Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Freak_O

Weimar vs. Munchen

46 comments in this topic

[ASC]
Members
9 posts
1,503 battles

Thinking about a Tier VII German Cruiser ... now we have a choice.  I realize the Weimar is new, but what are the opinions between the two?  Which would you pick if you could only have one?

Thank you for your thoughts,

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I like the little German ships. The Munchen, Mainz etc. The weimar would be a good Ops ship. I own them all and will get the Weimar at some point. Its going to be profitable in Ops.

Not so much in human games. And is also a useful ribbion printer in Coop missions.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,501 posts
8,467 battles
30 minutes ago, Freak_O said:

Thinking about a Tier VII German Cruiser ... now we have a choice.  I realize the Weimar is new, but what are the opinions between the two?  Which would you pick if you could only have one?

Thank you for your thoughts,

If you are familiar with the T6 Nurnberg, Weimar has the same guns. Longer reload (8 vs 6 sec), shorter range but three more barrels. Munchen's guns are 150mm but shorter barrel (less velocity so floatier) but longer range with faster reload (5 sec). Also only eight barrels. 

If I HAD to pick one I'd probably go Weimar. I do like those guns. I liked Nurnberg and bought Mainz because of them. But I already have Munchen and will most likely get Weimar too. 😎

Members
17 posts

München - her superior maneuverability and concealment allow you to control the engagements much easier. Weimar's engine boost and spotting aircraft aren't enough to offset that.

• Cool 1

[REVEN]
Members
610 posts

Why not just Shchors?

I think Munchen is clearly better than Weimar. If you compare Shchors vs. Munchen, Munchen has much better concealment, 3 secs shorter reload time,  4 less guns, better torps. But I don't know, I just don't see Munchen has clear advantage over Shchors.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
3 minutes ago, Qilang said:

Why not just Shchors?

Because you have to grind it, and you can't rotate captains through it.

• Cool 1

[REVEN]
Members
610 posts
Just now, Skpstr said:

Because you have to grind it, and you can't rotate captains through it.

she's only VII ship, very easy to get Shchors.

I already have Mainz and other German premiums, so no captain issue.

[NOKAP]
Members
1,058 posts
25,582 battles

I would NOT buy the Weimar. They put the disclaimer that they can nerf this boat.

• Cool 1

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
29 minutes ago, Qilang said:

she's only VII ship, very easy to get Shchors.

Can you grind Shchors in 60 seconds? I can get Weimar and Munchen in that time frame..... I can even earn the money to buy them faster.

Having said that, I don't pay money for ships, but you can see where I'm going with that ...

Edited by Skpstr

[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,604 battles
49 minutes ago, Qilang said:

Why not just Shchors?

I think Munchen is clearly better than Weimar. If you compare Shchors vs. Munchen, Munchen has much better concealment, 3 secs shorter reload time,  4 less guns, better torps. But I don't know, I just don't see Munchen has clear advantage over Shchors.

32 mm pen out of the box. 

[UNC]
Members
1,238 posts
7,459 battles

SeaRaptor explored this exact question on his stream last night and came to the conclusion that Weimar is hard pass due primarily to insufficient range.  Also, if I'm not mistaken while Weimar is a Yorck hull the armor was thinned at the extremities to match light cruiser values.  Granted, the sample size was small but he said he would not waste his money on Weimar; Muchen was far and away a better ship. 

[DOINK]
Members
926 posts
16,334 battles
1 hour ago, Qilang said:

Why not just Shchors?

Well Shchors is an RU ship. Did you mean the Yorck (Tier 7 DM CA)?

[REVEN]
Members
610 posts
30 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

Well Shchors is an RU ship. Did you mean the Yorck (Tier 7 DM CA)?

no, I mean Shchors. When you play a T7 CL, does it matter she's Russian ship or Germany ship?

[REVEN]
Members
610 posts
53 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Can you grind Shchors in 60 seconds? I can get Weimar and Munchen in that time frame..... I can even earn the money to buy them faster.

Having said that, I don't pay money for ships, but you can see where I'm going with that ...

Yes.

actually anyone can freexp to T7 ship, not much FXP needed.

On the other hand, if you are a total rookie and buy a T7 right away, most likely you wont enjoy her fully.

