Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Suzuki

Can I Run World of Warships off an External Hard Drive?

9 comments in this topic

Members
392 posts
6,267 battles

Hello everyone! I apologize if this topic isn't actually in the right place, but I have some questions about the performance of the game when running it off an external hard drive. 

Basically, World of Warships has grown to a size where I can't fit it onto the internal hard drive on my laptop anymore, and I am also someone who doesn't have a proper laptop to actually play video games on. So I'm just trying to run the game off an external hard drive. I dug one up in my house, but after examining it and doing a quick Google search, I found that the one I own is an HDD, and not an SSD (which is more ideal for running games, because it has less moving parts or something like that). So I was wondering if anybody has had experience playing the game off an HDD and what that was like. And if it's terrible/unbearable, where can I obtain a good SSD for not too high a price?

Thanks so much,

Capt. Suzuki

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,987 posts
5,224 battles

Generally, yes.  How well depends on the speed of the interface to the main buss.  How is it connected to the laptop?  USB 2.0? SATA?

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,148 battles

If you have a fairly new laptop, then you can run it from thunderbolt drive port and get a thunderbolt external drive.

But if you have a USB 3.0 , you can set up a HDD enclosure and mount either a mechanical 7200rpm drive or even an SSD"brick", which is a 2.5 inch form factor drive. HDDs are fairly well priced and western digital black is my recommendation. For SSDs, a 2.5 Samsung or western digital will work for slightly faster.

However your obvious bottleneck is the port. So look at your laptop and use the fastest port on it then build your external drive to take full advantage of that port. External enclosures have become more sophisticated in that you have more port options. Explore that wherever you shop online or locally and you should find a solution.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
550 posts
6,157 battles

Oddly enough I was able to recently run the public test off of an external backup HD. The only problem is whenever I login the wargaming center didnt like that as the drive isn't automatically connected. So basically as long as your external is at least usb 2.0 your good to go

Beta Testers
100 posts
21,569 battles

I run on a external nvme drive connected to USB 3 and it runs very well. As already said the bottleneck is going to be the interface you use. 

[TCCN]
Members
247 posts
17,481 battles

If it's an old external drive make sure it's not formatted with FAT32 because it's no longer supported.

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles
9 hours ago, Captain_Suzuki said:

Can I Run World of Warships off an External Hard Drive?

By Captain_Suzuki,

Hello everyone! I apologize if this topic isn't actually in the right place, but I have some questions about the performance of the game when running it off an external hard drive. 

Basically, World of Warships has grown to a size where I can't fit it onto the internal hard drive on my laptop anymore, and I am also someone who doesn't have a proper laptop to actually play video games on. So I'm just trying to run the game off an external hard drive. I dug one up in my house, but after examining it and doing a quick Google search, I found that the one I own is an HDD, and not an SSD (which is more ideal for running games, because it has less moving parts or something like that). So I was wondering if anybody has had experience playing the game off an HDD and what that was like. And if it's terrible/unbearable, where can I obtain a good SSD for not too high a price?

Thanks so much,

Capt. Suzuki

In theory?  Yes.

In practice?  This will yield slower game-loading times.  A brisk Co-op game may be over by the time your ship spawns, eh?

I encourage finding a way to utilize an SSD.  When I switched from an old laptop to my new/current laptop, the change included an SSD. 
Games loaded in a handful of seconds, (instead of finding myself spawned after everyone else had left the starting-line and the battle-timer had already counted-down substantially).

An internally mounted SSD is best for playing games. 
That way it will have the fastest possible connections to the mother-board and the CPU and RAM and dedicated Video-Card.

Connecting an external drive via a USB port will be limited to the speed capabilities of the USB port, which are substantially slower than the internal hard drive connecting to the motherboard.
External drives are fine for storing libraries of photos & videos. 
They're even fine for simple games which use DOS-Box emulators to run them, because the input/output demands are comparatively small.
But modern & demanding games need a lot of fast through-put of data.  Any choke-point will affect the game performance.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles

@Captain_Suzuki, I forgot to mention a place to shop.
I've had good experiences with this online vendor.  https://www.newegg.com/

I'm not sure what your "local computer shop" options are.  Sometimes it's worthwhile to cultivate relationships with local vendors, too.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I run my wows off the 6 SSD Raid 5. Its fast enough for the situation.

However it is not too far into the future where I consider a USB Flash 3.0 Drive and put the game on that, throw it onto the back of the computer. Its probably equally fast for gameplay. You can have about a terabyte or more of space.

Years ago I used to install windows then put the Windows system Cache etc onto a smaller thumbdrive away from C on the back of the motherboard before installing anymore drives. That kept the computer reasonably fast.

Another benefit is with a newer laptop you can take your games with you without having to install everything onto it's C drive.

Edited by xHeavy