You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IRISHSDOWN

Question about Captain Halsey...or specialty captains

16 comments in this topic

[SAPP]
Members
226 posts
10,677 battles

So I just got Halsey.  Am I correct in saying I can move him to any of my premium ships without charge?  What about tech tree ships?  Thank you.  I'm thinking of putting him on my DM or Alaska.

Members
1,147 posts
1 hour ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

So I just got Halsey.  Am I correct in saying I can move him to any of my premium ships without charge?  What about tech tree ships?  Thank you.  I'm thinking of putting him on my DM or Alaska.

The rules for moving unique commanders between ships are no different from non-unique commander. You can move any commander to a Premium/Special ship of the same nation without having to retrain them. That means you can also move them back to the ship they're trained for without having to retrain them.

Only if you move a commander to a tech-tree (!) ship that they aren't trained for, you will need to retrain them.

Edited by tangofan
  • Thanks 3

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
419 posts
12,897 battles

he works the same way as any other captain in terms of ship training: he can be used on any US Premium and special ships without retraining. He can specialize in 1 tech tree ship, if you want to transfer him to another tech tree ship, he needs to be retrain the same way as any other captain.

My suggestion is to put him on a tech tree ship that would most benefit from his perks. My choice is the Des Moines. You can still use him on Premium ships like the Alaska. With the captain skill rework, you can also use him on Premium BBs like Georgia, Ohio, etc by using the BB branch of his captain tree while retaining the skills for his main specialty on cruisers. Same for premium DD or CV.

• Thanks 1

[DAS]
Members
121 posts
22,133 battles

Assign him to a favorite tech tree ship then you can move him to any American premium ship at no cost. I have mine on Des Moines. 

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,062 battles

A commander can only be trained for one tech tree ship at a time.  But, you can move any commander to any premium or special ship of that nation as much as you want.  Using him in a premium ship does not change his training for his tech tree ship.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

You will find you need to run the Confederate Achievement in order to trigger Halseys talents.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,147 posts
1 minute ago, xHeavy said:

You will find you need to run the Confederate Achievement in order to trigger Halseys talents.

This statement - while technically correct - has nothing to do with the question the the OP asked.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
24,016 battles

One thing you can do if you want to assign him to a different tech tree ship without incurring an XP or gold charge is to assign him to the new ship but use him in premiums until the free retraining finishes. Then you can use him in the new ship.

• Cool 1

[OFCS]
Beta Testers
173 posts
11,842 battles

Don’t forget that he and even regular captains now have separate skills for BBs, DDs, CAs, and CVs.  I have a 16 point Bentsen commander that I put in my Oklahoma and another 16 point tech tree CA or DD captain that I put in my Arkansas Beta. I have Halsey trained for DM but I also use him in my Salem and Alaska and Georgia and sometimes Massachusetts. 

I have John Doe from back when he was Steven Segall trained in my Buffalo but I also use him in my Alaska, Salem, Anchorage, and Massachusetts and sometimes Georgia.

I have them set up similar but with one or two slight differences just to try some things out.  They both have the buffed shell loader and grease the gears. 

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts
17 hours ago, tangofan said:

This statement - while technically correct - has nothing to do with the question the the OP asked.

The reason I did not specifically address the OP's Question is because 10 others have already provided the correct reason.

I am not a Parrot. Therefore repeating the correct answer specific to OP's question is a waste. Therefore it is good to remind OP that Halsey is more difficult than most special commanders to activate.

If you cannot post across and refrain from picking on me about little nickypicky [edited] stuff that I dont do for specific reasons stfu. The Subject is still about Halsey. Anything else such as your post is wasteful.

Edited by xHeavy

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles
On 7/5/2021 at 7:16 PM, desmo_2 said:

A commander can only be trained for one tech tree ship at a time. 

One tech tree ship per type.  You can use him on up to four tech tree ships without retrain provided they are different type (DD, CA/CL, BB, and CV).  Probably five once SB are in play.

Edit:   Sorry, I was wrong.  I've been running mostly Premium ships of late with one captain in all four types and just didn't mentally connect that it was because I was jumping to different types of Premium ships vice multiple tech tree ships.  Sorry for the bad advice. 

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[UNC]
Members
1,238 posts
7,459 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

One tech tree ship per type.  You can use him on up to four tech tree ships without retrain provided they are different type (DD, CA/CL, BB, and CV).  Probably five once SB are in play.

I haven't tested it, but I'm fairly sure that is incorrect.  Unless it has changed, captains can be specialized for only one ship at a time.  They can then freely move between the ship they are specialized for and any premiums at no charge, but cannot move to another tech tree ship without retraining.

Dang it... now I may have to go test it.

[BLUES]
Members
118 posts
21 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Thanks for the addition info. It's great when people answer the question, and then answer the next question we didn't even know to ask. Keep the helpful answers coming.

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
24,016 battles
3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Wouldn't that be nice. Tried it. You can't. Although the way skills are set up per type that would have made sense.

• Thanks 1

[AN2AC]
Members
393 posts
12,301 battles
4 hours ago, xHeavy said:

The reason I did not specifically address the OP's Question is because 10 others have already provided the correct reason.

I am not a Parrot. Therefore repeating the correct answer specific to OP's question is a waste.

yeah funny how one person answers the question, then another 10 parrots follow up ... do they not read the comments section?  ... or they copy the whole original post again and write something silly like "and this".. dipshits in my opinion.

• Meh 1

[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,593 battles
8 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

yeah funny how one person answers the question, then another 10 parrots follow up ... do they not read the comments section?  ... or they copy the whole original post again and write something silly like "and this".. dipshits in my opinion.

Some people read the OP then respond, not what I do but that is usually the reason.

That being said the confederate / double strike bonuses are nice but the faster gun traverse and shell swapping are worth keeping Halsey on DM.