You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HyperFish

How often do you play your premium ships?

55 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,913 posts
8,973 battles

I have a heap of premium ships that I've won or earned through events, but I don't actually play them that often. Most of the time I'm grinding lines etc, so I don't see the purpose in using them to grind captains, and the exp I earn on them doesn't really go anywhere. 

Are premium ships something you play when you've ground the lines you want? Do you use them for special events? Training captains?

I'm wondering if I'm missing the point, and missing some benefit to playing them often. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

I play them when I want to. Depends on the ship.

Georgia is my favorite, I play it most days. Boise I've been playing in Ranked because it's my best ship for that. 

The rest of my collection comes out less often. Alaska if I want to harass cruisers. Massa if I need a T8 BB. AZ if I feel like kicking around low tier. Warspite is my go to for T6 Ops. Atlanta if I just want to shoot.

As for grind ship, not really. I'm at the point where I don't need to grind captains much (I'm happy to slowly work my guys up to 21). I have enough ECXP that if I need to level someone fast I just use that. Credits again haven't been a problem for a while. If I need to make a bunch for a mission or something then Missouri (with camo and every flag I have) is the only option. I've been playing for 5 years, so pretty much an endgame player so my economic needs are probably different than a lot of other people.

Mission are another thing, if I want to knock out missions for something I'll pick the best ship. MO for credits, some high tier premium I'm good in for XP, GA/Massa for secondaries, Maybe ATL for gun hits (though Wooster is my go to there). Lots of options.

So no, I don't play most of my premiums very often. That's fine, I've played all them enough to justify then and I have them if I feel like playing them. Mostly it's what do I feel like playing tonight. This is supposed to be fun, why would I play a ship I don't want to. But I might want to tomorrow. That's why I like premium ships, there's no pressure to use them (unlike premium time). If you don't play them today they'll be there tomorrow.

Members
2,007 posts

I play them alot. More often than tech-tree ships probably.

Mostly because I do not subscribe to premium game-time or doubloons. I just buy the odd premium that piques my interest to support the game. I also tend to enjoy the lower tiers and a relaxing 6-pack of beer, and I look for a more stress free experience where I'm not losing credits...

Frequently, premiums are some of the best ships for competitive purposes; Like the HMCS Haida for ranked. They also make high-tier game-play more affordable. But I refuse to pay $90 - $100 for a T9 or T10 premium, which is a flipping ridiculous price. I'll get them with coal instead.

Members
878 posts
20 battles
1 hour ago, HyperFish said:

I have a heap of premium ships that I've won or earned through events, but I don't actually play them that often. Most of the time I'm grinding lines etc, so I don't see the purpose in using them to grind captains, and the exp I earn on them doesn't really go anywhere. 

Are premium ships something you play when you've ground the lines you want? Do you use them for special events? Training captains?

I'm wondering if I'm missing the point, and missing some benefit to playing them often. 

I play premium ships all the time, more than I play tech tree ships.

It comes down to how you play the game.  I only grind out tech tree lines that I will enjoy, and even then I usually just free XP past the ships I don't like the look of much.  I've been playing since closed beta, and there are still ship plenty of ship lines I've never played to tier 10.  I don't have DM for example (among many others), because I have never had even the slightest interest in that type of game play.

The way I play is that I have maybe 20-30 ships that I really like to play (I just set them as primary, and I'll often add and remove ships from this list over time), and I just play whatever I think I will enjoy the most at any one time.  The only lines I grind out is a couple of my favourites when I feel like doing a Research Bureau reset, and lately I've only been resetting both Russian DD lines, because I love playing them.

By playing this way I am always only playing ships I really enjoy, and I generally have far more resources than I need.  I continue to enjoy the game six years later, because I don't make myself play ships I don't enjoy.

I'm not being critical about anyone who does it differently to me of course, everyone is free to play the way they want, but that is what works for me, and I think it's the way to get the most enjoyment out of the game.

• Cool 2

[-AFK-]
Members
1,502 posts
18,850 battles
2 hours ago, HyperFish said:

I play mine all the time, because they are fun and they rake in so much FXP, Commander XP and silver. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,187 posts
15,766 battles

While I am on a vacation to refresh the game for myself premium ships are probably 2/3 to 3/4 of my play meaning I am mostly ignoring leveling any of the trees.

[OPG4]
Members
1,203 posts
2,920 battles
3 hours ago, HyperFish said:

With Georgia as my only t9, I operate it often in Grand battles. I also operate Scharnhorst for German specific missions and for the fun of the secondaries.

I also operate Scharnhorst with Nelson in ranked battles for steel grinding, along with Mahan, New Orleans, Helena, t7 Italy BB, and Colorado.

