You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HyperFish

Upskill Captain, or train a new one?

11 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,916 posts
8,973 battles

Hey all. 

Has anyone done the math over whether it's better to transfer your high tier captains to your new ship vs train a new captain using credits to 50% upskill. 

I ask because I figure that at any tier the captain needs 10pts to be competitive. At some point it must be quicker to grind a 0 point new captain up to 10 points rather than grind a higher tier captain at 50% to the next level. 

Any hints on how you all manage your captains?

[RSL]
Members
897 posts
13,676 battles

Always better to move your captain up to the next ship in the line rather than start a new one. 

Now, if you mean moving your high point T10 captain back down to a lower-tier tech tree ship vs just starting a new captain, you will generally want to make a new captain.

A lot also depends on how much Elite CXP you have lying around, and if you can afford to just make new 10pt captains whenever.

Edited by SirPent13
  • Cool 1

[TRW]
Members
128 posts
25,019 battles

So I have ~ 240 ships in port currently, and I active work a few lines while randomly picking ships (either for quests or just for fun).  Each ship in my port has its own captain.  I generally always start a ship at 3-6 skill points and I agree that 10 is a key number (esp. for secondary BBs, DDs (concealment) but it is less of an effect on CLs and CVs).  I think I have one captain at 20pts but many are in the 13-17 range.  Even though certain lines (German BBs, DD in general) etc. may have reuse for skills there is always oddballs in the tree.  Hence unique captains allow for more tailored experiences.  Again I have been playing a long time and have many battles.  If I only played one line or a few ships they it might make more sense to go the other way.  When I win free captains in events I tend to use them to go different routes and play around.  For example secondary Yamato... yes my primary is survivability build, but sometimes a secondary Yammy can be fun to play.  I suppose you could have an AA vs. non-AA centric captain.  I tend to do this on a ship basis vs. captain basis but it is always a roll of the dice whether you will get a CV in randoms.

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,578 posts
17,526 battles

Up to a certain point, it’s cheaper to train a new commander than move one up or respec one (but it’s only up to a few points).

As long as you’re moving up a line, always move the captain up so you have a sufficiently skilled captain by the time you need it. When I started, I was making a new captain for each ship for a while (and keeping the old higher level captain on the previous ship), and I can now say that was a mistake. For the low tiers (say, 1-3 or maybe 1-4) I still don’t always move a captain up since I spend so little time in those ships it’s not really worth the cost to move them. But outside of that I’ll always move a captain up and replace him on the old ship with a new or reserve one. 

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles
4 hours ago, HyperFish said:

Hey all. 

Has anyone done the math over whether it's better to transfer your high tier captains to your new ship vs train a new captain using credits to 50% upskill. 

I ask because I figure that at any tier the captain needs 10pts to be competitive. At some point it must be quicker to grind a 0 point new captain up to 10 points rather than grind a higher tier captain at 50% to the next level. 

I recently welcomed a German Tier-10 ship to my Port, and your dilemma and mine were similar.
1.  While I can get away with 10 skill points (or less in some low-tier non-CV assignments) on many types of ships, this time I was considering assignment to a Tier-10 CV, which is demanding of skill points.
2.  Cost of re-training Commanders to promote them up the line was another consideration.  FXP and CXP are in limited supply.  I did have enough doubloons to support the 500 doubloon instant re-training, though.
3.  Battle Performance vs. training costs?  Hmmm.  What to do?  What do do, eh?

In my situation, I promoted Captains from their current CV assignments to fill vacancies created by the new Tier-10 CV Manfred Von Richthofen.
Tier-8 CV Commander = assigned to the new Tier-10 CV.
Tier-6 CV Commander = assigned to fill vacancy of Tier-8 CV.

At that point, I was running low on doubloons and was trying to consider all my options, to maintain sufficient skill points and not deplete my doubloons or FXP inventory.

So, I chose a 12-point Commander of a Tier-6 HSF Graf Spee, who happened to have a 10-point "twin" in the Reserve Barracks.
Tier-6 Cruiser Commander = assigned to Tier-6 CV Weser.
Reserve Barracks Commander = assigned to Tier-6 HSF Graf Spee.

