You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RoentgenMD

T5 EU BB ... Viribus Unitis --- MYSTERY GUNS!

16 comments in this topic

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,181 battles

Hi,

As the saying goes, A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS... so here's a picture!

What are these mystery guns?

The Viribus Unitis could certainly use a few extra SOMETHING...

Untitled.png

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
6 minutes ago, Dr_Seadog said:

Hi,

As the saying goes, A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS... so here's a picture!

What are these mystery guns?

The Viribus Unitis could certainly use a few extra SOMETHING...

Untitled.png

Question.... Why not use the Camera mod feature (located on the left of the descriptor of ordnance), to figure out what those guns will highlight ?

• Cool 2

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,181 battles

Great question :Smile_smile:  - the answer is, THOSE 12x DECK GUNS AREN'T HIGHLIGHTED, and aren't listed on the armament section!

Edited by Dr_Seadog

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,181 battles

Buff the VU! Give her some more (minimal) secondary bite.

Also, shouldn't 76mm be able to provide a AA shell explosion aura?

[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles

Might be remembering wrong but I thought those guns were 70mm, which is below WGs limits for secondaries, No real reason WG couldn't magically make them AA guns though. If only the ship was Russian,,,

• Cool 1

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,181 battles

OK, makes sense if 70mm and there's a cutoff... do you know what that size is? 

I would think they should be good for AA and with some shell explosions - since they appear identical to the mounts on the turrets, just levelled instead of elevated in the model, but I imagine that would be easily fixed.

I mean, Hungary was part of the Eastern Bloc for some time, wasn't it? Come on WeeGee! :)

[HMN]
Members
20 posts
11,999 battles

The Viribus Unitis was armed with 14 x66mm L/18 quick firing  and 4x 66mm L/18 quick-firing AA guns, they don't fit in with wargameing

these are the AA guns

Wargameing needs to either make these duel or down rank the ship so it doesn't face t6 CVs

Edited by vejae

[LOIN]
Supertester
868 posts
On 7/22/2021 at 4:07 PM, Dr_Seadog said:

OK, makes sense if 70mm and there's a cutoff... do you know what that size is? 

I would think they should be good for AA and with some shell explosions - since they appear identical to the mounts on the turrets, just levelled instead of elevated in the model, but I imagine that would be easily fixed.

I mean, Hungary was part of the Eastern Bloc for some time, wasn't it? Come on WeeGee! :)

The Tegetthoff Class (AKA Viribus Unitis) had a tertiary armament 15 7cm Skoda L50 K10 guns, which means it has 15 70mm guns. Therefore Sabot is correct, they are indeed 70mm guns or 2.7 inch (3 inch). 70mm is below what WG considers as a secondery or tertiary armament.

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,181 battles

It's kindof a shame - don't you think 15 guns similar in caliber to, say, a Sherman Tank's main gun, could do a number on a ship? Even if just the superstructure.

Submarines would surface and sink a transport ship with just the 80-90mm deck gun. ONE gun.

• Cool 1

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles
On 11/24/2021 at 11:46 PM, Dr_Seadog said:

It's kindof a shame - don't you think 15 guns similar in caliber to, say, a Sherman Tank's main gun, could do a number on a ship? Even if just the superstructure.

Submarines would surface and sink a transport ship with just the 80-90mm deck gun. ONE gun.

I completely agree of course; however I imagine from their point of view it's way too much work to adjust existing gunnery parameters for just one anomalous gun class, on one ship. Mind you, this unique ship deserves it.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

Members
20 posts
6,273 battles

How to fix the Viribus Unitis:

The VU can be balanced at Tier 5 or simply downgraded as is to Tier4.

To balance at tier 5:

1) Raise main gun range to 16.3-16.4km --> keep accuracy and detectibility the same (Gulio Caesar has 16.4kms range)

2) Increase secondaries range to 4.7-4.9kms --> they are 150mm after all and the 120mm on Guilo caesar do 4.5kms!

3) Raise AA DMG to 50 (from 10) and increase the range to 3.5kms from 3. --> They are 70mm after all, and realistically the 12-18 quick firing 2.6-2.8" (66-70mm)  guns would likely have had their mounts changed to allow for AA firing like the existing 3-4 66mm AA guns (since they were essentially the same Skoda K10 guns on different mounts) so you 'd have nearly 18 in total dopin 2.5 dmg each for 45 total, plus the machine guns gives 45 dmg at 3.5kms and 50 close-in!

•  the Gulio Caesar  has a range of 4.6kms with 30- 100mm AAs and 134 dmg:
  • the Imperator Nikolai I with 9 dmg counts its 4x 7.62mm machine guns as AA, and a range of 3km (The VU had 2x  8-millimeter (0.31 in) Schwarzlose M.07/12 7 on top of rangefinders);
  • and even the Cavour has 111dmg AA with 40-76mm AA.

This would make the AA worse than the two tier 5 Italians, but have a useable range between the two.

4) As a unique country perk give her 3x 2min 15% accel and max speed consumable to account for the fact she carried ~260 tonnes fuel oil which she could spray on coal to increase burn rate! --> this would be harmless as it would only increase top speed to like 23knts and give her slightly better accel and rudder shift!

5) Raise HP pool by exactly one Shell Dmg of worst Shell at tier 7? 1050?

