Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

How visible are Skane torps?

4 comments in this topic

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

These torps are 85 knot ballistic missiles yet every ship seems to have godlike perception as to where they are and 90% of the time they are dodged. Last ranked game I follow a Colorado who is shooting at our Hood, at 7k I fire off 6 torps, he automatically stops and takes perfect evasive action avoiding them all. Reload and fire at a Scharnhorst, he's also shooting at another ship and paying no attention, but as soon as they get within 6k he quickly changes direction and evades all but one (which does a comical 3k damage..). This happens all the time, they just seem easily avoided. All to often I have to switch to the ineffective guns..

Yet I jump into a Benson or Shiratsuyu and despite the much slower torps they seem to hit 5x as much.

Members
676 posts
32 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

These torps are 85 knot ballistic missiles yet every ship seems to have godlike perception as to where they are and 90% of the time they are dodged. Last ranked game I follow a Colorado who is shooting at our Hood, at 7k I fire off 6 torps, he automatically stops and takes perfect evasive action avoiding them all. Reload and fire at a Scharnhorst, he's also shooting at another ship and paying no attention, but as soon as they get within 6k he quickly changes direction and evades all but one (which does a comical 3k damage..). This happens all the time, they just seem easily avoided. All to often I have to switch to the ineffective guns..

Yet I jump into a Benson or Shiratsuyu and despite the much slower torps they seem to hit 5x as much.

1.6 km base detection range for the Skane.  The range does not include the Commanders skill to increase detection range.

Compared too,

Benson Torps:  1.1 km

Shiratsuyu Torps:  Stock Torps: 1.5 km.  Upgraded: 1.6 km.

The "Torpedo Lookout System" will give the ship the ability to detect all torps at 1.8km.  The Commander skill will give a 25% buff with or without the TLS.  I'm not sure if they stack.

Hydro consumable will also let them detect the torpedo's farther out.  You mentioned the Scharnhorst which has hydro with a range of 6km(?).  It can spot torpedo's 6km out if its active.

The past couple of weeks have been a bit frustrating when it comes down to ships and torpedo's.  I've had several instances where the VERY MOMENT I fire torps and they hit the water, the enemy ship will immediately slow down, speed up, or turn.  As if the player was notified that torps were just fired at their ship.  This is after observing them for a solid 30-45 secs.  It's happened numerous times that goes beyond coincidence.   I'm not dropping target the entire time.  As far as I know "Incoming Fire Alert" skill does not include torpedo's, unless there is a bug or glitch.  I'm not sure if other players have observed this.

Edited by HeadSplit120
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,914 posts
8,490 battles
1 hour ago, HeadSplit120 said:

1.6 km base detection range for the Skane.  The range does not include the Commanders skill to increase detection range.

Compared too,

Benson Torps:  1.1 km

Shiratsuyu Torps:  Stock Torps: 1.5 km.  Upgraded: 1.6 km.

The "Torpedo Lookout System" will give the ship the ability to detect all torps at 1.8km.  The Commander skill will give a 25% buff with or without the TLS.  I'm not sure if they stack.

Hydro consumable will also let them detect the torpedo's farther out.  You mentioned the Scharnhorst which has hydro with a range of 6km(?).  It can spot torpedo's 6km out if its active.

The past couple of weeks have been a bit frustrating when it comes down to ships and torpedo's.  I've had several instances where the VERY MOMENT I fire torps and they hit the water, the enemy ship will immediately slow down, speed up, or turn.  As if the player was notified that torps were just fired at their ship.  This is after observing them for a solid 30-45 secs.  It's happened numerous times that goes beyond coincidence.   I'm not dropping target the entire time.  As far as I know "Incoming Fire Alert" skill does not include torpedo's, unless there is a bug or glitch.  I'm not sure if other players have observed this.

That’s pretty normal behavior, one should not blindly sail straight while detected for extended periods of time. I mean sure it can be fun dropping a full load into an inattentive BB but once you start fighting decent players they will start doing more preemptive dodging. Especially if they haven’t fired for awhile and are now suddenly lit, that’s basically a DD around me alarm.

Members
1,872 posts
2 hours ago, HeadSplit120 said:

As if the player was notified that torps were just fired at their ship.  This is after observing them for a solid 30-45 secs.  It's happened numerous times that goes beyond coincidence.   I'm not dropping target the entire time.  As far as I know "Incoming Fire Alert" skill does not include torpedo's, unless there is a bug or glitch.  I'm not sure if other players have observed this.

Depending on how you drop them, the Priority Target indicator can be used as a TIW warning indicator. Basically, if you lock on the target with guns they see the number (1,2,3,.. etc.) of people, often in the case of a DD stalking them only 1. Then, if you switch to torpedoes the number drops to 0, or just detected, since you are not targeting them with the main battery.

In essence, when you see your PT indicator going from 1 to 0, then back to 1 after about 2-3s you know you have been torpedoed right then. Plus, once you have seen a rack of torps going by you can usually start a mental timer (just use your reloads or the ingame clock) to pretty much estimate the time until the next launch can occur.

It isn't magic, just that if you try and pay attention as well look up a trick or two, your torpedo sixth sense can become pretty solid.