Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Carl_the_Cuttlefish

Lines you stopped advancing because they were uninteresting

16 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
736 posts
6,033 battles

The opposite question of which line to go down, for the decent players who can generally play ships in their desired style and do good in them, which DD lines did you pass going down because the playstyle wasn't that interesting, despite them being decent ships? 

For me, I've stalled on the IJN torpedo line at Fubuki. It's too basic, relying on concealment and out of sight large damage torp runs. Too much downtime waiting for reload. For torpedo ships, I'd rather do quicker loading, less damaging lines.

Also stalled the Khab line at Tashkent, Khab's too similar to a Chapyev, Marceau / Kleber is a more exciting gunboat line. Only got Tashkent because I had it during the rework at tier VIII. Grozovoi is enough gunboat already IMO and more fun. 

I have stalled on Pan Asian line because I already had the American line and feel they'd be too similar, though if I hadn't started the American line, I would have skipped that in favor of Pan Asian because they are more unique and better at dodging. 

Stalled on the French line because I got the Marceau and it's everything I hoped a French DD would be! Is Kleber different enough to try to get? I love the Marceau but don't want a clone. 

Finally I haven't progressed on Sweden line past Visby, they seem interesting but have been more preoccupied with both German lines. I also almost have the Gearing too, which seems a bit overlap with the EU line. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,720 posts
26,569 battles

Pan Asian Destroyers is the only one for me.

• Cool 2

[D-DAY]
Members
7,600 posts

Not stopped, but left and come back - American BBs.

God they are painfully slow. If I could change anything with BBs I think it would be the speed and with some the long reloads (anything over 30 secs sucks is my bias viewpoint lol). But again, they do hit hard - so its that balance thing!

I think BBs at lower Tiers really do need a speed buff in general because with the poor accuracy as well, you do have DDs running circles around them (I wonder if this is what gives some BB mains the mindset to stay well back that they take forward to the higher tiers?) :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
4,608 posts

Any destroyer branch.  I dislike the stealthy play, not fun to me.  (This is for any game, I don't like the stealth play).

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,847 posts
30,536 battles
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I think BBs at lower Tiers really do need a speed buff in general because with the poor accuracy as well, you do have DDs running circles around them (I wonder if this is what gives some BB mains the mindset to stay well back that they take forward to the higher tiers?) :Smile_honoring:

Assuming they add submarines into the game, they are going to need a speed buff. The only real protection BBs had against subs was that they would outrun them but to make subs "playable", they absurdly buffed their speed beyond what they could do in real life. Ships that actually existed are kept at their historic speeds, paper ships are given their projected speed, and subs are given unrealistic speeds... The USS Texas, a ship that is not really known as a speed demon, could outrun any submarine in use during it's service life, including those that were running on the surface. It is all so patently stupid. 

• Thanks 1

Members
111 posts
4,848 battles

I’m not someone who gets overly motivated to play DDs, just kinda have to in order to reduce the number of suicide DDs on your team by one. As a result I have quite a few lines I stopped just trying to find something I liked, which weirdly enough was the German 128 line. Removal of JoAT sucks though.

Whoever said USN DDs were good for beginners because they fill a hybrid role is a liar, that only happens in higher tiers. I guess I just decided the line was shrouded by blind nostalgia and walked, or something along those lines. Either way that was the most note worthy one that I left, other than I found it boring.

[D-DAY]
Members
7,600 posts
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Assuming they add submarines into the game, they are going to need a speed buff. The only real protection BBs had against subs was that they would outrun them but to make subs "playable", they absurdly buffed their speed beyond what they could do in real life. Ships that actually existed are kept at their historic speeds, paper ships are given their projected speed, and subs are given unrealistic speeds... The USS Texas, a ship that is not really known as a speed demon, could outrun any submarine in use during it's service life, including those that were running on the surface. It is all so patently stupid. 

