You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
madsgrandad

Research Bureau? Reset the line? sell my ships? what?!

58 comments in this topic

[TACOS]
Members
104 posts
8,953 battles

Maybe its just me, or my age, or my unwillingness to pay full attention...but I've read the details three times...and I still have no clue what this is all about!?

Research Bureau...reset a line...get points, all my ships are sold?

I honestly don't understand what I am supposed to do, what happens, and why? 

So, lets take my German line of BBs...I have all up to T10...and I can hit that button under the line, Reset.
All my boats are suddenly sold?  Even the ones I have scored as rewards, or ones I didn't have to buy?
I don't want to lose my special Bismark or any other specials I have acquired.

After reset I get some sort of points? what for? to rebuy them all?
Thats a lot of work, reapplying all equipment, modules, etc.

Or what are the points for then?...do I get enough money to rebuy all the boats again, with all the equip and upgrades?

Is this just meant for someone who doesn't like a particular line and wants to sell them, and try a different line?
I'm sorry, I don't understand.

I see a special upgrade for my Conqueror that I would like to buy...but apparently I need points that I can only get from resetting a line of boats?
Do I have to reset my British line to do that? or the points from the German line reset will work?

What happens to Captains...do they have to be retrained? 

LOL
Im sure everyone else understands this completely...I must be having a senior's moment.

• Cool 4

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,389 posts
29,467 battles

Look at tech tree.

Starting at Tier, trace up to tier 10.

All those ships on that LINE get reset, sold and you start at Tier 1.

Once you play tier 5to10 in that line, you get research points to use in the armory on the RB tab.

[CO-OP]
Members
5,205 posts
43,308 battles

When you reset a line every ship in that tree is sold.  Your captains go into a reserve pool.  If you have a unique upgrade that will be stored in your inventory.

In the example of the German BBs all of your battleships will be sold, along with the Kolberg, and Dresden.  All of the ship XP will be placed into the Hermelin.  

You then have to regrind each ship in the line.  Starting at t5 (e.g. Konig) you can get Research Points by playing it and either win or get a base 300XP in a game.  This only applies once per reset.  The number of RPs vary depending on the tier of the ship.  You can use Free XP to regrind a line.  If you do and don't play it to unlock the reward you can stack rewards (this is explained in detail in the wiki.)  A maximum of 10.2K RPs can be awarded if you grind an entire line again.  This number can be multiplied if this is your first reset in the season (3 month period.)

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,075 battles
3 hours ago, airdave said:

Research Bureau...reset a line...get points, all my ships are sold? (All ships from T1 to T10 in that line are sold...all camos & upgrades & signals go into the inventory so you can put them back on again later & all commanders go into the commander reserve & stay assigned to the ships they were assigned to).

I honestly don't understand what I am supposed to do, what happens, and why? (You can either regrind all of the ships or spend FXP to research them all...or a combo of both...your choice).

So, lets take my German line of BBs...I have all up to T10...and I can hit that button under the line, Reset.
All my boats are suddenly sold? (Yes) Even the ones I have scored as rewards, or ones I didn't have to buy? (Just the tech tree line ships...but yes...even the ones like Bismarck that could be earned through the campaigns all get sold & need to be either ground out or FXPed through).
I don't want to lose my special Bismark or any other specials I have acquired. (Although the ships are sold any special camos you have for them will be saved in inventory & be there to reuse once you acquire the ships again).

After reset I get some sort of points? (Not after you reset...you still need to grind/FXP the ships & you don't start getting the Research Bureau points until you run a battle... not just research but purchase & run a battle...in each of the T5-T10 ships) what for? (To spend in the Armory...there is a list of items...including some ships that can only be obtained through purchase with RB points as well as the upgrades you were talking about farther down & other things...but the RB only ships are the main draw) to rebuy them all? (No... you can't rebuy the tech tree ships with the RB points)
Thats a lot of work, reapplying all equipment, modules, etc. (Yes...yes there is. If you choose to go the FXP route you can reset the lines over & over again to accumulate lots of points & then when you purchase & buy the ships & run them you get all of the built up points at once while only needing to purchase them once).

Or what are the points for then? See the RB section in the Armory)...do I get enough money to rebuy all the boats again, with all the equip and upgrades? (Nope...gotta at least buy the boats again to run them for the battle& if you're grinding them out you have to buy all the modules...hull mods/gun range mods/etc...but again...all of your upgrades get sent to the inventory & you don't need to purchase them again...unless you used them on another ship & don't have anymore in stock.