I use my t5 premiums every 1-2 months to exercise the crew, and grind some credits/have some fun in low tiers

• Cool 1

Members
4,784 posts
16,599 battles

Ive never run into a real credit crunch, while never paying for premium. The Arizona and De Grasse taught me how to play this game. So probably too much.

premium.jpg

[NONE]
Members
4,225 posts
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

I play them when I want to. Depends on the ship.

Same here. Some like Massachusetts, Atago, and Ohio I play every day as part of my daily container routine. When I'm feeling historical, I might trot out Boise, Prinz Eugen, Arizona, or Exeter. Most of the rest are just placeholders for potential SC drops. Like they say, never sell a premium.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,407 posts
15,676 battles

Play them all the time I just play the ships I like not much for grinding anything . I have no patience for the long list of things to grind for in this game and I have no interest in grinding every ship line . If free things come my way great if they don’t I don’t care I just enjoy the game . 

Edited by clammboy

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,848 posts
30,536 battles

I play premium ships almost exclusively now. I stopped grinding up ship lines to any tier beyond 7, just too much trouble for little reward. Besides, sold off most of my captains to bump up my legendary captains to 21 points and almost all of my tech tree ships have a zero level captain. Really kind of done with the whole tech tree thing and just going to have a bit of fun going forward. Only care about TT ships for the snowflake events.

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
6 hours ago, HyperFish said:

I'm a Co-op player, have a couple of premium and special ships, and looking at my records, I don't play them as often as tech tree ships.

With the exception of Smolensk (smoke and fast reload that can compete with the most determined Kleber player in Co-op), I am most comfortable with tech tree ships.

Minotaur, Harugumo, Kleber, Kremlin, Republique, Kurfurst, Zao, Petropavlovsk, Hindenburg, and Mogami.

Perhaps it is that sense of accomplishment that I feel each time I unlock a tech tree ship that has influenced, and then established, that comfortable feeling of playing them. They are like 'home' to me.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,442 posts
17,239 battles

My daily routine is now consisting essentially of only premiums ships. At 5:55 am EDT I start playing the following in Coop battles:

Massachusetts

Massachusetts B

Musashi

ARP Yamato

Ohio

Missouri

That usually gets the second container for the day and allows me to then virtually start work. If I have a moment in the evening I might play the Yamato, Georgia, T-61, and HSF Harekaze. If I wake up very early I might play the Hermelin and Erie while having my coffee.....

[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,062 battles

I start most gaming days playing Hill and Monaghan in Co-op, to quickly complete the Daily Recurring low XP mission tasks.  I used to use Nicholas and Farragut until I remembered premium ships earn a bit more silver.

I play Missouri whenever I have credit earning missions. 

Smolensk and Kutuzov are used for fire missions. 

Smolensk and Friesland are used for main battery hit missions. 

Tirpitz and Massachusetts are used for secondary battery hit missions.

Kamikaze R, Shinonome, Benham, and Neustrashimy are used for torpedo hit and flooding missions.

...and so on.  I have a ship (or several) for any mission task.

I also keep track of when I last played each premium ship.  Sometimes I see one I haven't played in months, so I'll take it out to shake the rust off.

• Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,666 posts
30,272 battles
4 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I start most gaming days playing Hill and Monaghan in Co-op, to quickly complete the Daily Recurring low XP mission tasks.  I used to use Nicholas and Farragut until I remembered premium ships earn a bit more silver.

I play Missouri whenever I have credit earning missions. 

Smolensk and Kutuzov are used for fire missions. 

Smolensk and Friesland are used for main battery hit missions. 

Tirpitz and Massachusetts are used for secondary battery hit missions.

Kamikaze R, Shinonome, Benham, and Neustrashimy are used for torpedo hit and flooding missions.

...and so on.  I have a ship (or several) for any mission task.

I also keep track of when I last played each premium ship.  Sometimes I see one I haven't played in months, so I'll take it out to shake the rust off.

Almost the same.

Currently re grinding Benson, so I play it if there is no other mission with requirements that need other class or nation ships.

When Narai is available, I usually play Flint.

[WOLF9]
Members
662 posts

Unless I’m grinding a line, I’m playing my high tier premiums in coop. It’s too expensive to play high tier tech tree ships in coop, no matter how much damage you do!

[WOLF9]
Members
2,317 posts
35,829 battles

Totally depends on the situation.

If I am just doing normal missions / grinding XP / whatever, I use my tech tree. 

If I am grinding for something like credits, which I currently am, I sail my premiums, especially the T9s.

If I am grinding something like ECXP, I use both, usually all of my T10s regardless of status so I can use my 21 pt captains more.