Totally agree - yet reading how impactful getting the right balance will be for the game, and how WG have done in the past...it fills me with that feeling of impending doom! :Smile_hiding:

Stay Calm, and carry on! Until we've at least had time to play and properly assess, will be the name of the game. No doubt the Forum will remain stoic in their approach to change! :Smile_smile:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[DOINK]
Members
926 posts
16,330 battles

Any Nation CV - have no desire to play

American BBs 2nd line (Kansas - Minnesota - Vermont) - Not a big fan on Colorado but please no more slow slow boats / guns

While not abandoned, certainly NOT playing or grinding hard (more occasionally, so eventually maybe will get done):

• Italian BBs - at the V. Veneto but had to FXP last half of F. Caracciolo as the gun dispersion is horrible, even at close ranges.
  • European DDs - at the Oland but had to FXP last half of Skane as no smoke and very poor torps. Haven't played enough of Oland yet to see if I'll keep playing the line.

[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles
On 7/12/2021 at 4:45 AM, Lert said:

an Asian Destroyers is the only one for me.

Skipped the PA and stopped short on the German DDs (T7)

Also never went up the IJN torp line.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:42 AM, Carl_the_Cuttlefish said:

Stalled on the French line because I got the Marceau and it's everything I hoped a French DD would be! Is Kleber different enough to try to get? I love the Marceau but don't want a clone. 

Kleber is good and  has some differences from Marceau. Playstyle is similar with different strengths. You might not think there is enough differences but if you stop early on the French line you will miss out on Fantasque and Mogador. Both are excellent gunboat DDs.

• Cool 1

[SIAS]
Members
38 posts
10,285 battles
On 7/12/2021 at 6:42 AM, Carl_the_Cuttlefish said:

The opposite question of which line to go down, for the decent players who can generally play ships in their desired style and do good in them, which DD lines did you pass going down because the playstyle wasn't that interesting, despite them being decent ships? 

For me, I've stalled on the IJN torpedo line at Fubuki. It's too basic, relying on concealment and out of sight large damage torp runs. Too much downtime waiting for reload. For torpedo ships, I'd rather do quicker loading, less damaging lines.

Also stalled the Khab line at Tashkent, Khab's too similar to a Chapyev, Marceau / Kleber is a more exciting gunboat line. Only got Tashkent because I had it during the rework at tier VIII. Grozovoi is enough gunboat already IMO and more fun. 

I have stalled on Pan Asian line because I already had the American line and feel they'd be too similar, though if I hadn't started the American line, I would have skipped that in favor of Pan Asian because they are more unique and better at dodging. 

Finally I haven't progressed on Sweden line past Visby, they seem interesting but have been more preoccupied with both German lines. I also almost have the Gearing too, which seems a bit overlap with the EU line. 

Kleber is superior to Marceau. It has higher dpm using reload booster than any other dd, so duels are in your favor. It’s gun velocity is much higher than Marceau, so landing shots is easier, especially long distance farming. 

[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles
On 11/3/2021 at 3:42 AM, Dmich89 said:

It has higher dpm using reload booster than any other dd, so duels are in your favor.

True, but Marceau has better DPM standard and the turrets turn faster and they are DP. Kleber may still edge it out overall (torps are better) but it is a close race.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles

All lines from tier 8 and above are not worth grinding for... Doesn;t mean I dont play these tiers... But, its no longer a priority to do any production in those tiers...

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,576 posts
17,526 battles
On 7/12/2021 at 9:27 AM, _WaveRider_ said:

Not stopped, but left and come back - American BBs.

Same here, with the slowpoke split. I got the Kansas from the directives and did some grinding during early access, and then retired it right after that ended. I went back to it a little this spring, and then again when I started planning out my grinds for the anniversary event. Both of those times it quickly got pushed to the bottom of the list or re-retired, to focus on other lines that were much more interesting.

Vermont may be nice the one or two times I've played it on event accounts, but Kansas is just too unenjoyable a ship. There have been other lines where I've shifted grinding focus away for something else (like currently with the RU DDs taking priority over some of the other DD lines), but that's the only ship I've decided to stop grinding since pausing/abandoning my US cruiser grind at t6 Cleveland in favor of only playing the BBs way back in 2015 or 2016. And it's the only one that I've decided to stop multiple times.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this