You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
reza577

Italian battleship buff

25 comments in this topic

[-N-]
Beta Testers
270 posts
9,580 battles

Worse dispersion.

Worse gun reload time.

Worse gun range.

And the ship isn't tanky.

So WG before you pump out the next line and forget about the Italian bb line.Please buff them.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

[OPG4]
Members
1,203 posts
2,920 battles
56 minutes ago, reza577 said:

Worse dispersion

I am fine with the dispersion if it kills undetected DDs while I aim for spotted ships

• Funny 2

[KIA]
Members
3,839 posts
18,545 battles

Mh yes let's buff Lepanto and Colombo even more.

That being said, I will say Veneto definitely needs a buff

• Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
1,497 posts
4,854 battles

Andrea Doria is pretty solid. Keep in mind most T6 tech tree BB’s are just average to begin with, so the Doria isn’t meant to knock your socks off.

Francesco C. is amazing. One of the best battleships of the line. The guns are just insane for this tier. It’s armor geometry and lack of engine smoke are what keep it in check. 

Vittorio Veneto was rough. Sadly the 1.7 sigma buff didn’t go through while I was playing this ship (only the A hull got it), and I found the dispersion to be horribly unreliable. I dominate with the Roma, but the Veneto I really, really struggled with. 

Lepanto is an average ship in a favorable meta, performing well in T9’s more favored match making. I enjoyed it, but I’d take FdG, Soyuz, Izumo, or Alsace over it any day of the week. 

Colombo is a lot of fun, because who doesn’t like 16 pasta shooters and 360 degree turrets on a battleship? It also looks fantastic. It’s just not the easiest ship to play correctly imho. 

I think it’s one of the better lines, but it definitely fits WG’s more recent design philosophy of “Average.”

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,856 posts
12,319 battles

Italian BBs are in a very strange place. 

Main guns are under-caliber'd for their tier , their accuracy is absolute trash (reminds me of the old german accuracy) and the range is short. SAP is capped in damage vs DDs. 

..all because they fire SAP which is incredibly under-powered compared to HE since HE can set fires and ignores angle of impact to do high damage? 

But that's not all! The secondaries are useless. 90mm guns can't even penetrate DD armor so even IF this ship had the old secondaries accuracy they would still be useless. 

These ships should be changed, not outright 'buffed' simply to be functional for their team. 

Main Guns: 

- Keep their short range and give them soviet accuracy tables since the guns are so badly under-calibered. After all, italian BBs require a lot of similar gameplay to soviet BBs: got to get CLOSE. 

- SAP needs to have their cap damage vs DDs doubled. Simple reason is if a normal BB can do twice the damage italian SAP can by using AP or three times by using HE then why is italian SAP capped so badly?

Secondaries:

- 90mm secondaries need to be changed to fire AP and their penetration increased so it can pierce BB upper superstructure of equal tier. 

- Secondaries range has to be increased to match German secondaries range. Remember, the german bbs have ALL their secondaries as HE with much higher caliber hence they will ALWAYS outdamage significantly the italian secondaries..and since italians secondaries will be firing AP it means at longer ranges the italian secondaries wont be penetrating BB superstructure (but cruiser and DDs yes) so vs BBs they have to get closer. 

- Finally, italian BBs should have their own version of 'artillery plotting room' upgrade... it should replace the main gun + range upgrade (since the ship has to be short range BB) for a secondaries-centric equipment... one that acts like Yamato's unique upgrade allowing you to double-up the accuracy of secondary guns. 

• Cool 2

[BGA]
Alpha Tester
4,046 posts
32,986 battles

I actually just reset the line as I work toward Druid. My thought was maybe I just needed to grind the line to get a better feel for it instead of skipping through it because of the early access unlocks.

While I understand that SAP could be considered one of the most lethal armaments in game, being able to do full damage more often, I feel the design concept of the Italian BBs is far too over nerfed.

What really gets me about these ships is that they have peers far more capable to do damage without SAP. British BBs have crazy HE and Russian BBs have such good accuracy that even against a DD the amount of over pens can do considerable damage.

I feel as though Italian BBs might only excel at taking out cruisers but the amount of cruisers in most games in extremely lacking. 

[OGF]
Members
463 posts
9,764 battles
9 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

I am fine with the dispersion if it kills undetected DDs while I aim for spotted ships

Yeah, I find that careful aiming usually doesn't do the job but if you hail mary a quickshot somewhere over "thataway" it has a weird way of finding a tin can.  

[WOLFC]
Members
15 posts
9,482 battles
2 hours ago, Skuggsja said:

I actually just reset the line as I work toward Druid. My thought was maybe I just needed to grind the line to get a better feel for it instead of skipping through it because of the early access unlocks.

While I understand that SAP could be considered one of the most lethal armaments in game, being able to do full damage more often, I feel the design concept of the Italian BBs is far too over nerfed.

What really gets me about these ships is that they have peers far more capable to do damage without SAP. British BBs have crazy HE and Russian BBs have such good accuracy that even against a DD the amount of over pens can do considerable damage.

I feel as though Italian BBs might only excel at taking out cruisers but the amount of cruisers in most games in extremely lacking. 

