You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
odin909

When i think your getting better and then u look at WOWS stats & numbers ...

41 comments in this topic

[RCNW5]
Members
95 posts
6,714 battles

Hey all 

Well i felt like i was getting better found ships types i enjoy and all and then i look at my stats  on WOWS  ,  And its BAD  ,  .  I think the only progress i made is with my damage numbers .   I watch the streams , study ,  just not improving stat wise .    I am still a little under 2,000 battles, could that be it ., more time needed ?    Any advice would be great . 

[RCNW5]
Members
95 posts
6,714 battles

Dont know how to pull replays, will have to look into that .  I watch , flamu , flambass, mr gibbens and a few others .   noster ,   some other youtube guys

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles
4 minutes ago, odin909 said:

Dont know how to pull replays, will have to look into that .  I watch , flamu , flambass, mr gibbens and a few others .   noster ,   some other youtube guys

Under games, world of warships, there is a folder called replays. Click on that and submit a recent one you did. They are time stamped, so you should be able to use easily. Just highlight, right click, then paste here. Another way is to drag it over by holding the right button over the file and drag it to the thread comments box.

Watching them is useful information. But to get your answers, you have to ask them questions. Just be respectful in the asking and also, avoid spamming follow up questions. Spread them out while watching. Some streamers struggle with chat and game play at the same time. And you can easily create a misunderstanding by spamming too many questions. However, some actually don't mind. Just keep that in mind.

Streamers often have a favorite ship type or they play many. They are a useful resource, but not the only one. Your clan, other players playing a ship you like, and even CCs that post information here in technical terms fill in those gaps.

Remember, advice is free. But your time is not. 

As for your experience, that is subjective. It could be you have many things you do in real and this game is a fun thing to do. If you decide to be more serious, then engaging your clan mates in divisions helps. So does scrimmage matches in a training room with other players.

I wouldn't worry about the rough seas you go through at whatever battles you see as low in number. So long as you try to learn, the quality is always there. And like you said, your damage numbers are going up. 

There is always a Silver Lining...

It is just that if you sail alone, then no one will read your Playbook. (An analogy of sorts with a pun for reasons.)

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Cool 2

[T-D-M]
Members
168 posts
18,742 battles

It looks to me that you sampled many different ships up to about 10 matches then moved on. If you found ship types you enjoy then work on those ships. Ideally you should gain experience with them and be able to increases in stats with those ships. Now you want to move your stats up across the board so pick a poor stat ship and think about that ship. Study the ship, read reviews, watch videos and apply what you have learned. See if in a set amount time whether you can improve that ships stats. If not try another low stat ship. Keep playing your best ships at the same time. I personally use lists to follow when I do get to play. Div up with clan mates and work particular ships that compliment or supplement each other. Team work. Good luck. 😀

• Cool 1

[UNC]
Members
1,238 posts
7,459 battles

I don't know if this would work for everyone, but I don't pay much attention to my short-term stats.  I look for long-term trends:  long term improvement in damage/game, survival rate, win rate, etc.  Wins and losses can be very streaky in WoWS, so short term stats can get skewed badly.  As was mentioned above, you will probably have better success if you stick with a few ships and learn them rather than skipping around.  Another thing you can do if you get replays sorted out and are interested is submit them for analysis by @Lord_Zath ; he reviews replays and provides advice for improvement.

Stick with it, this game has a pretty steep learning curve.  Most players don't really start to improve until a few thousand games in.

• Thanks 1

[RCNW5]
Members
95 posts
6,714 battles

Good ideas guys !!  Yeah i do move on from ships,  i notice that now u have said it .  I will try and stick to a few ships i like and improve on them .  

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,075 battles
32 minutes ago, odin909 said:

Good ideas guys !!  Yeah i do move on from ships,  i notice that now u have said it .  I will try and stick to a few ships i like and improve on them .  

If a single ship gets boring after awhile (or just so you don't get locked on to a specific ship & have a harder time transitioning later) try sticking to similar ships...

Like just run all torp DDs/or all gun DDs/or all heavy hitting heavy armored BBs/or quicker but lighter armored faster firing BBs/or all light cruisers/or all heavy cruisers/or all battle cruisers if you have a bunch of them.

CV at your discretion.

