Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

Colorado - you get what you paid for?

55 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
1,504 posts

Just finished the Colorado grind with the camo.  Personally, I like the camo.  Not much of a BB player so it's hard for me to judge if this even worth bothering with.  It seems reallllly slow, but most BBs do for me.  Anybody play this ship?  Any hints for best performance?  Everything out there is really old.

Thanks

[REKTD]
Members
1,216 posts
15,730 battles
  • Surprisingly tanky, but always be angled to those firing at you.
  • Hunt anything broadside, as Colorado’s guns are for real. 
  • Avoid map edges as you won’t have the speed to impact the game once isolated on a edge. You do have the armor when angled to take some fire.
  • Take more aggressive lines early, as you will get to the action late anyways, so usually the shooting starts before you are seen = less likely to get focused.

Those are some thoughts. I found Colorado fun enough to keep around in my port, and take her out periodically.

Edited by SuperComm4
  • Cool 8

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles

Played the ship somewhat recently, before it was a reward. I would recommend grinding it in Bronze Ranked if you can; the maps are pretty small so the speed isn't that much of a factor, you don't get bodied by tier IXs and everyone overmatches everyone.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles
8 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Just finished the Colorado grind with the camo.  Personally, I like the camo.  Not much of a BB player so it's hard for me to judge if this even worth bothering with.  It seems reallllly slow, but most BBs do for me.  Anybody play this ship?  Any hints for best performance?  Everything out there is really old.

Thanks

I unlocked and welcomed the Colorado to my Port almost two years ago.
The recent mission chain to unlock her again netted me a new Commander and a substantial sum of credits in lieu of the ship.

I think she's fine in Scenario Operations and in Co-op games.
Her slow speed encourages people to plan their positioning well in advance, because she's not gonna set any speed records.
Like the Kansas, she's fun to sail while enjoying a meal.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[4_0_4]
Members
334 posts
2,244 battles
9 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Thanks

Try to stay at full speed, you’re not going to get there quickly anyway.  Full survival build, with possible exception of rudder shift in slot 4, this makes her fairly maneuverable.  Turn around and kite if you even think you’re about to get overrun, if you have the rudder shift, you can bob your front turrets into action even when someone’s directly behind you.  Keep AP loaded, for the most part.  Take the spotter plane, she’s accurate enough at Tier VII to make it worthwhile. My best game ever (3500 base xp) was in a Colorado, you can do well if you stay angled and look for broadsides. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
324 posts
4,905 battles

Her speed - or lack thereof - makes her challenging to play, especially on higher tier maps. Like all US Standard-type battleships, she's a big, ugly, slow target. 

But she has good armor when angled, and watch out for those guns. 

She's earned the nickname "Lolrado" in the community for reasons I've never quite understood. She does certainly pale in comparison to the North Carolina one tier above, but equally she's a distinct improvement over the New Mexico at T6. Possibly it's because of her speed alone, which really is almost embarrassing considering her competition. 

Edited by Dunnik

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,843 battles

I would never play Colorado for funzies, because that speed is just brutal, but when I have to — it’s a surprisingly fun ship, relatively tanky and hard-hitting. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,987 posts
5,224 battles
44 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Thanks

Pull up to the corner, unload the main battery into some poor unsuspecting schmuck, and toodle on.

Really, the American Standards are dead simple to play.  They are not simple to play well.  You have to understand the ship, understand the developing situation, decide how best to respond, then execute.  The ability to project the likely development of the situation is key.

As said above, she is tough, and her guns throw Mack trucks.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles
51 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Thanks

The problem with Colorado is when she was introduced , there were not many ships that had the same caliber sized MB as the colorado did. This made up for a lot of her other issues.. 

Now she has been powercrept quite hard, she was actually fun when she was one of the only Tier 7 BB's with 16 inch guns. 

[CAAT]
Members
6,270 posts
8,033 battles
43 minutes ago, Dunnik said:

Like all US Standard-type battleships, she's a big, slow target.

FTFY! Standard-Type battleships are ANYTHING but ugly, honestly. Ok, Colorado isn't the BEST-looking ship admittedly(in her current ingame configuration but this changes when we get Wee Vee '44, that ship is GORGEOUS!!!) but she's not THAT bad-lookin' :P

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,987 posts
5,224 battles
3 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Standard-Type battleships are ANYTHING but ugly

Maybe the better term would be "brutal".  Colorado to me projects the words on the Navy pennant, "Don't tread on me."