Is this just meant for someone who doesn't like a particular line and wants to sell them, and try a different line?
I'm sorry, I don't understand. (You can use any line but CV lines are worth less RB points as they don't have as many ships to grind...all other lines give the same amount of points but the IJN gunboat line is the cheapest if you're just FXPing through).

I see a special upgrade for my Conqueror that I would like to buy...but apparently I need points that I can only get from resetting a line of boats?
Do I have to reset my British line to do that? (No) or the points from the German line reset will work? (Yes...they will. All RB points are created equal so anyway you acquire them...even if it's just from enough of the daily log ins...but it will take a long time to accumulate enough that way...but...they will do).

What happens to Captains...do they have to be retrained? (Stay trained for the ship they were assigned to before...unless you change them...& can still run the premiums in the mean time).

LOL
Im sure everyone else understands this completely...I must be having a senior's moment. (It's intentionally confusing...so don't take it personal).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts

Here is a video that explains in detail how the research bureau works.  It's a long video, half an hour, but it goes over every step of the process in full detail.  If you want to try the RB for the first time I suggest watching so you know exactly what you're getting into.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxZQ4l21EY

• Cool 3

[RLGN]
Members
19,148 posts
35,185 battles
33 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

When you reset a line every ship in that tree is sold.  Your captains go into a reserve pool.  If you have a unique upgrade that will be stored in your inventory.

In the example of the German BBs all of your battleships will be sold, along with the Kolberg, and Dresden.  All of the ship XP will be placed into the Hermelin.  

You then have to regrind each ship in the line.  Starting at t5 (e.g. Konig) you can get Research Points by playing it and either win or get a base 300XP in a game.  This only applies once per reset.  The number of RPs vary depending on the tier of the ship.  You can use Free XP to regrind a line.  If you do and don't play it to unlock the reward you can stack rewards (this is explained in detail in the wiki.)  A maximum of 10.2K RPs can be awarded if you grind an entire line again.  This number can be multiplied if this is your first reset in the season (3 month period.)

Pretty much this.

Without counting the bonuses you can get for unlocking your first five tier 10s, your first reset in a season, and a few points you can collect from the daily rewards, it can take as many as five line resets to actually accumulate enough points to get a ship from that part of the armory.

It’s not a required thing, so there’s no really reason to worry about it.

Also, it can use up a lot of your free xp if you take the easiest pathway, which was intentional on WG’s part.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[CO-OP]
Members
5,205 posts
43,308 battles

To clarify one point that @IfYouSeeKhaos made, upgrades such as Main Armaments Modification-1 will go into your inventory, but researchable upgrades (e.g. hull-B) will require you to re-grind and purchase again.

[T-D-M]
Members
168 posts
18,742 battles

Remember if you have sold your ship line/lines those ships are not available for events until they are purchased back and a qualifying match is played on them is my understanding, i.e. Snowflake event.

The Research Bureau is a way to get players to play/revisit lower tiers again to populate those tiers again. It also drains credits, free xp or real cash depending on how you go about the resets. The rewards are nice ships,  upgrades/unique upgrades and signals which you use your research points to purchase.

To participate in Research Bureau you have to have a minimum of five lines to tier 10. 

Good luck if you decide to try it.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet (or I missed it) is that no XP is lost. All XP on the ships that get sold and the XP that you originally ground out to get those ships, gets put on the T1 of that line. So if you reset, for example, the German Battleship line, you'll get close to a million XP added to your Hermelin, that you can theoretically exchange for FXP by spending doubloons. Or just ignore and grind out the line the old fashioned way. But the XP that went into the line originally isn't lost.

[WAIFU]
Members
91 posts
6,368 battles
10 minutes ago, Lert said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet (or I missed it) is that no XP is lost. All XP on the ships that get sold and the XP that you originally ground out to get those ships, gets put on the T1 of that line. So if you reset, for example, the German Battleship line, you'll get close to a million XP added to your Hermelin, that you can theoretically exchange for FXP by spending doubloons. Or just ignore and grind out the line the old fashioned way. But the XP that went into the line originally isn't lost.

Yep not "lost" but instead locked behind an overpriced paywall :)

• Cool 10
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 5

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,075 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Never realized that.

1 hour ago, Arctic_Chann said:

But for somebody that doesn't have any premium ships & never ran any boats beyond what was required to get them to elite status & only has minimum extra XP built up on their ships it means that if they decide to go the FXP route the XP to convert is guaranteed to be there.