Edit:  PS - I don't keep all of my premiums either.  If it is T8 - T10, they are kept.  If they are anything below, it totally depends on the ship.  If I like it or it fills a need, I keep it.  Otherwise I sell it.  I do NOT play WG's buy a billion crates to get a Missouri scam at Christmas.

Edited by kyesac
Edit: PS - I don't keep all of myt premiums either. If it is T8 - T10, they are kept. If they are anything below, it totally depends on the ship. If I like it or it fills a need, I keep it. Otherwise I sell it. I do NOT play WG's buy a billion crate

Members
100 posts
5,479 battles

I mostly play coop...

I play my pommern everyday, shes just silly fun in coop. 12 guns, good armor and torps is just a hella fun combo in coop. I play my Scharnhorst a lot in Naria for fun, cappy exp and credits and play my Graf spee in the other ops for the same reason. I have an Atago but shes not as fun as she was {power creep} so i rarely take her out. I have a bunch of tier 5s ive picked up here and there and they mostly collect rust in port. Apart from my Hindenburg, the Pommern, Scharnhorst and Spee are my three favorite ships I own .... So I play my premiums cause they are the most fun ships I have in port

[ARGSY]
Members
31,064 posts
29,291 battles

I use my premiums whenever they are the most appropriate ship for the task at hand. This can include directive missions (e.g. want "any ribbons" ---> grab Smolensk), levelling/retraining commanders (I ran Leroy Jenkins through my US premium DDs over the weekend to get him another captain point), or farming ECXP from my existing 21 pointers.

Sometimes a particular ship might go unused for months, but this is the same treatment I give my bookshelf; a book I've owned for thirty years can sit there for years, unread, and then suddenly it's my favourite all over again.

@kyesac - I never sell a premium. If I score a ship in a supercontainer or other random-chance box (e.g. Santa containers that are part of directives, event containers that can drop a ship), I want it to bounce off a worthless premium and give me something else, not risk giving something I already got rid of back to me. Most of my best premium ships from Santa containers have been bounce-back supercontainers, because the Santa box drew something I already had.

[WOLFG]
Members
17,115 posts
20,488 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I play premium ships almost exclusively now. I stopped grinding up ship lines to any tier beyond 7, just too much trouble for little reward. Besides, sold off most of my captains to bump up my legendary captains to 21 points and almost all of my tech tree ships have a zero level captain. Really kind of done with the whole tech tree thing and just going to have a bit of fun going forward. Only care about TT ships for the snowflake events.

This.  I stopped grinding lines after the captain's rework.  I may start after the next free reset (I have a couple of lines I haven't started), but not going above T7.

• Cool 1

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,171 posts
9,064 battles

I play my premium ships on and off. I primarily will play the tier 6 and tier 7 ones depending on what mode I am playing. I will play the supercruiser premiums I have often as well. The lower tier premiums I like pulling out for streaming on occasion as well. Some premiums I won’t play unless it is Christmas time. 

[HOP4S]
Members
6,993 posts
35,404 battles

I play only premium ships.  I start at tier 10 and play down the list till I run out of time.  I have a 21 point CPT (and, some more in some nations for TT ships I use in Scenarios) for every Country.  I stopped grinding TT ships at the Skill Tree Change.

Now, I play for fun and have even started to dabble back in PVP (Ranked and Clan Battles) after I changed clans.  If our host changes Premium ship value or CPT use in any way, I will leave the game at that point..........  It's bad enough what they have done.

Members
869 posts
9,489 battles
8 hours ago, HyperFish said:

There are certain premiums or special ships, I usually play daily, or at the very least weekly. Thunderer, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Shinonome,  Anshan. To name a few. Mostly tier 6 and up. My Fujin/Kami R see a fair amount of use. Several of the ones I earned for free and a couple I regret buying, are basically port queens that only get dusted off for Snowflakes. Several of my favorite, goto Tier 4 premiums, are now basically useless. Wargaming for some stupid reason, has felt the need to restrict all missions, dailies, snowflakes, etc. to tier 5 or higher.  So now, there is not much point in my playing my Nikolai, or Yubari, Unless I really, really need the extra xp onto a Captain for some reason. Although I do take my Yubari out every once in awhile, as it can still troll Tier 4 CV's.  My Tier 2-3 Premiums, are basically useless.  Most matches at those tiers, are usually bot fests on both sides, Randoms or Co-op.  My Mikasa is still a blast, but only because the bots like to scrape paint with it.  I and a myriad of other players over the years, have pleaded with WG to add in a scenario or two for the lower tiered ships, to no avail.  If I remember right, a couple of the Campaigns have a handful of missions they can do, but that's pretty much it.