Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

Proposal

15 comments in this topic

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,080 battles

I have a simple item for discussion what if steel ships that are at least two years old are moved to the research bureau? Is this not a good middle ground between competitive players and casual players? The research bureau itself requires a player has a couple of tier 10’s before getting access to it. The price for tier 10 ships in there is at least regrinding lines 3-5 times. I find to be very fair to competitive and casual players alike as it requires effort. Let me know you thoughts below 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,334 posts
23,704 battles

Hmm interesting.... I like it! 

[ARGSY]
Members
31,105 posts
29,413 battles
28 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I have a simple item for discussion what if steel ships that are at least two years old are moved to the research bureau?

IMHO we need to have some ships in this game that you actually have to play for. Steel is the one and only resource you cannot buy directly regardless of how much money you have; even if you whale a dockyard the full nine yards, you have to play through the event to get the steel. 

We have seen two ships so far move from steel to coal - we should have seen a third, and I hope we eventually do, but I can understand WG's reluctance to bring back a smoke and radar ship that would be widely and freely available (Plymouth being steel keeps her rare, and Tiger 59 is both a money ship and very niche). Steel to coal is the better switch for much older ships that aren't moving many units, although I'd move the transfer date out to three or four years rather than two. Your mileage may vary, and that's fine.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Meh 1

[CO-OP]
Members
5,206 posts
43,389 battles

Until we see the Black being sold for coal, the idea of steel ships for other currencies seems dead in the water.  IF the Black does show up, then WG should give ample warning of the change in currencies, so that prospective buyers won't spend steel the day before is gets sold for coal/RPs (4 week notice to coincide with patch drops would be reasonable.)  A 3-4 month period of unavailability would give the last minute steel buyers a chance to play her before the switch would at least give these players some value to their purchase.  Maybe even giving a "c" or "r" suffix to designate that it is a coal or Research Bureau ship rather than steel,.

[USCC]
Members
3,912 posts
19,270 battles
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

The research bureau itself requires a player has a couple of tier 10’s before getting access to it.

Pretty sure any player that can access RB points, can access the RB, and you can get RB points in daily missions.

The problem with the RB is that you can whale though it quite fast.
And as @Ensign_Cthulhu  has pointed out, steel is the one resource that can't be bought, so Steel ships coming back in another resource really needs to be quite high to offset the time spent, to those that bought one with Steel.

But lets be honest, WG is on a mission to make as much bank as possible before the game implodes, so literally nothing would surprise me any more. 
Heck, betcha we see rare ships at auction! Maybe even Steel!

[ARGSY]
Members
31,105 posts
29,413 battles
26 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Until we see the Black being sold for coal, the idea of steel ships for other currencies seems dead in the water. 

*cough cough* Neustrashimy and Flint *cough cough*

Or do you mean, moving forward from where we are?

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Meh 1

[CO-OP]
Members
5,206 posts
43,389 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

*cough cough* Neustrashimy and Flint *cough cough*

Or do you mean, moving forward from where we are?

I mean going forward.  WG said that the three would show up for coal, and only 2 have.  

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,080 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IMHO we need to have some ships in this game that you actually have to play for. Steel is the one and only resource you cannot buy directly regardless of how much money you have; even if you whale a dockyard the full nine yards, you have to play through the event to get the steel. 

We have seen two ships so far move from steel to coal - we should have seen a third, and I hope we eventually do, but I can understand WG's reluctance to bring back a smoke and radar ship that would be widely and freely available (Plymouth being steel keeps her rare, and Tiger 59 is both a money ship and very niche). Steel to coal is the better switch for much older ships that aren't moving many units, although I'd move the transfer date out to three or four years rather than two. Your mileage may vary, and that's fine.

Well it is a good middle ground. It’s not like Wargaming couldn’t up the price to match the steel price on the research bureau.

[RSWF]
Members
434 posts
6,480 battles
26 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

Pretty sure any player that can access RB points, can access the RB, and you can get RB points in daily missions.

You can't access RB points until you have access to the RB.  The RB points that are available for daily missions don't show if you haven't gained access to the RB.  I finish the dailies to get the free port slots/signals each month, but the missions that give RB points aren't there.  So you need the 5 TT T10 ships before you get them from dailies. 

There is one exception I'm aware of - one of the dockyards awarded RB points for the missions that you purchased, which I understand gave RB access without getting 5 TT T10's.  I think that only happened once (so far anyway).

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,116 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Actually...no matter how much of a potential whale a new player is you can't just convert XP to FXP w/out XP to convert so there is a bit of playing required to build up the XP in the 1st place...even if you just bought your way into the RB through the dockyard you still need to have ground out at least 1 line to T10.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[ARGSY]
Members
31,105 posts
29,413 battles
8 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Actually...no matter how much of a potential whale a new player is you can't just convert XP to FXP w/out XP to convert

There are premium containers which can drop FXP and coal. Technically, a deep enough pocket could get you five tech-tree lines to open RB access, and further spending with line resets would give you all the RB, coal and FXP ships to boot.

I shudder to think what it would cost, but the theoretical possibility does exist.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[USCC]
Members
3,912 posts
19,270 battles

@Bomont, I stand corrected, I had no idea that RB points didn't drop for everyone. Cheers!

And back to the topic, I do believe you can convert commander XP to free XP with doubloons,
and you can purchase 10 point captains all day long, then dismiss them for doubloons, they convert to 210,000 xp a pop. 
Wouldn't take long to have millions of free xp to whale your way a few tier X's.

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,116 battles
47 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There are premium containers which can drop FXP and coal. Technically, a deep enough pocket could get you five tech-tree lines to open RB access, and further spending with line resets would give you all the RB, coal and FXP ships to boot.

I shudder to think what it would cost, but the theoretical possibility does exist.

Only need 1 line & a dockyard...just keep resetting that 1 line over & over (when you reset the line all of the XP from that line goes to the T1 ship to be converted...you don't lose any XP when you reset a line)...& I didn't think about this route:

19 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

@Bomont, I stand corrected, I had no idea that RB points didn't drop for everyone. Cheers!

And back to the topic, I do believe you can convert commander XP to free XP with doubloons,
and you can purchase 10 point captains all day long, then dismiss them for doubloons, they convert to 210,000 xp a pop. 
Wouldn't take long to have millions of free xp to whale your way a few tier X's.

Guess you don't ever need to play a game to get all the RB ships...unless you go the dockyard route...

You still need to grind at least the 1st stage out to earn the 1st set of RB points to activate the RB...then convert enough ECXP to get 1 line finished & just reset that line as many times as needed to get all the ships...

Whaaaaaale Iiiiiii'll be.

[USCC]
Members
3,912 posts
19,270 battles
8 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Only need 1 line & a dockyard...just keep resetting that 1 line over & over (when you reset the line all of the XP from that line goes to the T1 ship to be converted...you don't lose any XP when you reset a line)...& I didn't think about this route:

Guess you don't ever need to play a game to get all the RB ships...unless you go the dockyard route...

You still need to grind at least the 1st stage out to earn the 1st set of RB points to activate the RB...then convert enough ECXP to get 1 line finished & just reset that line as many times as needed to get all the ships...

Whaaaaaale Iiiiiii'll be.

Although, I'm pretty sure a "brand new player" can't do anything until they reach a certain level before they have access to the armory, so there is that LOL 

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,116 battles
1 minute ago, SpudZero said:

Although, I'm pretty sure a "brand new player" can't do anything until they reach a certain level before they have access to the armory, so there is that LOL 

Yeah...fortunately there is that little roadblock in the way.