My opinion, otherwise she is fine... but facing tier 6-7 regularly she needs to above, especially against CVs...

My 2 cents as a longtime VU player

• Cool 1

[P_P]
Members
500 posts
20 minutes ago, Keckers said:

How to fix the Viribus Unitis:

The VU can be balanced at Tier 5 or simply downgraded as is to Tier4.

To balance at tier 5:

1) Raise main gun range to 16.3-16.4km --> keep accuracy and detectibility the same (Gulio Caesar has 16.4kms range)

2) Increase secondaries range to 4.7-4.9kms --> they are 150mm after all and the 120mm on Guilo caesar do 4.5kms!

3) Raise AA DMG to 50 (from 10) and increase the range to 3.5kms from 3. --> They are 70mm after all, and realistically the 12-18 quick firing 2.6-2.8" (66-70mm)  guns would likely have had their mounts changed to allow for AA firing like the existing 3-4 66mm AA guns (since they were essentially the same Skoda K10 guns on different mounts) so you 'd have nearly 18 in total dopin 2.5 dmg each for 45 total, plus the machine guns gives 45 dmg at 3.5kms and 50 close-in!

•  the Gulio Caesar  has a range of 4.6kms with 30- 100mm AAs and 134 dmg:
  • the Imperator Nikolai I with 9 dmg counts its 4x 7.62mm machine guns as AA, and a range of 3km (The VU had 2x  8-millimeter (0.31 in) Schwarzlose M.07/12 7 on top of rangefinders);
  • and even the Cavour has 111dmg AA with 40-76mm AA.

This would make the AA worse than the two tier 5 Italians, but have a useable range between the two.

4) As a unique country perk give her 3x 2min 15% accel and max speed consumable to account for the fact she carried ~260 tonnes fuel oil which she could spray on coal to increase burn rate! --> this would be harmless as it would only increase top speed to like 23knts and give her slightly better accel and rudder shift!

5) Raise HP pool by exactly one Shell Dmg of worst Shell at tier 7? 1050?

My opinion, otherwise she is fine... but facing tier 6-7 regularly she needs to above, especially against CVs...

My 2 cents as a longtime VU player

i sorta have to disagree about making a ship better to cope with higher tiers. i mean where would that end? there is more then 1 premium that could be "adjusted" to better handle 2 tiers up, but that would just make them far to powerful in their own tier.

and its not like it doesn't already have its plus sides.

The challenge is 1/2 the fun.

i mean, i refuse to use flags at lower tiers and try to keep my captains low skilled, though i still use camo (ship has to look cool right?)

seal clubbing can be fun sometimes (mostly while really drunk), but it gets old eventually.

Members
20 posts
6,273 battles
48 minutes ago, Retarie said:

i sorta have to disagree about making a ship better to cope with higher tiers. i mean where would that end? there is more then 1 premium that could be "adjusted" to better handle 2 tiers up, but that would just make them far to powerful in their own tier.

and its not like it doesn't already have its plus sides.

The challenge is 1/2 the fun.

i mean, i refuse to use flags at lower tiers and try to keep my captains low skilled, though i still use camo (ship has to look cool right?)

seal clubbing can be fun sometimes (mostly while really drunk), but it gets old eventually.

Actually the slight changes to 2ndaries and AA would make it acceptable at tier 5....the extra 1 shell HP ~1050 would be for tiers 6-7....

48 minutes ago, Retarie said:

Actually the slight changes to 2ndaries and AA would make it acceptable at tier 5....the extra 1 shell HP ~1050 would be for tiers 6-7....

Her Hp would still be lowest of tier 5 BB as would her AA...I am suggesting subtle changes to make her acceptable without being better than any other tier 5 BB.

As it stands VU is unique and unreliable...either a super hitter or a nothingburger, at that is regardless of tier she plays... I would rather she remain tier 5...not afan of seal clubbing...

And the speed boost would be a little unique to A-H thing...

My 2 cents

Edited by Keckers
double post

[P_P]
Members
500 posts
7 minutes ago, Keckers said:

As it stands VU is unique and unreliable...either a super hitter or a nothingburger, at that is regardless of tier she plays... I would rather she remain tier 5...not afan of seal clubbing...

And the speed boost would be a little unique to A-H thing...

My 2 cents

i admit the speed boost does sound like it would be pretty fun.

but i think adjusting the AA and secondary's would be adding  more defense, or rounding out its defense

Maybe reducing its HE shell "Immunity" to compensate would work? tho i don't like that idea very much.

Members
20 posts
6,273 battles
14 minutes ago, Retarie said:

i admit the speed boost does sound like it would be pretty fun.

but i think adjusting the AA and secondary's would be adding  more defense, or rounding out its defense

Maybe reducing its HE shell "Immunity" to compensate would work? tho i don't like that idea very much.

Hmm HE shell immunity...I still catch fire quite a bit.

A 50Dmg AA is still half of the cavour...10 is a joke, like may as well be 0.

The secondaries are to acknowledge that 150mm is larger calibre than 120mm on the italians and are purely for comparative reasons.

Maybe drop the main battery range increase (although why would GC have a longer range?) but tweak AA and secondaries and add a silly speed boost...

Either way I love VU, just a few small tweaks would balance her for tier 5 and make her slightly more consistent...

• Cool 2