You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OttoVonPrien

don't let the fun police steal the ribbons in Naval Battles

34 comments in this topic

[KMS]
Beta Testers
384 posts
22,925 battles

happy players play more,   spend more

relating this to Naval battles we are now into our 3rd week in row for xp

, before that we only had one week for ribbons,  if i remember correctly damage week was short changed also, ON ribbon week I noticed everyone using all their trys and having much more fun, I know i did,  In ribbon weeks the ideal ship mix is a  little different, Damage weeks are fun also. not the same old same old bore of xp weeks

XP weeks are a pain and this last week jumping from 300 to 1050 just made it worse. Most people play this game to have fun, Ribbons are fun, damage is fun, XP is work AND a lot of luck depends on teammates outside your control.  It would be much better for everyone including WG if Ribbon and damage weeks were not shortchanged.

Before the bashers come out of of their holes and caves,    (if they bother to read this far before bashing)

for Naval Battles MY CLAN IS # 6 WORLD  and has been # 1 ON NA SERVER (with the exception of a couple of weeks) for the last 2+ years

Good clans are going to do well whatever the mode, but let us have some fun doing it. Gives us ribbons and damage weeks a few times in a row before having to grind xp weeks

Is a few weeks of fun between the pain too much to ask?.

Players having fun,  play more, People playing more spend more, Players are happy, WG is happy

PS

the down side of course is Chief Hyde of the Fun Police does not like people having fun and will look else ware to do his dirty work.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,898 posts
7,848 battles

I agree that Ribbons and Damage are funner.  But where do you see naval battle rankings ?

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles

The problem I see is when it is XP, you just play regularly. But when it is ribbons/damage weird sh!t starts happening in the matches, winning or losing becomes secondary to clearing the bar and you start seeing more frequent stupid plays. 

[KMS]
Beta Testers
384 posts
22,925 battles
6 minutes ago, eviltane said:

I agree that Ribbons and Damage are funner.  But where do you see naval battle rankings ?

go to the port naval battles page and at the top of the page click clan ratings

you will get high crew with an arrow High crew are clans 101-125

click on the arrow and you can see the higher groups-

-the top 25 are in "the Last Stand" group-- there you will see KMS listed as no6

• Cool 1

[KMS]
Beta Testers
384 posts
22,925 battles
Just now, ArIskandir said:

The problem I see is when it is XP, you just play regularly. But when it is ribbons/damage weird sh!t starts happening in the matches, winning or losing becomes secondary to clearing the bar and you start seeing more frequent stupid plays. 

to misquote the Bible "stupid players are with us always" no matter what the mode

No matter what the mode my clan holds ranking equally we win against the clans below us and lose to the top Russian clans

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

i played NB for damage and ribbons weeks, then they doubled down on basexp, and i have more or less stopped playing altogether, but i do login for the daily login reward...

[KMS]
Beta Testers
384 posts
22,925 battles
8 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i played NB for damage and ribbons weeks, then they doubled down on basexp, and i have more or less stopped playing altogether, but i do login for the daily login reward...

he makes my point,  believe it or not a lot of people play for fun and quit if they are not having it

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,296 battles
6 minutes ago, OttoVonPrien said:

he makes my point,  believe it or not a lot of people play for fun and quit if they are not having it

My Clan is made up mostly of PVE players. When the tasks for NB are not BXP related we do very well (usually win) but when it is BXP and it starts at 300 and jumps to 900-1000+ it kills any chance we have and also the fun as you talk of. Lots of our clan members don't even get a chance to participate as the 300 stars go fast and then when the 2nd is 1000+ why bother. I usually wind up with attempts left over.

I seem to recall it used to be like 300, 500, 750, 900, etc... for BXP and at least we could do more than the 1st level and be out of it. At least go back to that vs such a massive jump between the 1st and 2nd star. 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[PTRGT]
Members
508 posts
78,230 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

My Clan is made up mostly of PVE players. When the tasks for NB are not BXP related we do very well (usually win) but when it is BXP and it starts at 300 and jumps to 900-1000+ it kills any chance we have and also the fun as you talk of. Lots of our clan members don't even get a chance to participate as the 300 stars go fast and then when the 2nd is 1000+ why bother. I usually wind up with attempts left over.

Pretty much same for our Clan. Last week for that base XP jump for the next level we only had 1 member other than me to even both to play it....

[TORCH]
Members
829 posts
8,354 battles

It is really annoying to play well yet get nothing for being on an unlucky string of horrible weekend potato type teams...Fortunately I managed a 2k and 1.7k game in losses ....but I also had some pretty good games go entirely to waste...It should be more about how well you played than how lucky / unlucky you were...

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
2,307 posts
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Frequent stupid plays is all I do.
Who gives a crap about winning? I need to start 70 floods because that's the mission!
And there's 'always' missions.
I don't like it, but you guys love it! That's why it's there!
The closest I get to normal is leveling ships in modes like Ranked and Grand.
Even then you guys get mad at me because A. I brought a stock ship with a 3 point captain,
or B. I'm farming damage to top the leaderboard, so I don't have time to handhold
the team members, who are just going to die early and blame the team anyway.

And since I've been brainwashed with this crap, yeah, ribbons are more fun,
and you can go further in co-op than the minimum 1050 base xp.

(Btw, Been on the same clan for 2 years, and I just learned about Naval Battles 3 weeks ago.)

• Cool 1

[OGF]
Members
463 posts
9,764 battles

I've never seen anyone say they're happy to see BXP Naval Battles.  I presume some quantity of people might like them, but I've never seen em.  I absolutely loathe the BXP ones, twice as much now that extra tries just prolongs the length of suffering while I do my duty for the clan.  I could live with them if they were infrequent, but instead they're the most common type.  

