You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Juphikie

Game crashes after battle, sometimes before battle, and even in battle

28 comments in this topic

[DUMP5]
Beta Testers
8 posts
8,331 battles

I've been having an issue where the game will crash at the end of battle, showing a black screen instead of the battle results screen. It seems to recognize the 'back to port' button but that normally just speeds up the game realizing that it has crashed, if I don't click the hidden button then it takes 5 minutes to give the error message.

Another issue is that now and then the game will crash as I hit the battle button, still loading me into battle, the game did once remove me from the battle load as it seemed to realize it couldn't connect. Often if I just reload the game right away I will be back in the battle and able to get to play.

Then recently I've been crashing at random in the middle of battle, being unable to get back into battle when this happens, the screen freezes and I get kicked after about 30 seconds.

I play the game from the Game Center with no mods, I sent a ticket in and they said they knew of the problem and it would be fixed, but nothing has happened sense the recent update. I have repaired the game multiple times but it doesn't work. I play on a 4 year old MSI Laptop, and have 77 FPS on high setting, but have recently pushed the settings down as I was worried my computer wasn't loading everything demanded. I also exclusively play Co Op as I want to have fun in this game.

Does anyone know if there's something I can do? I would like to avoid getting a new computer if it's just the game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,192 posts
15,767 battles

Things to do in order.

2) If you have any mods remove them
3) Run the repair from the WGC
4) Remove

[DUMP5]
Beta Testers
8 posts
8,331 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Things to do in order.

2) If you have any mods remove them
3) Run the repair from the WGC
4) Remove

As I have stated in my post, I have no mods, and have run the repair from the game center multiple times, it has not worked. and what do you mean in number 4? and is there meant to be a number one?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,192 posts
15,767 battles
4 minutes ago, Juphikie said:

As I have stated in my post, I have no mods, and have run the repair from the game center multiple times, it has not worked. and what do you mean in number 4? and is there meant to be a number one?

Gah, screwed up my reply.

I always start with remove mods if you have them because there might be others with similar issues. Next is remove and reinstall the game and if that doesn't work contact support and you should also consider bad RAM. If you have enough RAM to comfortably run the game with one stick removed give that a try pulling one out and then swapping them out until you have done that with all of them.

[DUMP5]
Beta Testers
8 posts
8,331 battles
On 7/11/2021 at 11:12 PM, BrushWolf said:

I always start with remove mods if you have them because there might be others with similar issues. Next is remove and reinstall the game and if that doesn't work contact support and you should also consider bad RAM. If you have enough RAM to comfortably run the game with one stick removed give that a try pulling one out and then swapping them out until you have done that with all of them.

well I have no mods to begin with, removed the game and game launcher then reinstalled, 4 battles in and the game crashed again, have contacted support before and they said they knew about it, I think it's the RAM on my laptop, when I look it up it says I have 16.0 GB of RAM, but also says I have 15.9 GB available, I don't know if this is something that changes when playing the game

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
43 minutes ago, Juphikie said:

well I have no mods to begin with, removed the game and game launcher then reinstalled, 4 battles in and the game crashed again, have contacted support before and they said they knew about it, I think it's the RAM on my laptop, when I look it up it says I have 16.0 GB of RAM, but also says I have 15.9 GB available, I don't know if this is something that changes when playing the game

could be bad memory...  

another thought is temps..  could the fan and any venting be clogged?

[DUMP5]
Beta Testers
8 posts
8,331 battles
1 hour ago, SKurj said:

could be bad memory...  

another thought is temps..  could the fan and any venting be clogged?

no, I recently fully cleaned the fans out, computer rarely gets hot, not sure about memory, any way I can check that?

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

no, I recently fully cleaned the fans out, computer rarely gets hot, not sure about memory, any way I can check that?

there are apps out there that can test your memory, but sorry I can't refer you to one. If the laptop has a more than one stick of memory you could try removing one and run the game see if it crashes.  If it does swap the sticks and try again.,

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
On 7/11/2021 at 8:53 AM, Juphikie said:

Does anyone know if there's something I can do? I would like to avoid getting a new computer if it's just the game.

Sounds like (from the first post) you have a driver issue... I would make sure your drivers are updated and installed correctly for the following items.

• GPU
  • CPU
  • Bios

After that do a check and repair... Log back in and monitor performance of your gear.

[BGA]
Members
124 posts
22,346 battles

Does the computer have issues playing any games that are not online?  Best way to narrow down if you have a hardware or connectivity issue.  Play the most intensive offline game you have(easy to find more intensive games than WOWs).  If you are not crashing in other games and you did uninstall and reinstall WOWs and you have the latest graphics drivers, then I'd lean towards networking issues.

