You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
haplessly

The sailboats don't appear to be quite right in the rotterdam harbor

25 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
Members
24 posts
17,965 battles

There is at least one that very clearly has both leeboards up while sailing on a reach.  I'm under the impression that you need to have the one on the leeward side down in the water to act as the keel to keep the boat from moving laterally (serves the same function as a centerboard or a dagger board).

The sailboats aren't healed over when they are on a reach.  However the position of the sails doesn't always seem to be correct.  When they are sailing in the same direction as my ship is pointing, with the flags of my ship indicating that sailboat is pointing into the wind, the sails are closed hualed - this is ok, though it seems that the sailboat may be pointing a little too close to the wind.  When the sailboat goes the other way, it is now running down wind - the boom and the jib should be positioned on perpendicular to the hull and on opposite sides.

This is just a couple of minor nits.  It is good to see that wargaming is including sailboats that approximate dutch sailboats in rotterdam, especially considering how important sailing was to navies before WWI in order to reach areas that didn't have much supply infrastructure.

Edited by haplessly

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,176 posts
3,088 battles

Imagine caring so much about this you wrote a post on the forums...

This game isn't about sail boats... the harbor is just a background noise to make the UI nicer to look at... nobody cares if the sailboats sails aren't even up and they're moving.. none of it remotely matters...

• Boring 3
  • Meh 2

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,735 posts
6,572 battles
16 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

Imagine caring so much about this you wrote a reply on the forums... 

17 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

This game isn't about sail boats... 

With all the paper ships in the game you could probably make a nice sail. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,023 posts
21,157 battles
16 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

This game isn't about sail boats... the harbor is just a background noise to make the UI nicer to look at... nobody cares if the sailboats sails aren't even up and they're moving.. none of it remotely matters...

If the orientation of the ship name isn't correct on a Japanese BB there's hell to be paid on the forums due to the weebs complaining. This is no different imo. 

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[SGSS]
Members
6,915 posts
22 hours ago, haplessly said:

There is at least one that very clearly has both leeboards up while sailing on a reach.  I'm under the impression that you need to have the one on the leeward side down in the water to act as the keel to keep the boat from moving laterally (serves the same function as a centerboard or a dagger board).

The sailboats aren't healed over when they are on a reach.  However the position of the sails doesn't always seem to be correct.  When they are sailing in the same direction as my ship is pointing, with the flags of my ship indicating that sailboat is pointing into the wind, the sails are closed hualed - this is ok, though it seems that the sailboat may be pointing a little too close to the wind.  When the sailboat goes the other way, it is now running down wind - the boom and the jib should be positioned on perpendicular to the hull and on opposite sides.

This is just a couple of minor nits.  It is good to see that wargaming is including sailboats that approximate dutch sailboats in rotterdam, especially considering how important sailing was to navies before WWI in order to reach areas that didn't have much supply infrastructure.

Thats interesting I was thinking something was writing but could not fig it out.

Of the ports lately this is the most interesting.

• Cool 1

Members
306 posts
1,531 battles
On 7/16/2021 at 12:33 AM, haplessly said:

I understood the first ten words, then it all went black.

[-VT-]
Members
24 posts
17,965 battles
5 hours ago, Lady_Athena said:

The art department does such a great job over the minutia of this game, it is strange that they wouldn't get it correct.  It is the minutia and attention to detail that creates a more immersive experience for me.

But then again considering basic physics involving seakeeping, some of the ships (especially the paper ships) if they floated would probably swamp - so it should be of no surprise that they give sailboats abilities that defy basic physics.  by the way, many sailboats of the period around WWI and WWII had engines, so it wouldn't be unusual to see a sailboat moving without the sail being set.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
3 hours ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

I actually understood it. When I was an undergrad, a marina at a local lake rented sailboats. Unfortunately, the first time a bunch of us took a sailboat out we spent more time in the water than in the boat as we didn't have a clue how to actually sail and kept capsizing it. The next weekend, while all my friends were at the lake doing just as poorly as they had the previous one, I was in the library reading a book on basic sailing concepts. After reading that that one book, and with a little practice, I got pretty good at sailing the small sailboats they had at the marina. In fact, the marina owner said that he always liked to see me show up as I was the only renter he knew who could bring a sailboat in without crashing it into the dock. I'd highly recommend trying out sailing as its really fun.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
2,216 posts
9,796 battles

I will now have to see if the yawls in the Philippines change tack when they turn around. 

Sailing can be fun as long as you are not in a hurry. 

Or as one crusing wag defined sailboat cruising, " the world's most expensive way to travel fourth class."

And sailboat people tend to know a little more about what they are doing than powerboat people. But there is much more to get wrong. 

[FRFR]
Members
1,608 posts
11 hours ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

What will really blow your mind is that leeward is actually pronounced lou-word.

Members
156 posts
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I actually understood it. When I was an undergrad, a marina at a local lake rented sailboats. Unfortunately, the first time a bunch of us took a sailboat out we spent more time in the water than in the boat as we didn't have a clue how to actually sail and kept capsizing it. The next weekend, while all my friends were at the lake doing just as poorly as they had the previous one, I was in the library reading a book on basic sailing concepts. After reading that that one book, and with a little practice, I got pretty good at sailing the small sailboats they had at the marina. In fact, the marina owner said that he always liked to see me show up as I was the only renter he knew who could bring a sailboat in without crashing it into the dock. I'd highly recommend trying out sailing as its really fun.

