You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FogBattleshipYamato

I really want to like the Tone, but.......

14 comments in this topic

Members
21 posts
8,752 battles

After playing Tone for a while and i feel that she feels not as strong. As what the tile of the post says, I really want to like her, however, her weakness always shows up and i really think she needs a buff (mainly to her plane's hp) to help her. i know that she has ship mounted torpedoes along with the planes, but  with the angles. i don't see myself using them that often as i want too

here are my thoughts ton Tone comparing to Ise:

1) Ise is in the right tier matchmaking compared to tone. her opponents in her matchmaking usually have average AA power which makes most ships targetable (unless they a clumped up together or there is a sneaky T8/T7 around)
2) Ise's planes have (strangely enough) have slighty more hp than Tone's planes despite being the same plane modal
3) she can force ships to turn to show their citadels (as some people have mentioned in other post), where as Tone's planes are (i feel) limited to scouting as T8 is where AA gets really painful

idk if i am playing her wrong or something else, what do the people of the online world think?

Edited by Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Tone

[OPG4]
Members
1,203 posts
2,920 battles

Well if Tone’s planes cannot be used solely for a full on attack, I would suggest ways to minimize aa exposure:

fly behind islands, popo up and start the attack close to the ship.

See if a ship is stuck in some way so that it gives an easy shot for you, so less maneuvering needed in the aa bubbles

Examples include a cruiser beaching, or having to nose in to a BB, ships dodging torpedo spreads, or stationary BBs angling to your friendly BBs 

• Cool 1

Members
21 posts
8,752 battles

maneuvering is one thing, the speed to get there is another issue.

I have yet to find enemy ships that are beached and in prime spot to attack.

with  the high AA power of T8  ships, even with perfect attack runs, at least 2 of my plane with be shot down. its really the hp of the planes are my main issue. mind you that we can't affect the planes stats like CVs do

Members
968 posts
221 battles

I used to get Tone,

Didn't know WG was going to turn a magazine into a ship...... Wait, is this another paper ship?

image.png.582723be3c70bf15de5b5485fc59e10a.png

• Funny 1

Members
21 posts
8,752 battles
32 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

I used to get Tone,

Didn't know WG was going to turn a magazine into a ship...... Wait, is this another paper ship?

image.png.582723be3c70bf15de5b5485fc59e10a.png

Tone is a real steel ship that was built

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,141 posts
35,181 battles

Stop trying to play it like a carrier, and play it like a cruiser. Tight shell grouping are what I liked about it.

To me the planes were next to useless. Three minutes before the first flight, and a three minute reload. You’ll get a max of six flights, and the torpedoes are so anemic it’s not even funny.

Spotting utility is questionable at best, considering how few players seem to pay attention to such efforts and take advantage of it.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,488 posts
29,180 battles
4 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Stop trying to play it like a carrier, and play it like a cruiser. Tight shell grouping are what I liked about it.

To me the planes were next to useless. Three minutes before the first flight, and a three minute reload. You’ll get a max of six flights, and the torpedoes are so anemic it’s not even funny.

Spotting utility is questionable at best, considering how few players seem to pay attention to such efforts and take advantage of it.

Exactly this.  She isn't a bad cruiser with very tight groupings.  Her torps are good even if the arcs are painful.  

You can't really think of her planes as the primary weapon.  They turn her into one of the premier anti DD ships in the game with her scouting if something shows up on a flank.  If you can keep it spotted and people help, fine.  If not, you narrowed down the arc and you can set your hydro equipped cruiser after it. 

Her gun arcs are sufficient she does very well kiting away.  When you have gone dark and healing, send the planes out to pestor pursuers or help the team.

Edited by Warped_1

[TURTS]
[TURTS]
Members
179 posts
20,179 battles

Tone is a questionably high skill level ship. Its completely unlike the Ise. 

Ise is a battleship where you WANT to be dropping planes at every time you can. Its a fast reload for the planes at 120 seconds. And your speed, armor and range allow you to make any aggressive plays you want. And not be screwed over as much for a poor play. Ise is a very strong ship. It’s borderline OP in my opinion because the plane reload is so fast.

Tone on the other hand is a skilled katana. Its got alot of usage under its belt. Its not the strongest armored cruiser, but its sneaky. Its fast. Its got a heal; nothing really strong but that heal means you can quickly recover if you make a mistake and get hurt in a turn. You have a huge arsonal of weapons to be able to do crazy things like force a ship to avoid arial torpedoes and turn into your ship launched torpedoes. You got great firing arcs, and a nimble rudder shift. But the difference between the 2 is that the Tone is a technical and skilled tool. Your not going to be wanting to drop planes on colldown like Ise. You want to wait. Exploit cover and use your own ship as a support tool. Crosstorp. Spotting. Flanking. But you have to play it in a way that you use those planes when the opportunity arises.

Personally, I wish the plane reloads were swapped. I wish Ise had slightly worse accuracy and a longer plane regen time. While I wish tone had slightly better turret traverse and a faster plane regen to combat the higher dps of the AA she faces. She gains some speed in her planes to reduce the time in the AA damage zones, but its still going to be tough to traditionally strike like Ise. Also if the Tone had a fighter consumable or a spotter, it would be really good. But thats my dream.

I love both ships. And I hate the Kearsarge as its honestly looking like garbage. If they ga e Kearsarge HE bombers, I would be far more interested.

Edited by Thunder_GP
Spelling

Members
21 posts
8,752 battles
On 7/7/2021 at 12:15 AM, Warped_1 said:

Exactly this.  She isn't a bad cruiser with very tight groupings.  Her torps are good even if the arcs are painful.  

You can't really think of her planes as the primary weapon.  They turn her into one of the premier anti DD ships in the game with her scouting if something shows up on a flank.  If you can keep it spotted and people help, fine.  If not, you narrowed down the arc and you can set your hydro equipped cruiser after it. 

Her gun arcs are sufficient she does very well kiting away.  When you have gone dark and healing, send the planes out to pestor pursuers or help the team.

i see, so that's how i should have played her.

Thanks for the Information!

Members
21 posts
8,752 battles
On 7/7/2021 at 12:41 AM, Thunder_GP said:

I love both ships. And I hate the Kearsarge as its honestly looking like garbage. If they ga e Kearsarge HE bombers, I would be far more interested.

Yea, Kearsarge is really and weird duck for me. i i really wonder what WG has been thinking sometimes...

[WPORT]
Members
20,728 posts
22,656 battles

:cap_book::cap_yes::cap_look::cap_like::cap_popcorn:

[WAMMY]
Members
2,811 posts
17,406 battles

Hey

I bought Tone because we have been wanting her in game for a very long time BUT I have yet to play her myself.  She sounds like the ship is decent enough but the planes are half baked being 2 tiers up from ISE; typical Wargaming these days.

Pete

[DDG65]
Beta Testers
869 posts

that is why i did not pick up the Tone .  it WILL go up against tier 9 &10 AA most of the time if you try to use the planes , yeah sure you might get lucky now and then and be top tier ship .

I am sure it does alright in a gun/torp fight like any other cruiser.

come to think of it , Tone is rare sight in random and i do not recall ever seeing it in ranked. at least i have not seen it so far.