Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Patton5150

So I just got the Marco Polo

16 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,081 posts
60,319 battles

So I just picked up the Marco Polo.  I picked it up since it was on my short list of coal ships and I just unlocked/bought the tier 10 Italian BB, Columbo, and I don't have a high tier Italian premium to train commanders.  I've played several games, and so far, I like the ship.  Its the most accurate Italian BB I've played (I haven't played the Columbo yet).  I don't mind shooting at DDs with her, unlike the other Italian BB.  Armor hasn't trolled me so far.  And her AP has worked so far.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
17,141 posts
20,565 battles

This is the last of the tier 9s I have to get (next coupon).  Good to know.

[WOLF5]
3,081 posts
60,319 battles
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

This is the last of the tier 9s I have to get (next coupon).  Good to know.

I used my June coupon on her.  I usually will wait a while before using the coupon.  But nothing confirmed on any upcoming coal ships.  And next coupon is December.  So if another coal ship arrives, December is only 5 months away.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,191 posts
30,943 battles

She gets the job done.  There's easier, simpler, effective Tier IX Premium BBs to play like Pommern, but MP gets the job done as long as you cover up her Citadel.

[WOLF5]
3,081 posts
60,319 battles

After playing her some more, I think the biggest 'issue' I have is with overpens.  But I think I can alleviate that after getting more familiar with her SAP and AP.

[ALICE]
[ALICE]
Members
15 posts
11,475 battles

The biggest challenge of playing this ship is flexible shift between AP and SAP. Her AP shells have incredible penetration I once killed a 60k Iowa from 15km away. SAP shells are very effective against cruisers.

The only problem is bad dispersion and slow reloading.

[WOLF9]
Members
2,318 posts
35,881 battles

I have MP.  I would rate her as OK.  I actually like the LePanto over her because the LePanto comes with the smoke generator.   Having said that, I do like her and sail her regularly.

I have an interest in the RM, and have many of her premiums - Roma, GC, Abruzzi, D'Aosta, Leone, and Gorizia. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

i had enough coal...  but ITA bb's vs coop ... ack a non-starter for me... got lutjens instead.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,105 posts
29,413 battles
9 hours ago, Patton5150 said:

But nothing confirmed on any upcoming coal ships. 

Until Napoli's currency is confirmed, I'm shy on spending coal. I had originally thought to get Marco as soon as I had the coal for her, but I've gone cold on Italian BBs for some reason and getting her to support training in that line is no longer the must-have that it used to be. 

[OGF]
Members
463 posts
9,764 battles
13 hours ago, Patton5150 said:

So I just picked up the Marco Polo.  I picked it up since it was on my short list of coal ships and I just unlocked/bought the tier 10 Italian BB, Columbo, and I don't have a high tier Italian premium to train commanders.  I've played several games, and so far, I like the ship.  Its the most accurate Italian BB I've played (I haven't played the Columbo yet).  I don't mind shooting at DDs with her, unlike the other Italian BB.  Armor hasn't trolled me so far.  And her AP has worked so far.

I don't have a lot of games in MP, but she seems serviceable enough.  It's hard for me to judge because I've gotten used to the Italian BBs now so if any have perculiarly bad characteristics I might not really notice. 

Regarding Colombo, though, she seems solid for being what she is and within the limitations of the IT BB line in general.  I started using her for clan battles because I had the most points in her, and she's been solid.  Last night I ate 4 enemy clan botes with it, which is not a consistent result but much better than expected.  Your mileage may vary, but I find Colombo's best strengths are the many barrels and the 360 degree aft turret rotation.  Exploit that, it makes it difficult for things to get the drop on you.  The downside is that you are exceptionally vulnerable to enemy DDs and doubly so if you don't have anyone to spot them for you.  If a menacing red triangle starts stalking you, bot or human, it's probably only a matter of time before they get you.  And try not to show broadside if you can, you'll pay hard for it with the squishy sides.  But Colombo's a much better performer than I initially expected, and went from my "nothing better right now" choice for clan battles to "this one, I want this one".  

[COOP2]
Members
565 posts
12,046 battles
On 7/12/2021 at 7:54 AM, kyesac said:

I have an interest in the RM, and have many of her premiums - Roma, GC, Abruzzi, D'Aosta, Leone, and Gorizia. 

Which of these do you think is worth getting? I don't have any Italian premium ships and adding one is on the to-do list. I was thinking about Marco Polo because I can easily get it for coal, but she seems a bit underwhelming.

I'm also wondering when, and for what, Napoli will be available for.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,741 posts
37,549 battles

Played 40 games in MP and 33 in Colombo, getting circa 20k more damage on average in Colombo, MP is my next best Italian BB. This trend is reflected in the server numbers where the top 5% of players get  143490 damage in Colombo versus 120122 in MP on average.

[WOLF9]
Members
2,318 posts
35,881 battles
17 hours ago, Ironshroud said:

Which of these do you think is worth getting? I don't have any Italian premium ships and adding one is on the to-do list. I was thinking about Marco Polo because I can easily get it for coal, but she seems a bit underwhelming.

I'm also wondering when, and for what, Napoli will be available for.

The best of this bunch is obviously the GC.  However it is not available anymore.  

If I had to pick a second one, I would wait for Napoli.  It will be released in the next two weeks and we will all know what resource then.  I know this because the Napoli is needed to complete missions in 10.6.3 and 10.6.4.

Of the remaining group, I like the Roma.  It's guns can be wonky at times, but it has good speed and good concealment.  It is also an older release, so it has HE instead of SAP.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,191 posts
30,943 battles

I really do not suggest Roma.  Exposed, easy to delete Citadel and accuracy that's going to fail you bad.

Feel free to read up on what people think about Roma first if you don't trust my short take on it.  She has extensive, bad history in this game.  She's a terrible Premium Ship.

It's one thing to have an easy to delete Citadel as a BB, there's a bunch out there like that, but to also have the Double Whammy of bad gun accuracy on top of that is too much.  Roma looks great, but looks is all she has.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1