[WHIPI]
Members
1,604 posts
18,727 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Do you still get a bonus of 20k ( or was it 10k) worth of RP if you have five tier X or more?  

Edited by db4100

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

Never mind the bonuses.

You take a tree 1 to 10. Select reset. That sells everything. All of it.

Then regrind the FXP and credits and buy and research the tree back.

When you play a Coop in T5 to T10 you are awarded a certain amount of RP.

Save enough buy a upgrade or buy a ship. Its a long term project. Been working on mine almost two years and upgraded a few ships. But now pushing for the Ohio. That will take another year of regrinding.

It takes 850,000 FXP and about 70 million credits saved in order to insta grind your T1 to T10 line.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles
36 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Do you still get a bonus of 20k ( or was it 10k) worth of RP if you have five tier X or more?  

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. There might be a one time bonus when you reset a line for the first time, but that was so long ago for me I don't quite remember for sure. There's also the quarterly bonus of double RB points that doesn't expire when the next season starts.

[_TEA_]
Members
36 posts
946 battles
On 7/10/2021 at 5:39 PM, airdave said:

What happens to Captains...do they have to be retrained?

As was mentioned earlier, they get sent to reserve and remain trained for the silver ship they came from.

A tip related to this: if you're going to regrind, it's a good idea to do the same line over and over, rather than lots of different ones; this allows you to maintain a decent captain for every ship you're going to actively play, and avoids having to spend lots of resources on the captain element of proceedings. For example, my regrind line (on the EU server) is the IJN torp DD one, and I have (I think) at least a 19 pointer on everything from T6 upwards - this makes each subsequent regrind a lot less painful.

Edited by Verblonde
  • Thanks 1

[CO-OP]
Members
5,205 posts
43,308 battles
59 minutes ago, db4100 said:

You should get 10,000 when you gain access to it.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,987 posts
5,224 battles
7 hours ago, Arctic_Chann said:

You mean it wasn't before the reset? 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,987 posts
5,224 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. There might be a one time bonus when you reset a line for the first time, but that was so long ago for me I don't quite remember for sure. There's also the quarterly bonus of double RB points that doesn't expire when the next season starts.

Simply qualifying gets you 10K RP.  Not that you can do a lot with 10K RP, but it's a start.

[P1]
Members
772 posts
16,238 battles

Research Bureau = Name for bank that trades Research Points.

Buy Research Points = Reset a line > acquire all the ships in the line again > get Research Points when playing 1 game from T5 and onward

Sell Research Points = Acquire RP ships like Ohio or Legendary Modules.

Simple

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

You mean it wasn't before the reset? 

It wasn't. Before the reset it was unredeemable because it was used to research the line.

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Simply qualifying gets you 10K RP.  Not that you can do a lot with 10K RP, but it's a start.

Right, thanks.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,987 posts
5,224 battles
14 hours ago, Lert said:

It wasn't. Before the reset it was unredeemable because it was used to research the line.

My point.

Complaining about the situation as if it were new with RB.

• Boring 2

[TACOS]
Members
104 posts
8,953 battles

Okay guys, I really appreciate all the answers and factoids here.
Thank you very much for the responses.

Yes, to those who questioned why I didn't fully understand....its a bit of both, laziness and confusion over the way things were explained
(No, I didn't hit the wiki...my bad).
I knew there had to be a financial reason on the side of the game devs, but theres a lot of info to go thru...and I was only interested in the benefits to me.

Other than a few minor rewards I don't have to have, there isn't a lot of benefit for me.
I don't want to grind it all again (even if I will have some help in advance - XP, modules, etc)
I'm happy with most of the boats I have and I enjoy playing high tiers and ranked...so losing those boats would take that away (for a time).

I don't need incentive to play low tiers...I have upgraded boats and I do it now, when I feel like it.

Sounds like too much work to bother with, I agree with those who basically suggested its all for nothing.

I am glad I stirred up a bit of discussion though...obviously I wasn't the only one who learned something.
Thanks again for being such a good community.

• Cool 2

[TACOS]
Members
104 posts
8,953 battles
On 7/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, Slimeball91 said:

Here is a video that explains in detail how the research bureau works.  It's a long video, half an hour, but it goes over every step of the process in full detail.  If you want to try the RB for the first time I suggest watching so you know exactly what you're getting into.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxZQ4l21EY

Thanks...already watched part of it...looks very well produced.  I'll finish it later.