You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LowSpeed_US

PC Gamer: You can now play World of Warships on an actual warship

10 comments in this topic

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,023 posts
21,273 battles

You could before, it was called the 10 Lexington museum accounts existing on nearly useless consoles on the USS Lexington. 

Those accounts could play ranked/randoms, you name it. The 8 active accounts did not have a single one above 40% wr and the COMBINED PR of those 8 accounts is 140. 

[WPORT]
Members
20,728 posts
22,656 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

You could before, it was called the 10 Lexington museum accounts existing on nearly useless consoles on the USS Lexington. 

Those accounts could play ranked/randoms, you name it. The 8 active accounts did not have a single one above 40% wr and the COMBINED PR of those 8 accounts is 140. 

Are those still active?  Are they using the Console version or the Personal Computer version of WOWs?

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

From what I remember of them, they had a simple roll ball for a mouse and AWSD buttons. I bet they would still be running the PC version of the game. I don't remember if they could switch aircraft though, so the carrier just sails around. 

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

image.png.f65f82e55484cc44792227d6fea9235e.pngI can never forget that picture, though for a jury rigged mechanism didn't look bad.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

The best game based situation I have seen personally involves the Flight Museum at Polk City Florida. This would be about 1994-1995 era. They had a bank of computers (PC over a LAN) taking care of I think 6 or 8 three Dimensional movement cockpits made of a material and wired and yoked with a screen somewhat what a plane cockpit controls would be with stick, rudder, view hat, engine controls (War Emergency Toggle etc) and throttle etc.

The people paid for the experience, brought into a briefing and told what to expect and were placed into the sims, the covers are closed leaving them with their planes. Soon enough they were presented with a battle space depending on a plane that they picked, if any. For example I usually took off and used a land runway with a P38 which was really good in flight. Just need not to be caught low and slow with zeros all around.

After a day of that the staff invited me to fly against them who have had war bird experience in actual flying. So it was a honor. The P38 went after a staff zero who went straight up using my weight against me. He also had a armored tail. As it turned out it would have been better to shoot at his wing root before having to hammerhead off when the momentum ran out of power. He took his turn to come after me. I stood her on a wingtip and added flaps to come around tight but he forced me over onto my back sort of and took advantage of his ability to turn.So turned my big fighter into a pig low down. Ugh. But that fight did not resolve to it's logical ending because the game system running it ended it. I should have kept it vertical. I was in the process of injecting water and kicking the engines beyond 100% milpower to get out from under to go straight up. Up above you can do anything to him. Just not turn well.

That was a long time ago when they were a simple museum. They have since converted to a living facility restoring and flying old birds where legally possible when they were finished with restoration.

As a trucker I have been to many ships around the USA and one in UK at the Thames. But usually schedules prevented me from visiting. I remember the day they took the two Iowas out of the storage area of the Philadelphia Navy Yard mothballs prior to their use in modern war again. The WW2 cruiser USS Baltimore was there also among others. The last time I come through later in life they were started to accumulate the first dozen or so of the rusting early Aegis Ticonderogas with the 4 rail missile launchers. The rust were covering them pretty good by then. I would like to think they removed the arrays for reuse or recycle. There are precious rare metals contained within those things that are rather hard to get. So happy that we have them for recycling in newer AEGIS systems.

Edited by xHeavy

[TWFT]
Members
1,767 posts
46,000 battles

How about you limit these to Co-Op so they don't screw up a good match?

• Meh 1

Members
620 posts
29,523 battles
2 hours ago, landedkiller said:

Interesting maybe more ship museums will incorporate this. 

Trust me, in randoms you don't want to have an 8 year old driving your team's CV.  :Smile_Default: