Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Segarion

Proposal: Night battles

7 comments in this topic

[V1-PI]
Members
104 posts
27,658 battles

I recently found out that the metal rackets on the guns of the Swedish destroyers are for flare rockets. I also did remember some armchair section about the battle of Guadalcanal: The Japanese attacked in the night, and used rocket flares to get themselves targets to shoot at.

Wouldn't it be cool, if some ships in the game could be equipped with flare rockets, so we could have night battles? Wargaming would have to program that, and I think it could take place as an extra battleground like the Grand Battles at the moment, or the Halloween events.

• Funny 1

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
841 posts

Don't really see the need for night battles.  Isn't the majority of the player base already playing with their eyes closed? :Smile_trollface:

• Haha 2

[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Members
355 posts
9,264 battles

Operation: Cherry Blossom pioneered night battles and Operation: Dynamo the mechanic as well. As for Illumination rockets, I think most navies stocked Illumination shells for their 6-inch guns and below. Two famous cases of them being used in combat that I recall is CA-30 USS Houston and USS Samuel B. Roberts in their final battles, as they shot their magazines empty. In both cases, the Starshells set their targets a blaze.

• Cool 2

Members
446 posts
6,520 battles

I see why this idea is intriguing and have pondered it before, but unfortunately introducing what is essentially another game mode is bound to unbalance the game.

I expect night battles to be fought at closer ranges than our current day battles due to visibility issues. Even with the best optical technologies, it's safe to say that visibility is higher in daylight than at night. And various countries differed on investment into night vision and their technology level. So all of those must be accounted for when talking about night battles.

Plus, as we all know, certain ships perform far better at closer ranges than longer ranges, like the German battleships for example. On the other hand, having a Shchors fighting at 8 km for the entire match is not going to end well for it. So even more universal stats have to be accounted for.

But I'd agree, having flare shells would be really cool. Maybe not penetrating at all, but they can illuminate straight through a thunderstorm, which we have in-game.

Edited by tyinnow

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
3 hours ago, Segarion said:

I recently found out that the metal rackets on the guns of the Swedish destroyers are for flare rockets. I also did remember some armchair section about the battle of Guadalcanal: The Japanese attacked in the night, and used rocket flares to get themselves targets to shoot at.

Wouldn't it be cool, if some ships in the game could be equipped with flare rockets, so we could have night battles? Wargaming would have to program that, and I think it could take place as an extra battleground like the Grand Battles at the moment, or the Halloween events.

Years ago this was suggested... Problem is.. Its been tried with one of the operations (Cherry Blossoms)... As many pointed out back then, night battles is a good idea *In theory.*

The execution of "night Ops" was not what one expected... So, in the end.. It was more like "I ask for this but I got this" types of reactions...

WG, tried but to make the "experience" meet up to expectation.It was not a good idea, it was more meme/lolz.. Therefor, it was just convenient to dim your PC screen brightness settings.

Edited by Navalpride33

[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Members
355 posts
9,264 battles

A lot has changed since then, game wise. Radar, for one, is a lot more prevalent, and it was never tried with CVs (though historically, only very few CVs could operate at night, and that was later in the war). I think with a little bit of effort, it could work, but that effort would have to come from somewhere, and WG has a few pokers in the fire already. I can't even remember what the effects of night battles were, anyway.

Members
68 posts
830 battles

Similar to when a Typhoon hits the range is greatly reduced for visibility, at least if referring to NavyFields style of nb.