[MUTNY]
Members
96 posts
20,751 battles
2 hours ago, odin909 said:

Hey all 

Well i felt like i was getting better found ships types i enjoy and all and then i look at my stats  on WOWS  ,  And its BAD  ,  .  I think the only progress i made is with my damage numbers .   I watch the streams , study ,  just not improving stat wise .    I am still a little under 2,000 battles, could that be it ., more time needed ?    Any advice would be great . 

It takes some time! It took me well over 5000 battles before I even broke 50%

• Cool 1

Members
546 posts
On 7/9/2021 at 2:54 PM, odin909 said:

Hey all 

WOW MM will always push you to 50% no matter how good you get.  Accept that early.

Edit to add:

US8870644B2 - Dynamic battle session matchmaking - Google Patents

Repetitive play can often lead to players becoming bored with a particular game. In addition, if a player finds a game too hard or too easy, the player may become frustrated or bored, and cease playing prematurely... the present invention [patent] is directed to methods and systems for performing matchmaking in a multiplayer online video game.

And, since we'll never have access to live game code, now cue the WOW shills to say, "But, there's no proof Wargaming uses their patent.".

Edited by nhf
  • Meh 5

[CVRME]
[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,942 posts
10,652 battles
2 hours ago, nhf said:

WOW MM will always push you to 50% no matter how good you get.  Accept that early.

This is simply not true.  So many players with tons of battles well above 50%, and below.  Random battles are just that, random.  And you as a player can influence it more times than not.  Believing this is just a way to protect your own ego from realizing you've had a detrimental negative impact to yourself and everyone around you in every match.  

Which isn't too surprising, most players think that way.  This game immortalizes the term  "Manchild" after all.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles

Nice profile image :Smile_honoring: I rather not look at my stats :fish_sleep:

• Cool 1

[CAZA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
587 posts
8,785 battles

Hey

The best advice I can give you is: stay alive for a little longer. I've checked your stats and your survival rate is 22% over 1800ish games, that's low. Keep yourself alive, even if that means getting insulted by some folks in chat (Don't pay attention to them, you do your own thing). By staying alive for a little longer, you'll find a lot more opportunities to increase your damage. You stop being a threat the moment you die. So take up a position in a secondary line and do so without shame, observe the minimap and be patient when shooting (especially if playing BBs), sometimes it's better to wait for your opponent's mistake. Play defensively as well, sometimes it's better to save up hp for future engagements, also learn when you have to stop shooting to go dark, especially if you're going to make a risky move.

Warships is a game about patience, like a few games ago with my Yamato the game started pretty slow, barely 50k done in like 6 minutes. After some good positioning, kiting and good target selection I was up in the 200k territory and a win was in the bag. It's all about making your shots count, it's all about being patient and staying alive so you can impact in the outcome of your match. It takes time and practice, but eventually you'll do it!

• Cool 2

[BONKS]
Members
506 posts
10,760 battles
2 hours ago, nhf said:

HMMMM

I certainly wonder how certain players have gotten 60%+ solo winrate.

Surely that isn't possible if every game was a coinflip

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
5 hours ago, odin909 said:

Hey all 

I started taking note of my stats just last year, and I think I made progress. My damage numbers has increased from 30,000 to 33,000. And my win rate has also increased from 39% to 40%. 

[TDRB]
Members
7,359 posts
16,186 battles
5 hours ago, odin909 said:

Hey all 

There is a lot a person can learn from the better players, which will improve their game. However, this game does have random factors which impact your stats. The normal distribution pattern usually keeps us close to the middle.

But the curve does taper to the extremes. You can find yourself playing very well over a week's worth of games but due to those random factors, your stats will suffer. 

Don't place too much emphasis on stats.

Members
1,030 posts

Damage doesn't equal wins

Effective damage equals wins.

Farming damage is just that. Damaged farmed. Farming damage can mean anything from farming one target like a bb to farming multiple ships and taking people out of the fight by stealing their ability to make an impact due to low health.  This is why often people complain about their teams while having good damage stats. In general, you wanna aim for doing effective damage which is: damage on targets that can influence the game like destroyers and cruisers, and or any strong ship or player. You should try to do more damage in general. But only good players and those in a div can understand how and when to farm damage and win at the same time. You should try practicing mechanical aim and over time you will naturally get better at the game by playing it long enough. Try picking a ship and learning what it can do and what it can not do.

