You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheHolyAsdf

Johan De Witt: Bombs with parachutes

28 comments in this topic

[R0SE]
Members
83 posts
1,985 battles

Why does the bomber squadron drop bomb with parachutes?

Can we expect bombs with inflatable rubber donuts so they float in the water as actual sea mines?

Edited by TheHolyAsdf
  • Boring 1

[TCCN]
Members
140 posts
11,145 battles

Historically bombs would use parachutes to slow them down so low flying planes have a chance to get out of the blast radius.

Members
383 posts
11,933 battles

The bombs....called "Parafrags"...were used in the Pacific campaign by the United States.   I don't find any references to attacking ships, they were used to attack airfields to destroy aircraft and personnel on the ground.

Good brief article here:     https://world-war-2.wikia.org/wiki/AN-M40_Fragmentation_Bomb

WOW_Parafrag_Bombs__truman.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[--V--]
Members
1,585 posts
14,639 battles

Just like only a FEW aircraft in the world mounted rockets and almost NONE were ever used to attack ships because they were WAY too inaccurate,,,,,, the Dutch now have parachute bombs.  ROFL

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SALV0]
Members
429 posts
1,388 battles
1 minute ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Just like only a FEW aircraft in the world mounted rockets and almost NONE were ever used to attack ships because they were WAY too inaccurate,,,,,, the Dutch now have parachute bombs.  ROFL

I would be ashamed if I was a Dutch sailor. Lol having to call in the Air Force for help.

• Boring 1

Members
1,716 posts
2,066 battles
1 hour ago, goldenpollywog said:

ould be ashamed if I was a Dutch sailor. Lol having to call in the Air Force for help.

You might be relieved that the Air Force finally showed up, because during WW2 air support was always promised by some incompetent officer who didn't know what the A6M2 was.

[MELON]
Members
991 posts
2,910 battles

Are you sure it's bombs with parachutes......it could be parachutes with bombs 

• Funny 1
  • Haha 2

[SALVO]
Members
9,558 posts
7,008 battles
1 hour ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Just like only a FEW aircraft in the world mounted rockets and almost NONE were ever used to attack ships because they were WAY too inaccurate,,,,,, 

Currently in the port of Rotterdam (in game), there's a pretty ocean liner going by the name of Cap Arcona... the thing has an interesting story to tell, the final chapter is it being sunk by RAF rocket planes, go figure. Just one example, you might want to check your "facts".  Ah, almost forget... about "they were WAY too inaccurate"... did you know rockets were widely used during the war for tank busting, tanks being orders of magnitude smaller than ships so far more difficult to hit...

1 hour ago, goldenpollywog said:

I would be ashamed if I was a Dutch sailor. Lol having to call in the Air Force for help.

Don't worry, you wouldn't be the only one to lose a war because being ashamed of cooperating with another branch of your own military.

Edited by ArIskandir

[WOLFG]
Members
34,398 posts
10,719 battles
3 hours ago, brewakeg said:

The bombs....called "Parafrags"...were used in the Pacific campaign by the United States.   I don't find any references to attacking ships, they were used to attack airfields to destroy aircraft and personnel on the ground.

Good brief article here:    https://world-war-2.wikia.org/wiki/AN-M40_Fragmentation_Bomb

WOW_Parafrag_Bombs__truman.jpg

Japan used them too, but their copies were nowhere near as effective.

Of course, they were nothing like the ones we have in-game....

[CNO]
Members
6,804 posts
20,467 battles
22 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Don't worry, you wouldn't be the only one to lose a war because being ashamed of cooperating with another branch of your own military.

One should watch the following movie, particularly the beginning, to get a taste of what the Japanese army thought of the Japanese navy.  Not to mention it's a very good movie throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQotim_ZHA

• Thanks 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,742 posts
30,198 battles

Japanese aircraft about to be destroyed by para-frag bomb.

WWII-photo-Bombardment-by-parachute-bomb

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,558 posts
7,008 battles
4 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

One should watch the following movie, particularly the beginning, to get a taste of what the Japanese army thought of the Japanese navy.  Not to mention it's a very good movie throughout.

Thanks for the tip Soshi, looks promising.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,781 posts
6,935 battles
3 hours ago, SeaborneSumo said:

You should check your "facts" before spouting them.  Rockets were common armaments on American, British and Russian aircraft and used on German aircraft.  One of the primary uses of rockets by American and British aircraft was to attack enemy shipping.

I agree the Dutch parachute bombs are silly, though not so much due to the parachutes but rather due to the number of aircraft in an attack wave exceeding the total number of those aircraft that the Dutch actually built.  You see, most nations did not have the industry to build significant numbers of airplanes.  In terms of rough capability, using that gamer tier system, it looks something like this:

S: USA
A: France, Germany, UK, USSR
B: Japan
C: Italy
D: Every other nation that could manage to build airplanes, usually totaling in the dozens or low to mid hundreds
F: Nations that couldn't make airplanes at all.

The gulf between some of these tiers is huge.  For example, Japan probably had about as good a chance against the USA in the air as Italy would have had against Japan.

• Haha 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,277 posts
8,392 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Dang... How have I not already seen this?   

[BEA5T]
Members
5,516 posts
26,241 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Japan used them too, but their copies were nowhere near as effective.

Of course, they were nothing like the ones we have in-game....

I understand the drag cute slowed bombs concept quite well.......  What I am confused about is why no one is screaming about this concept being "Naval Artillery...."  In WoTs, Artillery drove off a whole bunch of players and now, we have "Artillery" in WoWs and NO ONE seems to see that or even comment on that concept...... 