Having said that, and acknowledging the theoretical people out there who might love to see BXP come up, I consider myself fortunate to be in a pretty active clan.  We're almost topped up on members, we managed three teams fielded in clan battles last night with only occassional mercs, and it's a good group of players.  But even still, there is a noticeable participation drop for BXP NB.  I bring this up because while it's relatively easy for my clan to get people together to do stuff (Thank You, WG, for bringing div stars back, those are fun) I know there are a good number of clans which are either smaller or don't have such robust participation as a rule.  If even our participation drops, BXP is definitely not doing those clans any favours by discouraging additional participation.  For the love of god, WG, please just give us more fun stuff to do as clans and stop throwing up roadblocks to fun.

Edited by buglips
  • Thanks 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
23 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Who gives a crap about winning? I need to start 70 floods because that's the mission!
Even then you guys get mad at me because A. I brought a stock ship with a 3 point captain,
or B. I'm farming damage to top the leaderboard, so I don't have time to handhold

(Btw, Been on the same clan for 2 years, and I just learned about Naval Battles 3 weeks ago.)

Heh I only discovered NB this spring, and yes.. primarily a pve player I was thrilled to learn I could take part in it.  The first 2 weeks I tried it were ribbons, i loved it, it added something to the game, added some incentive to play.. then came the bxp weeks...

[OIL-1]
Members
2,307 posts
2 minutes ago, SKurj said:

Heh I only discovered NB this spring, and yes.. primarily a pve player I was thrilled to learn I could take part in it.  The first 2 weeks I tried it were ribbons, i loved it, it added something to the game, added some incentive to play.. then came the bxp weeks...

I looked at it over a year ago, thought it was like clan wars and we all have to show up
at the same time or something. Clan leader mentioned it 3 weeks ago, and I saw we'd
been earning oil for at least 18 months and I knew nothing about it. lol.

Told the clan leader to kick the players who haven't been here in 3 years,
and now we only need 54k base to qualify instead of 72k.

When I saw those ribbons I thought I'd been missing out on all kinds of cool
competitions, but it looks like it wasn't that good.

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles
7 minutes ago, buglips said:

I've never seen anyone say they're happy to see BXP Naval Battles.  I presume some quantity of people might like them, but I've never seen em. 

Hey hello, nice to meet you.

31 minutes ago, z9_ said:

I don't care if you grind stuff in Ranked or just are not really good at the game, it's OK. But when people just willingly suicide to "farm more ribbons" or keeps firing HE to flat broadsides because they are "farming fires", or just yolo in front the whole enemy team because they need "spot ribbons". It just makes me unlog from the game, they might had been having "fun", I just can't ... maybe it's because I hate Adam Sandler's movies, I'm unable to laugh at deliberated stupidity.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[OIL-1]
Members
2,307 posts
3 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I hate Adam Sandler

I thought I was the only one who hated Adam Sandler. I wonder how many more of us there are?

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,737 posts
37,503 battles

Another one here, can't abide the man.

As to the Naval Battles and base XP... I boycotted this week and probably will whenever base XP comes up, too much of a soul sucker.

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles
10 minutes ago, Efros said:

As to the Naval Battles and base XP... I boycotted this week and probably will whenever base XP comes up, too much of a soul sucker.

I know BXP isn't fair on PvE mains. Ribbons/damage is probably more fair for all involved. I just prefer BXP, and don't like the "side effects" of ribbon/damage farming in PvP. Having said that, I agree for variety purposes, other metrics should be more or as least as common as BXP.

Members
5,055 posts
14,302 battles

I always play Naval Battles regardless, even though that's the only thing my clan does. What I'd like to know is why the random numbers for each star? Why change the star-earning values all the time? One time it's 300 BXP, then 1,050 BXP. The next time it's 300 BXP and 800 BXP. I mean... why the shuffle.

Members
68 posts
830 battles

I find myself guilty of ribbon hunting in PVE matches especially on a CV, need rockets ribbons, torpedo be danged, spot every ship, place fighters to kill things not help team mates etc.  

And as US CA I try and get my nb in early, because when Clan has several Atlanta very hard to compete against

Edited by Cinderbox

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles
3 hours ago, eviltane said:

It's one of the menus in the Clan section of your Port.
View "my" ranking or my Clan's rank, I think is the section of the menu page to click on, while on the Naval Battles page.
I'm winging this post off the top of my head, so double-checking may be necessary.

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles
2 hours ago, z9_ said:

I heard Kelsey Grammer's voice in my head while reading this.  :-)

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[OGF]
Members
463 posts
9,764 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Hey hello, nice to meet you.

Hello!  I knew there had to be at least one person out there!  

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I dont worry about it.

We win some lose some. But we get something out of it in the end. So its a non issue. With one exception.

Going straight from 300 xp to 1050 XP for a ship etc pretty much locked out anyone from running it in Coop. Now they have to do random which takes longer and generate less stars in a period of time playing. So the overall star income is less as is the chance for winning.

What with the butchered two CV CB season pending next update and so forth, our clan cannot and will not be bothered with them. We will play the way we wish to individually. But not in CB or any of those modes.

Over the weekened I did know that NB was enabled however played normally. Got a few stars as normal. Nothing fancy.

The only time NB becomes very popular is when they run Damage amounts in particular or Ribbons count. Then you will see the entire clan particpating and records set. However the last three runs of NB on just plain XP 300 and up.... MEH. We cannot be bothered.

• Thanks 1