Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

World of Warships Alpha Version Gameplay video (2013)

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

17,311
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,191 posts
30,943 battles

Yesterday I had ran into this peculiar video on YT.  The description:

"My first gameplay of World of Warships Alpha version. Recorded in 2013. No commenary besides playtesting voice chat."

The video description says 2013 but the video was uploaded on June, 2015.  WoWS launched on September 2015.

I came aboard the game in Open Beta in summer 2015, so this looks completely different even for me.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,546
[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,080 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yesterday I had ran into this peculiar video on YT.  The description:

"My first gameplay of World of Warships Alpha version. Recorded in 2013. No commenary besides playtesting voice chat."

The video description says 2013 but the video was uploaded on June, 2015.  WoWS launched on September 2015.

I came aboard the game in Open Beta in summer 2015, so this looks completely different even for me.

This was before closed beta, I can tell by the menu ui. They most likely couldn’t release it until that June 2015 date. I seem to remember reading from an article posted way back when that allowed wows content to be shown on video, but before then it wasn’t allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,866
[BONKS]
Members
4,828 posts
52 battles

I think in one of the earliest developer diary videos you can see gameplay footage of the alpha version as well. It looks pretty much the same as in that video.
As far as I understood it the game was much more simulator heavy back then and, according to the devs, wasn't very fun as a result.

In contrast to that, here's CBT footage I captured back then:

 

Funnily enough imo the sound design back then is still better than it is now. Hearing your ship creak and groan when it took a hit for example was great.

Bonus footage:

Spoiler

:Smile_trollface:

 

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles
7 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

I think in one of the earliest developer diary videos you can see gameplay footage of the alpha version as well. It looks pretty much the same as in that video.
As far as I understood it the game was much more simulator heavy back then and, according to the devs, wasn't very fun as a result.

In contrast to that, here's CBT footage I captured back then:

 

Funnily enough imo the sound design back then is still better than it is now. Hearing your ship creak and groan when it took a hit for example was great.

Bonus footage:

  Hide contents

:Smile_trollface:

 

That Iowa gameplay. That triple stacked Dive Bomber doing a manual run. Those were the days. I miss this time in WoWS. The game was far simpler back then and ships were ships, not pixels loaded with gimmicks. When I played was Week 1 of the CBT. And that was when Destroyers had citadels.

~Hunter

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,361
[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
2 minutes ago, Hunter_Steel said:

That Iowa gameplay. That triple stacked Dive Bomber doing a manual run. Those were the days. I miss this time in WoWS. The game was far simpler back then and ships were ships, not pixels loaded with gimmicks. When I played was Week 1 of the CBT. And that was when Destroyers had citadels.

~Hunter

God the citadels. When i came back and had to create a new account i didnt know what all had changed. Blew my mind that dds didnt have citadels anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48
[T-D-M]
Members
168 posts
18,742 battles
3 hours ago, Hunter_Steel said:

Hide contents

Stock piling particular signals in the Jacuzzi battles. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,877
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,432 posts
9,039 battles

This was very early 1st stage alpha I'm pretty sure..    notice the flotation bars (blue) under the HP bars above the name.. Removed right as I came in at second stage. essentially your ship also had flotation that would effect it..  It wasn't very interesting or fun to play.. the more flooding you took on the worse your speed became.   I think I only saw that for like one week and then it was removed, no one missed it.    

@Tedster_  was a 1st stage alpha tester and has a great thread on here somewhere if it didn't get cleaned out, that chronicles the games growth through alpha to release, with tons of screenshots..   Very intersting read if it still exists.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
543
[CAZA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
591 posts
8,819 battles

That's a great find!

So aiming was literally like artillery in World of Tanks! Can't imagine myself playing it like that these days...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,653
[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles

Interesting they had limited ammo back in the day  :Smile_hiding: Wargaming you should make more maps you know :fish_palm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,311
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,191 posts
30,943 battles

At around this time in 2013 I was playing Kantai Collection and frequented this 3rd party fan forum for the game.  A few of our members there were in Alpha for WoWS, that's all we knew.  It was because of them, KanColle, and when WoWS got into Open Beta invites was where I got interest in the game.  That's when I started hearing some of the stories of how different things were compared to Open Beta and the Live version releases.  That the game was more "sim heavy."  As I understood, there was some division when the devs decided to go from Sim -> Arcade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116
[Y81]
Members
836 posts
4,556 battles
19 hours ago, iRA6E said:

This was very early 1st stage alpha I'm pretty sure..    notice the flotation bars (blue) under the HP bars above the name.. Removed right as I came in at second stage. essentially your ship also had flotation that would effect it..  It wasn't very interesting or fun to play.. the more flooding you took on the worse your speed became.   I think I only saw that for like one week and then it was removed, no one missed it.    

@Tedster_  was a 1st stage alpha tester and has a great thread on here somewhere if it didn't get cleaned out, that chronicles the games growth through alpha to release, with tons of screenshots..   Very intersting read if it still exists.   

I think this is the thread you are talking about:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WRHD]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
556 posts
1,222 battles

This type of content is still under NDA, and shouldn't be shared around online- it's great to reminisce about past triumphs, but this type of content should be reported for takedown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×