[DOINK]
Members
926 posts
16,334 battles
Just now, Qilang said:

no, I mean Shchors. When you play a T7 CL, does it matter she's Russian ship or Germany ship?

Sure - you might have a special captain for Germany but not Russia.  Certainly you have captains you want to train/re-train (more common than not to NOT have a special captain for a premium ship - just pop one of your tech tree captains in and play it).

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

Munchen is the clear winner - she's quick and smart and if you build it right it's a long-range punisher. 

Weimar just seems like a Yorck with extra steps...and frankly, it's an interwar hull with bad range. 

[PVE]
Members
12,065 posts
21,313 battles

Weimar sounds like it would be a better ship than Munchen for Narai. I was a little dissatisfied with Munchen in Operation Narai. I think that Weimar's torps would be quite formidable in Narai when matched with 12 low arc guns. The speed boost might be quite a benefit also. If German captains had enhanced Gun Feeder skill, I would consider getting this just for Narai. As it stands I will stick with Boise, as my go to Narai ship.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SLI]
10,579 posts
8 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Weimar sounds like it would be a better ship than Munchen for Narai. I was a little dissatisfied with Munchen in Operation Narai. I think that Weimar's torps would be quite formidable in Narai when matched with 12 low arc guns. The speed boost might be quite a benefit also. If German captains had enhanced Gun Feeder skill, I would consider getting this just for Narai. As it stands I will stick with Boise, as my go to Narai ship.

I bought Weimar more or less just for Narai.  So far I am VERY happy with her performance.  Her short range is obviously not a concern in there and the DPS/punch has been preforming fantastic.  She's a bit squishy but I am figuring out some lines and I think I will be running it in here very often.

Based on my runs so far, I would buy again in a second.  Keep in mind that this response is only from the perspective of Narai, I have only taken her into one random mode battle so far.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
12,065 posts
21,313 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

I bought Weimar more or less just for Narai.  So far I am VERY happy with her performance.  Her short range is obviously not a concern in there and the DPS is/punch has been preforming fantastic.  She's a bit squishy but I am figuring out some lines and I think I will be running it in here very often.

It might work out on my most trusted Boise line of attack. Here is the replay for this battle if you are interested. I think the speed would greatly enhance the effectiveness of this route, which is the Boise's biggest flaw. Good luck with her and let me know how she does please, 8,800 doubloons wouldn't break the bank.

image.thumb.png.e1308031b20cfeba7e76c0b9e6670fe2.png

20210709_020618_PASC597-Nueve-de-Julio-1951_s07_Advance.wowsreplay

[SLI]
10,579 posts
17 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It might work out on my most trusted Boise line of attack. Here is the replay for this battle if you are interested. I think the speed would greatly enhance the effectiveness of this route, which is the Boise's biggest flaw. Good luck with her and let me know how she does please, 8,800 doubloons wouldn't break the bank.

20210709_020618_PASC597-Nueve-de-Julio-1951_s07_Advance.wowsreplay

Here is a run I just got out of.  I made some mistakes and I have room for improvement but it was a good run.

shot-21.07.09_12.22.28-0532.jpg

shot-21.07.09_12.22.23-0808.jpg

• Thanks 2

[PVE]
Members
12,065 posts
21,313 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Here is a run I just got out of.  I made some mistakes and I have room for improvement but it was a good run.

shot-21.07.09_12.22.28-0532.jpg

shot-21.07.09_12.22.23-0808.jpg

Sweet, I may have to open the wallet for this one. I could imagine what that score would be like with all special signals and a good camo mounted. I thought it looked like a Narai monster ship. Very impressive damage @Burnsy

[PVE]
Members
356 posts
3 hours ago, Gemlin said:

I would NOT buy the Weimar. They put the disclaimer that they can nerf this boat.

I highly doubt you will see any premium ship released without this disclaimer moving forward.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,159 posts
30,915 battles
4 hours ago, Qilang said:

Why not just Shchors?

Schors and Munchen are very different.

Schors is the typical "Play Long Range or DIE" Russian CL.  Munchen is an improved "German Atlanta."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

Munchen is a little light in Ops Narai. However when played carefully she can be very much a part of the overall success. However munchen's guns are a little runt.