You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

I noticed a change to containers in the patch notes

19 comments in this topic

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,171 posts
9,064 battles
  • In Update 0.10.5, the mechanic that determines the contents of containers was changed—this is now determined at the point in time when the container is opened. This will prevent situations where players could receive a unique item for the second time if the container hadn’t been opened immediately after it was received and the player had already obtained the item from the container.

what do you all think of this? 

• Haha 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,102 battles

I AM OUTRAGED!

OUTRAGED!!

• Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

saves wg from having to reimburse in dubs/credits ($$) when a dupe is given...

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,171 posts
9,064 battles
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

saves wg from having to reimburse in dubs/credits ($$) when a dupe is given...

Makes sense and it will Reduce doubloons given as a result. Must have something to do with the game economy. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,432 posts
9,039 battles

Another economy adjustment in a long line of many over the last 6 months.   Doubt many will care for it and most won't notice what it means..  I'm guessing this means it will not replicate items you already have ( , patches, badges, at least until you have them all?)  So less credits for newer players?   More premium time needed.   Plus.. Not sure, but this could also effect SC ships?   Though seems like they have already implemented that for ship crates?  

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
5 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Another economy adjustment in a long line of many over the last 6 months.   Doubt many will care for it and most won't notice what it means..  I'm guessing this means it will not replicate items you already have ( , patches, badges, at least until you have them all?)  So less credits for newer players?   More premium time needed.   Plus.. Not sure, but this could also effect SC ships?   Though seems like they have already implemented that for ship crates?  

no what this means is if you have just let containers accumulate, they will now never contain a duplicate ship for example.  Prior to this they could.  So instead of contents decided when the container was awarded, it will now determine the contents when you open the container.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,432 posts
9,039 battles
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

no what this means is if you have just let containers accumulate, they will now never contain a duplicate ship for example.  Prior to this they could.  So instead of contents decided when the container was awarded, it will now determine the contents when you open the container.

Well...  I kind of consider the wording  "unique Item"  to be more wide ranging?  ( I mean wouldn't they just have said "ships"?)  Never know..  WG never been great at communicating the small details to this server.   

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
4 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Well...  I kind of consider the wording  "unique Item"  to be more wide ranging?  ( I mean wouldn't they just have said "ships"?)  Never know..  WG never been great at communicating the small details to this server.   

i used ship as an example, we don't know what unique means in their world.  I imagine collection items will still get duped.  Anything you already have in inventory will still get a chance to get duped... just that there won't be dupes in unopened containers.

P.S. and yeah anyone that has been here awhile... knows that the note could mean something completely different to my interpretation lol

Members
5,055 posts
14,302 battles

I like that it doesn't really matter what the subject is, the same complaints will be made regardless of relevance.

I think this is only for unique item drops - ships, commanders, permanent camouflages. It looks like the goal is to avoid duplicates. I suspect that only matters while there are still items in the prize pool you don't have. There are very few situations where that was the case and you would get a duplicate item without already having the rest of the item drops, like in Santa boxes where there was one random specific situation in which you would get a duplicate ship (and doubloon compensation) from the pool even if you didn't have all of the ships in the pool because of how the crate contents were determined at the time you bought the crate.

It probably has zero meaningful effect.

• Cool 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

Sucks for people who have been hoarding thousands of boxes I guess? Or maybe it doesn't?

I wonder whether patches and collection items count as "unique" though. You can only own one of a given patch/item, but this seems like a likely place for a translation confusion.

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles
1 hour ago, SKurj said:

no what this means is if you have just let containers accumulate, they will now never contain a duplicate ship for example.  

LOL.  WOW, let me introduce you to quantum mechanics.  Actually, all those unopened containers are in a superposition of all possible results.  It is only after one is opened that the wave function (no pun intended) collapses on a result.

• Haha 2

[ARGSY]
Members
31,062 posts
29,291 battles
1 hour ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

like in Santa boxes where there was one random specific situation in which you would get a duplicate ship (and doubloon compensation) from the pool even if you didn't have all of the ships in the pool because of how the crate contents were determined at the time you bought the crate.

Yeah, pretty much. This change finally puts paid to the rare situation where you get a supercontainer or event container or something that has a particular ship assigned to it, and then you buy, win or get gifted that ship before you open the box. Now it will always drop a different ship.

Note that for most if not all collaboration commanders these days, the specific rider is there that "you may have an unlimited number of X", and this rule won't change that. When this is specifically not the case, they tell you so explicitly.

[OGF]
Members
463 posts
9,764 battles

It's changing to work the way I always thought it worked.  Well anyway, it seems like a good change overall.  

• Thanks 1

Members
5,055 posts
14,302 battles
53 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, pretty much. This change finally puts paid to the rare situation where you get a supercontainer or event container or something that has a particular ship assigned to it, and then you buy, win or get gifted that ship before you open the box. Now it will always drop a different ship.

Note that for most if not all collaboration commanders these days, the specific rider is there that "you may have an unlimited number of X", and this rule won't change that. When this is specifically not the case, they tell you so explicitly.

Yeah, exactly, there is no conspiracy on this one, it's a minor fix to a practically nonexistent problem. 

[FRFR]
Members
1,675 posts

iChase posted a couple videos last Christmas about how you could exploit the way the Santa containers worked to actually make doubloons.  WG imposed a 100 crate limit as a stopgap measure, and it looks like they’ve finally gotten around to closing the actual loophole.

The gist of the scheme was that if you already had all the premium ships except for the super rare T9 premiums, then you could buy hundreds of crates for doubloons without opening them, and each random ship you got would be one of those very valuable ships.  Once you opened the containers, the ships would appear in your port, and then any containers opened afterward would convert the duplicate ships into doubloons.  You’d end up with more doubloons than you started with, could then sell those same very valuable ships and repeat the process.

[ARR0W]
Members
6,146 posts
32,898 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

LOL.  WOW, let me introduce you to quantum mechanics.  Actually, all those unopened containers are in a superposition of all possible results.  It is only after one is opened that the wave function (no pun intended) collapses on a result.

Schrodinger’s ship.

[KMS]
Beta Testers
384 posts
22,925 battles

iT IS ANOTHER NERF  to the container bundle system.  for people selling containers with NO production costs and very low development costs, why there is a  group at wg squeezing every % from the players  and trying to eliminate every chance for hitting the jackpot that they can. So scared   that a rare chance they might have to pay out extra gold or credits (which will be spent quickly anyway)

The game has fixed cost to run, independent of containers or other side items sold or not.

There are some realy great people at wg looking to give us good deals (and game) shame there are others working against them. I  call them Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Of course this change might also  save them so server space as it does not have to remember the contents of the bought or won containers.

But for example the decision to eliminate the chance for duplicates in the Christmas Containers, reduced my Christmas container spending by at least $300 . 

Now i stop buying bundles once i get all the ships, instead of buying a few more 25 packs for the extra gold (which i blew a lot more quickly than if bought it normally)

who are the people effected by closing these "loop holes", only their long time supporters and spenders who jump started this game.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,062 posts
29,291 battles
13 minutes ago, OttoVonPrien said:

But for example the decision to eliminate the chance for duplicates in the Christmas Containers, reduced my Christmas container spending by at least $300 . 

You might have wanted to farm doubloons from ship duplicates, far in excess of what you spent; others wanted to farm ships. Your desires are not the only ones that deserve consideration here.

Imagine if, last year, every damn ship you got was the Admiral Makarov. Over and over again. No matter how many crates you bought.