You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheHolyAsdf

Does a commander assigned to a ship trained for previously require retraining?

31 comments in this topic

[R0SE]
Members
83 posts
1,954 battles

I have a commander trained for ship X. 

I move him to ship Y and retrain him completely.

I move him back to ship X. Does he require retraining?

Members
0 posts
1 minute ago, TheHolyAsdf said:

In my experience so far yes, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Members
6,336 posts

Yes, because if you train him for Y, he's no longer trained for X.

Basically, a captain can only be trained for ONE *tech tree* ship at a time.

Same captain can make unlimited use of premium/special ships of that nation without retraining.

Also, unless the display is telling me wrong, if I go to retrain a commander for ship type A, which means until retrained his points are useless in that ship type, he can use premiums of the other types to finish retraining, while the points for ship types B, C, and D actually work and give the buffs for that type.

Edited by Kesh_Lives
  • Cool 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,586 battles

Yes. The only exception is if X was a Premium ship (bundled and pre-trained captains)

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
11,541 posts
15,861 battles
20 minutes ago, TheHolyAsdf said:

Unless the two ships are different types.

For tech-tree ships:
Train Commander in a cruiser.  They can now Captain that Cruiser competently.
Assign Commander to a DD.  Requires training in a DD but can still sail the previous Cruiser.
Assign same Commander to a BB.  Requires training in the BB, but can still sail the previous DD and Cruiser.
Assign same Commander to a CV .... you get the picture.

The exception would be if the ship was a premium ship.
Commanders do not require re-training to Captain a premium ship.

So, one Commander could sail any premium ship available in your Port.  Once they "master" a set of Captain's Skills, it will require re-training to change the skills they've mastered, though.

Edited to add this link to the wiki.  https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Moving_.2F_Re-training

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Meh 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,913 posts
31,718 battles
2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

For tech-tree ships:
Assign Commander to a DD.  Requires training in a DD but can still sail the previous Cruiser.
Assign same Commander to a BB.  Requires training in the BB, but can still sail the previous DD and Cruiser.

So, one Commander could sail any premium ship available in your Port.  Once they "master" a set of Captain's Skills, it will require re-training to change the skills they've mastered, though.

That doesn't work.  A captain can only be trained for one tech tree ship at a time.  He can have skills for other ship types, but they will only be "active" on premiums.  In the case you presented a captain trained in a tech tree cruiser wouldn't be able to use any of the destroyer or battleship skills in one of those tech-tree ships until re-trained.

[WPORT]
Members
11,541 posts
15,861 battles
1 minute ago, HamptonRoads said:

That doesn't work.  A captain can only be trained for one tech tree ship at a time.  He can have skills for other ship types, but they will only be "active" on premiums.  In the case you presented a captain trained in a tech tree cruiser wouldn't be able to use any of the destroyer or battleship skills in one of those tech-tree ships until re-trained.

Hmm.  Interesting.  Thanks.

Members
6,336 posts
6 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

For tech-tree ships:

No.  That does not work.  Only one tech tree ship trained to one captain. 

Captain can freely use the 'other' ship types as well as the one trained to for premiums/special ships.  Can't be trained to a CV and a BB at the same time, or the other types, either.

[WPORT]
Members
11,541 posts
15,861 battles
10 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

For tech-tree ships:

Edited to add this link to the wiki.  https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Moving_.2F_Re-training

3 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Hmm.  Interesting.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, Kesh_Lives said:

No.  That does not work.  Only one tech tree ship trained to one captain. 

Captain can freely use the 'other' ship types as well as the one trained to for premiums/special ships.  Can't be trained to a CV and a BB at the same time, or the other types, either.

Must only work with premium ships, then.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,913 posts
31,718 battles
Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

Correct, only premiums.

Members
6,336 posts

You can use all four ship type builds on premium/special ships of that nation, as much as you want.  Premium/special ships never care about retraining.  Retraining is a tech-tree thing only.  In fact, if you have a captain 'trained' for a premium, you got that captain with that ship, most likely.  I don't think you can actually retrain a captain for a premium ship, unless they've changed something with 0.10.0.

Also, unless the display is lying to me, there's a loophole in retraining.

If you're retraining a captain to a BB, and have 50K retrain, you get no effect on the BB points spent, till the 50K retrain is over.

However, if I take that captain, and use him in a CA, CV, or DD, those points look like they are valid and working, so you can more easily finish the 50K retrain CXP in other ship types.

[WPORT]
Members
11,541 posts
15,861 battles
13 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

You can use all four ship type builds on premium/special ships of that nation, as much as you want.  Premium/special ships never care about retraining.  Retraining is a tech-tree thing only.  In fact, if you have a captain 'trained' for a premium, you got that captain with that ship, most likely.  I don't think you can actually retrain a captain for a premium ship, unless they've changed something with 0.10.0.

Also, unless the display is lying to me, there's a loophole in retraining.

If you're retraining a captain to a BB, and have 50K retrain, you get no effect on the BB points spent, till the 50K retrain is over.

However, if I take that captain, and use him in a CA, CV, or DD, those points look like they are valid and working, so you can more easily finish the 50K retrain CXP in other ship types.

