Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WibbilyWobbily

Alpha male returns after 5 year hiatus

27 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
247 posts
118 battles

Hello! Hopefully this is the right place to put something like this. I played WoWS all the way back in Alpha, and stopped playing around mid 2016 because I got bored. Yesterday I got a sudden itch to play again, so here I am reinstalling it after 5 years!

I recall being a very annoying user back then, but I promise to not be like that a second time. In fact I had a negative reputation at one point. I'm too scared to look at my post history, so let's pretend it doesn't exist :)

So what's changed? Rather, what are changes I should know about? My guess is that my experience from 5 years ago won't translate over well, although I don't know how a game about boats can get so drastically different lol.

Smooth sailing! Hope to see you on the horizon!

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles
1 minute ago, WibbilyWobbily said:

Hello! Hopefully this is the right place to put something like this. I played WoWS all the way back in Alpha, and stopped playing around mid 2016 because I got bored. Yesterday I got a sudden itch to play again, so here I am reinstalling it after 5 years!

I recall being a very annoying user back then, but I promise to not be like that a second time. In fact I had a negative reputation at one point. I'm too scared to look at my post history, so let's pretend it doesn't exist :)

So what's changed? Rather, what are changes I should know about? My guess is that my experience from 5 years ago won't translate over well, although I don't know how a game about boats can get so drastically different lol.

Biggest thing is, if you were at all decent back then, you probably keep moving.

A lot of players seem to favour stationary gameplay, which, if they aren't doing it well, makes it easier for those who keep moving to deal with them.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,549 battles

Only one or 2 minor changes and additions since then. 

Good luck! 

• Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

[VAST_]
Members
297 posts
7,314 battles

I wasn't around then, but it strikes me as potentially entertaining to read your impressions of the games's current state as compared to that at the time of your initial departure. And the ensuing discussion could be even more entertaining. 

In any case, have fun.

[SALVO]
Members
9,503 posts
6,975 battles

Well, the good news is you have a whole new game to learn... again...

Pro Tip: The moment you make your first purchase as a "returned", all those shiny offers, trial, coupons will suddenly stop. The longer you hold on to your money the better the offers you'll get, be patient don't settle for pebbles on your first week back into the game. Make them try hard for your money. 

[AAA]
Members
259 posts
20,903 battles

Welcome back ! 

20 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Good luck! 

Only a slight understatement… 

Pretty much the game as you knew no longer exists.

BBs no longer tank

DDs can no longer OWSF

Flooding is no longer a death sentence 

CVs are more popular now and just as annoying 

AA builds are no longer viable, although in some shops you can make it work. 

• Boring 2

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,271 posts
8,371 battles

OP..  I too bailed right after release.   Guess I was about 500-600 games in.   Left for nearly 2.5 years.   Came back to a brand new game..    I was ferociously bad.. rushed through a whole bunch of lines terribly.  But, I am enjoying it a lot more than I remember..   It's a wildly different game, a lot more depth of play and things to learn.  Good Luck.     I hope after 5 years it probably won't be as bad for you, you've had a lot more time to forget the habits from the game you left. 

Oh and almost forgot.. SUBMARINES soon !!!  

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,737 posts
32,126 battles
37 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Good luck! 

38 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

:Smile_amazed:

"Only 1 or 2 minor changes"???  I'm assuming that you're being massively sarcastic.

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,259 posts
18,838 battles
46 minutes ago, WibbilyWobbily said:

First well welcome back. 

The game is still shooty boats doing shooty things but there has been many changes in meta and mechanics. The game is very different than it was at launch. Some would say better some would say worse. 

I would head to youtube and check out some of the main channels to get up to date.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,618 posts

Alpha male returns after 5 year hiatus

I know this is the major plot scenario of about 10 movies a year  (see latest Sean Penn film).... but its really not all that interesting.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,421 posts
12,847 battles
1 hour ago, WibbilyWobbily said:

They scrapped a lot of old posts, so maybe you are safe.

And I hope you weren't overly attached to RTS CVs.

(should we mention the submarines thing?)

Edited by DrHolmes52

Alpha Tester
247 posts
118 battles
14 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

I know this is the major plot scenario of about 10 movies a year  (see latest Sean Penn film).... but its really not all that interesting.

Oh... okay :(

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles

Think of it as being reborn again... Whatever you learned back then, don't apply to the current version of the game...

GL

[WOLFC]
Members
2,618 posts
10 minutes ago, WibbilyWobbily said:

Oh... okay :(

Oh, you, an original Alpha tester, returning after 5  years - that is vaguely interesting

Just the thread  title reminds me of so much US pop culture...

Alpha Tester
247 posts
118 battles

Thanks for all the advice and info everyone! I played a few games just now and found it to be relatively easy to get back into. Of course they were all low tier ships so I was playing against mostly bots lol.

27 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

(should we mention the submarines thing?)

Oh boy, I remember when they swore up and down that subs would never be put into the game!

[WOLFG]
Members
13,421 posts
12,847 battles
2 minutes ago, WibbilyWobbily said:

Thanks for all the advice and info everyone! I played a few games just now and found it to be relatively easy to get back into. Of course they were all low tier ships so I was playing against mostly bots lol.

Oh boy, I remember when they swore up and down that subs would never be put into the game!

Remember Yamato having the biggest guns?

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Remember Yamato having the biggest guns?

Shhh dont scare him off... He just arrived back!:Smile_hiding:

[SR-_-]
Members
5,021 posts
46,910 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Biggest thing is, if you were at all decent back then, you probably keep moving.

