You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Two Brothers Middle

28 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
6,796 posts
20,424 battles

It's probably been a couple of years since I've gone with a gaggle up the middle. Not a gaggle that stops at the threshold.  But a full bore...no stop...push through brawl.  When three BBs agreed, I had to too (in my Bismarck)...to make it four BBs up the middle.  Biz is probably the best to run that one...and I was the tip of the spear.  We only got three through.  And it didn't go very well.  But you know...sometimes...well...you just gotta do it.  Throw rationality to the wind.  Maybe a once a year event.  Take the karma hit..take the stat hit.  Just Do It.

As for Karma, I guess my middle buddies liked my style, 'cause I actually received a +1.

• Cool 4
  • Haha 1

Members
559 posts

That strategy fails most of the time. It can work going up the middle in the latter half of the battle when enemy has few ships guarding their side. Usually best with a DD

[SALVO]
Members
9,489 posts
6,975 battles

We should have a regular "Goofball" mode, stats free and maps choke full of silly features to have silly unencumbered fun... to do all those very funny but questionable plays we usually avoid doing on a regular match, if anything else just out of respect for your fellow team mates... in "Goofball" mode you'll know you are signing in for full madness 

• Cool 7

[CO-OP]
Members
2,719 posts
30,125 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

We should have a regular "Goofball" mode, stats free and maps choke full of silly features to have silly unencumbered fun... to do all those very funny but questionable plays we usually avoid doing on a regular match, if anything else just out of respect for your fellow team mates... in "Goofball" mode you'll know you are signing in for full madness 

You can sometimes get PTS participants to go for this.

[SALVO]
Members
9,489 posts
6,975 battles
Just now, Efros said:

You can sometimes get PTS participants to go for this.

Yeah, PTS can be fun like that but the problem is it isn't your "real" account... In a way PTS is a waste of time but for the direct short term fun you get from playing it. No long term objective fulfillment to have.

Members
799 posts
10,291 battles

Middle push on Two Brothers will end poorly almost 100% of the time if done early in the match, it's incredibly easy to defend against. You will alert the enemy team the second you emerge from channel into the cap(if you haven't already been spotted) and you will get crossfired into oblivion by a full team of nearby enemies on both flanks. Potato play...don't do it.

A middle push however can work late in the match if you have enemy ships spotted and accounted for(or dead)and it is confirmed they are pushing down both flanks towards your side of the map.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[-AFK-]
Members
1,379 posts
16,788 battles

My clan leader ALWAYS goes up the center on two brothers, 
not even lying, we've done it around 8 times since I have been in the clan and we've won every time. 
Our trick is not not push out the other side, draw as many ships into the mouth and pick them off one at a time, then when you see their flanks weaken and the chaos of 'OMG What do we do' sets in and you can see ships fleeing and out of position, you push out. 
It is actually a very fun strat 

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles
5 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

It's probably been a couple of years since I've gone with a gaggle up the middle. Not a gaggle that stops at the threshold.  But a full bore...no stop...push through brawl.  When three BBs agreed, I had to too (in my Bismarck)...to make it four BBs up the middle.  Biz is probably the best to run that one...and I was the tip of the spear.  We only got three through.  And it didn't go very well.  But you know...sometimes...well...you just gotta do it.  Throw rationality to the wind.  Maybe a once a year event.  Take the karma hit..take the stat hit.  Just Do It.

As for Karma, I guess my middle buddies liked my style, 'cause I actually received a +1.

Animated GIF

[ARGSY]
Members
773 posts
11,694 battles

Had two BBs do it in a game last night. And, it worked. But it is still a bonehead move because 90% of the time it fails. Goes to show that even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then. 

[CNO]
Members
6,796 posts
20,424 battles
6 hours ago, Depraved_Miscreant said:

My clan leader ALWAYS goes up the center on two brothers, 
not even lying, we've done it around 8 times since I have been in the clan and we've won every time. 
Our trick is not not push out the other side, draw as many ships into the mouth and pick them off one at a time, then when you see their flanks weaken and the chaos of 'OMG What do we do' sets in and you can see ships fleeing and out of position, you push out. 
It is actually a very fun strat 

FWIW, I've seen this work.  The key, as you noted, was NOT to burst out into the crossfire.  But still, it requires good coordination, which with a a clan or division mates can work.  

