You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
digger52

Russian CVs

40 comments in this topic

[TRW]
Beta Testers
229 posts
22,596 battles

well I have played against the tier 8 Russian Cv in 3 battles now over the last 24 hours and i know they are often captained by very good players for testing but it is totally broken and overpowered.

The final straw was being focussed by it in my Atago, where it dropped 6 torps in an individual salvo, all 6 torps in a tight bunch, and very fast in water speed. It felt like being attacked by an FTR. In each 3 matches their russian CV was top score on their team. If they go live like this for the first time I will give some serious thought to walking away , the russians never even had CVs yet they have created in this game something thats totally over powered and even in development having to face them in randoms in this condition is an insult.

I have never critisied CVs in game before but seriously this is madness

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,968 posts
2,993 battles

What do you mean? Russian carriers were known for their tight groupings during the war after all...

• Funny 1
  • Haha 2

[WGF]
Members
95 posts

You should really post the replay link. Gameplay footage of the new CVs is rare so be nice to see one in action.

[UNHLY]
Members
3,471 posts
26,583 battles
39 minutes ago, digger52 said:

well I have played against the tier 8 Russian Cv in 3 battles now over the last 24 hours and i know they are often captained by very good players for testing but it is totally broken and overpowered.

The final straw was being focussed by it in my Atago, where it dropped 6 torps in an individual salvo, all 6 torps in a tight bunch, and very fast in water speed. It felt like being attacked by an FTR. In each 3 matches their russian CV was top score on their team. If they go live like this for the first time I will give some serious thought to walking away , the russians never even had CVs yet they have created in this game something thats totally over powered and even in development having to face them in randoms in this condition is an insult.

Russian CV' s won war in the pacific 

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[NORUN]
[NORUN]
Members
29 posts
22,216 battles

All these so-called Naval battles are based on Fantasy anyway.... Yes many will call me crazy but I call them liars if they say these fights using these digital ships were real.  All wars are fake and it's just people getting tricked into murdering other people.  If you think people actually built these giant steel floating coffins, then signed up to fight each other aboard them, then you are sadly mistaken.  All the video footage is just movies to make you believe.... All the so-called Navy men who have stories to tell before the 1960's are paid actors and liars. 

We have been lied to on levels one would not believe; so lets not get to wrapped up into what is historically accurate or not.  It's ALL Accurate according to HIS-story and that other guys story.   

• Boring 2
  • Meh 3

Members
1,099 posts
3,207 battles
2 hours ago, tm63au said:

..and the Mediterranean.. Glorious, unstoppable, far reaching floating fist of Stalin.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
6,610 posts
10,993 battles
3 hours ago, digger52 said:

Have you played said CV yet?

Ran into them several times yesterday. Haven't been attacked yet, but they appear based on the premise of entire squadron attacking at once. I remember making a post here suggesting just that months ago as a do-over towards another CV rework.

All the mystery here is a bit annoying.

But no biggie if get a CV class that whacks pretty hard. Just means need to be an unappetizing target.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,267 posts
8,345 battles

Got same RU - CV testing division 2 games in a row last night.. Followed a few games later by another player testing  one..   went 2/2 in my T8 CVs against  them,  dunking his BB buddy both games,  and lost a game in a T9 BB against the other.  In the 3 games against them I only noticed them sink 1 ship.   I have feeling watching it when I was able.. they just got there hands on them?    Not much to report other than the planes on the T8 are very soft...  My T9 german BB smoked an entire squad just after 1st  skip bomb drop which missed. I wasn't targeted by them in any of the other 2 CV games.    I'll bet these players get them figured out pretty quick.. as a rule all the players I see testing new ships are really good players.      

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles
4 hours ago, digger52 said:

The Russian CV's have an "All In One Pass" attack run, and even if they get it right, it's going to scale horribly even if they get it right at tier.

For normal CV's, with the multiple passes, a CV hitting something bottom tier has to make multiple passes, giving the target and those around it more time to shoot down the second or third waves of aircraft. At the same time, if the CV is bottom tier, the CV can elect to pre-drop some aircraft and commit to making a single pass, and only bring the aircraft that are going to make the attack, and a meatshield of planes to take casualties on. The Surviving members of the meatsheild will just recovered.

Russian CV's don't do any of this, if they make an attack on a bottom tier target, most or all the aircraft are getting there, and the target is getting nuked. At the same time, when a Russian CV is bottom tier, the meatsheild and the attacking wave are one and the same, so all surviving aircraft will make an attack.

So Russian CV's should up-tier better and when top tier will simply be overpowered. Not seeing this working out well.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[ARGSY]
Members
25,533 posts
19,680 battles
43 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Russian CV's don't do any of this, if they make an attack on a bottom tier target, most or all the aircraft are getting there, and the target is getting nuked. At the same time, when a Russian CV is bottom tier, the meatsheild and the attacking wave are one and the same, so all surviving aircraft will make an attack.

So Russian CV's should up-tier better and when top tier will simply be overpowered. Not seeing this working out well.

How much do you play carriers?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How much do you play carriers?

Pretty much all I play if I go into randoms

Usually GZ these days.

I realize that people have this fixation that AA doesn't work at all, to the point of ignoring all information to the contrary. Apparently AA doesn't work at all if any aircraft survive to make drop.

