You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Unit620

Verizon Wounded Warriors donation lack of Communication

44 comments in this topic

[SST5]
Beta Testers
120 posts
21,872 battles

According to the linked thread it looks like WG has done it again.  Worst part is the are still collecting money(currently at $16475.00) with a bogus promise. The only positive is that it is going to a decent cause. They really need to hire some PR folks. 

Stuff like this does not make me want to participate in their events. Hopefully WG will fix this problem and make it right for the player base. 

Changed subject line as scam was to strong, still think it was poor planning. 

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[OIL-1]
Members
2,307 posts

Just read up on this. Wow.
Using wounded veterans to steal money from people is a scummy as it gets.

You had to watch an exact minute of an exact Twitch stream, to know that they
weren't going to pay up. Nothing on the website, which was worded like a standard
contribution event.

Far worse than screwing over LWM.

Next up, I paid $50 for a premium ship and didn't get it. Why?
Because you weren't listening to the Discord broadcast at precisely 3:24 pm to 3:25 pm.

Edited by z9_
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles

To make sure I get it, unless you donated before a milestone was met, you weren't entitled to its reward? 

And that was mentioned only in a relatively obscure spot that was easy to miss? 

[SST5]
Beta Testers
120 posts
21,872 battles

You had to have been watching the live stream at the beginning to learn about the milestones. 

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,783 posts
14,445 battles
31 minutes ago, Unit620 said:

According to the linked thread it looks like WG has done it again.  Worst part is the are still collecting money(currently at $16475.00) with a bogus promise. The only positive is that it is going to a decent cause. They really need to hire some PR folks. 

Stuff like this does not make me want to participate in their events. Hopefully WG will fix this problem and make it right for the player base. 

The fact you are creating a second thread for this lends me to think this is an attempt to stir up anger and rage based on a fake premise. Seems very trollish. I made a point to donate as early as possible, because at some point I saw, heard, or read that the bonus items were gated to when your donation was made. The information was out there.

16 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Just read up on this. Wow.
Using wounded veterans to steal money from people is a scummy as it gets.

You had to watch an exact minute of an exact Twitch stream, to know that they
weren't going to pay up. Nothing on the website, which was worded like a standard
contribution event.

Far worse than screwing over LWM.

Next up, I paid $50 for a premium ship and didn't get it. Why?
Because you weren't listening to the Discord broadcast at precisely 3:24 pm to 3:25 pm.

And this is a falsehood. The money from this event goes to the wounded warrior project, not Wargaming, making accusing them of using wounded veterans to steal money a fundamental impossibility, unless you are accusing Wounded Warrior of being thieves since they are the ones receiving the money. Are you accusing Wounded Warrior?

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,783 posts
14,445 battles
7 minutes ago, Unit620 said:

You had to have been watching the live stream at the beginning to learn about the milestones. 

No, they were past the first milestone before I started watching, and I was fully aware of when the donations had to be made.

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles
6 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

The fact you are creating a second thread for this lends me to think this is an attempt to stir up anger and rage based on a fake premise. Seems very trollish. I made a point to donate as early as possible, because at some point I saw, heard, or read that the bonus items were gated to when your donation was made. The information was out there.

And this is a falsehood. The money from this event goes to the wounded warrior project, not Wargaming, making accusing them of using wounded veterans to steal money a fundamental impossibility, unless you are accusing Wounded Warrior of being thieves since they are the ones receiving the money. Are you accusing Wounded Warrior?

I know it's not directed at me, and to be honest I don't think it's a scam by WG. Nevertheless, if what is told is even to a small degree correct, it's WG's miscommunication. The precise terms of the milestones should have been clearly visible and accessible to anyone willing to donate at any moment on the stream.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

[OIL-1]
Members
2,307 posts
7 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

And this is a falsehood. The money from this event goes to the wounded warrior project

Are you sure? Do you work for Wargaming?
How do I know it's not another Bono, keeping 99.5% of the money and giving 0.5% to the charity?

I was away from the game. When I came back, all I saw was stage 2.
But I know how to read, and there was no such clarification.

The fact that a whole livestream was put together, and nobody apparently checked
the website to see if the information was correct, has Scumbag ripoff written all over it.

Or was it simply an oversite, caused by rampant incompetence due to unimaginable arrogance?

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,583 posts
15 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

No, they were past the first milestone before I started watching, and I was fully aware of when the donations had to be made.

I didn't watch the stream and I donated (past the milestones) under the impression that I would receive the containers.  It wasn't made clear anywhere in the text of the donation page. 

• Cool 3

Members
2,768 posts

I'm never scammed / taken advantage of / bait & switched by WG. When I give to charities, those donations are directly given.

Never letting a dime of my money pass through their coffers has up'd my satisfaction with the game.

[OIL-1]
Members
2,307 posts
10 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

The fact you are creating a second thread for this lends me to think this is an attempt to stir up anger

The first thread was not clear enough.
Because of this thread, I had to read the entire first thread before I figured out what was going on.
I'm glad he started this thread.

[SST5]
Beta Testers
120 posts
21,872 battles

I started a second thread because the title of the first one did not explain what it was about and the thread had migrated to somewhere around page 7.  Do I think WG is stealing, nope.  Do I think at times they are incompetent, yep. Do I think it is [edited] to post the rules and then add information to them in a live stream, yep. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[-AFK-]
Members
1,503 posts
18,865 battles
58 minutes ago, Unit620 said:

They do not need PR folks, they flat out do not care. 
You only need PR if you remotely care about what you are doing, 
This video game is such a niche in the market, you are either going to play it, or not. 

