You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
crazyrom

Please, let's answer what they are asking!

18 comments in this topic

[LRM]
Members
1,808 posts
18,064 battles

Frequently there are posts asking, which ship is better to get/buy/grind. Then some people respond: that is up to you, your decision, your playstyle, it's what you like best. It depends if you like BB or DD more. All those are useless and wrong answers. If someone is asking about a BB and a DD, they probably know how to play both. Otherwise, they would just buy the class they like more.

We need to respond to such questions as if everything else was equal. Topic starter likes BB and DD equally, his skill for them is equal, even assume that their price is equal, and we need to only answer about the difference between the ships themselves. If worried about giving wrong advice, just start your answer by saying "assuming that you like both classes equally and have same skill for both classes, [ ... ]. Such answers will help a lot more! :cap_like:

EDIT: looks like I was not clear enough. We DO NEED to explain why or in which cases ship A can be better than ship B. "Take ship A if you like brawling, take ship B if you like sniping". That is great. What we should never say is literally "depends on your personal preference", "it depends on what you like more". If a person is asking, they do not know what will they like or what the preference is, that is the point.

Edited by crazyrom
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[AFK-2]
Members
701 posts
6,232 battles
8 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

Frequently there are posts asking, which ship is better to get/buy/grind. Then some people respond: that is up to you, your decision, your playstyle, it's what you like best. It depends if you like BB or DD more. All those are useless and wrong answers. If someone is asking about a BB and a DD, they probably know how to play both. Otherwise, they would just buy the class they like more.

We need to respond to such questions as if everything else was equal. Topic starter likes BB and DD equally, his skill for them is equal, even assume that their price is equal, and we need to only answer about the difference between the ships themselves. If worried about giving wrong advice, just start your answer by saying "assuming that you like both classes equally and have same skill for both classes, [ ... ]. Such answers will help a lot more! :cap_like:

I do appreciate your sentiment and I've definitely experienced that myself. However, some information such as preferred playstyle do play a significant role in what ship to choose. A good example of this is back a year or so ago when people kept asking which to choose Georgia or Thunderer. Two very strong ships but with two completely different play styles, knowing what playstyle a player prefers/ is more comfortable with helps us give better advice. I'll use myself as example, between the two ships I just mentioned, Thunderer is the best choice for as I am not comfortable with the close/ midrange playstyle that Georgia excels at where as I was very comfortable with the sniping playstyle that Thunderer excels at.   

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,992 posts
5,224 battles
1 hour ago, crazyrom said:

Despite that your hypothetical stipulations are ridiculous, the uncontrolled factor is the answerer.  What does *he* like to play?  What were *his* experiences with the ships in question.

Just let people answer as they will.  And try to understand the answers given instead of trying to warp the equation.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles
1 hour ago, crazyrom said:

Sometimes they know the difference, but often they don't.

There are a lot of people who ask what line is best to start, which indicates they don't have experience. In that case we're doing them a disservice if we just recommend our favorite lines (which, let's be honest, is what we're going to do if asked for the best choice). It's far better to tell them the playstyles and let them choose which one they want to try.

And yes, sometimes we get people asking what premium ship is best. But again, the correct answer is what do you like to do. Because again, if we guide them to a ship that is good but has a playstyle they don't like then they're not going to like the ship.

And sometimes we get experienced players asking for advice. But these players usually tell us what ships they have and what they like to play. At that point then we can say what ships is best because we know their playstyle.

And assuming someone likes all classes equally and is equally good in them is dumb because that's not true for almost everyone. Everyone plays differently, there is no universal best ship and pretending like everything is objective is the wrong way to approach the issue.

And the reason we answer like that is because it's true. Despite all the whining the game actually balanced pretty well, with few exceptions there are no ships that are flat out better than the options. Best at a certain playstyle or situation, sure. But that gives different people different ways to play. Belfast is a great ship, but I play Boise in T7 Ranked despite having Belfast because I feel far more comfortable with the way that ship plays. There's no cookie cutter answer to the best ship question (if there was that's when you'd know the game was really going downhill) and so we don't give a cookie cutter answer to the question.

• Cool 1

[LRM]
Members
1,808 posts
18,064 battles
3 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

I do appreciate your sentiment and I've definitely experienced that myself. However, some information such as preferred playstyle do play a significant role in what ship to choose. A good example of this is back a year or so ago when people kept asking which to choose Georgia or Thunderer. Two very strong ships but with two completely different play styles, knowing what playstyle a player prefers/ is more comfortable with helps us give better advice. I'll use myself as example, between the two ships I just mentioned, Thunderer is the best choice for as I am not comfortable with the close/ midrange playstyle that Georgia excels at where as I was very comfortable with the sniping playstyle that Thunderer excels at.   

