You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Trophy_Wench

What's better, coal for ship or coal for commander?

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
433 posts
2,365 battles

So I recently started getting up to the levels of coal where I can actually buy, uknow, good stuff. And I have been eyeing up Kuznetzov as a new captain but I've been thinking about getting a ship instead. The two ships I'm currently looking into are the Marco Polo and the Yoshino. TBH though, If WeeGee ends up giving us another once a year general use coupon again sometime soon, I might just end up buying MP outright for money. Additionally, since I am thinking about the Yoshino, is there any real advantage to just FXPing for Azuma instead? Any advice is welcome!

[BTLST]
[BTLST]
Members
1,128 posts
18,427 battles

A new ship coupon for doubloons and for resources (coal/steel) comes every 6 months, the next ones are due in December. I recently bought Kuznetzov, but only after I already had 280k coal, so it wouldn't take too long to get coal back up to a level to afford a tier 10 ship. The only coal ships I'm currently interested in are Salem and Moskva, even though the latter supposedly isn't as good as the Petro.

But I might wait until I'm back to 300k coal or so and then pick up another commander (Lütgens), since I'm going to use my current resource coupon on a steel ship.

In order to decide on a particular ship make sure to read LWM's ship reviews. She also had a more recent post about coal ships: 

Edited by tangofan
  • Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
4,227 posts
23,258 battles
1 hour ago, Trophy_Wench said:

So I recently started getting up to the levels of coal where I can actually buy, uknow, good stuff. And I have been eyeing up Kuznetzov as a new captain but I've been thinking about getting a ship instead. The two ships I'm currently looking into are the Marco Polo and the Yoshino. TBH though, If WeeGee ends up giving us another once a year general use coupon again sometime soon, I might just end up buying MP outright for money. Additionally, since I am thinking about the Yoshino, is there any real advantage to just FXPing for Azuma instead? Any advice is welcome!

If you have ships then get the Commander.

1 ship is one ship.

The Commander can be used in every Premium in his Nation and your Best Tech Tree ship.

A single buy that makes many things better.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,585 posts
30,508 battles

If you have a bunch of Premium Ships within a same nation for a commander to rotate through freely, the special commander can go a very long ways.  If you use that commander a lot because you use that nation's ships, you'll be piling on the XPs on him real good.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,587 posts
31,028 battles
5 hours ago, Trophy_Wench said:

Save up enough for both plus enough fo the most expensive ship & then if nothing has been announced that it's being pulled soon get both & have the extra on hand in case something is announced to be pulled...

If something is announced to be pulled get it before it goes away.

• Cool 1

[TYPH]
Beta Testers
232 posts
11,724 battles

My first coal purchase was the Georgia, because it was going away.  My second purchase (just a few weeks ago) was Lutjens.  

I get a lot more value from Lutjens, since he can command all my German premium ships.  Which is important, because I want to get him a lot of XP to boost up his skills.  So there's a lot to be said for getting a commander first and starting that grind.  It's probably the most efficient way to go, if there's a commander who you'd want to play that much.

But I don't regret getting the Georgia first.  She's a great ship and I would have always regretted not getting her.

• Thanks 1

[FRFR]
Members
1,608 posts
7 hours ago, Trophy_Wench said:

Well, I'm also going to say that you should get Kuznetzov, but mostly because I don't think that either of the ships you listed are worth it.

[ARGSY]
Members
30,557 posts
28,102 battles
7 hours ago, Trophy_Wench said:

And I have been eyeing up Kuznetzov as a new captain but I've been thinking about getting a ship instead.

If you have enough Russian premiums and one suitable tech-tree ship, and you play the F out of all of them, Kuznetsov becomes an attractive proposition.

I recently had to make the same decision regarding Lutjens, and I realized that with multiple premium German cruisers, battleships, destroyers AND carriers in my port, I had reached a tipping point and could no longer justify not having him. That being said, Kuznetsov's talents are different and YOU have to decide how well they work with the ships YOU intend to put him in. IIRC his last-ditch super-heal cannot be triggered in Clan battles, so double-check for yourself and be aware of that if you intend to use him in ships you might fight CB with. 