I agree with this. To comment on your last sentence though...don't all BBs excel at taking out cruisers? heh

Members
117 posts
10,066 battles

It would be more realistic if the Italian Ships had bright Back-Up Lights, and a White Flag of Surrender. Just a suggestion. :cap_haloween:

[OPG4]
Members
1,203 posts
2,920 battles
7 hours ago, GEOCHUCKGEO said:

It would be more realistic if the Italian Ships had bright Back-Up Lights, and a White Flag of Surrender. Just a suggestion. :cap_haloween:

Also the ability to switch teams under 15% hp

• Funny 2

Members
827 posts
10,893 battles
15 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

Main guns are under-caliber'd for their tier , their accuracy is absolute trash (reminds me of the old german accuracy) and the range is short. SAP is capped in damage vs DDs. 

..all because they fire SAP which is incredibly under-powered compared to HE since HE can set fires and ignores angle of impact to do high damage? 

Battleship SAP is very powerful, because it never overpens. It's not an HE replacement, it's a better version of AP unless the AP was going to get multiple citadels.

- SAP needs to have their cap damage vs DDs doubled. Simple reason is if a normal BB can do twice the damage italian SAP can by using AP or three times by using HE then why is italian SAP capped so badly?

Iowa HE does 16.9k maximum to a DD and is subject to damage saturation, Lepanto SAP does 15k maximum and afaik is not. Yamato HE does 21.7k maximum, Colombo SAP does 20k. It's not really a big difference, Italian BBs are just a little worse against DDs because they don't break as many modules. If you double the damage they are far and away the best at killing DDs, Veneto SAP with double damage would do more damage to DDs than Thunderer HE.

- 90mm secondaries need to be changed to fire AP and their penetration increased so it can pierce BB upper superstructure of equal tier. 

- Secondaries range has to be increased to match German secondaries range. Remember, the german bbs have ALL their secondaries as HE with much higher caliber hence they will ALWAYS outdamage significantly the italian secondaries..and since italians secondaries will be firing AP it means at longer ranges the italian secondaries wont be penetrating BB superstructure (but cruiser and DDs yes) so vs BBs they have to get closer. 

why are you buffing secondaries? Italian BBs aren't designed to be secondary focused. Also BB superstructure is 19 mm, everything pens it with AP.

Members
676 posts

I wouldn't mind seeing a reload time reduction and maybe an accuracy buff if they keep the SAP capped.

During my grind up through the tree, I opted to never fire SAP, only AP.  On a few rare occasions when AP wasn't being effective, due to bad RNG or w/e, I switched to SAP.

They did get a small sigma buff if I remember correctly and it did help to get more consistent hits and a few dev strikes..

I wouldn't mind seeing a few small buffs.  The grind wasn't awful and I did enjoy the line.

4,630 posts
5,107 battles
22 hours ago, Ranari said:

Andrea Doria is pretty solid. Keep in mind most T6 tech tree BB’s are just average to begin with, so the Doria isn’t meant to knock your socks off.

Francesco C. is amazing. One of the best battleships of the line. The guns are just insane for this tier. It’s armor geometry and lack of engine smoke are what keep it in check. 

Vittorio Veneto was rough. Sadly the 1.7 sigma buff didn’t go through while I was playing this ship (only the A hull got it), and I found the dispersion to be horribly unreliable. I dominate with the Roma, but the Veneto I really, really struggled with. 

Lepanto is an average ship in a favorable meta, performing well in T9’s more favored match making. I enjoyed it, but I’d take FdG, Soyuz, Izumo, or Alsace over it any day of the week. 

Colombo is a lot of fun, because who doesn’t like 16 pasta shooters and 360 degree turrets on a battleship? It also looks fantastic. It’s just not the easiest ship to play correctly imho. 

I think it’s one of the better lines, but it definitely fits WG’s more recent design philosophy of “Average.”

Uh... the Tier 7 Italian Battleship's guns are amazing if they manage to hit something. I managed to kill a full health one in my my half health Scharnhorst because his dispersion completely screwed him over. Having 8 guns with the dispersion of Fusou and the reload of New Mexico really isn't helping.

~Hunter

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
6 hours ago, 4HizensTotalLandscaping said:

Battleship SAP is very powerful, because it never overpens. It's not an HE replacement, it's a better version of AP unless the AP was going to get multiple citadels.

Iowa HE does 16.9k maximum to a DD and is subject to damage saturation, Lepanto SAP does 15k maximum and afaik is not. Yamato HE does 21.7k maximum, Colombo SAP does 20k. It's not really a big difference, Italian BBs are just a little worse against DDs because they don't break as many modules. If you double the damage they are far and away the best at killing DDs, Veneto SAP with double damage would do more damage to DDs than Thunderer HE.

why are you buffing secondaries? Italian BBs aren't designed to be secondary focused. Also BB superstructure is 19 mm, everything pens it with AP.

SAP always overpens DD's...  or may as well as it does the same damage as AP... and with the poor accuracy of the ita bb's you have to pray for hits...

now SAP does no HE damage, or module damage to DD's either, so you can't take out their torp launchers or engine for example...