Perfect, you don't say "Georgia is better". You say "Georgia is better if you like X, but Thunderer is better if you like Y". What you don't say is "that is up to you, depends on what you like". It's literally that, many people respond like that.

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,583 posts
3 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

Perfect, you don't say "Georgia is better". You say "Georgia is better if you like X, but Thunderer is better if you like Y". What you don't say is "that is up to you, depends on what you like". It's literally that, many people respond like that.

It just depends on what you like.

[LRM]
Members
1,808 posts
18,064 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Sometimes they know the difference, but often they don't.

There are a lot of people who ask what line is best to start, which indicates they don't have experience. In that case we're doing them a disservice if we just recommend our favorite lines (which, let's be honest, is what we're going to do if asked for the best choice). It's far better to tell them the playstyles and let them choose which one they want to try.

And yes, sometimes we get people asking what premium ship is best. But again, the correct answer is what do you like to do. Because again, if we guide them to a ship that is good but has a playstyle they don't like then they're not going to like the ship.

And sometimes we get experienced players asking for advice. But these players usually tell us what ships they have and what they like to play. At that point then we can say what ships is best because we know their playstyle.

And assuming someone likes all classes equally and is equally good in them is dumb because that's not true for almost everyone. Everyone plays differently, there is no universal best ship and pretending like everything is objective is the wrong way to approach the issue.

And the reason we answer like that is because it's true. Despite all the whining the game actually balanced pretty well, with few exceptions there are no ships that are flat out better than the options. Best at a certain playstyle or situation, sure. But that gives different people different ways to play. Belfast is a great ship, but I play Boise in T7 Ranked despite having Belfast because I feel far more comfortable with the way that ship plays. There's no cookie cutter answer to the best ship question (if there was that's when you'd know the game was really going downhill) and so we don't give a cookie cutter answer to the question.

What I wrote was not clear enough, so I made an edit on the original post. We agree in most points.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,536 posts
29,693 battles
25 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

Ignore them. You'll never make them answer to the extent you want because they probably don't have the ship or understand the ship if they do have it.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
4 hours ago, crazyrom said:

EDIT: looks like I was not clear enough. We DO NEED to explain why or in which cases ship A can be better than ship B. "Take ship A if you like brawling, take ship B if you like sniping". That is great. What we should never say is literally "depends on your personal preference", "it depends on what you like more". If a person is asking, they do not know what will they like or what the preference is, that is the point.

You're making this issue more complicated then it really needs to be...

Now if you really want more detailed analyzes, we will direct you to @LittleWhiteMouse table of ships as your first guide...

SInce  telepathy has not been perfected by current mankind... Its really up to the one asking the questions,

• To seek more complicated questions to the right people and not at a general population.
  • To ask questions to the authors of those publications...
    • I know Mouse gets into it with the forum community over her reviews...
      • SHe will also clear up any confusion you may have...

Keep in mind, you have @Lord_Zath who will review a replay to see what you did wrong after you made your purchase...

Other then the points I noted above, I dont know what other support you want to give to a otherwise simple question... 

• I like chocolate what types of confectioneries do you recommend?
    • "Depends what type of chocolate do you consume?"
      • All kinds.
        • I recommend MOUSE"S Maple drizzled Canadian White Chocolate...

As a rule of thump... You dont get mad if you dont like what your bought... Not all ships are for everyone...

[FRFR]
Members
1,676 posts
2 hours ago, crazyrom said:

The biggest reason that you get these responses is because the person asking failed to provide any relevant context to their question, which greatly affects the answer.  Furthermore, the effort I put into my answer is usually proportional to the effort you put into your question.  If someone asks, “I’m looking to get a premium ship. Which is better - Atago or Massachusetts?” And that’s the entirety of their question, then I’m much more likely to respond with, “Do you like BBs or CAs more?”

[LRM]
Members
1,808 posts
18,064 battles
12 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

The biggest reason that you get these responses is because the person asking failed to provide any relevant context to their question, which greatly affects the answer.  Furthermore, the effort I put into my answer is usually proportional to the effort you put into your question.  If someone asks, “I’m looking to get a premium ship. Which is better - Atago or Massachusetts?” And that’s the entirety of their question, then I’m much more likely to respond with, “Do you like BBs or CAs more?”