I have always viewed Yoshino as Azuma with torpedoes, and coal as easier to re-accumulate than FXP. I personally don't want either of them, but if I had a gun to my head and I had to get one of them or else, I'd get Yoshino. She won't make as many credits, but she costs a fair bit less to run per battle. That matters to some people. The torps make her more flexible, and the changes to team damage mean that you'll be taking fewer risks if you let the 20km torps rip in close company. As for the Marco Polo, I once considered her but I already have several Italian premium ships, and in the current Commander Skills set-up I'm not losing anything in terms of skills optimization if I retrain my BB line commanders in a cruiser. A year ago, she would have been more attractive from that perspective. I MIGHT grab her at some stage if I have the coal to spare and nothing else to spend it on, but for now she remains further down on the wait-list.

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
19,353 posts
21,800 battles
10 hours ago, Trophy_Wench said:

In my understanding the Commanders available in exchange for coal come in two basic flavors ...
1.  35,000 coal Commander with 10 skill points.
2.  175,000 coal Commander with 10 skill points and one or more "special" bonuses to certain Captain's skills and an interesting historical biography, because they are inspired from a real person's life.

The 35,000 coal Commanders are useful, especially if you're starting a tech-tree line and don't have an abundance of well-trained Commanders for that line's ships.
The 175,000 coal Commanders are nice, if you have the coal to spare.  They take time and/or a lot of CXP or FXP to get to 21 skill points, though (as would any 10-point Commander, of course).
So, it depends upon your desire for the special traits and biography of the historical Commander(s), eh? 
Will you get your coal's worth of use from them?  Or do you have the coal and just want to have them around because you like them?

It's up to you to figure that out.  :-)

As for the Azuma?
I welcomed her to my Port and have no regrets.  I like sailing her and have assigned Commander Azur Lane Azuma to be her Captain.  
The Yoshino is one tier up, and adds torpedoes.  Both are fun ships, in my opinion.
I got impatient with myself and spent $$ to welcome the Azuma to my Port.  That was my decision.  If you're patient, I feel the Azuma is an even better value in exchange for 1,000,000 FXP.  
But, if you're not patient, then perhaps the Agir will be waiting for the time when you do have 1,000,000 FXP laying around, eh?  :-)

• Thanks 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,329 posts

i had enough for pommern, marco polo or a commander.

I play alot of GE bb's... so went with Lutjens..

The ITA bb's don't click well with coop for me, and even though pommern is decent, i figured with all the GE BB's i play i would get more mileage out of Lutjens.

[RSWF]
Members
397 posts
5,902 battles

I finally got enough coal to buy a ship last year in late August(?) so I bought the Georgia with my coupon.  Soon after, they announced that the Georgia and Thunderer would be leaving the store and I had very little coal.  I managed to get enough coal in time to get the Thunderer as well before she left the Armory (thanks to the coupon renewing in December before she was pulled).  Now my plan is to wait until later in the coupon cycle to use the coupon so that if some ships are announced to be leaving (and I want them) I will not have to sweat whether I can get enough coal in time - both because I have a larger buffer of coal and I will have a coupon available.

You get 2 coal/steel coupons (and 2 doubloon coupons) for the Armory per year.  I'm tentatively planning to have enough steel to use the next coupon on a steel ship (maybe this coupon if things go a little faster than planned).  When I use the coupon on steel, I'm planning to buy a unique commander since I will not have a coupon to use on a coal ship. 

I figure I'm getting about 600k coal per year (no spending on dockyards, etc. and usually only getting 2 of the daily containers).  This is roughly enough for 2 T9/T10 coal ships (with coupon) and a unique captain each year (or 2 captains if you use a coupon on a steel ship).  I'm just delaying a few months so that I can make sure I have enough of a coal buffer that I can buy a ship at full price in case one is being pulled from sale.

[--V--]
Members
1,602 posts
14,841 battles

Nothing for Coal in the Armory right now that is worth it for me.  Will just keep collecting til something good comes along.