Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Original_Sean

Flint v Atlanta

22 comments in this topic

[GWG]
Members
7,780 posts
14,944 battles

Flint has two less 'wing' turrets, 9KM torps, and smoke.

Unknown about radar.

Atlanta has a longer main gun range

[CDOH]
Members
981 posts
8,620 battles

Flint has been nerfed into oblivion.  Flint did not get its range increased during the captain rework.  Flint has smoke and very short range guns.   Atlanta has radar and shoots a bit further.  Both ships are not great in Randoms due to the range decrease. 

[GWG]
Members
7,780 posts
14,944 battles
1 minute ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Flint has been nerfed into oblivion.  Flint did not get its range increased during the captain rework.  Flint has smoke and very short range guns.   Atlanta has radar and shoots a bit further.  Both ships are not great in Randoms due to the range decrease. 

For Narai, the Boise or Helena is a better choice due to the higher HP and longer range.

Atlanta and Flint need to be played very, very cautiously, since any battleship will blap you under with a couple well placed shells.

Both are premiums.  Flint was a prized collection item due to the requirement of ranking out 3 times in a row.  Black was the next higher prize...
Then they changed to STEEL.

Now Flint is relegated to Coal as its rarity is all gone.  It's a cold, hard slap in the face for all the hard work and time the avid gamers of the past put in.
Stalingrad is now the status symbol.

• Thanks 3
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,215 posts
26,997 battles

Fitting Tool entries for both Atlanta and Flint.

Atlanta has superior gun range, 13.3km vs Flint's 12.4km.  You'll hear a lot of complaints from Flint players about this.

Big consumables difference.  Atlanta features Radar while Flint has Smoke.

Torpedoes:  Both CLs have 2x4 torpedo launcher arrangements, but Flint has a much better range of 9.1km while Atlanta is 4.5km.

Amount of 127mm/38 turrets:  Atlanta has more at 8 dual gun turrets while Flint has fewer at 6 of the same turrets.  Historically the first Atlanta-class ships had the 8x2 gun arrangement but suffered from being top heavy.  Later runs, variations of the class did away with the 8x2, losing the wing turrets and settling for 6x2.

How are the two Premium Ships doing lately?  NA Server Stats week of 07-17-2021.

Battles Played / WR% / XP Avg / Dmg Avg

Atlanta 4166 / 51.9% / 1291 / 29.9k

Flint 1944 / 49.7% / 1259 / 33.9k

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,215 posts
26,997 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

For Narai, the Boise or Helena is a better choice due to the higher HP and longer range.

Atlanta and Flint need to be played very, very cautiously, since any battleship will blap you under with a couple well placed shells.

Both are premiums.  Flint was a prized collection item due to the requirement of ranking out 3 times in a row.  Black was the next higher prize...

Now Flint is relegated to Coal as its rarity is all gone.  It's a cold, hard slap in the face for all the hard work and time the avid gamers of the past put in.

Man, I remember on Hoperations Discord, we had some guys in a December just get their Flints with Steel.  Then the following month, WG announced that Flint was getting pulled and later put on sale for Coal.

Holy jeez was that a moment, those guys felt they were gutted.  All that Steel flushed down the sh*tters.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles
1 hour ago, Original_Sean said:

So what exactly are the differences?

Flint is like a Fiji... Smoke play style with hydro...

ATL is the suicidal play-style for those who just love to die hard and leave a pretty corps.

[PVE]
Members
11,201 posts
19,830 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

the Boise or Helena is a better choice due to the higher HP and longer range.

Boise has 2.5 k less range than Helena but it does have heals.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
70 posts
20,987 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Boise 152mm rifles, Atlanta 127mm rifles.

Edited by greenterror2112

[PVE]
Members
11,201 posts
19,830 battles
1 minute ago, greenterror2112 said:

True but reload time another factors but I was just saying that Boise has shorter guns than Helena. Atlanta seems to out perform Boise as per my best scores against others that I have seen. Boise is still my chosen for Narai. I don't think I will spend the cash on the new dutch cruiser for Narai, I am compelled to though.  I can't make Atlanta work like others do, I will watch and try though, Atlanta was my first premium ship ever, so she really is a favorite. The end of blind firing was the beginning of her end of being OP.

• Cool 1

Members
811 posts
10,893 battles
2 hours ago, greenterror2112 said:

Outside of the AP there's actually not much difference between 127 and 152 mm guns at tier 7 anymore. Both of them penetrate same tier cruisers without IFHE, same tier battleships and higher tier cruisers with IFHE, and don't penetrate higher tier battleships.

[GRETA]
Members
1,507 posts
11,738 battles

As stated above, actual differences are Flint has smoke, longer range torps.  Atlanta has radar, longer range guns and faster rate of fire.

What SHOULD  be the differences IMO, they should buff the gun range and rate of fire of Flint and buff the torp range of Atlanta so the only difference between the two would be smoke vs radar.  Kinda of like the Minotaur.  At least that would be a good step toward making up for the nerf these ships took with the IFHE rework. 

The problem with Flint is its stats are artificially inflated due to her early exclusivity and WG seems to rely heavily on "spreadsheets" for balancing.