A lot of players seem to favour stationary gameplay, which, if they aren't doing it well, makes it easier for those who keep moving to deal with them.

Indeed. Park ship, die. Move ship, you have a better than average chance of beating a parked ship because you sailed around to get them. 

Tactics have evolved. Players are a lot smarter, but you still get that one guy that won't move until a slew of torps hits them in the stern. 

[DDDDC]
Members
132 posts
709 battles
6 hours ago, WibbilyWobbily said:

I'm in the same boat as you... just not an Alpha - Closed Beta and on for me.  I quit in Dec 2016 when I basically lost my #$%@ over some stupid stuff with a certain CM at the time and I ended up perma-deleting my 15K games account and walking away for over 4.5 years.  Came back last month.

Can't really answer you on what's changed yet completely as I am starting from scratch here again and learning as I go but some things that stand out to me.... 

(1) what's with all the damn robot ships!   - Back in 2016, you NEVER saw a bot outside of tier 1, maybe in tier II on a really slow day. But this time around, I was playing almost solo until Tier IV.  Kept checking to see I didn't choose Co-Op by mistake.  Seems to me the overall userbase is way way down;

(2) Four CV's in Tier IV matches when you have ships with absolutely no AA.  That was another new one, lol.

(3) Dem' names!  All i see are new ship name after new ship name.  I'm just calling them by tier and type in my head.  Don't recognize anything, lol.  And it's not just the new tech tree's.   There's tons of premiums out there.

(4) The Money being milked!  $100+ for a freaking pixel ship?!  Are you kidding me?  I got my first premium for Beta testing... got the second for a buck (OK - So that Humble Bundle PR disaster will live on in memory forever, hehe)  But seriously...  I was a guy who spent about over a grand a year, but I lived on the forum, did a lot of contributing to the community and experimented a lot in game so I burned doubloons and premium time.  Most of my premium ships I got from contests, challenges, missions etc.  I just can't fathom throwing a hundred bucks away at a single ship that you might play for a month then get bored of.  But, whatever floats people's boats I guess.  

This time around, I haven't spent a single penny on this game and still I've enjoyed 335 games in 52 different ships, I've had premium status for almost a month and still have another 35 days of it left (all from container drops and missions),  I have 2 premium ships already with a third that I will get in 4 days time when the next stage of the Dutch missions unlock.   And I am only really playing the ships I want too, doing the daily 50% runs and working a few lines up past T5 now.  I watch Twitch for some examples and to farm the drops and I try and pick the missions that suit my play style and ships.   I'm having a pretty good time to be honest - and I have nothing but time invested in it so it won't hurt t walk away when it's not fun anymore. 

7 hours ago, Skpstr said:

:Smile_great:  This!

I'm a brawler.  I don't care much about stats (other then wanting to win!) and I have a hard time wasting 20 mins waiting for someone to make the first mistake.  But a lot of players these days seem to love hovering around the edges and sniping (if they have the BB's and/or long range CA/CL's) or they only engage when you're near dead -  like packs of hyenas after a free meal, lol.  Well, I guess when you pay $124 for a freaking pixel ship, you might be inclined to not want to get it scratched.

Today i had a match in my Omaha where another player made a joke about how quick the Omahas would die and I did what i usually do in my Omaha... I turned and fired and turned and fired and never stopped.  Before you know it, I had 70K damage, 3 kills, A confederate award and 2100 base XP.  That same guy said "I've never seen an Omaha get a confederate before" .. LOL   And I only have 7 or 8 point captains in my ships!    A lot of players seem to have forgotten how to sail these ships.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts
27 minutes ago, Done_Dirt_Cheap said:

Seems to me the overall userbase is way way down;

It's been pretty stable or grown a little on this server. However most missions require t5 and up. The xp to get through early tiers has been reduced. Early access events for new lines allow most players to start with the t6 or higher further reducing low tier populations even with a new release. Also the overall population has matured to more high tiers anyway as well as more competitive modes using higher tier ships. This all contributes to few players at lower tiers. 

[BIG_E]
Members
308 posts
3,636 battles

Welcome back. I also took a break from the game for around two years or so due to the fact I got bored from the game.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles
16 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Indeed. Park ship, die. Move ship, you have a better than average chance of beating a parked ship because you sailed around to get them. 

Tactics have evolved. Players are a lot smarter, but you still get that one guy that won't move until a slew of torps hits them in the stern. 

I think a lot of the problem is that good players know when to move and when not to, but lesser players watching them just see them stopped.

12 hours ago, Done_Dirt_Cheap said:

Today i had a match in my Omaha where another player made a joke about how quick the Omahas would die and I did what i usually do in my Omaha... I turned and fired and turned and fired and never stopped.  Before you know it, I had 70K damage, 3 kills, A confederate award and 2100 base XP.  That same guy said "I've never seen an Omaha get a confederate before" .. LOL   And I only have 7 or 8 point captains in my ships!    A lot of players seem to have forgotten how to sail these ships.

Yep, I get similar results with mine.

Too many players want to sit behind an island and lob shells. You can do that, but then you waste Omaha's stellar mobility, and if you misjudge your distance from the island you're hiding behind, you're a sitting duck.

I don't think a lot of players realise that incoming shells near the limit of a ship's range have a steeper angle than outgoing shells would from the same ship, and get caught that way.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
911 posts
6,699 battles

Yea, it would be way more interesting to just jump in, discover and report your impressions from the years ago point of view. Only having been here a bit under two years, I would follow that.

Sign in to follow this