That AA is why I'm not putting 9 torpedoes into everything I come across. Normally, against tier 6 targets, I'm making two drops and recovering the survivors. Against tier 10's, I'm predropping one flight, making a single drop, and recovering survivors. The aircraft I'm recovering are wasted drops.

Just the concept of how the Russian CV's work is gamebreaking. Every surviving aircraft drops. Plus the Russian flight only sees the AA on the way in, unlike normal CV's that see it on the way in, on the way out, on the way back in, ect...

Members
397 posts

The Russian CVs were also recently buffed, so that every attacking flight has heals, not just the torp bombers. Making getting those full wave hits in easier. 

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles

It seems similar to the DC on the BBs.

Trading unlimited capacity for speedy cooldown looks good on paper, until you play RU BBs, and never use up all your DC charges...

Same with the CVs. Not getting to make multiple drops seems like a fair balancing effect, until you consider that in many cases, other CVs don't make multiple drops either, but have no benefit to offset it.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,420 posts
6,928 battles
6 hours ago, digger52 said:

The final straw was being focussed by it in my Atago, where it dropped 6 torps in an individual salvo, all 6 torps in a tight bunch, and very fast in water speed.

Afaik, the torps are not really fast and they have a very long arming distance, giving more time to take evasive action. I'll wait for first hand experience before jumping into conclusions. 

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
Just now, ArIskandir said:

Afaik, the torps are not really fast and they have a very long arming distance, giving more time to take evasive action. I'll wait for first hand experience before jumping into conclusions. 

I dunno, I watched a Nakhimov drop, and they certainly didn't seem USN/RN slow anyway.

And the spread on the 8 torps was such that the only way to avoid the torps was to dodge the entire spread. A DD might slip through, if they were able to line up 100% parallel to the torps' course, and judged the margin perfectly.

[-HUGS]
Members
233 posts
6,986 battles

Got into 2 games against T8 Chkalov yesterday. Both as a bottom tier Nueve De Julio. 

The skip bombs and torpedoes deal MONSTER DAMAGES.  The planes are quite tanky; i was running with DFAA and he didn't seem to care all that much.  His best drop, using skip bombs, dealt about 50% dmg but at least I had DCP ready to deal with the 3 fires. 
A North Carolina (poor torpedo protection, I know) complained about being sunk by the torpedo drops too.... It does look very strong at the moment but that's why they're testing it. I just wish the testers could have the courtesy not to focus the weakest ships for 10 minutes straight in a OP test ship but.... That's a lot to ask for, I know.

[AC1]
Members
246 posts
380 battles

Russian bias is strangling this game.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Soviet nuclear subs with unlimited dive time and cruise missiles while everyone else is stuck with diesel electrics.

Edited by Lynx7386
  • Boring 3

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
1 minute ago, Lynx7386 said:

Russian bias is strangling this game.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Soviet nuclear subs with unlimited dive time and cruise missiles while everyone else is stuck with diesel electrics.

I don't think it'll be that obvious.

What I'd expect, is some kind of a tradeoff that works in theory, but is no tradeoff at all in practice.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
9,420 posts
6,928 battles
25 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I dunno, I watched a Nakhimov drop, and they certainly didn't seem USN/RN slow anyway.

And the spread on the 8 torps was such that the only way to avoid the torps was to dodge the entire spread. A DD might slip through, if they were able to line up 100% parallel to the torps' course, and judged the margin perfectly.

Indeed the spread looks like an all or nothing affair but from what I've watched it looks like they can't be dropped "on your face", the arming distance seems really long and you get a lot of reaction time. 

[ARR0W]
Members
4,244 posts
26,639 battles

It’s testing. Weimar was as strong as Mainz during early playertest. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,748 posts
6,865 battles
2 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

We already know what the Russian subs are and they are all diesel electrics...

Members
397 posts
3 hours ago, Mr_Argamas said:

Got into 2 games against T8 Chkalov yesterday. Both as a bottom tier Nueve De Julio. 

The skip bombs and torpedoes deal MONSTER DAMAGES.  The planes are quite tanky; i was running with DFAA and he didn't seem to care all that much.  His best drop, using skip bombs, dealt about 50% dmg but at least I had DCP ready to deal with the 3 fires. 
A North Carolina (poor torpedo protection, I know) complained about being sunk by the torpedo drops too.... It does look very strong at the moment but that's why they're testing it. I just wish the testers could have the courtesy not to focus the weakest ships for 10 minutes straight in a OP test ship but.... That's a lot to ask for, I know.

Most testers are just going after seal clubbing and clips for their youtube/twitch channels. Its a power trip for 90% of them, which is great for the rest of us right?

• Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
8 minutes ago, USMC_FMF said:

Most testers are just going after seal clubbing and clips for their youtube/twitch channels. Its a power trip for 90% of them, which is great for the rest of us right?

TBH, I prefer that to them handling us with kid gloves, and then getting blapped by legions of OP ships once released.

Of course, that assumes that any OP-ness found in testing gets reined in.... 

[CAAT]
Members
2,324 posts
5,369 battles
9 hours ago, tm63au said:

7 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

..and the Mediterranean.. Glorious, unstoppable, far reaching floating fist of Stalin.

5gpd3n.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1