You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DJ18

Lutjens or Pommern?

36 comments in this topic

[MTPA]
Members
40 posts
3,884 battles

Hey everyone! I was debating weather to use my coal to get Gunther Lutjens or Pommern. 

Firstly, let me mention that I main German ships and have a lot of German premium ships including; Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Agir, and Prinz Eugen.

With the commander rework supposed to be coming out soon I was thinking I should go with Lutjens as he will be better again with German secondary builds. I think with the rework he will be a good pick up. 

However, at the same time I am worried that the Pommern might become unavailable and would like to pick her up for if/when she is taken from the game. Again I think Pommer will also be a good pick up with this rework coming out and it should be more effective again much like it was before WG nerfed secondary's. 

I know there is probably better ship I should spend my coal on however, I must stress that I main German ships and I prefer sticking with them. 

What are your thoughts about either picking up Lutjens or Pommern? 

Thanks! 

• Cool 1

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,419 posts
17,160 battles

If you have a lot of German premiums and play them enough, Lutjens could definitely be a viable pick. The 10.0 commander rework did make the legendary captains more useful since they have separate builds for each type, but don't forget the significantly increased xp costs for the max level commanders. The legendary commanders still come as 10 pointers, and now require almost twice as much xp to reach max level from there as before.

As for Pommern, I don't see it going away any time soon. Ships tend to get removed either because they're extremely strong/overpowered, or very strong and very popular. Pommern is nowhere near as popular as some recent pulls (Georgia, Alaska, JB, etc), and isn't that strong outside close range engagements. If we get another round of the t9 clan brawls or old ranked sprints, it will shine there, but in randoms it struggles at the long ranges typical of high tiers. There's always a chance WG could pull it to force FOMO purchases if their normal sales on it have dried up, but I don't think it's at that point yet. 

Between the two, I'd personally favor the ship over the commander in almost every situation, but that's partly because I already have a max or near max level commander in every nation, and the increased xp cost to make that legendary commander as useful is less appealing. 

Edit: Plus, we have never seen a commander pulled from sale yet, and if one goes I would be shocked if Lutjens goes before Kuznetsov based on general popularity and strength.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Cool 2

[SGSS]
Members
6,915 posts
25 minutes ago, DJ18 said:

Hey everyone! I was debating weather to use my coal to get Gunther Lutjens or Pommern. 

Firstly, let me mention that I main German ships and have a lot of German premium ships including; Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Agir, and Prinz Eugen.

With the commander rework supposed to be coming out soon I was thinking I should go with Lutjens as he will be better again with German secondary builds. I think with the rework he will be a good pick up. 

However, at the same time I am worried that the Pommern might become unavailable and would like to pick her up for if/when she is taken from the game. Again I think Pommer will also be a good pick up with this rework coming out and it should be more effective again much like it was before WG nerfed secondary's. 

I know there is probably better ship I should spend my coal on however, I must stress that I main German ships and I prefer sticking with them. 

What are your thoughts about either picking up Lutjens or Pommern? 

Thanks! 

Always the ship. Cap makes it somewhat better but ship always.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
6,915 posts
9 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

If you have a lot of German premiums and play them enough, Lutjens could definitely be a viable pick. The 10.0 commander rework did make the legendary captains more useful since they have separate builds for each type, but don't forget the significantly increased xp costs for the max level commanders. The legendary commanders still come as 10 pointers, and now require almost twice as much xp to reach max level from there as before.

As for Pommern, I don't see it going away any time soon. Ships tend to get removed either because they're extremely strong/overpowered, or very strong and very popular. Pommern is nowhere near as popular as some recent pulls (Georgia, Alaska, JB, etc), and isn't that strong outside close range engagements. If we get another round of the t9 clan brawls or old ranked sprints, it will shine there, but in randoms it struggles at the long ranges typical of high tiers. There's always a chance WG could pull it to force FOMO purchases if their normal sales on it have dried up, but I don't think it's at that point yet. 

Between the two, I'd personally favor the ship over the commander in almost every situation, but that's partly because I already have a max or near max level commander in every nation, and the increased xp cost to make that legendary commander as useful is less appealing.

Always pom in ranked. Little JB and some GA. Pom AK most popular.