World of Warships - Wargaming - Russia whom call the shots for all of us do not directly communicate with the North American server, they do it via their [Representatives of their regional offices] Whom they never take any advice from and steam roll over all decisions. 

Sooner everyone comes to terms with that the sooner you will just not care and then you can either enjoy the game for what it is and how it currently is or realistically leave because of personal issues with it, 

I do not hope for changes to the game, I just accept it for how it is and enjoy the parts I do but never hang my head thinking 'If only it was something else' 

My 2c 

• Cool 1

[MI-BR]
Members
267 posts
4,934 battles

I donated before the $5,000 mark specifically to get the doubloons and have received 2 very nice supercontainers but no doubloons or cammos. Possibly they will come after the event ends in August?

• Haha 1

[WGF]
Members
113 posts

Definitely not a scam.

More of a miscommunication.

The thread title is in fact more deliberately misleading than what WG did IMO.

Why cause pointless drama? WG has more than enough legit drama.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts
38 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Are you sure? Do you work for Wargaming?
How do I know it's not another Bono, keeping 99.5% of the money and giving 0.5% to the charity?

WGNA actually has a great track record of giving money to many projects and charities including the deck restoration on the Missouri, a huge sum to uss texas, uss batfish, etc etc etc. 

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

Dish had made the mistake from time to time running commercials asking for funding for US Vets while displaying imagery of Russian Warships in port.

I do not participate in such things. You dont know where the money goes if you send it out. Thats a shame.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,504 posts
8,467 battles

I donated right before it hit $10K. Wasn't sure how it was set up milestone wise but figured it might be when you donate determines what you will get. And guess what. Didn't really care. I wasn't donating to 'get free stuff'. I was donating to WWP. 

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
31,104 posts
29,413 battles
1 hour ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

The fact you are creating a second thread for this lends me to think this is an attempt to stir up anger and rage based on a fake premise.

I agree. The words "donation scam" should not be used unless the accusation is being made that the money is not going to the recipient.

For reference, here are the donation milestones: 

image.thumb.png.206ae3f20d67a28c94335129d7a01f8e.png 

Reference URL: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/verizon-warrior-series/ 

It's not necessarily clear that you had to be in before the various cutoffs, but it can easily be inferred and the forums are here for the asking.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I agree. The words "donation scam" should not be used unless the accusation is being made that the money is not going to the recipient.

For reference, here are the donation milestones: 

image.thumb.png.206ae3f20d67a28c94335129d7a01f8e.png 

Reference URL: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/verizon-warrior-series/ 

It's not necessarily clear that you had to be in before the various cutoffs, but it can easily be inferred and the forums are here for the asking.

I agree it's not a scam, but when money is involved, even for a good cause, nothing should be inferred. 

Just my 0.02$.

[WOLFG]
Members
17,141 posts
20,565 battles
1 hour ago, theLaalaa said:

I'm never scammed / taken advantage of / bait & switched by WG. When I give to charities, those donations are directly given.

Never letting a dime of my money pass through their coffers has up'd my satisfaction with the game.

This even if it wasn't WG?

Why run it through a 3rd party?

[OIL-1]
Members
2,307 posts
29 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I do not participate in such things. You dont know where the money goes if you send it out. Thats a shame.

There are lots of vets in my area.
I collect those mini bottles of soap & shampoo from the hotels, along with magazines
I've read, and give them to the ladies auxiliary committee.
They use the anysoldier project to ship them for free to the soldiers in Afghanistan.
(You just have to take a box to the post office with the correct address format.)
http://www.anysoldier.com has all the info you need.
The ladies tell us that the soldiers have all the candy bars they want,
what they need is toiletry items.

Pro Tip: Never never never EVER give money to the Red Cross.
The World War II soldiers hated those dirtbags, and they continue to steal money
to this day. (Katrina comes to mind. Also some disaster in California which I can't remember.)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As far as all the people posting "It's ok because it was for a good cause".
That doesn't excuse the behavior.
Lately everything WG does, seems to be some form of bait and switch.
A mistake is forgivable, but when a pattern develops, you don't have to be 
a genius to figure out what's going on.

[-BCO-]
Members
3,981 posts
10,994 battles
1 hour ago, Depraved_Miscreant said:

They do not need PR folks, they flat out do not care. 
You only need PR if you remotely care about what you are doing, 

Sadly, this. The truth is that we care about this game and the community. Weegee don't give .....anything about neither of them

Members
870 posts
9,489 battles

I stopped donating to the Wounded Warrior Project after some issues they had with their management.  Plus, I have heard from fellow vets at my local American Legion post, that WWP gave them run arounds for simple stuff.  Now, that being said, I have heard of many people who HAVE been helped by them, so in the end, I guess it's up to you to make the decision.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/08/09/after-public-crisis-and-fall-grace-wounded-warrior-project-quietly-regains-ground.html

Right now, they claim to be back up around 71% of their intake, is going to fund their various projects. The rest is paying for the upkeep, salaries, etc.

It's actually appalling how little some "Charities" actually spend on the people they are supposed to be helping.  At least these guys seem to be truly trying to redeem themselves.

• Cool 1