You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Royeaux

"Your comments will be noted in the log."

7 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
9,649 posts
7,316 battles

Master and Commander

"I'll not vouch for this mast. Not around the Horn." - Mr. Lamb

"Thank you. Your comments will be noted in the log." - Captain Aubrey 

Star Trek First Contact

"I'm about to commit a direct violation of our orders. Those of you who wish to object, you do so now. It will be noted in my log." - Picard

I've noticed in some movies that the Captain will sometimes say a objection or comment will be noted in the log.  I wasn't sure if this was some kind of punishment or not, was it bad to have you're comments noted in the ship's log?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

CYA. Basically if something goes wrong as a result of the action they are recommending against there is a record that they warned the captain of the possible outcome before it occurred. That way they can't be blamed, and the captain had better have a real good reason for ignoring the suggestion. Creating a paper trail.

So no, it's not bad for the officer, but it does suggest that you're in a situation where you're being forced to do something extraordinary, which generally isn't good.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
16 minutes ago, Sventex said:

've noticed in some movies that the Captain will sometimes say a objection or comment will be noted in the log.  I wasn't sure if this was some kind of punishment or not, was it bad to have you're comments noted in the ship's log?

In the context of the movies... Its more in reference of/to recording an objection in a court martial transcript.

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,075 battles
18 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Master and Commander

Star Trek First Contact

"I'm about to commit a direct violation of our orders. Those of you who wish to object, you do so now. It will be noted in my log." - Picard

I've noticed in some movies that the Captain will sometimes say a objection or comment will be noted in the log.  I wasn't sure if this was some kind of punishment or not, was it bad to have you're comments noted in the ship's log?

In the examples given it's not (bad) as those examples are the captain taking risks that put the ship in jeopardy & those in command of certain aspects of the ship (like the person I charge of the mast telling him it may not hold up) are required to inform the captain that his actions may endanger at least their job because their particular area of the ship may not be built to sustain the dangerous actions the captain plans on doing...so if their area fails in the course of the action it is good for them to have a comment to the effect that they warned the captain it was potentially dangerous.

As for the captain intentionally disobeying a direct order that is an action that anybody on the ship had the right to get an objection logged in about. Not logging an objection makes you an accessory & makes you eligible for a court martial right alongside the captain.

But...that is not the only thing the captain puts in his log...& any punishments for misbehavior go into the log also & those ones are bad for you...although you have the right to have your side of the story/alibi logged in also.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

Master and Commander

Star Trek First Contact

Not really, no. What it means is that if the captain gets court-martialed or otherwise is held accountable for the actions they're about to make, he'll make sure to note of anyone who tried to tell him not to in the record that will be used against him in the trial. Essentially, he's offering to make sure the crew isn't punished as well.

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,148 battles

It is a form of documentation. It is used as a reference to academia and also industry.

But in cases of ships, whether it is logged is dependent on the actions taken. In the case of Picard, he wanted the Crew to know that he wouldn't use their objections to adversely affect their careers thereafter.

In movies, it is often a plot device of its own clever design. But it is there in ships or spaceships to document all aspects of ship operation and its voyage or mission.

Sometimes to the detriment of the crew or for the benefit. But as far as captain logs, it is for the Captain's benefit.

I often laugh about the bathroom logs at a certain store I shop at and wonder what the disciplinary proceedings would sound like....

Store council meeting:

Manager Robert Saget: "I checked the logs and found that some logs were altered due to lack of cleaning supplies or time.  I found logs all over the walls! I found logs in disrepair and also someone used the executive restroom and left logs there that should have been left in another restroom. Janitor Palpatine, have you anything to say about these Sithy logs?"

Palpatine: "All I am willing to say is that you will find all my restrooms fully operational! ".  *Shoots out green spray from his sprayer...misses Saget due to range.

Saget: "I see, we will have to use a better cleaner. Might I introduce Mace Windu and his amazing purple cleaner."

Windu: "Oh yeah, I will make the logs fear my cleaning power. It's purple, I hope that doesn't scare you Palpatine?"

*Palpatine is silent, but obviously scared 😨

Windu: "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you say anything. Maybe my purple toilet cleaning wand is scaring you. It is longer than yours."

Palpatine: "If only I had a good assistant. Management got rid of Anakin for hitting on the ladies. Curse his hair fetish..."

Well, who said logs can't be funny...

*Throws another log on the fire 🔥

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman