You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Corvines

Got Steel and and Research Points.. Need help pulling the trigger

18 comments in this topic

[FFLY]
Members
3 posts
9,474 battles

So I'm on the fence on what ship combos I should get... As background I only have the Kremlin BB as of right now.. I do have the Worcester, Petropavlovsk and Yoshino CA's..  For DD's proud captain of the Shimakaze, Harugumo and Daring..  So what I'm thinking about scoring is:

1. Bourgogne with steel and the Vampire 2 with Research points..

or

2.  Austin With Steel and the Ohio with Research Points..

I really enjoy the the Dakka playstyle!  But don't want to limit myself and want to become a better player.. If there are any other ship combos you think would benefit my tiny fleet as of right now please chime in..

Edited by Corvines

Members
559 posts
12,364 battles
15 minutes ago, Corvines said:

So I'm on the fence on what ship combos I should get... As background I only have the Kremlin BB as of right now.. I do have the Worcester, Petropavlovsk and Yoshino CA's..  For DD's proud captain of the Shimakaze, Harugumo and Daring..  So what I'm thinking about is scoring is

or

I really enjoy the the Dakka playstyle!  But don't want to limit myself and want to become a better player.. If there are any other ship combos you think would benefit my tiny fleet as of right now please chime in..

Bourg is an animal in clan and ranked. In randoms it struggles due to its low hp but is still amazingly fun. I have a blast in her and will play her over any bb. Ohio is good too I just prefer bourg. Be careful with Austin. One might suggest making it your 2nd or 3rd steel ship. It's super fragile so it's been called high risk high reward. Vampire is just a different daring. You might want to watch some druid play on YouTube or even consider Colbert if you like dakka. Good luck!

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts

I was asking about thoughts on RB ships earlier this week, and someone reminded me about the recent mention of Kitakami.  If she interests you maybe hold off to see what happens in the next patch, the patch should drop next week.  I'm not convinced Kitakami will be coming out soon, and even if she does I expect it to be a prime choice for the auction.  That said, I'm holding back to see if there is any Kitakami talk in the next patch.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles
44 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I was asking about thoughts on RB ships earlier this week, and someone reminded me about the recent mention of Kitakami.  If she interests you maybe hold off to see what happens in the next patch, the patch should drop next week.  I'm not convinced Kitakami will be coming out soon, and even if she does I expect it to be a prime choice for the auction.  That said, I'm holding back to see if there is any Kitakami talk in the next patch.

Good point.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I own the Burger and plan to get the Ohio in due time.

No regrets on the Burger, just dont let too many reds get into your stuff with it.

Some of the RP points has been used in upgrades such as Advanced Ammunition Hoists on the Kurfurst and other ships along the way. RP points are easy to get to. Just regrind trees.

As far as Steel, Im finished with it. Two straight years grinding it and Im done with it.

Austin etc is very risky for you. If i catch someone in a austin, I drop everything to delete same. Poof. No more anklebiter.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Thanks 1

[USCC]
Members
3,911 posts
19,267 battles
2 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm not convinced Kitakami will be coming out soon, and even if she does I expect it to be a prime choice for the auction.  That said, I'm holding back to see if there is any Kitakami talk in the next patch.

This is sound advice, and I'll hold off myself, I was going to grab Bourgogne tomorrow, think I'll wait a bit.

Bourgogne.thumb.jpg.18b62e699707c41aa9a9b47356fe1e86.jpg
lol 3 steel.

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,986 posts
5,224 battles

Heck with the trigger.  Here, pull my finger.

So jelly.

Edited by iDuckman

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,579 posts
52 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

This is sound advice, and I'll hold off myself, I was going to grab Bourgogne tomorrow, think I'll wait a bit.

Bourgogne.thumb.jpg.18b62e699707c41aa9a9b47356fe1e86.jpg
lol 3 steel.

With the last sprint of this ranked season, I will be something like 13 days from Borg.  If they announce that Kita will be steel.....that will be a really difficult decision.  I mean, both will be had but....oy.

If nothing is said with the launch of 10.6, I will just grab Borg and start saving again.

• Cool 1

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,389 posts
29,459 battles
4 hours ago, Corvines said:

So I'm on the fence on what ship combos I should get... As background I only have the Kremlin BB as of right now.. I do have the Worcester, Petropavlovsk and Yoshino CA's..  For DD's proud captain of the Shimakaze, Harugumo and Daring..  So what I'm thinking about scoring is:

or

Bourgogne for Steel. Great and fun ship to play.

Ohio or Druid for RB points.

Ohio is a beast.

