You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SteffisCute

Anyone watch The Gate?

16 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
660 posts

In a nutshell The Gate is about the modern day JSDF (or SDF) traveling to another world via a gate that appeared in Tokyo, where they encounter a society that is basically an Otaku's dream come true with all sorts of magical beings, dragons, elves, etc etc etc.

A lot of it is centered on the political maneuverings of both the main Empire of that world and its allies/enemies with the SDF and the government of Japan back on Earth trying to lay claim to the other world and holding off various plots from Russia, China, USA etc etc to seize it for themselves.

Its pretty interesting and I have to admit seeing modern militaries mow down Roman Empire era technology soldiers en masse is sort of wicked fun. Plus having to deal with dragons and whatnot is hysterical and one soldier makes the remark "The JSDF has been dealing with giants monsters forever, it's in our blood".

The ONLY thing that is kinda off putting is a lot of the female characters, despite being hundreds of years old, have the bodies of 12-15 year olds and..well...yeah you get the drift even though they don't show anything its implied there are relations going on. Yuck.

[WPORT]
Members
20,591 posts
22,563 battles
17 minutes ago, SteffisCute said:

In a nutshell The Gate is about the modern day JSDF (or SDF) traveling to another world via a gate that appeared in Tokyo, where they encounter a society that is basically an Otaku's dream come true with all sorts of magical beings, dragons, elves, etc etc etc.

A lot of it is centered on the political maneuverings of both the main Empire of that world and its allies/enemies with the SDF and the government of Japan back on Earth trying to lay claim to the other world and holding off various plots from Russia, China, USA etc etc to seize it for themselves.

Its pretty interesting and I have to admit seeing modern militaries mow down Roman Empire era technology soldiers en masse is sort of wicked fun. Plus having to deal with dragons and whatnot is hysterical and one soldier makes the remark "The JSDF has been dealing with giants monsters forever, it's in our blood".

The ONLY thing that is kinda off putting is a lot of the female characters, despite being hundreds of years old, have the bodies of 12-15 year olds and..well...yeah you get the drift even though they don't show anything its implied there are relations going on. Yuck.

Over 30 years ago I saw a faxed & photo-copied cartoon called "Charlie Browned".
Essentially, it was recognizing that the Charles M. Schultz characters were all over 40 years old and trapped in children's bodies, while simultaneously having adult yearnings.
This was before the internet was widely available.  I've yet to see an exact digital reproduction of it surface.

As for the anime' named "Gate", I'd recently seen something advertising it.  As story concepts go, one could do worse, I suppose.  Thanks for the reminder about it.

[RLGN]
Members
19,117 posts
35,137 battles

Have seen the anime, been reading the manga.

Read a few fan fics, (but not one of the more popular ones.)

Like individual characters, but some specific situations are seriously, wth?!? even considering the original creator’s political leanings.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,056 posts
30,833 battles

I watched the anime a while back.  Interesting fantasy + military wanking premise with modern military technology and tactics against a fantasy military.  Showing Cobras, Phantoms, modern main battle tanks, small arms in anime was a cool move to see.

By the time the anime ended, as lopsided as it seemed for JSDF, it started touching upon Earth's politics with nations starting to take a keener interest in what was going on, wanting to exploit the new world.  This is where IMO, things could really get dangerous for Japan.  We all know how Earth's actual colonial empires, nations behaved in terms of grabbing land, exploiting the natives, and most of all, going to war with each other.  An untouched new world with primitive technology and backwards people, with untold riches and resources?  You bet there will be conflict over this.  I'm curious to know if the Gate manga went into this direction.

@Estimated_Prophet The JSDF even had a collab going where they used Gate as a recruiting tool.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,781 posts
20,682 battles

Got the anime in 2019.

Got my Dad hooked on it when on a visit. When he got home, he ordered himself a copy.

Its a good anime, but it also has a few of the usual anime issues.

In this case, one downside is it was only a season of 24 episodes, so it leaves a fairly open ending with no definitive resolution.

As for the Manga, it's listed as still in production in Japan at 19 volumes. Only 2 volumes are listed as being in english, but it also looks like the project has been dropped.

[AK-49]
Members
643 posts
13,853 battles

I thought this was a hoot and a live action adaption could do quite well, I think. Particularly in the west where fish-out-of-water stories are popular.