My point is: if I like CAs more, I would automatically buy Atago. If I am asking between Atago and Mass, that automatically means that I don't prefer CAs to BBs not BBs to CAs. If I am asking between those ships, it automatically means: 1) I play both classes well enough (or willing to learn) 2) I like both classes equally enough.  What I am asking, is to treat such question (Atago or Mass?) as if they were SAME class. So the one who will answer, should concentrate on pointing good and bad characteristics, also on strategic things like "mass can be used in CBs and Ranked, Atlanta can not", etc.

When I was asking - what's better to buy with Free XP - Smaland or Alaska, I had like 10 stupid answers "uh, it's up to your preference" "depends what class you like more", and 1 guy pointed that Tier X can not be bought for money nor found in Containers, but T9 (Alaska) can. This alone was enough for me to finish my decision and I got Smaland. Soon enough Alaka was put on last days sale for doubloons and now I have them both.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
3 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

My point is: if I like CAs more, I would automatically buy Atago. If I am asking between Atago and Mass, that automatically means that I don't prefer CAs to BBs not BBs to CAs. If I am asking between those ships, it automatically means: 1) I play both classes well enough (or willing to learn) 2) I like both classes equally enough.  What I am asking, is to treat such question (Atago or Mass?) as if they were SAME class. So the one who will answer, should concentrate on pointing good and bad characteristics, also on strategic things like "mass can be used in CBs and Ranked, Atlanta can not", etc.

When I was asking - what's better to buy with Free XP - Smaland or Alaska, I had like 10 stupid answers "uh, it's up to your preference" "depends what class you like more", and 1 guy pointed that Tier X can not be bought for money nor found in Containers, but T9 (Alaska) can. This alone was enough for me to finish my decision and I got Smaland. Soon enough Alaka was put on last days sale for doubloons and now I have them both.

Already answered in post #9.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,528 posts
28,456 battles

Yes please send me replays if you're frustrated with your ship. I'm here to help! Link in signature.

Edited by Lord_Zath

[FRFR]
Members
1,676 posts
3 hours ago, crazyrom said:

I found your original post in the Alaska-Smaland thread you mentioned.  You stated the relative points of each ship, and even stated that you liked both CAs and DDs.  So in this case, I agree with you - those people posting “depends on which class you like more” aren’t adding anything, and should probably not post anything at all.  So just ignore them.  There are plenty of posts on this forum that should just be ignored, frankly. (And I’m sure there are people that just ignore my posts too!) Getting the information you want is like separating the wheat from the chaff.  In your case, you just needed that one nugget of information (that Alaska could be obtained by means other than FXP) to make your decision.  Even if all the lame posts had been well written, they may not have contained the info you needed, and it doesn’t matter, because you only really needed the one post.

[LRM]
Members
1,808 posts
18,064 battles
1 hour ago, SeaGladius said:

I found your original post in the Alaska-Smaland thread you mentioned.  You stated the relative points of each ship, and even stated that you liked both CAs and DDs.  So in this case, I agree with you - those people posting “depends on which class you like more” aren’t adding anything, and should probably not post anything at all.  So just ignore them.  There are plenty of posts on this forum that should just be ignored, frankly. (And I’m sure there are people that just ignore my posts too!) Getting the information you want is like separating the wheat from the chaff.  In your case, you just needed that one nugget of information (that Alaska could be obtained by means other than FXP) to make your decision.  Even if all the lame posts had been well written, they may not have contained the info you needed, and it doesn’t matter, because you only really needed the one post.

haha, I wrote that (that I like all classes, etc) because already knew they will write that "it depends". But many people are not that careful, and they receive a lot of useless "it depends". Then, good people who actually would respond useful info, see that thread already have 2 or 3 pages and give up, thinking "it is probably all answered anyway" and may not bother to reply, and we lose useful input.

• Cool 1

[FRFR]
Members
1,676 posts

Ha!  NGL, if I see a new thread with 4-7 pages already, I assume that it has devolved into two people with opposing viewpoints just endlessly restating their opinion, and I normally skip it.

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,325 posts
10,907 battles

I completely avoid "Which ship should I get?" threads like the absolute plague - because one thing I've learned over the years, opinions are like noses - everyone has one.

[LRM]
Members
1,808 posts
18,064 battles
1 hour ago, Retnav54 said:

I completely avoid "Which ship should I get?" threads like the absolute plague - because one thing I've learned over the years, opinions are like noses - everyone has one.

But it is worth to see what different people have to say, sometimes they raise points that you never thought about.