You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Igiby100

Colorado is garbage. Do the USN BBs get better?

44 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles

I am struggling to succeed in Colorado. Angling is useless, since you are always (always!) uptiered into T9 matches, where everything overmatches you. Even if shells hit you belt, it is so thin, and your hull is so round, that you always eat pens, and can never bounce anything. Just yesterday, I got citadeled when angled at 90 degrees to an Izumo. The AA is garbage. Short range, and it breaks too easily. The same is true of the secondaries. The ship is slow. It's accuracy is garbage, made even worse by the lack of access to ASM1. The penetration values are also bad. In a ranked match, a Myoko beached itself at 8km from me, broadside. 4 shells missed. 4 shattered. wth? 

Since I plan on going down both lines, I want to know if the USN Tillman line ever gets better, and whether they are worth it. Any info on how to do well in Colorado is also appreciated. 

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

I'm not sure how you're getting bad guns, everything else about the ship is bad (except the heal), but the guns have good accuracy and hit hard. At 8km you should have nuked a broadside Myoko. But still, CO has been powercrept a lot (and it was never a great ship) so yeah, playing it these days probably isn't much fun.

Tillman line, eh more of the same, slow with bad accuracy until you get to Vermont which has incredible guns.

The fast line is great though, NC is faster, better armor scheme, and even better guns. Iowa and Montana are good too.

• Cool 2

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,045 posts

That citadel is because the Izuomo Guns will overmatch your bow.  It is the next step to the Yammy.  Colorado is slow which might be a blessing in an up-tier game.  It's been so long since I was playing Colorado, it was way before the German line was in.  Like most of the US BBs, it will be hit in the citadel.  I played them with concealment and shoot at cruisers and broadsided BB that didn't see it.  If you are shattering shells on a cruiser aim tad higher. Plunge those shells.

Members
834 posts
10,400 battles

Not that the Colorado is necessarily good, but Izumo will overmatch ALL tier 7(8?) BBs and shouldn't be one of the reasons for hating on it.

Lack of speed is probably the biggest issue for mid-tier US BBs, making proper positioning and anticipation that much more important.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,512 posts
26,920 battles

She does well equal or even better top tiered. She is punished disproportionately when bottom tier due to lack of speed.

She’s slow as Christmas and hits like a truck.

[PHLNX]
Members
557 posts
14,664 battles

I can't say Colorado was my favorite ship in that line,  but it was worth playing her to get to Montana.

[S-P-C]
Members
3 posts
9,031 battles

North Carolina is a big step up from Colorado. 

Iowa US a big step up in firepower and speed

Montana is a beast in firepower 

Well worth the T3-T7 grind.

In hindsight,  these slower squishy BBs still are fun when you get tired of the faster paced higher armament BBs.

Not going with the split, instead I started the IJN BB line while I'm still working on improving my US T8-T10 BB line skills. Cheers !

Members
105 posts
26,954 battles

I actually like it. I treat it just like an oversize New Mexico and  I position myself far away with the fire estinguisher and with AP shells. And citadel the hell out of everyone far away.  I love it

• Cool 1

[DOINK]
Members
926 posts
16,343 battles
22 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

Since I plan on going down both lines, I want to know if the USN Tillman line ever gets better, and whether they are worth it. Any info on how to do well in Colorado is also appreciated. 

NC and Iowa (the one's I've gotten to so far) are so much better. 

I have the Kansas researched, but don't think I'll go down that line. If you don't like CO, you probably won't like that line.

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles

Great. Thanks. Still frustrating, however. That said, I have learned to like ships i previously hated when going down the line (Omaha, Pensacola, etc.)

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,352 posts
9,639 battles
On 7/7/2021 at 12:36 PM, Igiby100 said:

I am struggling to succeed in Colorado. Angling is useless, since you are always (always!) uptiered into T9 matches, where everything overmatches you. Even if shells hit you belt, it is so thin, and your hull is so round, that you always eat pens, and can never bounce anything. Just yesterday, I got citadeled when angled at 90 degrees to an Izumo. The AA is garbage. Short range, and it breaks too easily. The same is true of the secondaries. The ship is slow. It's accuracy is garbage, made even worse by the lack of access to ASM1. The penetration values are also bad. In a ranked match, a Myoko beached itself at 8km from me, broadside. 4 shells missed. 4 shattered. wth? 

I remember dev striking a Nagato from about 15-18km in Colorado.

I am very skeptical of your shattered on a Myoko at 8km claim.  Bounced?  Sure.  Shattered?  No.