It struck me as if Stargate and stuck to exploring one world and got involved.

Edited by Aurora_7
  • Cool 1

[ACMPT]
Members
6 posts
4,277 battles

Yeah, is true that there is a lot of females and the only one that is justified enough to be in battles are the military women and the gothic loli god. Still would love to watch a 2nd season.

Members
3,342 posts
3,044 battles

I watched it and this sums it up: 

This is what happens when you cross Civilization 5 with Japanese toptier War Blunder.

There is actually a naval manga, apparently they have an submarine over there(guessing Lelei had something to do with that). Looks like a guided missile destroyer got some dragon kills when the military was fighting for control of Tokyo. 

Edited by black_hull4

[R_N]
Members
176 posts
6,331 battles
On 7/25/2021 at 1:24 AM, Lord_Slayer said:

Got the anime in 2019.

Got my Dad hooked on it when on a visit. When he got home, he ordered himself a copy.

Its a good anime, but it also has a few of the usual anime issues.

In this case, one downside is it was only a season of 24 episodes, so it leaves a fairly open ending with no definitive resolution.

As for the Manga, it's listed as still in production in Japan at 19 volumes. Only 2 volumes are listed as being in english, but it also looks like the project has been dropped.

We will have to wait 20 years like the creator of Akagi manga LOL

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,056 posts
30,833 battles
On 7/28/2022 at 8:16 PM, ElCuervoJones said:

We will have to wait 20 years like the creator of Akagi manga LOL

This is one of the bad things about anime.

American shows will keep on going back to back seasons until the wheels fall off and the plug is pulled.  Anime can be inconsistent.  Some can go on forever.  But some, even successful and well received shows, have these weird years long break between seasons.

Attack on Titan / Shingeki no Kyojin is a well done, great quality anime adaptation of a manga series.  It's only 4 seasons.  S1 aired in 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Attack_on_Titan_episodes

Some shows won't even get that courtesy.  I still remember watching Highschool of the Dead in 2010.  Fan Service galore.  It's only season, I expected more.  I had read the manga and there was way more material.

Hell, in video games, Half Life fans have been waiting on Half Life 3 since 2004.

waiting-for-half-life-3_o_1879381.jpgone-hour-on-this-planet-is-7-years-on-ea

And an article about that wait written up in 2016.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/half-life-3-waiting-for-the-game-that-may-never-come-151679/

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,781 posts
20,682 battles
On 7/30/2022 at 3:43 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This is one of the bad things about anime.

American shows will keep on going back to back seasons until the wheels fall off and the plug is pulled.  Anime can be inconsistent.  Some can go on forever.  But some, even successful and well received shows, have these weird years long break between seasons.

I saw a video on youtube that was discussing Isekai anime, in this instance Overlord.

It sounded like Gate came in at a 'bad' time, where there were alot of Manga/Anime of the Isekai type and there was a bit of pushback. Thus alot were discontinued. Think of it like Hollywood where everyone made an 'Asteroid ending the earth' movie, or later a 'World ends in disaster aka the Mayans were right'. You flood the market and alot of the good ones get swept away with the bad.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,056 posts
30,833 battles
5 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I saw a video on youtube that was discussing Isekai anime, in this instance Overlord.

It sounded like Gate came in at a 'bad' time, where there were alot of Manga/Anime of the Isekai type and there was a bit of pushback. Thus alot were discontinued. Think of it like Hollywood where everyone made an 'Asteroid ending the earth' movie, or later a 'World ends in disaster aka the Mayans were right'. You flood the market and alot of the good ones get swept away with the bad.

It's happening too with Super Hero / Comic Book movies.  Even the once mighty MCU had hit the brick wall.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,874 posts
7,295 battles

This sounds like a variation on the older anime Outbreak Company.  

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,056 posts
30,833 battles

@Murotsu Gate is older, if we want to get technical :Smile_hiding:

In anime form, Outbreak Company is older.  It came out in 2013.  Gate anime came out in 2015.

However, Gate originated as a light novel series beginning in 2006.  Outbreak Company has origins too from light novels, and that started in 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outbreak_Company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gate_(novel_series)

[DHW]
Members
16 posts
7,453 battles

The president of the USA in the anime certainly wished it had. But so did the Russians and the Chinese.