I wrote about it in another forum topic. https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/221037-if-our-commanders-could-talk/?do=findComment&comment=5505316

As I mentioned, CV's are very demanding of Captain's Skill points.  Nine is the "minimum", but since the Captain's Skills re-bork, 13 skill points is my new "minimum" for a CV Captain.

Other ships, such as BB's, Cruisers and DD's, sailing in Tier-6 and higher match-making generally need 10 skill points to get one 4-point skill, such as Concealment Expert.

For me, I can do okay when sailing ships (that aren't CV's) in Tier-5 and lower match-making with Captains that have less than 10 skill points. 
I don't mind being patient and letting them get trained as they participate in battles.

A notable exception is my Tier-8 BB, the Kansas. 
She arrived with a 3-point Commander.  And, I decided to just let that Commander earn experience as I sailed the ship only occasionally and mostly in Co-op matches.
I think that Captain is up to around 8 skill points, now.  

Some have sailed in so many battles, they've earned a lot of CXP.  The Mustu in my Port is Captained by Commander Queen Bee, and she's currently at 15 skill points.  Mostly from Scenario Operations.

Hope that helps.  :-)

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,800 posts
20,741 battles
5 hours ago, HyperFish said:

Hey all. 

I was doing that in the beginning.

The issue was that each ship is slightly different in strengths and weaknesses. This might require you to set up a captain for that specific ship that wouldn't fit a later ship, thus costing you in resetting and training the captain.

I eventually reached the point where I simply left the captain in place and either starting him from scratch, or I used one of the 6pt or 10pt captains I gained from various missions or collabs (ie I have alot of anime captains in the IJN line).

I did train up several captains by having them jump between ships. My Yamamoto captain became a 19pt, and now a 21pt by jumping between the Yamato, Musashi, and Shikishima. It helps that those ships have similar set-ups that jumping between them doesn't affect things badly. My Enterprise anime captain pends time between Enterprise, Lexington, and Saipan.

Premium ships, do to their flexibility in no cost to add or remove Captains are great for getting your captain leveled up.

[CUDA]
Members
1,449 posts
13,955 battles

I don't move my captains around. I have a lot of 6-10 and 10-14 captains but a few lower and higher too. I'm not enough of a gourmet player to tell the difference.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
On 7/8/2021 at 9:38 AM, HyperFish said:

Hey all. 

That's no longer an option, the free retrain was cut in half though, so it's like the credit option, without having to spend the credits lol.

On 7/8/2021 at 9:38 AM, HyperFish said:

I typically move mine up, as I want the highest point captain in the highest tier ship.

It may be quicker to grind the 0 point captain to 10 points, but at the end of the day, you only have a 10-point captain, and it's going to take some time to grind him to the level of the captain you could have used if you moved him up.

[TRW]
Members
128 posts
25,019 battles

I think another consideration too is whether you have sufficient credits/premium time.  I remember why I started I never had enough and had to sell my beloved Bayern to buy the Gneiseau (back in 2018 or something).  My Myogi to buy the Kongo (funny enough I believe I am still without the Myogi!)  That is not a problem any more, but if you are selling a ship at a lower tier to buy a new one, why keep the old captain around?  vs. train with the new ship.... Since I like to play all my ships and regularly pair up with players to play whatever tier they want this is not really a problem for me.  Perhaps if you only have a line or two you are doing this would not be an issue but I know it could be an issue for some.  

Agree about CV captains, although with 6-9 pts you do ok.  I find many of the 4pt skills are not as worthwhile. 

The other benefit?  Resetting lines.... you can reset a line and then as you work your way through it you can use the captains.  Completely different than a retraining captain or 3pt commander.  Of course you can use FXP as well, but until recently when I got the Hayate I needed to preserve those FXP.  Now I have 885k in a matter of weeks and nothing to spend it on (hopefully a new ship will be out soon)

[WOLFG]
Members
1,504 posts

If I'm grinding a line I will move a captain up.  The problem comes with different ships in the line that may require different skills, so I spec him as though he is on the tier ten ship at the end of the grind.  Usually there are several turkeys in a line that I will never play again.  The ships that I will  play again I put a fresh 10 pt. Captain on it and spec it for that ship.  Ten pt. Captains aren't that difficult to come by for me.