Open a command/powershell window(win+R then type cmd and enter) and run:     ping wotna3.login.wargaming.net -t

The -t flag will run the ping command indefinitely.  you can hold control+c to stop the command or just close the window

You will see results like the below.

image.png.b18bf327d0a29d4fe2cc2fe5c430d006.png

I circled the column that matters if these values are in the hundreds or you have lots of lines that have request timed out then network connectivity is your issue(occasional one line timeouts will not end the world, but multiple consecutive will).  This game does not react well when it can't talk to the servers. 

If networking is the issue it comes down to figuring out the cause.  If you are using a laptop it could be the wifi in your laptop or the wifi router.  Most often routers start having issues after a few years.  To eliminate wifi being an issue try plugging directly into the router and see if you experience the same crashes.  If plugged in and no issues it is likely the routers wifi.  My last router started overheating and caused me issues.  I put a fan on it and it was fine until I replaced it.  Thought if a router is over heating it could cause latency issues even if plugged in.  Couple random thoughts to check.

I've been playing the game since it came out and either a full uninstall/reinstall or replacing router has solved the issues I've had over the years.

[DUMP5]
Beta Testers
8 posts
8,331 battles
1 hour ago, Sinsie said:

Does the computer have issues playing any games that are not online?  Best way to narrow down if you have a hardware or connectivity issue.  Play the most intensive offline game you have(easy to find more intensive games than WOWs).  If you are not crashing in other games and you did uninstall and reinstall WOWs and you have the latest graphics drivers, then I'd lean towards networking issues.

Open a command/powershell window(win+R then type cmd and enter) and run:     ping wotna3.login.wargaming.net -t

The -t flag will run the ping command indefinitely.  you can hold control+c to stop the command or just close the window

You will see results like the below.

image.png.b18bf327d0a29d4fe2cc2fe5c430d006.png

I circled the column that matters if these values are in the hundreds or you have lots of lines that have request timed out then network connectivity is your issue(occasional one line timeouts will not end the world, but multiple consecutive will).  This game does not react well when it can't talk to the servers. 

If networking is the issue it comes down to figuring out the cause.  If you are using a laptop it could be the wifi in your laptop or the wifi router.  Most often routers start having issues after a few years.  To eliminate wifi being an issue try plugging directly into the router and see if you experience the same crashes.  If plugged in and no issues it is likely the routers wifi.  My last router started overheating and caused me issues.  I put a fan on it and it was fine until I replaced it.  Thought if a router is over heating it could cause latency issues even if plugged in.  Couple random thoughts to check.

I've been playing the game since it came out and either a full uninstall/reinstall or replacing router has solved the issues I've had over the years.

Running the scan I was able to find that my time is between 40 and 70 ms, but I do get a jump now and then that's over 100

3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Sounds like (from the first post) you have a driver issue... I would make sure your drivers are updated and installed correctly for the following items.

• GPU
  • CPU
  • Bios

After that do a check and repair... Log back in and monitor performance of your gear.

I did find in the MSI Dragon Center that my Memory (when sitting in port in game) is at about 60%, most of that is due to a Microsoft defender program named 'anti malware service executable'  that (when out of game) was taking up about 40% of memory. While sitting in port in game, my CPU is around 15 to 25%, GPU is at 0%, and Disk is at just 1%.

Edited by Juphikie

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles

Running the scan I was able to find that my time is between 40 and 70 ms, but I do get a jump now and then that's over 100

I did find in the MSI Dragon Center that my Memory (when sitting in port in game) is at about 60%, most of that is due to a windows defender program that (when out of game) was taking up about 40% of memory. While sitting in port in game, my CPU is around 15 to 25%, GPU is at 0%, and Disk is at just 1%.

Did you update and properly install your drivers first ?

[DUMP5]
Beta Testers
8 posts
8,331 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Did you update and properly install your drivers first ?

was only able to update the drivers for the CPU, it did help a little with the CPU, now sitting between 10-15% usage

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
2 minutes ago, Juphikie said:

was only able to update the drivers for the CPU, it did help a little with the CPU, now sitting between 10-15% usage

The updating of your drivers was not to lower its usage... I did not hinted consumption when I suggested the fix.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
3 hours ago, Juphikie said:

I did find in the MSI Dragon Center that my Memory (when sitting in port in game) is at about 60%, most of that is due to a Microsoft defender program named 'anti malware service executable'  that (when out of game) was taking up about 40% of memory. While sitting in port in game, my CPU is around 15 to 25%, GPU is at 0%, and Disk is at just 1%.

sitting in port is the hardest on your system.  its possibly a decent test to let it sit there.... my system runs hotter in port, alot hotter than in a game.

[DUMP5]
Beta Testers
8 posts
8,331 battles
19 hours ago, SKurj said:

sitting in port is the hardest on your system.  its possibly a decent test to let it sit there.... my system runs hotter in port, alot hotter than in a game.

