You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

9 comments in this topic

[CS7]
Members
327 posts
5,879 battles

It has seemed more difficult to back up using the autopilot on the map overlap.  I have to click very close to the back of the carrier icon, otherwise the autopilot tries to swing me around.  This is what it was several months ago, but a few patches ago it was made much easier to plot a course backwards using autopilot, and you could go a reasonable distance before the map tried to swing you around.  Is anyone else noticing this?  If I'm not just imagining it, I'd like it to go back to being easier to back up and keep your bow toward the incoming ordinance.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,848 posts
29,524 battles

Not so long ago; players were complaining about carriers backing up when they didn’t want them to...

Tapping W four times and hitting Q or E twice will get a carrier going towards the rear faster anyway.

[CS7]
Members
327 posts
5,879 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not so long ago; players were complaining about carriers backing up when they didn’t want them to...

Tapping W four times and hitting Q or E twice will get a carrier going towards the rear faster anyway.

So are you confirming they made a change? 

I never heard of the complaints you mention, which I guess I can understand to some extent.  Backing straight up just is not as useful as backing while angling to keep your bow toward the threat axis.  Just hitting W doesn't work for that.

[RLGN]
Members
16,848 posts
29,524 battles
1 hour ago, Maddau said:

So are you confirming they made a change? 

I never heard of the complaints you mention, which I guess I can understand to some extent.  Backing straight up just is not as useful as backing while angling to keep your bow toward the threat axis.  Just hitting W doesn't work for that.

Not to the controls as you seem to mean, but to carriers, (0.8.0,) and to the autopilot.

Used to, the autopilot just drove; very little muss, very little fuss. After the CV rework it went to hell. Stopping and backing up if it got close to things, or if you set a waypoint too close behind the carrier, expecting it to just turn around.

That’s either been dealt with, or I’m just used to it now.

W gets you going, Q and E are autorudder, and start looping your course back on itself. When you get pointed the direction you want to be going, tap M and set a map waypoint to straighten out. (Which you can do, even if you have planes flying.)

My experience is that you (usually,) don’t want to be moving slowly in a carrier. Backing up is wasting time better spent getting away from your spawn point.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles

Autopilot was changed this patch, this might be what you were seeing. Part of the changes were improvements to navigating through islands partly to avoid the CV going in reverse to avoid islands. The autopilot is tuned to avoid going in reverse if possible as usually that's undesirable. If you need to reverse it's best to manually do it.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
11,651 posts
15,976 battles

I recently had a match wherein I intentionally used the autopilot to reverse the CV.
My course was going towards an area I wanted to proceed to, but an opposing ship appeared on the mini-map, and I changed my mind (and then changed my autopilot waypoints using the "M" map, while my planes were in the air).

As @Estimated_Prophet and @AJTP89 pointed out, most of the time it is useful for the CV to be sailing forwards and to make turns instead of coming to a stop, reversing and generally being a "sitting duck".

The autopilot complaint topics on this forum were numerous and passionate. 
Tweaks & improvements have gotten us to where we are now. 
Though, I still feel the autopilot is often drunk and lacking the confidence needed for sailing in between islands.

Members
1,969 posts

I noticed a problem with the reverse as well. 

Sometimes turning is suicidal and you must bow-tank. Especially at the beginning of a match if the opposite team tries to snipe your CV.

I don't have time to control the CV when there's enemies bearing down on me. I need it to reverse as told, when I tell it to. Put a reverse button on the map so I don't have to recall planes just to do it manually. Fix the autopilot. Something. Anything. Reverse is very important.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Thanks 1

[GUNNS]
Members
37 posts
3,275 battles

Me too.

As a CV captain, I used reverse via auto-pilot a lot. Now, it's constantly trying to make me do a big broad circle, when all I want to do is back up a little.

In a ranked match today, I had to stop flying my planes so I could baby sit driving my carrier back behind an island.

Maybe they could do something where you could force reverse if you hold down shift?

• Cool 1

Members
1,704 posts
2,065 battles
On 7/17/2021 at 7:14 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

My experience is that you (usually,) don’t want to be moving slowly in a carrier.

Poor USS Langley :Smile_sad:

Many of the posts of this thread are reason for which I-as a CV main-have never used autopilot with carriers, and probably never will. I've also turned off auto-avoidance for collisions. I use autopilot on all other ship types, but I don't trust the helmsman to do his job right when I'm not there.