I included the wiki link in an earlier post.
Perhaps we should all re-read it?
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Moving_.2F_Re-training

[GWG]
Members
7,776 posts
14,921 battles

Yet another game mechanic that makes no IRL sense at all.

Would be nice to follow a captain through their career, All the way from the Orlan to the Grozevoi... 
At least have the history in a file somewhere, showing date progression as the line progresses.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

No, but it makes very good game sense. 

The game is intended to be all about grinding various things. Letting one captain use a whole line of tech tree ships removes a grind, and would be counter-productive from the devs' POV.

[R0SE]
Members
83 posts
1,954 battles
17 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

No, but it makes very good game sense. 

The game is intended to be all about grinding various things. Letting one captain use a whole line of tech tree ships removes a grind, and would be counter-productive from the devs' POV.

I do kind of agree. I could just take a 20 captain down to tier IV and have a massive advantage over beginners, as if skill were not enough

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
940 posts
11,803 battles
18 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Perhaps think of it this way: 
A captain who was once fully trained with the Orlan but has moved on to become fully trained as a captain of the Budyonny can not come back to the Orlan and run it as well the current, fully trained captain of that ship.  Not without undergoing some training once more.  That's IRL stuff.  That former captain's just not going to be as fully in tuned with what it takes to make that ship and crew at peak performance as the current captain would.  So if that he took that command once again, there'd be a period of time where he'd have to become reacquainted with the ship and its crew.

You know, that Budyonny had this, this and that for capabilities and the Orlan just doesn't have that.  So what's the former captain going to do to make up for those capabilities he grew accustomed to in the other ship but no longer has in his return to former command?

[PHD]
Members
348 posts
11,785 battles
1 hour ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Basically, a captain can only be trained for ONE *tech tree* ship at a time.

Same captain can make unlimited use of premium/special ships of that nation without retraining.

I would like to see that change. Since the captain skills have four sections, Destroyer, cruiser, battleship, and aircraft carrier, I would like to see one captain have a tech tree ship assigned to each section and freely move between the assigned 4 tech tree ships premium and special ships since the skills are already in place.

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,544 posts
53 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Would be nice to follow a captain through their career, All the way from the Orlan to the Grozevoi... 
At least have the history in a file somewhere, showing date progression as the line progresses.

What would I gain by having this?

I mean you can do it yourself I guess.  Make a spread sheet with dates and times that a pixel captain was in a pixel ship.  I can't figure what I would do with it though, other than look at it and think "ok", then close it.

[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,796 battles
4 hours ago, TheHolyAsdf said:

Yes. 

But here is a tip to make that less painful. 

Train a captain for a specific favorite and based on their ship type, only move them to a premium ship of same type. Then you can recall the commander.

Essentially, you have a captain for 2 ships or more, so long as you move them only to premiums.

[GWG]
Members
7,776 posts
14,921 battles
4 hours ago, Burnsy said:

What would I gain by having this?

I mean you can do it yourself I guess.  Make a spread sheet with dates and times that a pixel captain was in a pixel ship.  I can't figure what I would do with it though, other than look at it and think "ok", then close it.

Like finished Campaigns and Collections....  or even a summary of achievements.
Hmmmm... When was your last Kraken???  You can look that up.  Even tells you when and what ship you were on.

But what do you gain by knowing this??  Shrug shoulders, say 'OK', then close it...  You're right.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
21 hours ago, TheHolyAsdf said:

I do kind of agree. I could just take a 20 captain down to tier IV and have a massive advantage over beginners, as if skill were not enough

Yes, and you go through more resources, developing multiple captains.

[BSE]
Members
5 posts
6,308 battles

i wouldn't mind being able to have to a commander assigned to 1 ship per line, i.e. a single destroyer, cruiser, battleship and carrier at one time. but if you wanted change ships of the same type they'd have to be retrained, like say if you were trained in the Hipper and changed to the Roon you'd have to retrain.

[CRUEL]
Members
240 posts
17,790 battles

This applies to premium captains as well?  If so...is this new?

I have Halsey.  Have trained him on various US BB's.  Whenever I move him back to a ship he was previously trained in, it has me retrain him.

In one battle, he forgot everything he learned about the other, similar ship???

If so, this makes any premium captains FAR less valuable than they might otherwise be.  ie...why grind or spend coal or $$ to get them, if they can really only be used on 1 ship?  VASTLY less valuable.

Edited by DrunkenSailor63

[BTLST]
Members
345 posts
8,025 battles
8 hours ago, DrunkenSailor63 said:

This applies to premium captains as well?  If so...is this new?

I have Halsey.  Have trained him on various US BB's.  Whenever I move him back to a ship he was previously trained in, it has me retrain him.

In one battle, he forgot everything he learned about the other, similar ship???

If so, this makes any premium captains FAR less valuable than they might otherwise be.  ie...why grind or spend coal or $$ to get them, if they can really only be used on 1 ship?  VASTLY less valuable.

There are no "premium" commanders. There are unique/enhanced/legendary commanders, but that does NOT affect the (re)training rules. And you can use any commander on multiple ships w/o retraining, it's just that only one of them can be a tech-tree ship.