Edited by ThiccLoliThighs

[-N-]
Beta Testers
270 posts
9,580 battles
8 hours ago, odin909 said:

Hey all 

You planning on going pro?

Got your eye on the millions WG has set out for the annual prize money?

Oh wait that's league of legends and Fortnite. Lol. I think the most WG ever put as prize money for a competition was a couple of thousand $.

This is a pay to win game with a dying player base.both L and F.

Play for fun.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,604 battles
14 minutes ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

Take it easy.

It has always been that case, happiness OR stats

Why not both? 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles

When I was at around 1200 Random Battles, I had an atrocious 43% Win Rate.  After some game where I got deleted again, stat padding someone else's stats, I got tired and made a concerted effort to improve.  It was a long slog to get to 56.5% WR.

I never initiated a thread asking for help.  What I did were several things:

- I read a lot of threads and took note of information about game mechanics.  For example, for years I never knew what "Overmatch" was.  People mentioned it a lot on the forums but I never saw a post explaining what it was until much later.  Stealth / Spotting, Overmatch, Fires / Floods, Angling / Bow On Tactics for the right occasions, etc.  When I was newer I had this really, really stupid idea that if I slowed my ship down, fires would burn out quicker.  I remember in a Random Battle game someone asking me why I crawling at a snail's pace in my Nagato.  I told him why, "Slowing down to let the fires burn out earlier."  I'm sure my teammates were confused as sh*t about my reply.

- If I got rekt, or lost a game and are confused as to why, I exited the game and watched the replay.  I needed to find my mistakes.  Look, expect to get outplayed by someone out there, that's fine.  But it's another if you do stupid mistakes to present yourself on a silver platter to the enemy.  It's hard enough fighting competent opponents, it's even harder if you make it easier for them to nail you.  There's a lot of details that you may miss during the rush of battle, details that have huge ramifications.  Caught them them on replays and learned from them.  I was at a point that if I got rekt and had no idea what just happened, cannot give an honest self assessment, it was a good time to watch the replay.

- Watch what other players do and learn from their successes and mistakes.  After I get sunk, I'd spectate the rest of the match.  I'd move over to what seems to be a crucial part of the match and watch what players do.  Consider what moves you would do if you were in a certain player in a key situation.  Watch what they do and learn from their successes and failures.  There's also watching some good players in YouTube or whatever.  Watch what they do to try to win.

Look, marksmanship between players?  There's not a big difference.  If I presented my Cruiser's broadside to a typical Battleship player, I expect to be punished for it.  The difference from the good and bad players is they put their teams in winning positions.  They put the enemy players in difficult spots.

- Dealing a lot of damage is nice and all, but is it decisive damage?  What's worth more to the team?  Farming 100k shell and Fire damage off some Battleship in the back that are going to heal all that damage back anyways?  Or dealing 40k worth of damage to enemy Destroyers? :cap_yes:  You can top the match BaseXP rankings for both teams and deal mediocre damage.  You can deal an absurd amount of damage and still not be competitive in the game.  There was a game long ago when I was in a Tier X 3 ship Division.  I was playing Montana and my buddies were playing either a combination of Zao, Hindenburg, or Henri IV.  On Discord, I heard my buddies talking about the big numbers of damage they were farming off Battleships, setting them ablaze.  They were around 180k, 200k damage and climbing.  My Montana?  I wanted to shoot up some ships in the distance, but there was some critical stuff happening in front of me:  Our DD players were having a helluva battle as they were poking around and finding enemy Destroyers.  Enemy DDs were getting spotting 12-15km from my Montana.  I knew that if I can get some damage in, it could possibly help my team's DDs have an easier game.

If your team's DDs have an easier game, chances are, your team is going to win.

So instead of attacking my BB counterparts or some Cruiser off at range, I hammered Destroyers all game.

We won and I topped the BaseXPs easily for both teams.  My Div Mates said they farmed a sh*t ton of damage and wondered how in the hell I got so much BaseXPs.  I told them I only got about 40k damage.

Them: "You were shooting up DDs, weren't you?" :Smile_veryhappy:

- I had to learn a very healthy balance of Aggression and Caution.  Both are needed more than the other at certain times.  Excessive Aggression gets you rekt in terrible ways, or puts you in focus fire by 3, 4 or so ships.  Excessive Caution can mean your ship is nowhere useful.  You need to find a balance of the two.  You're better to your team alive, but you can't be somewhere where you're useless.

