You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LeNinjaPenguin

[Resolved 0.10.7] Venezia Rudder Shift Mods Non-functional

10 comments in this topic

[13TH]
Beta Testers
3 posts
9,043 battles

Issue: The Steering Gears mod 1 and mod 2 do not seem to have an effect on the Venezia's rudder shift time
Expected Result: Steering Gears mod 1 should bring the rudder shift time from 13.6 seconds to 10.88 seconds and Steering Gears mod 2 should bring it down to 8.16 seconds. A combination of the two should bring it down to 6.53 seconds.
How to Replicate: Use the rudder when sailing the Venezia with and without Steering Gears mod 1, 2.
Screenshots/Replay/Supporting Info:

Fitted Venezia with all the rudder shift mods - listed rudder shift time is 6.5 seconds.

Rudder shift time is the time it takes for the rudder to turn from full port to full starboard (or vice versa).

I timed the rudder shift and it seems to take 6.5 seconds to shift from centred to full i.e. it's half the speed it should be/takes twice the amount of time to shift. Timed a few other ships' rudders in a training battle to see that the listed rudder shift time is indeed from hard port to hard starboard and not from centred.

Have not timed the rudder shift without mods as I don't want to spend doubloons or lose 1.5 mil credits to find out.*

Unsure if any other ships are affected.

*EDIT - have tested with and without Steering Gears mods and there is no discernable difference - rudder shift seems to default to 13.6 seconds regardless.

EDIT 2 - format, brevity

EDIT 3 - This issue has been resolved with patch 0.10.7

[CVA16]
Members
8,549 posts
26,057 battles
26 minutes ago, LeNinjaPenguin said:

Rudder shift time is the time it takes for the rudder to turn from full port to full starboard (or vice versa).

I think the rudder shift time is the time from neutral to full port or starboard. Not from one extreme to the other. Which would take about twice the listed time.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

I think the rudder shift time is the time from neutral to full port or starboard. Not from one extreme to the other. Which would take about twice the listed time.

This ^

Members
6,549 posts
8,464 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

9 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

This ^

It is not. It's from full port to full starboard, or vice versa.

You can test it out yourself in a training room. If the rudder is neutral, it only takes half the listed time in port for the rudder to shift from neutral to port or starboard.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,299 posts
16,062 battles

@Sabot_100 @RipNuN2

Yeah, it's deceptive, but Rudder Shift time in port is from one extreme to the other.

So, if a Venezia has an 11 second Rudder Shift, it's 5.5 seconds from Neutral to Hard Left/Right.

[13TH]
Beta Testers
3 posts
9,043 battles
On 7/19/2021 at 12:44 AM, Sabot_100 said:

On 7/19/2021 at 2:09 AM, RipNuN2 said:

This ^

On 7/19/2021 at 12:16 AM, LeNinjaPenguin said:

Timed a few other ships' rudders in a training battle to see that the listed rudder shift time is indeed from hard port to hard starboard and not from centred.

I initially thought this as well and hesitated to post a bug report before testing so I timed some battleship rudder shift times (because they were longer) so I could get a more accurate/discernable timing and also tested a slow cruiser rudder shift to see if it was a class specific issue and found that rudder shift time is from one extreme to the other.

As some BB rudder speeds are in the 15-20 second range, times listed as neutral to full would have a rudder shift from one extreme to the other in the order of 30-40 seconds which is easily refutable - even with my imprecise method of hitting the rudder keybinds and my phone stopwatch at the same time, it can be inferred that the listed time is indeed from one extreme to the other.

I'm unsure whether the bug is due to the interaction of the rudder shift modifications to the ship itself (i.e. without rudder shift mods the listed time is accurate) or maybe an inherent coding issue with the ship which would mean double rudder shift time across the board. I also can't measure the rudder shift time accurately enough to know whether or not it's just defaulting to the unmodified rudder shift time.*

EDIT - Issue at present seems to be Steering Gears Mod 1 & 2 are not working for Venezia

Edited by LeNinjaPenguin
Updated after more testing

[Y0L0]
Members
749 posts
33,551 battles

It's from one side to the other, not to the middle. Simply playing the game shows this. Did some people actually think Montana takes 44 seconds to move the rudder from left to right?

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,116 battles

I'm glad the shift is 12sec, because a rudder shift in the DD realm would be ridiculous for a long boat. And Venezia is already ridiculous for the sheer, ahistorical number of guns it carries.

[13TH]
Beta Testers
3 posts
9,043 battles
11 hours ago, Dr_Seadog said:

I'm glad the shift is 12sec, because a rudder shift in the DD realm would be ridiculous for a long boat. And Venezia is already ridiculous for the sheer, ahistorical number of guns it carries.

Base shift should be 13.6 seconds on the Venezia which is fairly average for a Tier X cruiser - even the Stalingrad has a faster rudder shift. The bug here is that without rudder shift mods, its effective rudder shift would now be ~27.2 seconds which actually is ridiculous and the whole reason for this bug report.*

The reason for outrage about a CA rudder shift being in the realm of stock DD rudders is because there's actual utility in a full rudder build for the Venezia and very few others - most cruisers have the option of running their ship with a 60% faster rudder shift but generally choose not to as they're less effective than other builds. Whether this is an issue with the efficacy of the rudder shift mods, the general speed of cruiser rudder shift, or the way this looks in comparison to other classes and sizes of ship remains to be seen.

A not insignificant number of ships in this game are ahistorical - whether they're unbalanced or ridiculous is a topic for another thread.

*EDIT - fortunately it seems that from some rudimentary testing it's the rudder shift moddifications that are not working properly and not some phantom doubling of the rudder shift across the board. For most players who run a concealment build who may have Steering Gears Mod 1, the lack of improvement to the rudder probably isn't too noticeable which may explain few people experiencing this issue.

Edited by LeNinjaPenguin
Updated after more testing

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,116 battles

Well, that wasn't super clear, probably should say something about the problem being a base rudder shift twice some battleships for a cruiser.