch up the maps as well... Wows Legends has all the same maps, just rotated 90 degree's and holy crap does it make the map feel completely different since the dynamics of the maps change so heavily.....

Even if all you do is just randomize the start locations of the teams.. Sometimes North/South, Or East/West, or North East/South West etc. etc. etc. would do wonders to keeping the battles more dynamic and interesting and it wouldn't even require any major dev work.

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Supertester
4,267 posts
4,646 battles

I would imagine the map development team has been busy working on making maps playable for submarines, so after they re-do existing maps, I imagine new maps will start releasing soon

• Haha 1

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,167 posts
3,032 battles
10 minutes ago, Noshiro_ said:

I would imagine the map development team has been busy working on making maps playable for submarines, so after they re-do existing maps, I imagine new maps will start releasing soon

That's extremely optimistic of you. Seeing as how the most they've done with maps is tweak them a bit, while removing old ones.. it's been years since we had a new map..

Then again, everything I suggested would be brain dead easy to do, even while they were tweaking maps for submarines. But Wargaming seems to think they have they created every map with perfect calculations and any change to them is going to be game breaking... Which is a completely false lie they tell themselves.. just switch up the spawns like I said and you literally more than quadrupled your map sizes because of how different each one will feel depending on the angle and diversity of the maps, and dynamics.

Members
1,781 posts
18 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

Constantly spitting out ships after ship, line after line... Why not spit out some new maps for every tier range as well once in awhile?

Money, the answer is money.

I would hazard a guess that new ship lines with their associated launch/early-access events and new premiums are one if not the primary revenue stream by now. Whales will be whales, they will buy bundles for up to 72k doubloons to get the new T9 and the camos 2 months earlier. Plus, they come with a new dockyard event and premium ships.

New maps won't bring more money, they can't be monetized. They will only add those if player numbers take a hit to the point that whales are leaving the game or invest less. As long as they can sustain enough f2p players to keep those players who buy all the new things interested in the game, there will only be new ships.

Those few devs and their man hours that are allocated to new maps are busy prepping things for subs (and occasionally messing things up for surface ships, because screw thinking ahead what adding underwater environments mean for surface ships). Once subs are working and those devs are "free", then maybe there will be new maps.

My guess is, we will see a lot more new ships before we will ever see a new map again.

• Cool 1

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,547 posts
1 hour ago, Lady_Athena said:

That's extremely optimistic of you. Seeing as how the most they've done with maps is tweak them a bit, while removing old ones.. it's been years since we had a new map..

Then again, everything I suggested would be brain dead easy to do, even while they were tweaking maps for submarines. But Wargaming seems to think they have they created every map with perfect calculations and any change to them is going to be game breaking... Which is a completely false lie they tell themselves.. just switch up the spawns like I said and you literally more than quadrupled your map sizes because of how different each one will feel depending on the angle and diversity of the maps, and dynamics.

Well we don't know how long they have been working on the underwater stuff for subs.  Once they started, it became kind of pointless to add new maps until the current maps are all updated to handle subs. 

In order to add a new map, they would need to take time away from updating the existing ones which pushes subs off further and further.  I am guessing we will start to see some new maps again, after subs have settled in.

• Cool 1

[NOCAP]
Members
2,544 posts
21,038 battles

Pretty much what people said about updating the maps. they had to redo every map to add underwater textures, features and flow in terms of gameplay. this takes quite the amount of time, wouldn't be surprised if they've been working on it for over 2 years and are still hashing it out since you can tell that a lot of the bugs with underwater reefs grounding your boat has suddenly disappeared. This being said the map creation / balance department was probably quite busy with everything, i would expect to see a new map around summer - winter next year.

- note that the ship creation / balance dev team is entirely separate from the map dev team, they specialize in different things and do different jobs. transferring the ship dev team to the map dev team isn't going to really solve anything.

[TWFT]
Members
1,608 posts
42,361 battles

WG dose not see it that way.

WG dose not make money on new maps, but they rake in a ton of cash when they sell the new shiny OP ship to all the noobs think that the newest toy will get them wins.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,502 posts
26,082 battles
6 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Well we don't know how long they have been working on the underwater stuff for subs.  Once they started, it became kind of pointless to add new maps until the current maps are all updated to handle subs.
In order to add a new map, they would need to take time away from updating the existing ones which pushes subs off further and further.  I am guessing we will start to see some new maps again, after subs have settled in.

Seriously, I don' think so....

Ships are like clones - all you need is a genetic blueprint and you can easily make just about anything else from it !  Cookie Cutter status quo economics of a sustaining Red Ocean business...... "enlarge what is already offered to offset the Innovation of new products we can not afford..."

But, in reality, the real reason they won't do new maps isn't submarines - it's missiles..............  Missiles on the small, time compressed maps will not work as envisioned.  That's where the real money is:  new Cold War missiles ships.

Our host dismissed their "heavy tech hitters" what, two years ago (the R&D team) if I remember correctly because the game isn't isn't ever going to exceed where we are today - status quo, easy to produce clones......

Edited by Asym_KS