=====

Again, it was a long, slow grind to get a decent stat line.  I remember feeling great when I finally went from 43% WR to just reaching 50%.

=====

This is just what I did to improve in the game.  It's possible.  This isn't the only way to get better, maybe you can take a thing or two I did and try it yourself.  You can also make threads asking for help.  Describing what happened in a post isn't enough as people can easily leave out crucial details about what happened.  Sometimes people just don't want to make known they did something to screw a situation up.  But if you put up a replay and attach it to post, people can download it.  Good players can examine what happened and give you pointers.

If you make an post adversarial in tone, you will get adversarial replies.  If you make a help thread and asking what you can do to get better, you will get better answers.  Hey, I get the frustration at times, but clear the head, put the replay up, and see what players find.  Sometimes you need a different set of eyes to catch what went wrong, what you can do to get better.

Remember this:  Spamming the "BATTLE!" button and piling on the amount of battles you've played will not make you a better player.  If you are making bad plays, bad mistakes, and not even realizing it, repetition of those bad habits will only become even more permanent and harder to break.

Replays:  There's a specific folder for them in your WoWS directory.  For example mine is at: C:\Games\World_of_Warships\replays

kTpacn4.jpeg

When you double click on them for the first time, windows is going to ask what application to use to open them with.  Go back to the main game directory and use WorldOfWarships app as the default to open them with.

OopKlgC.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Members
1,872 posts

Not sure OP whether you have watched this series yet, but it is pretty good to get you on the right path:

The most important thing is to understand that you make mistakes and be honest about it, not just to other but yourself. If you die in some spot, try to think about it and figure out why you got sunk and what would have been a better play. Trying things out and failing is ok, but if you do the same things and follow the same patterns all the time, just to fail again and again, that is not OK.

Also, accept that you won't magically go from 45% to 55%, it will take time. Work on one aspect at a time, take a T6 DD, CA, BB etc. and try to get decent in it. No need to get good or amazing in it, but try to get it to the point that you are a net benefit to the team.

I'd start with looking at the game mechanics in a detailed way, trying to learn and understand them. From there you can look at tactics to use them in certain situations to gain the upper hand in 1v1 or direct engagements on your flank. Once you are confident in that, focusing on situational awareness and predicting the game flow is the next step. Basically going from reacting to developments, to predicting them 60s-120s in advance and acting procatively. 

Best of luck on your journey!

• Cool 1

[RCNW5]
Members
95 posts
6,714 battles

Torenco ...  Good idea  didnt even think of that,  i do seem to be staying alive more, but thats a great point of advice .  

Hazegrayunderway ,   sorry for making a thread for help  , what was i thinking ?  Why did u even bother to reply ????

everyone else thanks some great advice !!!!!!!!!

[RCNW5]
Members
95 posts
6,714 battles
7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

When I was at around 1200 Random Battles, I had an atrocious 43% Win Rate.  After some game where I got deleted again, stat padding someone else's stats, I got tired and made a concerted effort to improve.  It was a long slog to get to 56.5% WR.

I never initiated a thread asking for help.  What I did were several things:

- I read a lot of threads and took note of information about game mechanics.  For example, for years I never knew what "Overmatch" was.  People mentioned it a lot on the forums but I never saw a post explaining what it was until much later.  Stealth / Spotting, Overmatch, Fires / Floods, Angling / Bow On Tactics for the right occasions, etc.  When I was newer I had this really, really stupid idea that if I slowed my ship down, fires would burn out quicker.  I remember in a Random Battle game someone asking me why I crawling at a snail's pace in my Nagato.  I told him why, "Slowing down to let the fires burn out earlier."  I'm sure my teammates were confused as sh*t about my reply.

- If I got rekt, or lost a game and are confused as to why, I exited the game and watched the replay.  I needed to find my mistakes.  Look, expect to get outplayed by someone out there, that's fine.  But it's another if you do stupid mistakes to present yourself on a silver platter to the enemy.  It's hard enough fighting competent opponents, it's even harder if you make it easier for them to nail you.  There's a lot of details that you may miss during the rush of battle, details that have huge ramifications.  Caught them them on replays and learned from them.  I was at a point that if I got rekt and had no idea what just happened, cannot give an honest self assessment, it was a good time to watch the replay.