ITA bb's are gimped vs dd's.

BB sap needs a buff vs dd's, and it would be nice to see either an accuracy buff or reload buff...

[UN1]
Members
1,497 posts
4,854 battles
1 hour ago, Hunter_Steel said:

Uh... the Tier 7 Italian Battleship's guns are amazing if they manage to hit something. I managed to kill a full health one in my my half health Scharnhorst because his dispersion completely screwed him over. Having 8 guns with the dispersion of Fusou and the reload of New Mexico really isn't helping.

~Hunter

The Francesco is plenty accurate enough to hit its target. It’s no sniper, but its sigma did get buffed.

Go play the ship more than twice and come back and tell me what you think. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

4,630 posts
5,107 battles
20 minutes ago, Ranari said:

The Francesco is plenty accurate enough to hit its target. It’s no sniper, but its sigma did get buffed.

Go play the ship more than twice and come back and tell me what you think. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

It was in those two games where the accuracy frustrated me enough that I got rid of it. I have yet to be beaten by them, they can't hit the broadside of a barn. And what was the sigma buff, 1.5 to 1.6? Not enough

~Hunter

[UN1]
Members
1,497 posts
4,854 battles
19 minutes ago, Hunter_Steel said:

It was in those two games where the accuracy frustrated me enough that I got rid of it. I have yet to be beaten by them, they can't hit the broadside of a barn. And what was the sigma buff, 1.5 to 1.6? Not enough

~Hunter

Two games is not enough to build an honest opinion of a ship. 

4,630 posts
5,107 battles
36 minutes ago, Ranari said:

Two games is not enough to build an honest opinion of a ship. 

Not quite, however after having played a lot of T7 Battleships, I can tell, if it frustrates me in two games where it refuses to hit what I aim at, then it is not going to be a good ride. Couple that with an attrocious 32 second reload for its trash accuracy, it's not fun, it wasn't fun and I am most certainly not going to play 20 games in it to try and find fun.

~Hunter

[UN1]
Members
1,497 posts
4,854 battles
4 hours ago, Hunter_Steel said:

Not quite, however after having played a lot of T7 Battleships, I can tell, if it frustrates me in two games where it refuses to hit what I aim at, then it is not going to be a good ride. Couple that with an attrocious 32 second reload for its trash accuracy, it's not fun, it wasn't fun and I am most certainly not going to play 20 games in it to try and find fun.

~Hunter

Whatever you say, bud.  :)

Members
827 posts
10,893 battles
15 hours ago, SKurj said:

SAP always overpens DD's...  or may as well as it does the same damage as AP... and with the poor accuracy of the ita bb's you have to pray for hits...

now SAP does no HE damage, or module damage to DD's either, so you can't take out their torp launchers or engine for example...

ITA bb's are gimped vs dd's.

BB sap needs a buff vs dd's, and it would be nice to see either an accuracy buff or reload buff...

The large number of guns mostly makes up for no HE. SAP does a bit less damage to DDs than HE, but it doesn't saturate (SAP does significantly more than HE to saturated DDs) and you don't have to switch ammo. In reality you often don't get to switch to HE to shoot a DD, and battleship HE is worse than AP in most other circumstances so you're unlikely to have it preloaded.

The other part of the tradeoff is that you get SAP instead of HE against BBs and cruisers, and SAP is really good against those because it doesn't overpen.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
7 hours ago, 4HizensTotalLandscaping said:

The large number of guns mostly makes up for no HE. SAP does a bit less damage to DDs than HE, but it doesn't saturate (SAP does significantly more than HE to saturated DDs) and you don't have to switch ammo. In reality you often don't get to switch to HE to shoot a DD, and battleship HE is worse than AP in most other circumstances so you're unlikely to have it preloaded.

The other part of the tradeoff is that you get SAP instead of HE against BBs and cruisers, and SAP is really good against those because it doesn't overpen.

sap does no module damage, so it is worse than HE vs dd's  

[PHU]
Members
414 posts
7,398 battles

I ranked out in Francesco Caracciolo in the last ranked sprint. It feels really tanky in that small team environment. Lepanto and Colombo seem fine with how many guns they have. Also, Colombo's 360° turrets are insane. That being said, I'm not looking forward to taking out V. Veneto out in Randoms. I cannot make Roma work to save my life (props to those that can) and Macro Polo having Roma dispersion is disappointing. I've seen enough videos of its dispersion to make a hard pass on it. I understand the hesitation on making another powerful tier 9 that eventually gets pulled because it's over-performing, but there has to be a better way of balancing a BB than hammering its dispersion. It's frustrating to see someone broadside you only for the game to say "nah, not today."

Last week I made a mistake in my Azuma and a Veneto popped up behind an island and had my full broadside at less than 5 km. I saw the AP salvo and I thought "Well I deserve this," and nope. He only got 1 cit on me. It was so sad. Any other BB would've likely eaten me alive. We would've won either way, but still. I felt bad for the person.

Edited by Chozo_Elder

[KAG2]
Members
2,248 posts
36,999 battles

The VII is tanky, they only thing I think they need is uncapping the SAP. You got to aim differently that any other BB