You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Igiby100

Can CVs rocket slingshot now?

6 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles

When you drop the rockets, your planes are immune to AA fire while the animation takes place. However, the aircraft not dropping rockets keep moving. Can this be used like slingshot bombers?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles
2 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

When you drop the rockets, your planes are immune to AA fire while the animation takes place. However, the aircraft not dropping rockets keep moving. Can this be used like slingshot bombers?

Probably, but I'm not sure how useful it would be, if at all.

Rocket planes have a significant standoff needed to make an attack so you'd be doing the slingshot to near the outside of the AA range, and then you'd eat most of the AA on the way in. With the most fragile aircraft on the CV.

It worked for dive bombers because they needed to be on top of the target to work, so you skipped the outer layers of AA and just faced the point defense for the attack itself.

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,148 battles

Actually, I use it to spot the DD. I start the attack early and start the attack with the immunity so I don't get shot down.

It worked great in a few games in Midway. If I happen to sink a DD with the rockets then it's all bonus.

So, I use rockets as a spotter and it is deadly effective. 3 passes early attack and a DD can't do anything with their AA.

It is because WG gave the rocket planes immunity in the first place during attack spin up that I saw it as a dubious exploit.

For once, I decided to not keep this one to myself.

Although, Flambass would discover this eventually. He did find the rocket snipe from behind islands for German CVs after all. I was toying with that some before he went public. It was fun while it lasted.

Flambass can probably find the Holy Grail  if someone just asked him, for all I know.

Yeah, OP, there is a neat trick with it and it really annoys DDs because you are spotting them with no penalty. They have weak AA in some tech trees. And while others snap DFAA at the mere site of rockets, some players save it for HE bombers. It is where they make a tactical error. They think I am attacking with rockets, but I am using the immunity time to spot them.

Cruiser and BB players love it when a CV spots.

This may prove to be an efficient tool for CV players of the German line. Because they can hover over a DD and get away with it.

DD players asked for a rocket nerf, but may have lost their stealth advantage after all.

It's the Spot-Apocalypse Now redux. 

"I love the sound of DDs complaining about getting spotted, after complaining about rockets and then WG nerfed them."

It sounds like Balance..

Now where is my Sailor Moon surfboard? I see a nice wave 🌊.

LOL😎

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
20 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Actually, I use it to spot the DD. I start the attack early and start the attack with the immunity so I don't get shot down.

It worked great in a few games in Midway. If I happen to sink a DD with the rockets then it's all bonus.

So, I use rockets as a spotter and it is deadly effective. 3 passes early attack and a DD can't do anything with their AA.

It is because WG gave the rocket planes immunity in the first place during attack spin up that I saw it as a dubious exploit.

For once, I decided to not keep this one to myself.

Although, Flambass would discover this eventually. He did find the rocket snipe from behind islands for German CVs after all. I was toying with that some before he went public. It was fun while it lasted.

Flambass can probably find the Holy Grail  if someone just asked him, for all I know.

Yeah, OP, there is a neat trick with it and it really annoys DDs because you are spotting them with no penalty. They have weak AA in some tech trees. And while others snap DFAA at the mere site of rockets, some players save it for HE bombers. It is where they make a tactical error. They think I am attacking with rockets, but I am using the immunity time to spot them.

Cruiser and BB players love it when a CV spots.

This may prove to be an efficient tool for CV players of the German line. Because they can hover over a DD and get away with it.

DD players asked for a rocket nerf, but may have lost their stealth advantage after all.

It's the Spot-Apocalypse Now redux. 

"I love the sound of DDs complaining about getting spotted, after complaining about rockets and then WG nerfed them."

It sounds like Balance..

Now where is my Sailor Moon surfboard? I see a nice wave 🌊.

LOL😎

Thanks. What changed that made DB slingshotting impossible?

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,148 battles
On 7/10/2021 at 12:59 PM, Igiby100 said:

Timer for the arming reset. WG extended it longer. It basically prevented the bomber after one drop to then hit another ship. But again, I solved that by just simply hitting brakes, turn around sharp and come back well inside the flak burst range. AA has 3 levels and flak burst is max range, but it is not present in the middle to close range.

That leaves straight DPM as the only factor.

So when a ship snaps DFAA, if you come over the top via an island, then you are inside that ships flak bubble. But not on the edge where it does more damage. So you drop, brake,  turn around, and only the DPM could hurt you on second pass.

Some players try dumping a wing, but it is not always a good idea if say you managed to hit a ship and you got the engine for instance.

You will lose that advantage if you recall, so take advantage of the crippled ship and hit them as they come to a slow crawl. Without speed and maneuverability, a ship is most vulnerable.

That is why a camped ship is 100% likely to be bombed. It's not moving.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,148 battles
16 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

Also, I never felt slingshot was viable. So I never bothered to use it if at all. I just worked on turning and braking to get the most ideal hits in.

• Sad 1