Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Irredeemable

torpedo arming time?

24 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
550 posts
10,802 battles

Many times, I have found that topedoes do not detonate against the target even when the cone is all green.  I thought that, according to he "tutorial video', the torpedo should be armed when to arming cone is green.  what's up?

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

A green cone means that the torpedoes are reloaded. The inner part of the torpedo cone which isn't coloured is the arming distance, if the enemy ship is within this at all the torps won't do damage. What ship are you in and do you have screenshots of examples from your match?

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Irredeemable said:

I should have mentioned that i am asking for aerial torpedoes.

In that case a ship is probably turning into your torpedoes so they don't arm in time.

[WOLF1]
Members
550 posts
10,802 battles
Just now, Noshiro_ said:

In that case a ship is probably turning into your torpedoes so they don't arm in time.

No, the ship is not turning.  And what determines torpedo arm time?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles
Just now, The_Irredeemable said:

The green box. The line closest to you is the drop point, and start of the box is the arm distance.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
29 minutes ago, The_Irredeemable said:

Many times, I have found that topedoes do not detonate against the target even when the cone is all green.  I thought that, according to he "tutorial video', the torpedo should be armed when to arming cone is green.  what's up?

The "arming time" is calculated by the distance from the ship's hull, to the beginning of the "green" zone...

image.png.cfe19231bf995ec4014239ba34456311.png

The concept is the same for both aerial and shipboard torpedoes...

So if a ship is turning in, you might want to release before so that it will clear the aim time requirement...

If a ship is turning away, you'll clear the aiming time but now the angle and range of the torps, will miss their mark completely.

I recommend you practice on co-op or in a training room with both moving and stationary targets..

Its the only way to earn proficient in aiming torps correctly

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
19 minutes ago, The_Irredeemable said:

And what determines torpedo arm time?

The aiming time (for this game) is equal to the size of one full length torpedo hitting the water, measured from the hull to the tip of the torpedo...

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles
1 hour ago, The_Irredeemable said:

Km9fz0s.png

The yellow part is where the torpedo isn't armed, the green part is where it is armed

[WOLF1]
Members
550 posts
10,802 battles
On 7/11/2021 at 9:50 PM, Navalpride33 said:

The aiming time (for this game) is equal to the size of one full length torpedo hitting the water, measured from the hull to the tip of the torpedo...

That would be very difficult to determine as I would guess that if I can see the whole length of the ship in my sights, I would guess that I was far enough away to have the torpedo armed.

[WOLF1]
Members
550 posts
10,802 battles
On 7/11/2021 at 10:57 PM, Noshiro_ said:

Km9fz0s.png

The yellow part is where the torpedo isn't armed, the green part is where it is armed

I need to pay attention to the yellow part.  It seems that when I launch, all I see is the green part of the sights.  Next time, I will pay more attention. 

Does the appearance of the sight depend on tier level?

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
1 minute ago, The_Irredeemable said:

That would be very difficult to determine as I would guess that if I can see the whole length of the ship in my sights, I would guess that I was far enough away to have the torpedo armed.

Its indicated by the yellow portion ( CVs) when aiming... We have some good CV players on the CV side of the forums... They can probably explain it better then I can. ..

But its not a bug...

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

image.thumb.png.27a1a991d2aad453a8480efc3aae44a9.png

As you can see there is no yellow portion of the aiming sights for Hosho or other Tier 4 AC

so long as you drop while the ship is in the green the torp will arm, if you wait until it is in the clear section close to the plane it will not.  The yellow section is only displayed temporarily while starting the run, it turns to green when torps can be dropped.

shot-21_07.13_16_26.11-0484.thumb.jpg.608781286e94befb37d773bdef9a0c5a.jpg

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles
On 7/12/2021 at 12:28 AM, The_Irredeemable said:

For air dropped torpedoes, the arming distance is listed if you examine the weapon under the aircraft type.

One word of caution, despite the arming distance being given in meters, torpedoes are time fused weapons. It's irrelevant with DD's as they arm very quickly, but speeding up you torps doesn't make air dropped torps any harder to dodge as the target has the exact same amount of time to react to the torps, and dropping further away gives the torps more distance to spread out if that's a concern.

Another thing to consider is latency, if you drop the torps so they should arm right before they hit the target, they might not actually arm before hitting. If this happens commonly then you might drop a few meters earlier.

[WOLF1]
Members
550 posts
10,802 battles
1 minute ago, SgtBeltfed said:

For air dropped torpedoes, the arming distance is listed if you examine the weapon under the aircraft type.

One word of caution, despite the arming distance being given in meters, torpedoes are time fused weapons. It's irrelevant with DD's as they arm very quickly, but speeding up you torps doesn't make air dropped torps any harder to dodge as the target has the exact same amount of time to react to the torps, and dropping further away gives the torps more distance to spread out if that's a concern.

Another thing to consider is latency, if you drop the torps so they should arm right before they hit the target, they might not actually arm before hitting. If this happens commonly then you might drop a few meters earlier.

I haven't noticed the display showing the distance to target for aerial torps as I do for surface ship.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
Just now, The_Irredeemable said:

I haven't noticed the display showing the distance to target for aerial torps as I do for surface ship.

that's not what the poster was referring to, if you look up the stats of the torps it shows you the arming distance:

shot-21_07.13_16.50_07-0536.thumb.jpg.3c85df2cf0aa03da847b03a4ca7f84af.jpg

[WOLF1]
Members
550 posts
10,802 battles
8 minutes ago, SKurj said:

that's not what the poster was referring to, if you look up the stats of the torps it shows you the arming distance:

shot-21_07.13_16.50_07-0536.thumb.jpg.3c85df2cf0aa03da847b03a4ca7f84af.jpg

I understand that but what use is that info if we can see the distance to target?  Why not have this distance displayed as it is for surface ships?

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
5 minutes ago, The_Irredeemable said:

I understand that but what use is that info if we can see the distance to target?  Why not have this distance displayed as it is for surface ships?

The distance to arm is displayed on your screen just in a visual format, the area between your plane and the green is the arming distance.   The distance to all ships you can see is displayed...  but you don't have a lock on any one target.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles

The real use of that information is knowing what skills will really do v/s what people think they do.

"Swift Fish" adds 5% to the speed of your torps, sounds like it will make your torps harder to dodge as they're faster. Reality is, the torps also take 5% more distance to arm, so the targets reaction time remains unchanged. If you have torps that spread, that will also give them more distance to spread out. Swift fish is a terrible skill for CV's (despite WG recommending it for certain CV's). 

"Torpedo Bomber" is -10% to arming distance, which means you can drop about 10% closer, giving your target 10% less time to react, and less distance for your torps to spread. The skill has no downside.

Most of the time knowing the exact number doesn't matter, you're eyeballing distances with a CV, and dropping your torps a smidge from the arming line. Once and a while, knowing Kaga has just over an 800 meter arming distance comes up when you're trying to drop between two ships that are less than a KM apart. (especially when the near ship is about to die)

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles
5 hours ago, The_Irredeemable said:

I need to pay attention to the yellow part.  It seems that when I launch, all I see is the green part of the sights.  Next time, I will pay more attention. 

Does the appearance of the sight depend on tier level?

My bad, I grabbed that from the first video on CVs, but they clearly changed the reticule. As others said, the clear area before the green is the arming distance. 

Sign in to follow this