[1CVDV]
Members
308 posts
14,193 battles

i keep colorado in my port for the occasional outting...whats not to like when you smack a silly broadside cruiser for 17k-20k damage with a first blood....when her guns are on target she is brutal and i do mean brutal..even when uptiered if you play to her strengths she can make it out alive....

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
324 posts
4,905 battles
33 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

FTFY! Standard-Type battleships are ANYTHING but ugly, honestly. Ok, Colorado isn't the BEST-looking ship admittedly(in her current ingame configuration but this changes when we get Wee Vee '44, that ship is GORGEOUS!!!) but she's not THAT bad-lookin' :P

She has a face only a mother could love, and that mother is you =)

• Boring 1

[CAAT]
Members
6,270 posts
8,033 battles
6 minutes ago, Dunnik said:

She has a face only a mother could love, and that mother is you =)

O-Ok then....thanks. I think.

Shoot me embarrassed blah GIF on GIFER - by Perigra

I mean, to be fair, I do like some more "unique" designs (not everyone likes California for instance, they say she's too thicc yadda yadda, but I love her (aesthetically, not performance-wise) and by extension I like Minnesota as well for her aesthetic similarities to California)

Edited by SaiIor_Moon

[CAAT]
Members
6,270 posts
8,033 battles
30 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Maybe the better term would be "brutal".  Colorado to me projects the words on the Navy pennant, "Don't tread on me."

Well except the miniscule mini-funnels it has....honestly, if it got better-looking funnels, I'd like Colorado a LOT more.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,159 posts
30,915 battles

Colorado never was, and still is not good.

Back in the day, when German BBs were just arriving, the two existing BBs of Nagato and Colorado were easily supplanted by the faster, more dynamic, higher performing, more fun Scharnhorst.  It wasn't a competition for Scharnhorst because both Nagato and Colorado sucked.  She ruled even with having only 283mm guns vs the 406mm / 410mm guns on Colorado and Nagato.

All this, years before Nelson, King George V, Lyon, Sinop arrived in the game.

The LOLORADO just sucks.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CAAT]
Members
6,270 posts
8,033 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Colorado never was, and still is not good.

Back in the day, when German BBs were just arriving, the two existing BBs of Nagato and Colorado were easily supplanted by the faster, more dynamic, higher performing, more fun Scharnhorst.  It wasn't a competition for Scharnhorst because both Nagato and Colorado sucked.  She ruled even with having only 283mm guns vs the 406mm / 410mm guns on Colorado and Nagato.

All this, years before Nelson, King George V, Lyon, Sinop arrived in the game.

The LOLORADO just sucks.

Tbh, I think I can make Colorado work. Then again, I make California work, and she's objectively WORSE performance-wise than Colorado....

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,159 posts
30,915 battles
4 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Tbh, I think I can make Colorado work. Then again, I make California work, and she's objectively WORSE performance-wise than Colorado....

It used to be far worse for Colorado.  When I joined it was +/-3 Matchmaker and I was playing my Stock Colorado against Yamatos, Shimakazes, Hakuryus, and Midways.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I use her for Narai only.

Ive been taking the Strasbourg out in Narai this AM and was for the first time able to delete the full health Wyoming BB at game start from a few km.

I definitely will expect the colorado to do the same if i managed to close the range. Poof. Ive had the colo before in years ago grinding towards T10 back then. Now she is back via the completed grind this 4th.

[CAAT]
Members
6,270 posts
8,033 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It used to be far worse for Colorado.  When I joined it was +/-3 Matchmaker and I was playing my Stock Colorado against Yamatos, Shimakazes, Hakuryus, and Midways.

Did you just say +/-3 matchmaker?! What in the absolute....?!?!

SAILOR MOON! gif of funniness :3: sailormoon

How was that even a thing? That was a catastrophe waiting to happen, if you ask me.

Members
324 posts
1,749 battles

It's a brick, it moves like a brick, tanks damage like a brick, hits like a brick and has the dispersion of a brick.  I've had some people tell me that it doesn't fare as well in up-tiered matches, but otherwise, it's hard to kill if you angle your armor and hits like a mack truck ... when your shells actually hit your target.

[OGF]
Members
463 posts
9,764 battles

Crawlorado is one of those ships that at first you don't like much at all, but if you play enough of it then it starts to grow on you.

[MI-BR]
Members
265 posts
4,905 battles

I just happened to be grinding up the US line with New Mexico my top ship when they gave this away basically for playing a few games. Still learning it but very happy so far.

[PHLNX]
Members
556 posts
14,636 battles

Yeah, I enjoy talking Colorado out for Ops once in a while.  Slow, but I usually cause a lot of damage with her.