Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
illuminattixia

Why is incoming fire alert not working?

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
16 posts
3,806 battles

I just had a very frustrated match.

I was in my Atago and my commander had the incoming fire alert. I was kiting away in full health while exchanging fires with a CA and aiming my torps. All of sudden, I got a dev salvo from a Vermont and sunk on spot...

I swear that there was absolutely no incoming fire alert popping up and this is not the first I have this problem - this time is just the most frustrating one.

Just curious - Is this just happening to me, because I bought too many Atagos (I have Atago B, Takao, and Maya, too)? How does this fking incoming fire alert skill work exactly?

Thanks very much in advance for your kind advice.

Frustrated Atagoer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
682
[NSEW]
Members
2,585 posts
12,112 battles
5 minutes ago, illuminattixia said:

How does this fking incoming fire alert skill work exactly?

If I'm not mistaken, the IFA only works with shells fired towards you from a certain distance away or via time to target?

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,781 posts

There are multiple reasons this could have happened:

  • The shell travel time was so long that you missed it or mistook it for another shot, Vermont shells usually travel up to 15s or more depending on distance.
  • IFA only works if the firing ship actually targets you, some people use that fact to not give you a warning. They will lock on another ship nearby, or not on a ship at all, and then aim for you on the minimap. That way you won't get the alert that you have been fired upon.
  • The salvo was not meant for you and you just happened to be in the wrong spot.

IFA works by giving you a signal that someone, who has locked onto you, has actually fired at you them moment they pull the trigger. This, in theory, gives you the opportunity to dodge as the shells usually travel quite some time.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,177
[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles
39 minutes ago, illuminattixia said:

I just had a very frustrated match.

I was in my Atago and my commander had the incoming fire alert. I was kiting away in full health while exchanging fires with a CA and aiming my torps. All of sudden, I got a dev salvo from a Vermont and sunk on spot...

I swear that there was absolutely no incoming fire alert popping up and this is not the first I have this problem - this time is just the most frustrating one.

Just curious - Is this just happening to me, because I bought too many Atagos (I have Atago B, Takao, and Maya, too)? How does this fking incoming fire alert skill work exactly?

Thanks very much in advance for your kind advice.

Frustrated Atagoer

Few faults may happen.

  • You were within 4.5 km when the incoming salvo was fired
  • The BB did not use his fire control to aim at you.

Since in your post these important values are not shown or expressed... We have no way of confirming.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228
[-AGW-]
Members
1,084 posts
18,755 battles

I have noticed this as well on a few occasions, but it is inconsistent and I can't make sense of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36,648
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,265 posts
22,545 battles
23 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:
  • You were within 4.5 mi when the incoming salvo was fired

km*

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,676
[ARR0W]
Members
4,244 posts
26,701 battles
37 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Few faults may happen.

  • You were within 4.5 km when the incoming salvo was fired
  • The BB did not use his fire control to aim at you.

Since in your post these important values are not shown or expressed... We have no way of confirming.

This. If you are not locked, IFA doesnt process. 

Some players, particularly in BBs, are cheeky about shooting at you without lock (some to excess and their detriment, but thats another discussion). If there was no target lock on you, IFA wont register the shot. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
16 posts
3,806 battles
1 hour ago, shinytrashcan said:

There are multiple reasons this could have happened:

  • The shell travel time was so long that you missed it or mistook it for another shot, Vermont shells usually travel up to 15s or more depending on distance.
  • IFA only works if the firing ship actually targets you, some people use that fact to not give you a warning. They will lock on another ship nearby, or not on a ship at all, and then aim for you on the minimap. That way you won't get the alert that you have been fired upon.
  • The salvo was not meant for you and you just happened to be in the wrong spot.

IFA works by giving you a signal that someone, who has locked onto you, has actually fired at you them moment they pull the trigger. This, in theory, gives you the opportunity to dodge as the shells usually travel quite some time.

Thanks for your reply.

For the 1st scenario, the Vermont was about 11-12km away from me, half hiding behind an island. Not sure if the shell travel time would take 15s or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
16 posts
3,806 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Few faults may happen.

  • You were within 4.5 km when the incoming salvo was fired
  • The BB did not use his fire control to aim at you.

Since in your post these important values are not shown or expressed... We have no way of confirming.