19 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

The updating of your drivers was not to lower its usage... I did not hinted consumption when I suggested the fix.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:12 PM, BrushWolf said:

was able to go all of today playing 10 co op games without it crashing, unless it's just getting my hopes up then I think I can say it's fixed by updating my drivers and repairing the game, thank you

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
1 minute ago, Juphikie said:

was able to go all of today playing 10 co op games without it crashing, unless it's just getting my hopes up then I think I can say it's fixed by updating my drivers and repairing the game, thank you

Dont forget to update your drivers at the 9 month mark from this post... Make sure you install them properly...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,192 posts
15,767 battles
5 minutes ago, Juphikie said:

Some times drivers are the fix, crosses fingers for you.

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
7 posts
4,717 battles

I have been having the same(ish) issue for about 2 weeks. I at first got a few of the critical errors, now I get what appears to be a nasty driver crash where my monitors all lose signal and will not regain one until I do a hard restart on the machine.

• My drivers are all current
  • It happens on both the steam version AND game center version of the game (i have installed and tried both)
  • There are no mods installed
  • Custom water loop (5900x + 3080) temps are 45-50c for cpu and 30-34c for gpu
  • I have done a repair on both games.
  • I have ran sfc /scannow to look for errors
  • I have (so far) not had any crashes or stability issues in other games
  • It seems to happen either at the beginning of a match or at the conclusion when I click out from a victory/defeat.
  • I have run multiple stability/stress tests including a full memory test suite.

I am completely stumped on this one. Not sure what is causing the issue. Part of me wonders if it is some weird hardware combination issue. 

What are people using for their cpu/gpu combo?

Are you using pci-e 4?

I am using

32gb of ddr4 3600

Ryzen 5900x

RTX 3080

Msi MEG X570 Ace

Corsair AX1200I PSU

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
1 minute ago, Deathwaits84 said:

My drivers are all current

Did you install them properly ?

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
7 posts
4,717 battles
36 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Did you install them properly ?

How does one go about installing them incorrectly? If you mean did I nuke every driver on my system and reinstall then no, I didn't. I did ddu my gpu drivers since I found they were saying they crashed in the event viewer, but even after wiping and reinstall them the problem has persisted. I haven't be able to reproduce the issue in any other games though,

Seriously, I am in the IT field so those common mistakes shouldn't be applicable here. I have done quiet a bit of looking for driver issues and trying to fix any file corruption that could have been hiding under the surface. 

Edited by Deathwaits84

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
4 minutes ago, Deathwaits84 said:

How does one go about installing them incorrectly? If you mean did I nuke every driver on my system and reinstall then no, I didn't. I did ddu my gpu drivers since I found they were saying they crashed in the event viewer, but even after wiping and reinstall them the problem has persisted. I haven't be able to reproduce the issue in any other games though,

If you think its not a GPU issue, I would check the wires, connectors and hardware....

The majority complaints do get resolved by just update and install your drivers properly... Other times, you need to use the safe mode to dive deeper into the problem.

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
7 posts
4,717 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

If you think its not a GPU issue, I would check the wires, connectors and hardware....

The majority complaints do get resolved by just update and install your drivers properly... Other times, you need to use the safe mode to dive deeper into the problem.

I have checked my connections. Like I said I have been unable to reproduce the issue in any other games. I have done several benchmark/stress tests. I might try disabling pci-e 4 to see if that is some how no longer playing nice with world of warships, but I haven't seen issues else where to think that has much of a shot of success.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
1 minute ago, Deathwaits84 said:

I have checked my connections. Like I said I have been unable to reproduce the issue in any other games. I have done several benchmark/stress tests. I might try disabling pci-e 4 to see if that is some how no longer playing nice with world of warships, but I haven't seen issues else where to think that has much of a shot of success.

If I were in your situation... Sometimes its hardware beginning to fail. GPU temps going to high. or lowering your GPU settings in game down a notch. The temperature of the room is to high not enough cooling or regulating elements to handle peek performance.

I would also note, WOWS updates its graphics capabilities with every patch... Some users are going to have to upgrade.. If you still don;t have a fix... Last resort, revort to a time in your machine before the issue and go from there...

The NUKE option is to uninstall.. I usually give save that option for the last viable step... That is the end all fix all option, never the go to option.

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
7 posts
4,717 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

If I were in your situation... Sometimes its hardware beginning to fail. GPU temps going to high. or lowering your GPU settings in game down a notch. The temperature of the room is to high not enough cooling or regulating elements to handle peek performance.

I would also note, WOWS updates its graphics capabilities with every patch... Some users are going to have to upgrade.. If you still don;t have a fix... Last resort, revort to a time in your machine before the issue and go from there...

The NUKE option is to uninstall.. I usually give save that option for the last viable step... That is the end all fix all option, never the go to option.

It shouldn't be a hardware issue. If it was something failing there are many more demanding titles that would have been having issues too. I might just toss a clean install of windows on a spare SSD and see if a clean copy of windows has the issue. If the issue goes away I can just wipe my OS drive.

Normally I can narrow down these issues, but for whatever reason this one I have been unable to find. Like I said the only fact that is constant is this game.

Edited by Deathwaits84