Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hunter_Steel

Lets Look at Prinz Heinrich (Speculation Time!)

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles

So now that I have your attention, lets look at Ersatz Yorck  Prinz Heinrich, the upcoming Tier 7 German Battlecruiser. This post serves to discuss some speculation upon looking at the historically accepted design of the Ersatz Yorck class Battlecruiser.

CXvz3Y7.jpg

So, yes, I was actually reminded by someone in the mountains of comments from the Dev Blog Forum post that Prinz Heinrich is actually Ersatz Yorck and not just a Tier 7 Mackensen. So what does this mean for the old gal that was scrapped on her slipway after the Keel was laid down? Well then, lets look at the history a bit.

So Ersatz Yorck and her 2 sisters, Ersatz Scharnhorst and Ersatz Gneisenau (these ships were called Ersatz in planning stages because they were replacements for the Armored Cruisers Yorck, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau) were the last 3 ships in the Mackensen class Battlecruisers that were ordered. By the time the German Admiralty ordered changes for the Ersatz Yorck and her 2 sisters, Ersatz Yorck's Keel had been laid down and her amidships section was under construction. The German Admiralty decided from lessons learned at Jutland, that it was time to up-armour and up-gun them. However with work on Ersatz Yorck already steadily underway, they couldn't afford to up-armour her, there was no space left on the hull of the ship and there wasn't time for a revision. During the redesign process, Admiral Scheer had ordered that the the three ships receive thicker armour, bigger guns and retain the same speed as the Mackensen class (effectively making them Fast Battleships) but due to time constraints and Ersatz Yorck's construction well under-way, only the guns could be increased at the loss of some speed. They couldn't increase the speed either because the boilers and steam turbines had already been ordered. Although the rearrangement of the interior allowed for the Boilers to be trunked into a single Funnel instead of the Mackensen's two Funnels which worked in the Germans' favour anyways.

The guns she would receive were the 38cm SK L/45 guns that could be found on the Bayern class, the guns had a rate of fire of one round every 38 seconds. To keep the ship's freeboard the same, she was lengthened which helped retain a little speed too. At the end of the day, the Ersatz Yorck lost pretty much one knot of speed from the Mackensen's 28knots to 27.3 knots with engines that had a power of 90,000 SHP, identical to the Mackensen class.

So now lets look at this wonderful lady (in an A-historical what-if modernisation had Germany been able to build her and also allowed to keep their Battle Fleet.) Oh, wait, almost forgot to mention. The Amid-ships section of the Ersatz Yorck was used as a reference in the Scharnhorst Class Fast Battleships' construction. So in a way she's Scharnhorst's mother.

 

As we all know, Bayern has a reload time of 30 seconds with some wonky accuracy, and the guns have to get close to other ships.

The ship will likely get a speed increase in her modernisation to 30 knots which I expect to happen. But well, don't get your hopes up. It's WG Balans department after all.

Not much to say about her secondaries, they're same as Mackensen's (so the same Prinz Eital Friedrich, her armour will be largely the same, although WG might give her a uniform belt with 100mm or 80mm icebreaker.)

As a result, I am actually pretty excited for Prinz Heinrich, not much more can be said until we get actual stats, but at the same time, I am just happy to at least up to Tier 7 have a German Battleship line that's historical. She's going into the collection for certain.

 

What do you guys think? It's speculation, and this post was made at 1 AM so I am not able to think up much more. She can be really fun, basically an 8-gun Gneisenau with less pen, but can be fairly fun to play.