Thanks for your reply. The Vermont was about 11-12km away from me, half hiding behind an island. I guess it's hard for people to ignore Vermont if it's just 4.5km away - Vermont is just large enough to be seen from the other side of our galaxy:p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,177
[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles
1 minute ago, illuminattixia said:

Thanks for your reply. The Vermont was about 11-12km away from me, half hiding behind an island. I guess it's hard for people to ignore Vermont if it's just 4.5km away - Vermont is just large enough to be seen from the other side of our galaxy:p

its not that.... We just can confirm with the information provided... Do you have the replay ?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
16 posts
3,806 battles
29 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

its not that.... We just can confirm with the information provided... Do you have the replay ?

er...nope...i'm a casual potato...even have no idea how to do/get replay...But thanks for replying anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
261
[UNC]
Members
980 posts
6,587 battles

Given the stated range, it seems likely that the Vermont locked onto a different ship or fired without any lock at all.  In either case a dev strike is fairly lucky, but Vermont guns are excellent and sometimes RNG just happens.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

At top tier, some people fire without locks or visual confirmation. I do that all the time, just to flex RNG.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,188
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles
1 hour ago, illuminattixia said:

er...nope...i'm a casual potato...even have no idea how to do/get replay...But thanks for replying anyway.

Fortunately it's easy. C:/Games/World_of_Warships/replays. The last 30 replays are saved there by default. Files are named by Date-Time-ID-Ship-Map so you should be able to find your Atago replay. Just upload the file and we can take a look and see what's going on.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
16 posts
3,806 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Fortunately it's easy. C:/Games/World_of_Warships/replays. The last 30 replays are saved there by default. Files are named by Date-Time-ID-Ship-Map so you should be able to find your Atago replay. Just upload the file and we can take a look and see what's going on.

Thanks a lot for letting me know how to look at replays. I looked at the replay and found that I was poorly positioned when I got sunk and my memory was wrong - the incoming fire alert DID pop up for Vermont's salvo.

Apologies for making such a drama in front of everyone.

What happened was that: a Cleveland shot at me, when I was turning away my camera from her - the incoming fire alert popped up once. Within a very very short time, the alert popped up again - I didn't pay attention, as I probably thought that second alert still popped up for Cleveland. But now in hindsight, the second alert was actually for Vermont's salvo at me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,188
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles
13 minutes ago, illuminattixia said:

Thanks a lot for letting me know how to look at replays. I looked at the replay and found that I was poorly positioned when I got sunk and my memory was wrong - the incoming fire alert DID pop up for Vermont's salvo.

Apologies for making such a drama in front of everyone.

What happened was that: a Cleveland shot at me, when I was turning away my camera from her - the incoming fire alert popped up once. Within a very very short time, the alert popped up again - I didn't pay attention, as I probably thought that second alert still popped up for Cleveland. But now in hindsight, the second alert was actually for Vermont's salvo at me.

Yeah, IFA is kind of useless if you're getting targeted by a high ROF ship, it's just constantly going off so you don't know if someone else is targeting you. Then all of a sudden there's 18" AP mixed in with the 6" spam:Smile_teethhappy:

Don't rely on IFA, usually by the time that goes off it's too late. Situational awareness is critical. You have to notice the BB on your flank, and then assume he's going to shoot you. That way when IFA goes off you're already turning. I prefer Priority Target. Tells you how many people are shooting you which gives you a lot of info. And in this case might have saved you as you would have known that two people were targeting you instead of one. I built PT into all my captain builds, but with it being 2 pts now I can see how people might opt for IFA. Just don't get in the habit of using it to tell you who is shooting you, look at the minimap and see who CAN shoot you and then assume they are.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
110
[BTLST]
Members
357 posts
8,218 battles
35 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Don't rely on IFA, usually by the time that goes off it's too late. Situational awareness is critical. You have to notice the BB on your flank, and then assume he's going to shoot you. That way when IFA goes off you're already turning. I prefer Priority Target. Tells you how many people are shooting you which gives you a lot of info. And in this case might have saved you as you would have known that two people were targeting you instead of one. I built PT into all my captain builds, but with it being 2 pts now I can see how people might opt for IFA. Just don't get in the habit of using it to tell you who is shooting you, look at the minimap and see who CAN shoot you and then assume they are.

I generally use PT as well, but IFA can be useful, e.g. if you're in a kiting cruiser and need to actively dodge shells. You can monitor one ship shooting at you, but two or more will get difficult and then IFA might get in handy. Still I'd rate PT higher than IFA for usefulness, even when considering the extra point of cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×