Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
16inchYeetCannon

Ranked Newb Question

10 comments in this topic

[OHGEE]
Members
28 posts
3,308 battles

Is qualifying in ranked that hard?

I don't have any T8s, so I can only play in bronze, but the rules say that if I could get to silver, I stay in silver for the season.  So why do I see so many players with 15,000 matches and level 21 captains playing in bronze?

Are they just after steel?  Seems like a fool's game. I mean, silver gets MORE steel (though it takes 3 more wins to do that)  But even maxing out for a season, you're gonna need 4 seasons just to buy the cheapest steel ship...

What am I missing?

Edited by 16inchYeetCannon

[AFK-2]
Members
699 posts
6,232 battles

The real reason why people stay in bronze is so that they can play their tier 7 ships without having to face tier 9s. That and the fact that ranking out in bronze and then qualifying for silver is a lot more trouble than some people think its worth for the extra steel. I personally don't think that ranking out in Bronze is that difficult but qualifiers can be a pain (you have to get 5 starts effectively to qualify for silver) especially if you are are only average like me. 

Edited by cheekywarship2018

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,075 battles
2 hours ago, 16inchYeetCannon said:

I don't have any T8s, so I can only play in bronze, but the rules say that if I could get to silver, I stay in silver for the season.  So why do I see so many players with 15,000 matches and level 21 captains playing in bronze?

Are they just after steel?  Seems like a fool's game. I mean, silver gets MORE steel (though it takes 3 more wins to do that)  But even maxing out for a season, you're gonna need 4 seasons just to buy the cheapest steel ship...

What am I missing?

You're missing the fact that Ranked used to be a much longer grind to get much of any steel at all & what you get now just for bronze is a lot more than what many players used to get because they didn't like the grind of the older system.

Especially if they don't play clan battles which is where the most steel can be accumulated from.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
3 hours ago, 16inchYeetCannon said:

No, just can take some perseverance.

I'm probably imagining this, but it seems that, once I find the correct ship, I can blast through qualifying without a loss.

But the correct ship is different every time, finding which one it is is what takes the time for me. Last time it was Gearing, this time Pommern.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

In the old Ranked there was no bronze silver or gold. What you were faced with was like 20 something ranks until rank one. No quals [edited] etc either.

I actually ranked out once at rank 1 in the old form prior to the ranked rework some months or a year ago. Have the pirate flag from that.

The new ranked I got Bronze then Silver then Gold. In Gold the Toxicity of the hoity toity insufferable teammates is breathtaking.

Stay in silver where it's fun. In those days Steel was the goal weekly you got 600 for bronze and 800 for silver all season. Thats thousands of steel just playing. NOT. TO RANK OUT.

In the current season the Scharnhorst at VII among other ships are very lethal even secondaries work with a 21 commander in her. You can with special 21's swap them from ship to ship of the same nation many times without retraining. Rake in the ECXP and FXP etc. Credits too.

Essentially farm Ranked for the steel. Everything else is just 50 weight gravy to be sopped up. However the toxicity in Gold is very  destructive and should be avoided entirely.

[OHGEE]
Members
28 posts
3,308 battles
2 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Qualifying is easy because you just need to get an isolated win streak.

As opposed to those isolated losing streaks.  You know the ones - you do your best but die in the first few minutes from some island-lurking DD that nobody spotted. Ever. And then, at the end, you find out you were still the top scorer...

• Cool 1

Members
92 posts
3,437 battles
3 hours ago, 16inchYeetCannon said:

What am I missing?

One of the reasons is prolly because tier 6 to 7 is kind of a sweet spot where you don't have the kind of power creep ships running around that you see in tier 9 and 10(Most obvious examples being the BalanceGrad soviet ship series, People's Commisar of firebombing Balance Balanskovich Smolensk, and the abomination that is the Thunderer), at tier 6 and 7 ships line's start getting into their own and getting their gimmicks to play around with, tier 7 in particular.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
13 hours ago, 16inchYeetCannon said:

As opposed to those isolated losing streaks.  You know the ones - you do your best but die in the first few minutes from some island-lurking DD that nobody spotted. Ever. And then, at the end, you find out you were still the top scorer...

Those aren't so bad though, because at least then you don't lose a star.....

[_JAG_]
Members
9 posts
11,283 battles

Yes reaching rank 1 in bronze can be difficult. The problem comes when your teammates absolutely suck (or aren't taking it seriously?) and get wiped out quickly. That leaves the decent players with no hope of winning but only one of them can save their star. I have had an infuriating number of games with a team of useless clowns and one other good player, scored a ton of damage and still lost a star because the other good player scored 20 or so more xp than I did. I think they need to tweak the progression a little to make it less frustrating.