- Watch what other players do and learn from their successes and mistakes.  After I get sunk, I'd spectate the rest of the match.  I'd move over to what seems to be a crucial part of the match and watch what players do.  Consider what moves you would do if you were in a certain player in a key situation.  Watch what they do and learn from their successes and failures.  There's also watching some good players in YouTube or whatever.  Watch what they do to try to win.

Look, marksmanship between players?  There's not a big difference.  If I presented my Cruiser's broadside to a typical Battleship player, I expect to be punished for it.  The difference from the good and bad players is they put their teams in winning positions.  They put the enemy players in difficult spots.

- Dealing a lot of damage is nice and all, but is it decisive damage?  What's worth more to the team?  Farming 100k shell and Fire damage off some Battleship in the back that are going to heal all that damage back anyways?  Or dealing 40k worth of damage to enemy Destroyers? :cap_yes:  You can top the match BaseXP rankings for both teams and deal mediocre damage.  You can deal an absurd amount of damage and still not be competitive in the game.  There was a game long ago when I was in a Tier X 3 ship Division.  I was playing Montana and my buddies were playing either a combination of Zao, Hindenburg, or Henri IV.  On Discord, I heard my buddies talking about the big numbers of damage they were farming off Battleships, setting them ablaze.  They were around 180k, 200k damage and climbing.  My Montana?  I wanted to shoot up some ships in the distance, but there was some critical stuff happening in front of me:  Our DD players were having a helluva battle as they were poking around and finding enemy Destroyers.  Enemy DDs were getting spotting 12-15km from my Montana.  I knew that if I can get some damage in, it could possibly help my team's DDs have an easier game.

If your team's DDs have an easier game, chances are, your team is going to win.

So instead of attacking my BB counterparts or some Cruiser off at range, I hammered Destroyers all game.

We won and I topped the BaseXPs easily for both teams.  My Div Mates said they farmed a sh*t ton of damage and wondered how in the hell I got so much BaseXPs.  I told them I only got about 40k damage.

Them: "You were shooting up DDs, weren't you?" :Smile_veryhappy:

- I had to learn a very healthy balance of Aggression and Caution.  Both are needed more than the other at certain times.  Excessive Aggression gets you rekt in terrible ways, or puts you in focus fire by 3, 4 or so ships.  Excessive Caution can mean your ship is nowhere useful.  You need to find a balance of the two.  You're better to your team alive, but you can't be somewhere where you're useless.

=====

Again, it was a long, slow grind to get a decent stat line.  I remember feeling great when I finally went from 43% WR to just reaching 50%.

=====

This is just what I did to improve in the game.  It's possible.  This isn't the only way to get better, maybe you can take a thing or two I did and try it yourself.  You can also make threads asking for help.  Describing what happened in a post isn't enough as people can easily leave out crucial details about what happened.  Sometimes people just don't want to make known they did something to screw a situation up.  But if you put up a replay and attack it to post, people can download it.  Good players can examine what happened and give you pointers.

If you make an post adversarial in tone, you will get adversarial replies.  If you make a help thread and asking what you can do to get better, you will get better answers.  Hey, I get the frustration at times, but clear the head, put the replay up, and see what players find.  Sometimes you need a different set of eyes to catch what went wrong, what you can do to get better.

Remember this:  Spamming the "BATTLE!" button and piling on the amount of battles you've played will not make you a better player.  If you are making bad plays, bad mistakes, and not even realizing it, repetition of those bad habits will only become even more permanent and harder to break.

Replays:  There's a specific folder for them in your WoWS directory.  For example mine is at: C:\Games\World_of_Warships\replays

kTpacn4.jpeg

When you double click on them for the first time, windows is going to ask what application to use to open them with.  Go back to the main game directory and use WorldOfWarships app as the default to open them with.

OopKlgC.jpg

Are you talking to me , i have no idea what you mean , my thread was not   adversarial in tone ,     

[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,604 battles
42 minutes ago, odin909 said:

Are you talking to me , i have no idea what you mean , my thread was not   adversarial in tone ,     

There was a lot of useful advice in the rest of the post about becoming a better player . The adversarial bit was some forum advice for future topics I would think.