[MTPA]
Members
40 posts
3,884 battles
35 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Edit: Plus, we have never seen a commander pulled from sale yet, and if one goes I would be shocked if Lutjens goes before Kuznetsov based on general popularity and strength.

Wow, I didn't realize they require double to XP to level up. Something to consider for sure. 

It is also worth noting that I rarely play brawls. So I am not sure if this effects the decision. 

Thanks for your input I greatly appreciate it. I want to hear back from some more people before I make my decision. 

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,529 posts
30 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I disagree.  If he didn't have a few good premiums, I would say get a premium, but captains with the skill rework have become VERY powerful because they can now but used in all premiums of a nation.  Once you get them to 21, they are super useful and start creating more 21s quickly.

Lutjens is one of the most valuable of them all. 

The answer is of course get both, but considering he has quite a few decent premium ships he can use the captain in, I would say to snag Lutjens first and start training him up.  He will pay off on spades and as far as we know right now, Pom isn't going anywhere.

• Cool 5

[GT3]
Members
319 posts
10,046 battles

If u have lots of german ships then i would suggest Lutjens.

i find him far more useful on cruisers than the bb's honestly... hindy, mainz, munchen etc its pretty ez to get the 140 main battery hits to activate the reload buff.

[MTPA]
Members
40 posts
3,884 battles
1 minute ago, Mego_Splat said:

If u have lots of german ships then i would suggest Lutjens.

i find him far more useful on cruisers than the bb's honestly... hindy, mainz, munchen etc its pretty ez to get the 140 main battery hits to activate the reload buff.

I have noticed a lot of people like him on German cruisers lately. How would he be on Agir?? 

[GT3]
Members
319 posts
10,046 battles
Just now, DJ18 said:

I have noticed a lot of people like him on German cruisers lately. How would he be on Agir?? 

Agir's reload speed is slow i doubt it would get the 140 main battery hits often enough.

[SGSS]
Members
6,915 posts
4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I disagree.  If he didn't have a few good premiums, I would say get a premium, but captains with the skill rework have become VERY powerful because they can now but used in all premiums of a nation.  Once you get them to 21, they are super useful and start creating more 21s quickly.

Lutjens is one of the most valuable of them all. 

The answer is of course get both, but considering he has quite a few decent premium ships he can use the captain in, I would say to snag Lutjens first and start training him up.  He will pay off on spades and as far as we know right now, Pom isn't going anywhere.

Its wicked popular but so is the captain.

I can see your point.  The best part of the rework was 1 cap for ever ship.

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,419 posts
17,160 battles
35 minutes ago, DJ18 said:

Wow, I didn't realize they require double to XP to level up. Something to consider for sure. 

To get from 10 points to 19 (the old max level) is about 1.5 million. To get from 19 to 21 alone is another 1.2 million. So it's a much bigger investment (either in time to grind up those last two points or in elite commander xp) to get a ecxp generator.

I've gotten three 19 pointers leveled up to 21 points since the rework, with enough excp stockpiled to level up another two once they finish their t9 grinds and move up to t10. Of those three, I just recently had one of them hit 20 points by grinding (rather than using excp to finish the remainder of 19 and all of 20) as a result of stacking flags and camos while grinding Alsace in grand battles almost from scratch. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,720 posts

Ideally you want Lutjens ON Pommern.

If I had to pick one, I'd grab Lutjens first. . . if you have a bunch of German premium ships already.

Otherwise, grab Pommern.

[WOSDS]
[WOSDS]
Members
149 posts
22,394 battles

Hi folks, for those of you that have the special commanders, which is the best? I understand that it will be influenced by your favoured nationality of the navy you enjoy.

[CO-OP]
Members
5,180 posts
41,646 battles

Given that you already have a bunch of premium ships, I'd get Lütjens.  While you're rebuilding your stockpile of coal to get Pommern, you could be training Lütjens closer to 21-points.

[CVA16]
Members
8,539 posts
26,040 battles
2 hours ago, DJ18 said:

To be clear, there is no special penalty for legendary commanders to level up. It takes just as many XP to level a schmo-10pt captain to 21 points as a legendary.

I think the poster was referring to the "new" max of 21 which takes about twice as many XP as the previous max out of 19.

edit. (which MidnightPhoenix explaned if I had read down a few posts)

Edited by Sabot_100

[MTPA]
Members
40 posts
3,884 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

To be clear, there is no special penalty for legendary commanders to level up. It takes just as many XP to level a schmo-10pt captain to 21 points as a legendary.

