You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shomaruki

Carrier: What are we now?

9 comments in this topic

Members
732 posts
999 battles

We don't do enough damage continued damage to sink in one good around.  (I mean I did get a detonation once with my bombers.). There honestly isn't enough to say we have a true impact against a win.

I can get 12+ torp hits but end of the day most of my kills come from playing clean up crew from ships trying to sail away. 

Other then spotting DDs now, I don't even see the need anymore to waste time trying to pew pew the DDs. Rework did make it with more work but even still even if there were no DDs in the game, I find it that CVs are basically the ships are designed to just annoy rather then contribute to the win. I got out of my comfort zone and played a different ship that wasn't CV and truth be told I forgot the CV even existed in the game and the few planes I DID manage to see were shot down without much as me using any brain power to do so. So from there, I tried using a DD and I tried sailing in a straight line (CV captain missed me) I did a few zig zags and he basically stopped messing with me. :/

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,136 posts
35,170 battles

It’s kind of like the RTS carrier unicums, only now they’re FPS carrier unicums.

A few carrier drivers murder everything in sight. Some are so-so, and the vast majority are ‘why am I wasting my time?’

Effectively, all that’s changed from RTS is the mechanics by which carriers annoy other players, and of course there’s more players doing so.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
732 posts
999 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It’s kind of like the RTS carrier unicums, only now they’re FPS carrier unicums.

A few carrier drivers murder everything in sight. Some are so-so, and the vast majority are ‘why am I wasting my time?’

Effectively, all that’s changed from RTS is the mechanics by which carriers annoy other players, and of course there’s more players doing so.

I would gladly give up my missiles in a heartbeat just to have RTS back. Hell they can even take away the Instant drop of Torps. Just let me control multiple plane units at one and I don't care how much they nerf me to the ground I would at least be able to defend, support, and attack.

• Thanks 2

[KERR]
Beta Testers
430 posts
10,287 battles
1 hour ago, Shomaruki said:

We don't do enough damage continued damage to sink in one good around.  (I mean I did get a detonation once with my bombers.). There honestly isn't enough to say we have a true impact against a win.

I can get 12+ torp hits but end of the day most of my kills come from playing clean up crew from ships trying to sail away. 

Other then spotting DDs now, I don't even see the need anymore to waste time trying to pew pew the DDs. Rework did make it with more work but even still even if there were no DDs in the game, I find it that CVs are basically the ships are designed to just annoy rather then contribute to the win. I got out of my comfort zone and played a different ship that wasn't CV and truth be told I forgot the CV even existed in the game and the few planes I DID manage to see were shot down without much as me using any brain power to do so. So from there, I tried using a DD and I tried sailing in a straight line (CV captain missed me) I did a few zig zags and he basically stopped messing with me. :/

As others have noted, it is not time for carrier skippers to uninstall or stop playing; it is time for carrier skippers to change their play style.

Gone are the days of scouting and eliminating the DDs that the rest of the team fails to pay proper attention to.  Now, the carrier skipper spots them as he/she is flying past with the intention of attacking targets that fit the new play style more.  The elite carrier skippers will still give the DD drivers fits, but for the vast majority of us, it is off to the cruisers and battleships.

Look at the number of DDs that are being played since the nerf.  4,5, even 6 in a match now.  Cruisers have become the forgotten class, which is unfortunate since they are, and always have been, the main weapon against DDs.  While some DD lines fare far better than others in DD v DD action, it is the cruisers that needs to be paying attention to the DDs to enable the other classes to fill their roles.

Those who made such a fuss to get the changes now will have to deal with adapting their play style as well. As for carrier skippers, some of us will take a second look at the ship yelling in chat for fighter cover or for the carrier to spot.  I will normally not ignore my teammate asking for help but if there is a fat target down to one strike hit points, I will be like every other skipper in the game and wave in passing as I close out the kill.

[D-DAY]
Members
7,600 posts
1 hour ago, Smokeader said:

As others have noted, it is not time for carrier skippers to uninstall or stop playing; it is time for carrier skippers to change their play style.

Gone are the days of scouting and eliminating the DDs that the rest of the team fails to pay proper attention to.  Now, the carrier skipper spots them as he/she is flying past with the intention of attacking targets that fit the new play style more.  The elite carrier skippers will still give the DD drivers fits, but for the vast majority of us, it is off to the cruisers and battleships.

Look at the number of DDs that are being played since the nerf.  4,5, even 6 in a match now.  Cruisers have become the forgotten class, which is unfortunate since they are, and always have been, the main weapon against DDs.  While some DD lines fare far better than others in DD v DD action, it is the cruisers that needs to be paying attention to the DDs to enable the other classes to fill their roles.

Those who made such a fuss to get the changes now will have to deal with adapting their play style as well. As for carrier skippers, some of us will take a second look at the ship yelling in chat for fighter cover or for the carrier to spot.  I will normally not ignore my teammate asking for help but if there is a fat target down to one strike hit points, I will be like every other skipper in the game and wave in passing as I close out the kill.

Someone looked at the figures recently and I don't believe the DD numbers had risen substantially.

I think it is all the players hoping to get the change reversed doing the usual 'now I see 13 DDs in every team routine' - the sky is falling! :Smile_hiding: I've seen 4 DDs in a match - but then again, I've seen 4 Cruisers and I've seen 4 BB matches too!

The fact is if the numbers of DDs rise to the level that some scream hysterically about (you know, the unstoppable hoard roaming the map, slaughtering every other ship with their evil invisible stealth powers, their incredible speed and the amazing powers that enabled them to somehow dodge faster rounds fired from ships)....

then WG will do something about it, but to be fair, some have been prophesizing this event for a long time now.:cap_old:

• Thanks 1

Members
111 posts
4,838 battles

Carriers can get fair total damage for the slot, of course the length of time it takes to do that damage really hinders its impact to a match, but as unglamorous as it is, you have to keep your numbers up in order to win. At this point, this generally means don’t waste your time with DDs, randoms have trash teamwork, there is no point in spotting a DD if they aren’t going to shoot it, plus there isn’t much economic reward if they do decide to shoot the DD.

Much like a cruiser shows broadside to a battleship, there is certain ships to target over others. Thanks to their plane speed, they make a great pick class despite having lackluster alpha at times. You can repeatedly hit a lonely ship to keep you damage up with minimal losses and trips, and low health ships aren’t safe to run away either. These sorts of targets are what to look for, however you don’t have time to be indecisive as you are expected to contribute quite a bit of damage.

[KERR]
Beta Testers
430 posts
10,287 battles
17 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Someone looked at the figures recently and I don't believe the DD numbers had risen substantially.

I think it is all the players hoping to get the change reversed doing the usual 'now I see 13 DDs in every team routine' - the sky is falling! :Smile_hiding: I've seen 4 DDs in a match - but then again, I've seen 4 Cruisers and I've seen 4 BB matches too!

The fact is if the numbers of DDs rise to the level that some scream hysterically about (you know, the unstoppable hoard roaming the map, slaughtering every other ship with their evil invisible stealth powers, their incredible speed and the amazing powers that enabled them to somehow dodge faster rounds fired from ships)....

then WG will do something about it, but to be fair, some have been prophesizing this event for a long time now.:cap_old:

WELL TYPED!  Sadly, I could only give you one "Thanks". 

• Cool 1