You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_BlackHawk4_

Has anyone experienced curving main battery shells?

26 comments in this topic

Members
373 posts
13,790 battles

Much like the documented torpedo bug, I though the first time it happened I was imagining things, aimed at a point, but  my shells flew wide of a stationary target. Well today it happened again, at point blank range took aim at a broadside Yamato and my rounds flew a long way in front of the ship. This happened when I was turning the ship. Clearly there is some problem here but just wondered if this had happened to anyone else.

• Funny 1

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

When for example i use the Z52 DD its forward turret with two guns will fire the first shot in a V pattern with the left gun always too far left. The next shot is more on target and then varies.

Thats RNG in action. Turns your guns into wet noodles. Some ships have such crappy dispersion that changes with every salvo I sold them off.

Edited by xHeavy

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts

If you believe your shots were not misses because of RNG, then the next most likely culprit would be the target lock.  You may have had your target lock on another ship.  There is an auto aim feature built into the target lock system.  When you lock onto a target your aim point will automatically jump to that ship, regardless of where your reticle is on screen.  You can see your true aim point on the mini map.  This becomes apparent when there are two ships somewhat close together, if you get a target lock on one and try to shoot the other one, your shots will miss because the auto aim is trying to hit the ship with the target lock. 

• Cool 1

Members
878 posts
20 battles

I'm having this problem too!  Literally every single shell I fire seems to curve, I fire it up in the air, and somehow it just arcs back down again.  Why can't they just go in a straight line?

• Haha 2
  • Boring 2

Members
373 posts
13,790 battles
26 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

If you believe your shots were not misses because of RNG, then the next most likely culprit would be the target lock.  You may have had your target lock on another ship.  There is an auto aim feature built into the target lock system.  When you lock onto a target your aim point will automatically jump to that ship, regardless of where your reticle is on screen.  You can see your true aim point on the mini map.  This becomes apparent when there are two ships somewhat close together, if you get a target lock on one and try to shoot the other one, your shots will miss because the auto aim is trying to hit the ship with the target lock. 

No I don't think so. I was point blank, 6kms or so, aiming right under turret 2 and the shots went flying forward of the bow. I was zoomed so was completely surprised I didn't delete him. I actually want to get replays working now to have a second look at just what happened, but I've no doubt I was target locked and aiming right at him.

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,574 battles

If you're zoomed in when shoot at close-range target, then your slight downward aim doesn't happen. That can throw the shells where you don't want them to. Ran into it before.

[MI-BR]
Members
265 posts
4,884 battles

I often see curved shots with my Omaha and Dallas. I assumed it was angular momentum or some math thingy because I was turning away full speed while shooting, and those ships shoot high over distance which makes it worse. 

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,796 posts
20,735 battles
2 hours ago, _BlackHawk4_ said:

I have no idea how to do that, but I'll try to work it out tomorrow.

look for the Game folder. Inside there will be a folder named 'replays'
your last 30 or so battles are there, listed by ship and map name as well as a date/time for when the files was created.

if you find it, you can upload it here in the forum

Edited by Lord_Slayer

Members
758 posts
16,358 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

I'm having this problem too!  Literally every single shell I fire seems to curve, I fire it up in the air, and somehow it just arcs back down again.  Why can't they just go in a straight line?

Play Russian boats, they have lasers 

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
2,307 posts

For me, it's always the port side guns, and when I'm traveling to the right,
and the enemy ship is traveling to the right.
The shells fly straight as an arrow, and at the last second they curve like crazy
and land behind the ship.
I'm always zoomed in when it happens.
It usually happens when the enemy has a fast ship, but not always.

Beta Testers
119 posts
25,449 battles

Yes, I have noticed this also, but as you are finding out, it does little good coming here to get an answer. Nothing anyone asks about anything cannot be a real thing unless you have a replay, even if other people have experienced the same thing. 

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
4 hours ago, Rothgar_57 said:

can you provide a replay?  I would love to see this.

While we wait on a replay, I believe I once saw something similar happen to @PhlyDaily, video below.

3 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Thats RNG in action. Turns your guns into wet noodles. Some ships have such crappy dispersion that changes with every salvo I sold them off

RNG doesn't cause direct changes in flight. Begins 10:15, also happens 11:02

Members
676 posts
8 hours ago, xHeavy said:

When for example i use the Z52 DD its forward turret with two guns will fire the first shot in a V pattern with the left gun always too far left. The next shot is more on target and then varies.

Thats RNG in action. Turns your guns into wet noodles. Some ships have such crappy dispersion that changes with every salvo I sold them off.

I've had the same issue but not with just the Z52.  I've seen my shells to do a V pattern missing the target completely.  Its very annoying and frustrating.   Usually, after a salvo or two my shells are landing near or at where I'm aiming.  I've always assumed it was bad luck or bad RNG but if other players are experiencing the same issue it could be a bug/glitch in the game.

EDIT:

I'm starting to notice this more often.  I just played a game in my Yueyang.  Stationary enemy DD and watched as my first 2-3 salvo's went to the left and right of my aiming point, completely missing my target.  By the time my rounds actually started to land at my point of aim, the DD was able to start moving to safety.  The player was able to dodge 95% of my shells without doing a single thing but just sit there.

Edited by HeadSplit120

[RSL]
Members
897 posts
13,665 battles

My guess is that this is a target lock issue. I've been having bugs where my target lock either doesn't switch to the new ship, or it is delayed by ~5s. It can be fixed by manually unlocking/locking, but when you are trying to get off a snapshot, sometimes I don't notice in time. 

Won't know for certain till OP provides a replay, but that's just my 2 cents.

[MHG]
Members
560 posts
7,299 battles

When firing at a close range DD in most ships, when they make a hard turn and you try to lead the target and shoot, the shells will seem to curve completely around the ship. This is because of the target lock camera follow feature, where your reticle will follow the enemy ship's movement. 

If you watch your shells in 3rd person view, they fly straight. 

[FRFR]
Members
1,675 posts
14 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

I was going to make that joke! :cap_book:

Seriously though, this seems like it would be easy to test in a training room.

[_V_]
Members
360 posts
28,239 battles

I do know this. Try firing at a ship about to hit an island. You see they are going to hit so you aim in front of the island. Then watch the shells land inland. WG in their wisdom lead the shot ahead of where you aim. Nice aren't they?

[_V_]
Members
360 posts
28,239 battles
56 minutes ago, _BlackHawk4_ said:

....the target lock dropped off just as I fired, it was probably the cause here.

working as intended

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles
22 hours ago, _BlackHawk4_ said:

Much like the documented torpedo bug, I though the first time it happened I was imagining things, aimed at a point, but  my shells flew wide of a stationary target. Well today it happened again, at point blank range took aim at a broadside Yamato and my rounds flew a long way in front of the ship. This happened when I was turning the ship. Clearly there is some problem here but just wondered if this had happened to anyone else.

Were you shooting at a DD?
Some DD Captain's have the "Dazzle" skill.

Icon_perk_trigger_spreading_dark.png

Dazzle

4 When your undetected ship is spotted, reduces the accuracy of hostile fire directed at your ship. When activated:
+20% dispersion of enemy shells fired at your ship for 15 seconds.
Shell dispersion is applied when the guns are fired.
[Synergy with the 6 second radar delay?]

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:List_of_Commander_Skills#Dazzle

Edited by Wolfswetpaws