Why not have Baka's readily available:

image.thumb.png.1102febf34ec918daef73addb2e3dcc4.png

or,

The German Fritz-x

image.png.c62d3facce2a891ebd688eaa4d7b33b0.png

Since we now have "lingering" aircraft over the AO....

What am I missing here????

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,558 posts
7,008 battles
34 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

What am I missing here????

Time...

wait long enough and you'll see Fritz-X (I dare say within a year) ... Bakas are too controversial, I can almost guarantee they won't show... now SSMs and SAMs that's another "when" question, not an "if"...

Members
6,336 posts
3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Currently in the port of Rotterdam (in game), there's a pretty ocean liner going by the name of Cap Arcona... the thing has an interesting story to tell, the final chapter is it being sunk by RAF rocket planes, go figure. Just one example, you might want to check your "facts".  Ah, almost forget... about "they were WAY too inaccurate"... did you know rockets were widely used during the war for tank busting, tanks being orders of magnitude smaller than ships so far more difficult to hit...

As far as 'small targets', the germans also used 21 cm rockets from ME 110s to shoot down B-17s and such.  

I simply don't know where people got the "Rockets are too inaccurate to use on ships" came from.  It was a common tool later in the war on CVE aircraft hunting submarines, along with the early acoustic ASW torps.  

Simply not an accurate thing to say.  

EDIT: If they would shoot them at subs and hit them, then a DD or bigger is definitely fair game...

Edited by Kesh_Lives
  • Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
6,804 posts
20,467 battles
On 7/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, iRA6E said:

Dang... How have I not already seen this?   

It's actually kinda hard to come buy.  Had to order mine from overseas.  

[4_0_4]
Members
314 posts
1,926 battles
On 7/16/2021 at 10:33 AM, Efros said:

Japanese aircraft about to be destroyed by para-frag bomb.

WWII-photo-Bombardment-by-parachute-bomb

That’s a really cool photo.

[A-D-F]
Members
135 posts
25,151 battles

this type of bomb is known as a retarded bomb. as mentioned earlier they allow the releasing aircraft to get clear of material flung upward by the bomb blast. they are also better suited to hit the target in low level bombing. retarding of the bombs is done by using a drag chute as seen in the dutch cruisers. it is also accomplished by the bomb having spring out solid panels that deploy at the instant of bomb release. (this type of bomb was used extensively  in the Vietnam war)

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,296 posts
27,061 battles
On 7/16/2021 at 8:04 AM, ArIskandir said:

True, Japan took it to an extreme level.

The Imperial Japanese Navy and Army didn't have a rivalry... They were pretty much trying to see the other service destroyed.  Below video is a short, humorous take on the subject.

The IJA however had the advantage in that a lot of the government had the army's tendrils coiled around it.  Several times the army literally caused a Prime Minister and his Cabinet to fall because of weird little loopholes where an administration couldn't succeed if certain positions weren't filled by an active duty army officer.  If the army didn't like the administration, they'd just see it topple by not filling the position.  Matter of fact, there was an administration that sought to steer the country away from war with the USA, but the army didn't like that and saw to it that the administration collapsed and General Tojo (active duty) became Prime Minister of Japan.  The road to war with the USA was now wide open.

In the book, "Japanese Destroyer Captain," the author Capt Hara Tameichi made mention of a series of events during the Solomon Islands campaign.  The IJN had conducted a series of Tokyo Express-like runs (the Japanese called them "Rat Runs" because they were done at night) to put a bunch of IJA troops onto an island to counter the landings of the Americans.  However, it soon became apparent that it was a trap laid by the Americans to destroy the IJA formation.  What was Hara's thought's on it?  "But that's an army problem" and the navy couldn't be bothered.

Earlier in the war, the IJN was looking very good:

+ Spectacular success across the Pacific, from the Pearl Harbor attack, the wrecking of the ABDA combined navy formations, destruction of Prince of Wales and Repulse, the navy being the key players in the success at the Philippines, Indian Ocean Raids, and several air attacks against Australia.

+ The IJA had success on land in the Philippines and Singapore, but the IJN had been grabbing a lot of glory and recognition.  However, the IJA had several great stains on their reputation:  They were mired in a huge, never ending war in China.  Before the start of the Pacific War, the IJA got its a** handed to them by the Soviet Union in Mongolia.

Some nobody from the Red Army beat them, maybe he'd have a good military career for himself, not sure.

Zhukov_LIFE.jpg

So come early 1942, compared to the IJN, the IJA was not looking as good.  Yamamoto's name was on everyone's lips back home in Japan and the navy was running wild across the Pacific.  When news came that the IJN suffered a massive reversal at Midway, the army rejoiced as it took the navy down several notches.

Any sort of cooperation between the IJA and IJN had to involve a huge amount of arm twisting or very extreme circumstances.  One case is that the IJA felt the South Pacific was not an important theater of war and had token commitments there in 1941-42.  However, events in the theater, most especially in New Guinea, became very clear that the IJA needed to get involved a lot more.  Most of the time before, the IJA wanted nothing to do, because the region was the navy's design.  But the growing Allied power there needed to be dealt with and the IJA committed.  Matter of fact, over 40% of the IJA's total losses of aircraft for the war were at New Guinea.  They stripped their formations in China of their air units to send them to New Guinea in a long, bloody air campaign against the Allies.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[-TRM-]
Members
291 posts
16,079 battles

Actually the parachute bombs are the only thing these Dutch ships have going for them, cuz their AP (Not Good), HE (Sub-Par). Its fun though, just make sure you're not alone in battle.