You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CallingElvis

It's not radar

37 comments in this topic

[P1]
Members
772 posts
16,235 battles

It's x-ray vision. Look through anything. Unspotted for the first 5-6 minutes in my Chung-mu. A Baltimore on the other side of a mountain from me, who is engaged against some of my team mates click's radar x-ray and voilà...I am spotted on the other side of the MOUNTAIN in the middle of the enemy team and unceremoniously sunk. It takes away the ability to sneak up on enemies. I guess they just want me to pew pew instead. Sorry, but it's not radar. Fix it or rename it to 'x-ray'.

Lovely Xray replay submitted

20210708_193251_PZSD109-Chung-Mu_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

Edited by CallingElvis
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4

[-AFK-]
Members
1,502 posts
18,852 battles
11 minutes ago, CallingElvis said:

It's x-ray vision. Look through anything. Unspotted for the first 5-6 minutes in my Chung-mu. A Baltimore on the other side of a mountain from me, who is engaged against some of my team mates click's radar x-ray and voilà...I am spotted on the other side of the MOUNTAIN in the middle of the enemy team and unceremoniously sunk. It takes away the ability to sneak up on enemies. I guess they just want me to pew pew instead. Sorry, but it's not radar. Fix it or rename it to 'x-ray'.

It is working exactly how they want it to. 
They named it what they want. 
Because you are having issues with its function does not meant it should or will be renamed. 

• Thanks 2
  • Meh 3

Members
136 posts
562 battles
46 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

I ran it through Sapper's bot, here's the video of the minimap during replay.

Oof. That looks more like user error than anything else. He spent most of his time going around in a circle in the middle of the map while not supporting his team and then blamed his death on radar. Which, by the way, it looks to me like he was out of range of that Baltimore's radar (at least after he got hit by it the first time, when he lost a bit of health) and was instead spotted by that Schultz and then sank. The smarter thing to do would have been to back up towards the rest of his team after getting lit up by the radar and losing a bit of health instead of trying to hug an island near a cap that he knew the enemy was in.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,436 battles

Note, the radar from Baltimore is at 14:30 and lasts for about 6 seconds before being out of range.

Members
92 posts
3,437 battles
10 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

36 minutes ago, CallingElvis said:

It's x-ray vision. Look through anything. Unspotted for the first 5-6 minutes in my Chung-mu.

If you do nothing for the first minutes of the game... yeah, your gonna be unspotted, looking at that minimap replay, it'd be more productive to talk about the fact that the lack of a DD on the Cap on the right side of the map that could do DD things, FORCED the team on that side into a disadvantageous position(Tirpitz abandoning the flank it spawned on certainly didn't help), the BB's had no spotting, either from the cruisers or a DD, the enemy team HAD a DD there to spot, which made the bismarck run from incomming fire rather then get focussed by ships that could camp behind islands out of LOS and farm him, this in turn caused the massa B to also turn tail and run, after all why should HE melt under focus fire when no one will use that to bring all their guns to bear on the enemy by showing more broadside they would have showed otherwise, not to mention the lack of torpedoes a DD could send at the enemy causing them to be more cautious in their advance, which could buy precious time for the other flank to win their battle, and come to support the stalemated or collapsing flank(The other flank in the replay is a combination of the shima doing a bumb dumb by going for the balti and leaving his team on THAT flank ALSO with no DD, the massa being WAY too aggressive and being melted by focus fire, pommern was too late to join the action and bring his firepower and HP pool to bear, balti and buffalo look like they got spooked by all the firepower bearing down upon them and ran meaning no radar to oust the daring, donskoi did nothing in the critical momments of the match on the flank he was on and tirpitz deserves to turn pink and recieve no rewards for minnimum 5 random match games for how hard he threw the game for his team by abandoning the side of the map he spawned on AT THE VERY START of the match). 

All in all, the match looked like a very tough climb by the 8 second marck on the minimap replay, i know my post didn't touch on radar, but maybe some will find it interesting

[ANZ4C]
[ANZ4C]
Members
645 posts
10,685 battles
1 hour ago, CallingElvis said:

Yeah, watched the replay, and the minimap replay, Balti radar didn't get you killed, your honestly pretty terrible DD play is what screwed you.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles
1 hour ago, Compassghost said:

Oh that mod is awesome.