Alpha Tester
736 posts
6,043 battles

Both lines rock! Colorado is a so so boat. It's good when your top tier and can slice away citadels, but mediocre otherwise. I had more fun the second time I ground it to get Kansas. People like to trash the fat BB line but they are really good if you know how to play them. They are the best combo of armor / HP / lack of torp & fire damage of any BB line, which means they are the toughest ships in their tier. They slug off shells better than their German counterparts do and they can sit back further and actually land shots. They are equal to the fast line in power, just really different playstyle. The guns have slow reload and mediocre pen (until Vermont), but they are accurate at long distances and reliably rack up damage. In the fat BB line, I'm always shooting, in the fast one, I'm occasionally shooting, occasionally stopping to hide and position better. 

North Carolina > Kansas

Iowa < Minnesota 

Vermont = Montana

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
20 hours ago, Helstrem said:

I remember dev striking a Nagato from about 15-18km in Colorado.

I am very skeptical of your shattered on a Myoko at 8km claim.  Bounced?  Sure.  Shattered?  No.

It was a torpedo protection shatter. I asked about it, and the answer is that the shell fuse expired and the shell detonated in a void space. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,352 posts
9,639 battles
3 minutes ago, Igiby100 said:

It was a torpedo protection shatter. I asked about it, and the answer is that the shell fuse expired and the shell detonated in a void space. 

That is highly unlikely to be the explanation unless it hit the water first to start the fuse timer.  

What is usually the case for torpedo belt hits is that the shell penetrates the torpedo belt and then bounces off of the main belt.  Against BBs it can also be a shatter against the main belt, but it is rare for a BB AP round to not have enough penetration to easily punch through a cruiser's main belt if it isn't angled enough to cause a bounce to happen.  Cruisers just aren't built to take hits from BBs.

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
7 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

That is highly unlikely to be the explanation unless it hit the water first to start the fuse timer.  

I'm telling you what I saw. I have found that Colorado's shells land lower than you aim; it took me a while to learn to aim properly (I am still not good). It is highly likely that the shells did hit the water first. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,352 posts
9,639 battles
44 minutes ago, Igiby100 said:

I'm telling you what I saw. I have found that Colorado's shells land lower than you aim; it took me a while to learn to aim properly (I am still not good). It is highly likely that the shells did hit the water first. 

I think you misunderstood me.  I wasn't saying you didn't see what you saw.  I was saying it probably wasn't the AP shell blowing up inside the torpedo protection before reaching the belt.  It probably penetrated the torpedo belt and then bounced off of the belt.

[ALL41]
[ALL41]
Members
73 posts
21,145 battles

I ground through Colorado to be very pleased with the mobility, tankiness, and firepower of North Carolina. :cap_horn:

But I ended the American BB grind there...by the time I had enough XP for Iowa, I had added Georgia to my port, and lost interest in Iowa.

I am now well into the painful grinding with Kansas, hoping for better accuracy with Minnesota.  

Colorado and Kansas perform okay for co-op, but are too slow to be able to react to a collapsing flank in a random match.

Minnesota will have the same weakness in randoms, I'm sure.

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
On 7/10/2021 at 1:52 PM, Helstrem said:

I think you misunderstood me.  I wasn't saying you didn't see what you saw.  I was saying it probably wasn't the AP shell blowing up inside the torpedo protection before reaching the belt.  It probably penetrated the torpedo belt and then bounced off of the belt.

Oh. Possible. I don't know. I would think that would result in a bounce ribbon, but I am very likely wrong. Thanks for clarification. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,352 posts
9,639 battles
7 minutes ago, Igiby100 said:

Oh. Possible. I don't know. I would think that would result in a bounce ribbon, but I am very likely wrong. Thanks for clarification. 

Before they added the torpedo belt penetration ribbon these were the penetrations for no damage that people complained about.  Bounces are only counted as such if they bounce off of the first layer of steel they hit.

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
2 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Before they added the torpedo belt penetration ribbon these were the penetrations for no damage that people complained about.  Bounces are only counted as such if they bounce off of the first layer of steel they hit.

Oh. Makes sense now. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

colorado surprises occasionally but the damn thing is just a slow troll...

I got past it before the split... I am not going to grind out another 140k for more bb's that are similar...

[WAMMY]
Members
2,811 posts
17,424 battles

Hey

I just got the Colorado myself and find it to be a turd.  There is very little it does good and when up tiered, it cant hold it's own against cruisers, much less BB's.  I find the guns absolutely suck since they don't seem to do any real damage and even had worse than German dispersion on more than one occasion.

Pete

[SCRUM]
Members
443 posts
13,169 battles

The Colorado is a tough ship and it's tough to learn to play it.  I find using HE on cruisers and DDs to be effective.  You have to plan way in advance were to be with the right angle.  Dang hard to carry though.  NC takes a while to learn also but when you do it carries pretty well.

[-WD-]
Members
20 posts
13,975 battles

Lolerado isn't nearly as bad as people say she is.  Learn to think ahead, use that rudder and for god sake learn how overmatch works.  As for the guns, your wrong, they can hurt anything you can face reliably... also 2.0 sigma. 

Don't become another impatient norcal player, stick it out and learn.