• Cool 1

[4_0_4]
Members
314 posts
1,926 battles
12 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Honestly, it seemed kind of like what people did in Grand Battles.  I did some hyper aggressive things in Pommern and Seattle that I wouldn’t ever try in a random.  It was honestly a great learning tool.  Sometimes it even worked.

[TDRB]
Members
5,395 posts
13,743 battles
13 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

You can get away with "up the middle" every now & then in randoms. Under the right conditions in coops, a run up the middle at the start of the battle can pull most of the red team. You can sink half or more of the red team if you're on the right ship.

[SPERG]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,545 posts
13,661 battles

Translation for the WOT players: Valley rush on Lakeville was successful this ONE time.

[-AFK-]
Members
1,379 posts
16,788 battles
4 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

FWIW, I've seen this work.  The key, as you noted, was NOT to burst out into the crossfire.  But still, it requires good coordination, which with a a clan or division mates can work.  

It is very fun :)

[--V--]
Members
1,585 posts
14,625 battles

I see players do this all the time,,,,,, know immediately its a loss.   Why?

1. The ships which go up the middle are immediately flanked on both sides by the entire enemy team.
  2. Weakens Green teams flanks trying to cap A and D.
  3. Once the 'home' team sinks the idiots going up the middle, they can now focus on the weakened attacks at A and D.

Is it fun?  Don't know, never foolish enough to try it.  Why pretty much guarantee a loss?

Does it work sometimes?   Never seen it, but I hear it has before.   Doesn't mean its a smart move for the team.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
323 posts
4,459 battles

It is the most fun way to lose a match. 

[PHD]
Members
2,004 posts
7,777 battles

Had a DD do it in CoOp. The bots will attack the low HP ship, which is the DD. Then the DD blocks green torps and guns until it is dead. Leaving anyone who didn't go around a flank to deal with it.

[CNO]
Members
6,796 posts
20,424 battles
On 7/16/2021 at 12:45 PM, Dunnik said:

It is the most fun way to lose a match. 

^^this^^

But you still can win it.  Just don't go into it thinking it's a winning strategy.  In our game, things were still up in the air even after the push failed.  There were a few red ships that played a very good defense game, including one BB that tanked the rush.  I pushed for a ram...but a DD came to the rescue.  And then they worked the attrition game in a methodological way, snowballing to a clear win in the end.

[TNP66]
[TNP66]
Beta Testers
2,545 posts
6,505 battles

Only destroyers can make it there and not other types of ship. Submarines will most likely go down the middle as they can stay submerged.

Members
0 posts
On 7/16/2021 at 9:38 AM, SeaborneSumo said:

I see players do this all the time,,,,,, know immediately its a loss.   Why?

1. The ships which go up the middle are immediately flanked on both sides by the entire enemy team.
  2. Weakens Green teams flanks trying to cap A and D.
  3. Once the 'home' team sinks the idiots going up the middle, they can now focus on the weakened attacks at A and D.

Is it fun?  Don't know, never foolish enough to try it.  Why pretty much guarantee a loss?

Does it work sometimes?   Never seen it, but I hear it has before.   Doesn't mean its a smart move for the team.

The most successful applications of going up the middle are after the engagements on the flanks have pretty much settled in.  A DD and Cruiser or DD and something with good secondaries and big guns can usually cause enough disarray that the flanks can push.  But that's a big if factor, if your team is bold enough to ya know actually push.

[VIGIL]
Members
476 posts
On 7/15/2021 at 10:38 AM, Soshi_Sone said:

Throw rationality to the wind.

Thanks for posting this. :) Some of the most fun I’ve had in this game has been when players are willing to stop taking it so seriously and try things that usually seem a little crazy.