I think the poster was referring to the "new" max of 21 which takes about twice as many XP as the previous max out of 19.

edit. (which MidnightPhoenix explaned if I had read down a few posts)

Right, It seems to far that Lutjens is the most popular choice so far. 

[WOLF9]
Members
2,275 posts
34,831 battles

I play Coop, so my post is geared towards that.

I have both, and Lutjens was my first 21 point captain.  He just rocks as a secondary build on secondary ships.  His home is the GK, and I have Pommern, Tirpitz, Tirpitz B, Odin, Scharn, Scharn B, and P. Eugen.  I can swap him on all of those ships and make a gob of ECXP with the first win bonus of the day.

On the other hand, Pommern is a very strong ship.  In coop, you get to brawl a lot more than randoms, and it really does well in these matches.  I don't see the Pommern going away soon at all since a bunch of ships were pulled just a few months ago.

For MY setup, I would give the nod to Lutjens in a close race.

• Cool 3

[D-H-O]
Volunteer Moderator, Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
368 posts
7,905 battles

I already had Lutjens... but had to make the decision on Pomm or Swirtzki (or whatever the EU DD captain's name is).  I went captain because I already had the Tirp for a German BB trainer and I had the JB for ranked/competitive T9's (which I seem to be better at also).   

Point is, what do you need?  If you have a ton of German ships already, another premium may just sit and collect dust... where Lutjens can be moved from ship to ship and with the rework he can work in multiple premiums (DD, cruiser, CV, BB).  I see the captain being a more "rounded" option with a lot of things you can do with it.  BUT if you're wanting another secondary German BB to run at 9 and the FDG wasn't your thing, than the Pomm may be a better grab.  

I liked the Pomm in testing... but not enough to make it better than just running my Tirpitz at T8...  If I build up the coal, I'll get it, but going the captain route was a better option... (those EU DD's are DEADLY if you proc the captain skills).  

[-TKS-]
Members
111 posts
29,650 battles

Lutgens with the main battery reload has a lot more options now with the gunboat german dd's and the spot 3 for a heal comes into play more than you'd expect.  Very convenient to suddenly get.

Then throwing him on the secondary (premium) bbs is good.

Members
1,004 posts
8,620 battles

I took the captain.  It helps 3 ships.  Pommerin is a fun ship but not great in randoms. Decent in ranked.  I would wait until after the future skill rework.  If Secondaries get significantly better than i would go with the ship.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[CGN41]
Members
35 posts
19,519 battles
5 hours ago, Featherdustr said:

Lutgens with the main battery reload has a lot more options now with the gunboat german dd's and the spot 3 for a heal comes into play more than you'd expect.  Very convenient to suddenly get.

Then throwing him on the secondary (premium) bbs is good.

I totally agree with this. Lutjens is now assigned to my Elbing. Happy to throw him on my Pommern and other premiums too. I regret getting Lutjens after getting Pommern and some other Coal ships. I have just got him up to Level 19 now and there is a long way to go before achieving Level 21. 

• Thanks 1

[RSWF]
Members
396 posts
5,895 battles

One thing you might want to consider:  If you're going to have enough steel to buy a steel ship with a coupon sometime soon. 

I think I'll have enough steel to use my next coupon for steel (maybe this cycle if things go well).  That means I won't have a coupon to use on one of the more expensive coal ships (i.e. Pommern), so I plan to buy Lutjens during that coupon cycle.  The price for a captain and a T9/10 ship with coupon are similar so rather than pay full price for the ship, I'll use that cycle to get the captain and it won't put me back to being broke by trying to buy both.

Everyone's situation and preferences are different, but I'm waiting until after the anniversary event to see where I'm sitting with coal/steel/etc. and what ships may be added or scheduled to be removed.  Then I'll re-evaluate what I want to spend my coupons and resources on.  I personally don't see any ship, captain or whatever as absolutely necessary.  I'm willing to be patient.  Most of WG's unpopular monetization schemes are based largely on impatience and FOMO.

Members
402 posts
11,416 battles
22 hours ago, jags_domain said:

This is my rule too.