For example I have a 55% WR with 45k average damage and .92 kills but only 1140 pr in my Flint.

My Atlanta has only has a 42% wr, 32k average damage and .62 kills but my pr is over 1300 in that ship.  

PR shows that server wide average performance was higher in Flint.

Disclaimer- I have not played either ship much if at all since captain rework so these stats may be affected by that however I believe my pr in the ships would continue to adjust as it is based on server performance compared to my stats.  Not sure though. 

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[WOLFG]
Members
1,190 posts

Flint is pretty much a joke these days.  It's still okay for Ranked, where you are facing ships your own tier and a minimal amount of Radar.  Once you are up tiered, forget it. You better have a full point captain on it to even take it out of port.  Between the IFHE and range changes, the ship is ruined.  Save your coal.  

Can't speak for Atlanta, but after what they did to Flint, I would never buy it.  WG seems to hate Cls these days.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[WOLFC]
Members
3,385 posts
12,111 battles
On 7/18/2021 at 2:30 AM, 4HizensTotalLandscaping said:

Outside of the AP there's actually not much difference between 127 and 152 mm guns at tier 7 anymore. Both of them penetrate same tier cruisers without IFHE, same tier battleships and higher tier cruisers with IFHE, and don't penetrate higher tier battleships.

The performance vs cruisers is very different. Being able to pen the 25mm extremities of many tier VIII and IX CAs (as well as Pensacola, NO, and Yorck at tier VI-VII) without IFHE (i.e. without destroying your fire chance) is handy, especially when facing higher tier BBs that your guns won’t penetrate anyways. IFHE bumps the pen of 152mm HE up over 27mm (31mm the 127’s 26mm), meaning you will be able to pen every cruiser bow and stern (as well as the 27mm center decks found on the 25mm-plated cruisers) in your MM spread if you desire, but at the cost of substantially hurting your performance against tier VIII and IX BBs.

Essentially, the 127mm gun struggles much more when uptiered and vs same tier CAs at tier VII, particularly without IFHE.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,215 posts
26,997 battles
On 7/18/2021 at 7:45 AM, Captain_Rawhide said:

Flint is pretty much a joke these days.  It's still okay for Ranked, where you are facing ships your own tier and a minimal amount of Radar.  Once you are up tiered, forget it. You better have a full point captain on it to even take it out of port.  Between the IFHE and range changes, the ship is ruined.  Save your coal.  

Can't speak for Atlanta, but after what they did to Flint, I would never buy it.  WG seems to hate Cls these days.

The IFHE / Armor Changes hit Tier VI-VII CLs pretty hard, and of that crowd, the Atlanta-class got the bat swung at their teeth.

dead2.gif

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
On 7/17/2021 at 7:28 PM, Original_Sean said:

So what exactly are the differences?

One has been powercrept into oblivion, while the other was merely powercrept into being pretty bad. 

[X-PN]
Members
2,110 posts
13,632 battles
50 minutes ago, vak_ said:

One has been powercrept into oblivion, while the other was merely powercrept into being pretty bad. 

I'd call it power nerfed.... 

Flint at 12.4 is almost usable again.... almost.

[X-PN]
Members
2,110 posts
13,632 battles
On 7/17/2021 at 6:42 PM, AVR_Project said:

No friggin way... Weimar may challenge it, but Atlanta has been the King of Narai for a long time....

I'd post up a bunch of results proving it, but I don't want to brag about Narai results.

Neither Boise or Helena have the raw DPM and lacking torps is a big hindrance.

...Show me a few 400 or 500k damage Helena games and I"ll take it back.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[GWG]
Members
7,780 posts
14,944 battles
5 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

No friggin way... Weimar may challenge it, but Atlanta has been the King of Narai for a long time....

I'd post up a bunch of results proving it, but I don't want to brag about Narai results.

Neither Boise or Helena have the raw DPM and lacking torps is a big hindrance.

...Show me a few 400 or 500k damage Helena games and I"ll take it back.

Atlanta was king a long time ago.  I would have agreed with you.

Nowadays, once the bots get a few hits on you, you become the lowest HP and they all laser-focus on you to death.   Never make it back to the 'health' circle.

If it's a division of all Atlantas, you're good.  Problem is when you are the smallest visible boat in the bunch.

Those 5" guns now have little effect on those forts if you go South, or North since it now takes an eternity to burn down the Lexington with the recent changes in IFHE and captain skills.

[RNGOD]
Members
143 posts
5,217 battles

They're still the best CL trainers in the game. If you can do well in the Atlanta, you can do well in any cruiser. Aside from that, both Atlanta, and Flint were gutted with the captain rework. Atlanta lost the range, and fearsome AA. Then poor Flint, her gun range is surpassed by most DD's. Sad to watch these proud ships become a novelty. But WG must keep the conveyer belt of new premiums running. Churning out more gimmicks, more powercreep.

I still play my Atlanta (she's the first premium ship I bought), but it's obvious, WG is phasing out the older premiums, for sales of the new shiny's. Whether by rework or direct nerf.

[HAI]
Members
378 posts

Atlanta sucks, I hate its stupid high arc slowass shell, you can never lead enough. Hate this ship.

Sign in to follow this