Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Patton5150

New changes to bot AI in next patch

69 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,080 posts
60,239 battles

Updated the AI of bots

• They can now adjust their speed to avoid torpedoes.
  • Reduced the likelihood of bots colliding with islands in Training and Co-op battles, as well as in Operations.
  • In Co-op battles, bots will try to change their course if there's a risk of colliding with other ships, rather than lower their speed or move astern.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-0106-dutch-cruisers-part-1/

• Cool 1

[OGF]
Members
463 posts
9,764 battles

That last line doesn't say if it's for friendlies, enemies, or in general - but if it is in general it will probably make for good opportunities for BB drive-bys.  The reds usually don't get clever when I go for one of those, but occassionally you'll have a Botsmarck that wants to be a hero and decides to ram.  

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,291 battles
2 hours ago, Patton5150 said:

They can now adjust their speed to avoid torpedoes.

LOL like they needed help dodging torps. :Smile_facepalm::Smile_veryhappy:

Reduced the likelihood of bots colliding with islands in Training and Co-op battles, as well as in Operations.

Good thing

In Co-op battles, bots will try to change their course if there's a risk of colliding with other ships, rather than lower their speed or move astern.

Good thing but I will believe it when I don't see it (happen). :fish_nerv:

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
31,077 posts
29,316 battles
3 hours ago, Patton5150 said:

They can now adjust their speed to avoid torpedoes.

You mean they weren't doing this already? I always felt that they were.

3 hours ago, Patton5150 said:

bots will try to change their course if there's a risk of colliding with other ships,

I'm assuming this relates to friendlies.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

we'll see, it would be awesome if the bots of both sides don't just run into each other in the middle of the map like usual.

• Cool 2

[CO-OP]
Members
3,734 posts
37,494 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The red bots would get themselves into traffic jams when they would approach collision, backup, go forward, backup, ad infinitum.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[ARGSY]
Members
31,077 posts
29,316 battles
28 minutes ago, Efros said:

The red bots would get themselves into traffic jams when they would approach collision, backup, go forward, backup, ad infinitum.

Still relates to "friendlies" as the red bots are, after all, each other's allies.

• Boring 1

[RVNHQ]
Members
823 posts
16,642 battles

I feel they only change Co-op to annoy the people who still play it frequently.

Also the bots' ability to adjust their speed is hilariously bad. They stop like a deer in the headlights the moment you switch to torpedoes.

Personally I'd prefer it if they left well enough alone.

toasterAI.PNG

Edited by Beleaf_
  • Cool 3

[CUDA]
Members
1,449 posts
13,952 battles

Yesterday I was treated to this. Hiding in a Benson waiting for the Jean Bart to come around the end of an island so I could torpedo it from 1 km, it slowed down to a stop instead and sat there, behind a sand spit, pointing its guns at me.  I was pointed the wrong direction to go around in front of it so I went full ahead behind the island and someone else killed it.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,734 posts
37,494 battles

The bots are like kids with a new toy just now, speed juking all the time. Their aim also seems to be a bit off.

[OGF]
Members
463 posts
9,764 battles

Well... the fix to stop em running into islands didn't work.  My div saw more aground bots today than ever.  And whatever's going on with their ship-to-ship collision they seem to have a tendency to get stuck together as blobs.  DDs seem a fair bit friskier, would probably be extremely annoying if we still had the old team damage system.    

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,291 battles

OMG they are either zigging and zagging like they are drunk or they sit/barely move. :fish_palm:

[CO-OP]
Members
3,734 posts
37,494 battles

Thinking of attaching a Barn Door to a boat and taking that out see if they can hit it. 

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts

I played Henri earlier. I spot a bot (also a Henri), and then shoot HE. It caused fire, but the bot did not immediately put it out. That bot was still at 100% hp and no one was shooting at it except me. It was the first time I saw a bot with that very interesting behavior.

I also observed what @Efros has mentioned earlier: the bots adjust their speeds much more frequently now.

On a different note...it would also be interesting if the AI for DDs in Co-op is the same as the one used in Narai, particularly on the Nicholas (guarding the Transport Ships; very accurate guns and keeps on moving) and the Campbeltown.

[_PVE_]
Members
273 posts
27,667 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

OMG they are either zigging and zagging like they are drunk or they sit/barely move. :fish_palm:

What I see as well played at least 30 games today in coop dds were stopping sitting still less yolo rams though.Also noticed friendly bots hanging back or behind islands not charging in.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,734 posts
37,494 battles

Friendly bots are still ramming though, I took a kill away from a friendly DD that was about to ram, so it went off and rammed the supporting cruiser.

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
1,879 posts
51,826 battles

They made it easier to hit the bots with torp. Just target a bot BB he will slow down so all you have to do is aim behind your aim point.

One game I found 3 BBs just sitting there in a line not moving. 3 kills for the Nickolas.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
672 posts
27,258 battles
4 hours ago, buglips said:

And whatever's going on with their ship-to-ship collision they seem to have a tendency to get stuck together as blobs.   

This brand new breed,  the Yamato breed is infatuated with the Midway breed.   And will not stop sniffing its butt!

They spent 9mins at the bottom of the map,  before we won on capture points.

Spoiler

bots1.thumb.png.2181d9023dacca2f47988fef0b925d13.png

bots2.thumb.png.c5a66509bb7babced2736053635b9655.png

bots3.thumb.png.b86f51cd8db224da67ba3a64f37a5405.png

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,788 posts
3 hours ago, cecill611 said:

They made it easier to hit the bots with torp. Just target a bot BB he will slow down so all you have to do is aim behind your aim point.

One game I found 3 BBs just sitting there in a line not moving. 3 kills for the Nickolas.

Good to know because using the aim point from 1.8 km away they stopped dead & my Yolo Emilio's 75 knot torps went ahead of them.

[BFL]
Members
36 posts

They broke them with last patch, a Cossack spend 2 min shooting at my Minnesota and didn't hit me once. Their aim is far off, not to mention they crawl at best half speed

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,498 posts
8,467 battles
4 minutes ago, Henut said:

They broke them with last patch, a Cossack spend 2 min shooting at my Minnesota and didn't hit me once. Their aim is far off, not to mention they crawl at best half speed

Yea, they are all drunk. They just stop and sit there for no apparent reason. One turned around at spawn and headed for the back border. Finally turned around and came back but wth? Not liking these new bots.

[WOLFG]
Members
17,120 posts
20,505 battles
On 7/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, Efros said:

6 hours ago, Efros said:

Thinking of attaching a Barn Door to a boat and taking that out see if they can hit it. 

They are soooo :etc_swear:ing bad.  

So many 1 bot still alive games. I think I averaged 5:30 per game today.  If it wasn't for chasing a CV down twice (where someone died), it probably would have been 5 minutes.

Most games how you spawned determined how you did.  If the bots showed up, high scores.  If not, bottom of the barrel.

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
646 posts
1 hour ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

Yea, they are all drunk. They just stop and sit there for no apparent reason. One turned around at spawn and headed for the back border. Finally turned around and came back but wth? Not liking these new bots.

First it was Operations, now they've shifted their efforts to pushing people out of COOP... /tinfoilhat

[WOLFG]
Members
80 posts
7,622 battles

These changes are pretty bad.  I've seen these bots stop for no reason and decide to hump islands. 

[WOLFG]
Members
17,120 posts
20,505 battles
2 minutes ago, Godeg said:

These changes are pretty bad.  I've seen these bots stop for no reason and decide to hump islands. 

I shot so many broadside ships off islands today (Russian BBs are the best).