You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SussumuKodai

Suggestion / Criticism regarding the concealment and detection system

6 comments in this topic

[DIVBR]
Members
8 posts

Hi... I'm sure I'm not the only person to find the game's hiding system VERY illogical. It doesn't make any sense that I can see all my allies and I can't see an enemy destroyer 7Km away from me. Please change it! I let the engine display ships that are not blocked by map elements (islands) or smoke. It would be MUCH MORE coherent that way. Take advantage of the fact that the submarines will soon enter the game and remove this mechanic, because the submarines, THIS ONES, will go unnoticed very close, indeed.

Yes, I know why I can see all my allies at any distance, I've seen the videos regarding concealment and detection and I know the justification regarding "allied communication". But let's face it, this is a pretty lame excuse to justify the current invisibility and detection mechanism. I'm not here with a question about mechanics, I know how it works! My intention here is to try to show that this mechanic is NOT GOOD, it is not fair and it causes imbalance

To start with, my suggestion is to make ships detected by allies not appear as selectable targets in the game, in case our ship doesn't have the "real" visibility. Such detected ships could only appear on the minimap (such as in a cyclone or storm situation, reduced visibility range). It doesn't make sense that I can lock and fire at a target that's behind a mountain. Visibility and shooting ability should be defined by the range of weapons and the physical characteristic of the ship (height of the watchtower) and attributes applied to the captain or to the ship itself.

I know a lot of people love the system as it is because they take advantage of it, but it's not the fact that it benefits people that should be the reason the mechanics aren't improved. I like the game a lot, I think it's well balanced, but this concealment system, as it stands, makes it look more like one of those "fantasy games" than a game that even values the world's naval history. I'm SURE that if this mechanic is adjusted to be less fanciful, there will be an increase in terms of game balance and will cause players to adjust their hiding strategies to something more, say, real, logical and coherent, and not just being 7 km away from us, when our vision range is 10 km or more, for example.

Edited by SussumuKodai
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 4

Members
2,195 posts
6,572 battles

What you fail to recognize this is a arcade game and not a simulator. Also distance is truncated and compressed if it wasn't shells fired at 20km's would take over a minute to get there.  

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,337 posts
14,247 battles

Eh no. Few people would play dds if they didn’t get a concealment advantage

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

This would be a significant nerf to any ship that isn't a battleship. Carriers being immediately spotted would be sniped like they currently are with Musashi CV Rush Divisions. Cruisers would also be picked at max range over BBs because they're more valuable targets. We would probably see something even more passive than Deadeye, because all the support vessels would refuse to push up too.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

If you remove concealment from DDs then each DD player gets an entire division of dds to drive. Cruiser players would get multiple ships to drive as well. You also make several statements which reveal a lack of understanding of the current mechanics. For instance, ships all have a view range which means even if a ship is spotted by a teammate, if it is outside your view range you will only see it on the minimap. Generally ships with taller masts and range will have a larger view range this also scales somewhat with concealment.

arcade-game-not-sim.gif

[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,903 battles
2 hours ago, SussumuKodai said:

Hi... I'm sure I'm not the only person to find the game's hiding system VERY illogical. It doesn't make any sense that I can see all my allies and I can't see an enemy destroyer 7Km away from me. Please change it! I let the engine display ships that are not blocked by map elements (islands) or smoke. It would be MUCH MORE coherent that way. Take advantage of the fact that the submarines will soon enter the game and remove this mechanic, because the submarines, THIS ONES, will go unnoticed very close, indeed.

Yes, I know why I can see all my allies at any distance, I've seen the videos regarding concealment and detection and I know the justification regarding "allied communication". But let's face it, this is a pretty lame excuse to justify the current invisibility and detection mechanism. I'm not here with a question about mechanics, I know how it works! My intention here is to try to show that this mechanic is NOT GOOD, it is not fair and it causes imbalance

To start with, my suggestion is to make ships detected by allies not appear as selectable targets in the game, in case our ship doesn't have the "real" visibility. Such detected ships could only appear on the minimap (such as in a cyclone or storm situation, reduced visibility range). It doesn't make sense that I can lock and fire at a target that's behind a mountain. Visibility and shooting ability should be defined by the range of weapons and the physical characteristic of the ship (height of the watchtower) and attributes applied to the captain or to the ship itself.

I know a lot of people love the system as it is because they take advantage of it, but it's not the fact that it benefits people that should be the reason the mechanics aren't improved. I like the game a lot, I think it's well balanced, but this concealment system, as it stands, makes it look more like one of those "fantasy games" than a game that even values the world's naval history. I'm SURE that if this mechanic is adjusted to be less fanciful, there will be an increase in terms of game balance and will cause players to adjust their hiding strategies to something more, say, real, logical and coherent, and not just being 7 km away from us, when our vision range is 10 km or more, for example.

Ah, well, if it is hard to shoot over a mountain, I understand. I don't have that issue.

I kind of get what you are saying, but WG uses concealment as a means of balance. Arcade games tend to do that. 

Because if WG went too realistic, then DDs would run out of torpedoes after 2 spreads. Other ships would be frugal with their ammo. 

With RNG removed, cruisers would die upon spotting from a BB. CVs could cripple a BB with one torpedo. CVs themselves would burn down from a bomb hit. Etc. 

The line between arcade and real is always blurred. 

In WG's case, it is blurred with Vodka. But that is not a bad thing when you consider realism.