~Hunter

  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
894
[CHA0S]
Members
693 posts
6,739 battles
8 minutes ago, Hunter_Steel said:

~snip~

Thank you for writing this, and for the history lesson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48
[T-D-M]
Members
168 posts
18,742 battles

I wonder if Heinie is gonna be a good nickname in lieu Heinrich. Waiting patiently for the line to arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,255
[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,797 posts
20,735 battles
1 hour ago, M_113 said:

I wonder if Heinie is gonna be a good nickname in lieu Heinrich. Waiting patiently for the line to arrive.

do not sail in straight lines or your Heinie is gonna be paddled

image.jpeg.00ab9c7ed9c4ae0e85824904a26dc9bc.jpeg

Edited by Lord_Slayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,131
[WOLF8]
Members
9,259 posts
7,537 battles

Well, all I can think is that Prinz Heinrich from Azur Lane now has a zero chance of becoming a possible candidate for a collab captain in WoWs, ever... due to the name overlap. I mean, we'll never know which ship girls from that game will be picked to become the collab captains in WoWs, until the actual collab happens... but I think it's pretty much guaranteed now that Prinz Heinrich will not be one of them. Because in AL, she's a P-class cruiser... whereas Prinz Heinrich in WoWs will be an Ersatz Yorck class battlecruiser. In short, essentially speaking, they're two different ships, but same name... lol. :Smile_hiding:

As for the upcoming ship herself in WoWs... I have no idea, since we don't know her preliminary stats from WeeGee yet. I wager PEF could be a decent reference to how the entire line might feel like to play... but other than that, I got nothing, lel. :Smile_hiding:

I am excited for the whole line, and not just for Prinz Heinrich, at least. I must admit that I was quite surprised, because Germans are slated to get a whole new line, and not just a line split from the middle, or something... lul. :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles
47 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Well, all I can think is that Prinz Heinrich from Azur Lane now has a zero chance of becoming a possible candidate for a collab captain in WoWs, ever... due to the name overlap. I mean, we'll never know which ship girls from that game will be picked to become the collab captains in WoWs, until the actual collab happens... but I think it's pretty much guaranteed now that Prinz Heinrich will not be one of them. Because in AL, she's a P-class cruiser... whereas Prinz Heinrich in WoWs will be an Ersatz Yorck class battlecruiser. In short, essentially speaking, they're two different ships, but same name... lol. :Smile_hiding:

As for the upcoming ship herself in WoWs... I have no idea, since we don't know her preliminary stats from WeeGee yet. I wager PEF could be a decent reference to how the entire line might feel like to play... but other than that, I got nothing, lel. :Smile_hiding:

I am excited for the whole line, and not just for Prinz Heinrich, at least. I must admit that I was quite surprised, because Germans are slated to get a whole new line, and not just a line split from the middle, or something... lul. :Smile_hiding:

The new slew of PR ships will likely be part of the Collab.

~Hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
816 posts

im just concerned that when they say they are WWI designs what they really mean is, we gave them sh*t pen and bad shells like PEF.  I seriously don't want a whole line of PEF's, rather have Sharn's.   Putting 1910 ships against 1970 Russian ships is kinda dumb to boot.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles
7 hours ago, JToney3449 said:

im just concerned that when they say they are WWI designs what they really mean is, we gave them sh*t pen and bad shells like PEF.  I seriously don't want a whole line of PEF's, rather have Sharn's.   Putting 1910 ships against 1970 Russian ships is kinda dumb to boot.

Thing is, the 1950s Russian botes, barring the Kremlin, can't protect themselves against the 420mm shells of the Tier 8, 9 and 10 ships. It's like a person asked why Yamato is facing off against 1950's ships. And the simple answer is, NOTHING in real life designed or built with 1950s experience can even afford to realistically take a hit from 46cm shells, their armour can't even protect themselves from their own guns.

~Hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
13 posts
1,654 battles

Am writing this after stats were revieled!

Speed is 28 knots

reload is 28 seconds, so 2 seconds faster than the Bayern. She has a 30 second turret  travers. 

She has two sets on torpedoes, one on each side. They are quadruple tubes, so four torps were side. They have 10KM range with a 50 knot speed. 

HP: 56300       21% torp damage reduction

They have fast damage control and standard heal. It also has a hydro which is very strong. 

If you download the official wows modstation and select the extended tech tree you can see this ship in port. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×