Yeah, it wasn't radar that got you killed there (and any radar you got hit by was probably the Alaska, not the Balty. But you didn't die until you were literally encircled on 3 sides with a Brindisi and DD right on top of you. Bad positioning is what killed you, not radar. You really should have bailed once the flank was lost, it was only a matter of time before the reds pushed around behind you.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,724 posts
26,569 battles

You're right, it's not radar. Radar is always on, has no arbitrary cool down period and artificially limited uses.  Also has much, much longer range. Would you prefer that?

• Thanks 1

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

If you are fighting human teams with radar in a DD and dont want to be radared, remember what ranges are from what ships and how long. Include their cooldowns as well. Keep track of all that. Eventually you evolve to who used radar last and where the next one can be used. Essentially a game of clocks.

You will not have a bad day to radar ever.

Edited by xHeavy

[-TKS-]
Members
1,706 posts
16,775 battles
10 hours ago, CallingElvis said:

10 hours ago, Compassghost said:

In what world do you think this type of decision should be rewarded? 

[SALVO]
Members
3,898 posts
7,848 battles
10 hours ago, CallingElvis said:

Sorry buddy but I'm a long term DD player.  Call it X-Ray or Call it radar either way its not a huge problem.     Radar is necessary to help teams control the map. Could it be implemented differently ? Yes but it is the way it is and it is entirely possible to be a very sneaky DD with radar in the match.   We as DDs have a responsibility to learn how to deal with it.  Just as other classes and ships have a responsibility to learn how to deal with us. 

Honestly the Radar wasn't remotely close to your biggest problem in that match.  Your whole team had positioning issues.  But as for your play.   The first and biggest issue was you delaying movement for 3 minutes at the beginning of the game when there was no CV present. You do realize you set your team back massively when you only position yourself after the enemy took your cap.  Then not supporting your team at the cap. That cap especially is hard to torp enemies from the middle of the map. Because there are so many islands there. Then you didn't retreat with your team which is why you got surrounded.  Also you put yourself in the radar range of the Baltimore  when you could see it was there!   Again there where many reasons why that match went as badly as it did, your position was one of those reasons. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
12 hours ago, CallingElvis said:

Sorry, but it's not radar. 

And I for one am glad of that. Imagine a cruiser with actual radar. Even though his radar couldn't spot through islands, he'd be able to pretty much spot anything in his LoS over the entire map, for the entire match. If he had LoS on an entire cap, a DD could never go there.

Since the radar cruiser could be anywhere on the map, you'd never know when passing between Islands would see you lit long enough so that the enemy knew where you were.

Edited by Skpstr

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,799 posts
20,735 battles
12 hours ago, CallingElvis said:

12 hours ago, Compassghost said:

11 hours ago, Sunrider1991 said:

Oof. That looks more like user error than anything else. He spent most of his time going around in a circle in the middle of the map while not supporting his team and then blamed his death on radar. Which, by the way, it looks to me like he was out of range of that Baltimore's radar (at least after he got hit by it the first time, when he lost a bit of health) and was instead spotted by that Schultz and then sank. The smarter thing to do would have been to back up towards the rest of his team after getting lit up by the radar and losing a bit of health instead of trying to hug an island near a cap that he knew the enemy was in.

^

Yeah I'm going to mostly agree the sinking was on OP's poor decisions.

Based on the Mini-Map (i'm at work and cannot view the full replay), he was either spotted by the Schultz and its hydro, or by the Brandisi, which he sailed right in front of and apparently was spotting as when he died the Brandisi vanished. I don't think he was close enough for the Baltimore's radar, but he might have been closer to the Alaska's or Petropavlovsk.

Three possible radars and a hydro near and you are pushing in DD without support? That is on you OP.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
32 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

^

Yeah I'm going to mostly agree the sinking was on OP's poor decisions.

Based on the Mini-Map (i'm at work and cannot view the full replay), he was either spotted by the Schultz and its hydro, or by the Brandisi, which he sailed right in front of and apparently was spotting as when he died the Brandisi vanished. I don't think he was close enough for the Baltimore's radar, but he might have been closer to the Alaska's or Petropavlovsk.

Three possible radars and a hydro near and you are pushing in DD without support? That is on you OP.

Schultz doesn't have hydro, I'm thinking the Brindisi got enough of a glimpse to make it come away from the cap and after the OP.

Members
324 posts
1,749 battles

You got CV rockets nerfed into the ground, but that's not enough for you. Is it?

• Haha 1

Members
92 posts
3,437 battles
6 minutes ago, C4Cypher said:

You got CV rockets nerfed into the ground, but that's not enough for you. Is it?

>mUh RockEt NeRf

Seethe, Cope, just lead

• Funny 3
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 1