Having growqn up in a US Coast Guard family I got a feel for much of this business.  Never really dug too deep but I know more than you're average bumpkin.

[FRFR]
Members
1,608 posts
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Same.  We used to sail little 420’s at a Marina in Long Beach every Friday afternoon for my NROTC unit.  I got to be the “Sailing Officer” for a couple of semesters since I was one of the few people that really enjoyed it and would go just for the fun of it.

Members
306 posts
1,531 battles
25 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

What will really blow your mind is that leeward is actually pronounced lou-word.

Dammit, I named my son Leeward! Now he's gonna be all confused when I start calling him "Lou".

23 minutes ago, catloverjerrygarcia1979 said:

average bumpkin

I resemble that remark.

• Funny 2

Members
276 posts
802 battles
On 7/15/2021 at 11:03 PM, haplessly said:

Artists aren't always experts on their subjects.

Look at most paintings of big battles during the age of fighting sail and you'll see sails trimmed every which-way, powder smoke blowing up-wind, and flags flying in all directions.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
48 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

Actually, most Americans pronounce "leeward" as it is spelled (i.e., lēwərd) though lo͞oərd is an acceptable alternate pronunciation. "Lee" refers to the downwind or sheltered side of something, the word root literally meaning "sheltered." "Lee" is pronounced various ways (lea, lee, leigh, li, lie, etc.) depending on regional dialect.

There are many "official" pronunciations that are hardly, if ever, used anymore. For instance, when referring to one's forte or what one is good at the pronunciation should be as fort but most everyone pronounces it for-tay. Merriam Webster notes that "in forte we have a word derived from French that in its "strong point" sense has no entirely satisfactory pronunciation."

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
10 minutes ago, CruiserSailor said:

Artists aren't always experts on their subjects.

Look at most paintings of big battles during the age of fighting sail and you'll see sails trimmed every which-way, powder smoke blowing up-wind, and flags flying in all directions.

There are many famous depictions of battles that were painted a couple of decades or more after the event in which the weapons and uniforms of the portrayed combatants are wrong because the artist copied the contemporary weapons and uniforms that he had available to use as models.

Many viewers of paintings and watchers of movies either don't care or don't know enough to care about things like weapons, uniforms, and military procedures anachronisms but seeing things like an 1894 Winchester being used in a movie about the US Civil War is about as glaring to those "in the know" as it would be seeing a WWII movie and having the American GIs armed with M-16s.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
15,648 posts
9,782 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

For instance, when referring to one's forte or what one is good at the pronunciation should be as fort but most everyone pronounces it for-tay. Merriam Webster notes that "in forte we have a word derived from French that in its "strong point" sense has no entirely satisfactory pronunciation."

My rule of thumb is always use the pronunciation according to the root language forte is a french word, taken straight out with a similar meaning... it should be pronounced as in French.  

[SALVO]
Members
15,648 posts
9,782 battles
10 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

There are many famous depictions of battles that were painted a couple of decades or more after the event in which the weapons and uniforms of the portrayed combatants are wrong because the artist copied the contemporary weapons and uniforms that he had available to use as models.

Indeed, you gotta love those ancient Greek and Roman depictions with full renaissance armor kits 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

My rule of thumb is always use the pronunciation according to the root language forte is a french word, taken straight out with a similar meaning... it should be pronounced as in French.  

But do you pronounce it fort (masculine) or forte (feminine)?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Indeed, you gotta love those ancient Greek and Roman depictions with full renaissance armor kits 

Those Renaissance painters were pretty weird sometimes, even when depicting contemporary events. Artists' representations of animals could be pretty fantastical too. I think that this was supposed to be a whale.

20131015090018Sea-Swine-56.jpg 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
15,648 posts
9,782 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

But do you pronounce it fort (masculine) or forte (feminine)?

I pronounce it with the exasperating and utterly disgusting (to my taste) french guttural gargle GR sound... foGRt :Smile_hiding: 

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
15,648 posts
9,782 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Those Renaissance painters were pretty weird sometimes, even when depicting contemporary events. Artists' representations of animals could be pretty fantastical too. I think that this was supposed to be a whale.

20131015090018Sea-Swine-56.jpg 

Yeah, those guys had no shortage of creativity...  people also received the fantastical filter 

Mv6v3jG.png

[FRFR]
Members
1,608 posts
45 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Actually, most Americans pronounce "leeward" as it is spelled (i.e., lēwərd) though lo͞oərd is an acceptable alternate pronunciation.

Yeah, well most Americans are wrong then!  :Smile-_tongue:

(I’m American BTW)

Members
306 posts
1,531 battles
2 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

Yeah, well most Americans are wrong then!  :Smile-_tongue:

(I’m American BTW)

But...but...WHICH OF THESE TWO STATEMENTS DO I BELIEVE??

[FRFR]
Members
1,608 posts
1 hour ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

But...but...WHICH OF THESE TWO STATEMENTS DO I BELIEVE??

Well, if you follow our politics, you just choose to believe whichever one you prefer…