Druid is a blast to play, but is a thinking man's dd because of lack of torps.

I out gunned a Kleber and forced an Austin to back off. Killed a half health yammy and murdered a haragumo defending c cap in one match....

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,577 posts
17,526 battles

Of the steel ships, Bourgogne is probably the best choice as far as combat effectiveness goes (well, not counting FDR). Regardless of the mode, it's a great battleship but the lowest-in-tier health pool, smaller guns, and weaker armor mean she's not what I'd call an easy battleship to play. But if you know what you're doing, there are probably few battleships that should scare an enemy ship as much as a well played Bourgogne on a flank. If you're at all concerned about your stats, Bourgogne's average performance is still high despite its age (thanks to the high skill ceiling) and it will drag down your PR more than something like Stalingrad. To be fair, most steel ships are in that same boat for the first 6-12 months of their life, but Bourgogne is still not a great ship to stat farm in.

Austin's probably the more unique of the two by a slim margin, but as other have already said it's probably not a great pick for your first steel ship since it's more situational. I picked it up as my most recent steel ship and definitely don't regret it. But I wouldn't have gotten it first if I didn't have Bourgogne.

As for RB ships, the only one I have currently is Ohio, and it's a solid ship as a first pick for competitive or randoms use (co-op too, if you want to stomp some bots too). I have mine set up for brawling, sharing a secondary build with Mass and Georgia, but it can still work with a bog standard survival build (although I'd still use the secondary mod in slot 3 rather than the traverse mod). I don't have a lot of experience with Vampire II personally, but I know it's become a popular pick for clan battles since its release. I've seen some mixed feedback about Druid, either very positive or very negative, so I might want to avoid that one unless you know exactly how it plays and why you want it.

• Cool 1

Members
975 posts

I enjoy the Vampire II, but keep in mind that it IS NOT part of the British line. It's part of the Commonwealth line, and because that line isn't complete you can't use it in Naval Battles. Just a friendly reminder if Naval Battles is something that you and your clan care about.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,079 posts
14,769 battles

As an average player I would avoid the Austin. It is a beautiful ship to watch in the hands of a great player but average players will just get spanked. I bought my first steel ship and it was Bourgogne. I really like her.  Bought the Palio with research points and it is just hilarious to play. But kind of wish I had bought the Siegfried. Working up to that now.   As for coal, I got a lot of them and a lot of the good  ones are gone. However, I think the Neutra is one of the best DDs in the game and incredibly fun to play. Some say it is too expensive but coal is easy to get. 

[P1]
Members
772 posts
16,235 battles
On 7/10/2021 at 9:12 AM, Darmokattenagra said:

Bourg is an animal in clan and ranked. In randoms it struggles due to its low hp but is still amazingly fun. I have a blast in her and will play her over any bb. Ohio is good too I just prefer bourg. Be careful with Austin. One might suggest making it your 2nd or 3rd steel ship. It's super fragile so it's been called high risk high reward. Vampire is just a different daring. You might want to watch some druid play on YouTube or even consider Colbert if you like dakka. Good luck!

Nails it.

[ARPGT]
Members
1,266 posts
19,214 battles

Ohio is a beast but shell flight is more akin to the tech tree than Georgia which got cruiser dispersion. I struggle with consistency out of her mains. While she can tank she only has 4 guns to use. Secondaries are fun but end game stuff at t10

i really like the Borge. More battle cruiser than true bb. Switch shell a lot. He spam from range but as I close the range I use ap. Many are lulled to sleep with all the he and will show me broadside and find out those 15 in guns are more than effective. She has great AA, and speed. I live on the flank as she can’t tank

Vamprire is a fun dd. Mix of daring and German hydro. No heal makes you a little more passive about dmg. I find the creeping smoke/hydro protects me from torps and charges and with only 1 torp rack I use them when I have a big shot at hitting a bb and for ambush protection instead of  firing them when loaded

Austin. Woost isn’t my best ship and there seems to be a lot of similarities. Probably need a smoke dive to consistently make her work

Edited by wstugamd

[FFLY]
Members
3 posts
9,474 battles

Thanks for all the input Captains!!! Scored the Bourgogne... Still waiting on the RB points to spend... Leaning towards the Druid, but want to research more videos, and see what's up for next patch.. I'll keep ya posted thanks all... Oh BTW Borgogne is so so damn fun... !!!!

[SGSS]
Members
6,915 posts
On 7/10/2021 at 11:51 AM, Corvines said:

or

Ohio is great and will get removed first.

Bougonge loved and annoying to fight against.

• Cool 1